Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

nsaP posted:

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/22058/9538348/what-was-said-when-lewis-hamilton-quit-mclaren-to-join-mercedes

I won't quote all the best so others can find their favorites, but this one I liked

“Without doubt Hamilton's move is a gamble, especially given his long-stated ambition to win multiple world titles. But with only one in five years at McLaren - likely to be six - and that back in 2008, he must now feel a change is required. For McLaren, losing their big-name star will hurt, but in Perez they are recruiting a potential future world champion” – Ann Gripper, Daily Mirror.

“Lewis Hamilton does not know much about racing history and so cannot learn from the mistakes of others. Perhaps he thinks that if it fails he will at least have the consolation of earning loads more money and being a bigger star, thanks to his hustling management that will sell his image here, there and everywhere. That might make him an international celebrity on a bigger scale than he is, but it will not make him a racing legend. Perhaps Mercedes will pull it off and then Hamilton will look clever, but I fear that this will be a move similar to James Hunt joining Wolf; Emerson Fittipaldi joining Fittipaldi, Jacques Villeneuve moving to BAR or Niki Lauda’s ill-fated move to Brabham. History relates that you do not leave a winning team in F1 unless it is to go to another proven winner…” - JJoc*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
If you guys are looking for some racing to watch in the offseason I would recommend Supercross.

Things I like more than F1:
  • Competitive racing - The rider skill and fitness is much more important than the machine they're riding so you don't have a Mercedes-like domination of everyone else on track. (Though to be fair there is a reigning vettel-like 4 time defending champion of the series)
  • Lot's of racing action. There is a 250 class (like GP2) and the 450 class, and each class has 3 heats/motos/LCQs before the main event.
  • Constantly changing track forcing everyone to use different lines, etc
  • Each moto begins with a start gate drop where it's anyone's race at that point. Where they line up in the gate is dependant on their choice (and how well they qualified).
  • Fun ragdoll crashes (usually) not ending in catastrophy

• The governing body must not suck balls because there are full races on youtube. I don't know that they're sanctioned, but they seem to stay up well.

Things I don't like more than F1:
  • Being an american racing series, it's more commercialized and "I'd like to thank my Prostar MX THOR Answer 100% Redbull Honda KTM Geico team for their support, the Dunlop tires were really hooking up tonight"
  • The racers, especially a lot of the young 250 riders are really unpolished in interviews, it's really cringe-worthy at times
  • No Evil Bernie as far as I can tell
  • I like the Sky commentors more than Ralph Shaheen and Ricky Carmichael (Jeff Emig is a great commentator, though).
  • This is cheese in a can compared to the "caviar" of F1

A good 5 part documentary done by CBS sports last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9axdB5A0YfA

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ferrari's so bad they're begging Aldo Costa to come back.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

dreesemonkey posted:

[*]No Evil Bernie as far as I can tell

Implying there is a good Bernie.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Riso posted:

Bernie Worrell is pretty cool.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Riso posted:

The 2014 Ferrari's main problem is not even close to being the aero. It's the ridiculously weak and small power unit.

Yes but the intention with the weak tiny power unit was to get better gains with aero. Somebody sat down at Ferrari, crunched the aero and engine data and thought this was a brilliant idea.

And after years of them being nowhere with aero and them even struggling to correlate the data from the Toyota wind tunnel to on track data nobody thought to raise the point that maybe they don't know what they're talking about and this small engine idea could be a bust.

Ferrari's main problem is a personnel problem.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Riso posted:

Bernie in an urn would be quite good.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

1500quidporsche posted:

Ferrari's main problem is that they've forgotten how to cheat. McLaren, then Brawn, then Red Bull and now Mercedes. They've all bent the rules and/or broken them to their advantage whilst Ferrari have kept their noses clean.

Ferrari used to be a disgrace because of their cheating and whining. Now they are just a disgrace because they are poo poo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

1500quidporsche posted:

Fire the Italians

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
you guys are going to cry a lot when #ferrarfinger picks up every title from 2015 to 2025

#vlessed

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
the problem is noone gives a poo poo if ferrari wins anymore

RBR is the new F1 posterboy and gets the rules bent on it's whim.

Ferrari aren't being spoonfed wins anymore

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I give a poo poo because Ferrari is the most incredibly good and cool team in the history of motorsport.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Alain Post posted:

I give a poo poo because Ferrari is the most incredibly good and cool team in the history of motorsport.

no thats sebastian vettle

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Riso posted:

Hey man, Bernie says think before you drive!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

captainOrbital posted:

Hey man, Bernie says think before you drive!

I wish Bernie would think about driving off a bridge.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I really do wonder when (if?) Vettel is going to win another championship.

Heck, a race win?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Falken posted:

I really do wonder when (if?) Vettel is going to win another championship.

Heck, a race win?

The way things are going you should be wondering when he's going to get points.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Alain Post posted:

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

1500quidporsche posted:

The way things are going you should be wondering when he's going to get points.

He should be worrying about beating Kimi first.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Ferrari is the most vile wretched team in history of sports now paired up with the worst driver and it's going to be tasty when they continue their horrible streak next year.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

you guys are going to cry a lot when #ferrarfinger picks up every title from 2015 to 2025

#vlessed
I'll eat my own hair if he even takes one WDC with the Scud. Toxx me on that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gmaz posted:

Ferrari is the most vile wretched team in history of sports now paired up with the worst driver and it's going to be tasty when they continue their horrible streak next year.

Now I know why they call this the worst thread!!!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Here's an interesting thought, a few years ago the Ferrari factory was picked as the nicest place to work in Europe by some business magazine. Why is it so lovely to work for the race team, then?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

Ferrari's main problem is that they've forgotten how to cheat. McLaren, then Brawn, then Red Bull and now Mercedes. They've all bent the rules and/or broken them to their advantage whilst Ferrari have kept their noses clean.

Ferrari used to be a disgrace because of their cheating and whining. Now they are just a disgrace because they are poo poo.

Pretty much, Kimi's WDC was the last of their cheating that worked

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
What interests me most about Mattiacci leaving is how it could have any bearing on Vettel. Ostensibly he would have made promises and guarantees to Vettel in order to lure him over from Red Bull, which his replacement might not care about upholding, much like how Mattiacci didn't care about taking Alonso's poo poo when he replaced Domenicali. I've heard from some places that their 2015 car is looking to be even worse than the 2014 one so it's gonna be real interesting how that affects things if that's the case next year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think we can clearly say in advance that Ferrari's poor results will entirely be Vettel's fault.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
it sucks that vettle will have an excuse other than being poo poo

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

be nice wicka posted:

that's loving hilarious. ferrari are great. revolving door of mediocre italian businessmen. last time ferrari were good they were run by a frenchman and a brit. hmmmmmmmmmm

This is so 100% true.

I've been saying this since Todt left - they're hosed until they can get rid of all the under-qualified Italians that Montezemolo hired simply because they're Italian.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So much racism ITT.

Being Italian isn't a crime. :italy:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I can't wait for Are Dan to sweep up the 2015 WDC

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I hate Are Dan now.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
aredan grin cant overcome the RBR uniform

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I'm conflicted because I hate Horner, but love Dan.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"Ferrari is the soul of F1" - Senna.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Human Grand Prix posted:

"I want to keep my options open if this williams thing doesnt pan out" - Sennas Internal monologue when he said that dumb poo poo.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Human Grand Prix posted:

Bernie has no soul.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Dubs posted:

the problem is noone gives a poo poo if ferrari wins anymore

RBR is the new F1 posterboy and gets the rules bent on it's whim.

Ferrari aren't being spoonfed wins anymore

RBR F1: Bending rules like front wings

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MattD1zzl3 posted:

"I want to keep my options open if this williams thing doesnt pan out" - Sennas Internal monologue when he said that dumb poo poo.

Well, he was right about Williams.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

RALF posted:

Not that I doubt that next year's Ferrari will be loving terrible (because that sounds likely), but does anyone have any links to leaks/rumors/theories regarding this?

The Axis of Oversteer post I linked earlier. And Axis is a pretty hardcore tifosi, he's not one to talk Maranello down unless there's something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

"Italians work wonders when they get their u know what kicked and literally strive when they’re close to the precipice."

Lol.

• Locked thread