Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

I remember when I bought my first digital camera, it came with a whopping 16 MB memory card.

The first digital camera I used didn't have a memory card. You slid a floppy into it and it saved pictures on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The first digital camera I used didn't have a memory card. You slid a floppy into it and it saved pictures on that.

One of these?

We had one of these at my second real job and I thought if was the coolest thing ever.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Oh yeah, well in my last year of high school I used Dropbox.

wait

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I was in high school during that weird fuzzy period between floppies (though our computers still had the ports) and flash drives, so we had to write everything to CDs.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was in high school during that weird fuzzy period between floppies (though our computers still had the ports) and flash drives, so we had to write everything to CDs.

I had a home computer with an internal Zip drive and a separate floppy drive. A friend with one of those SuperDisk drives that was 120MB but backwards compatible with 1.44MB floppies. I was jealous because clearly, clearly that was the future of storage.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the people from Blossum are up to now.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

I wonder what the people from Blossum are up to now.

Well Blossom I think is semi-regular on the Big Bang Theory and Joey turned into a wax figure and made an amazingly lame sitcom with Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

I think Anthony returned to being an alcoholic?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

10", you young whippersnapper.

Your memory is going, old man, they were 8" floppies. I've got a box still in the closet from when I had the PDP-11.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

One of these?

We had one of these at my second real job and I thought if was the coolest thing ever.

I believe it was that exact model.

This was the first digital camera I owned, the Polaroid Fun Flash 640.

From a PC Mag review of it:

quote:

The number of shots taken—not the number remaining—displays on the control panel; the 2MB of built-in memory can save up to 18 images.

There was a feature to let it take a smaller-sized image, but it was aggravating to set. The review also brags on the image quality. If there was so much as a breeze, the picture looked horrendous.

Speaking of demos, I think it had to be a demo of Crystal Caliburn pinball that I got for the Mac as I sure don't remember anyone buying it. It was awesome.

AOL sent a different type of demo once, via MAD Magazine. AOL bundled with a sampler of greatest hits: It's a Gas, Barely Alive, Green Jelly's Blind Date. I still have that one.

KING EGG
Dec 1, 2000

Saturday is "Treat Day"

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I believe it was that exact model.

This was the first digital camera I owned, the Polaroid Fun Flash 640.

From a PC Mag review of it:

There was a feature to let it take a smaller-sized image, but it was aggravating to set. The review also brags on the image quality. If there was so much as a breeze, the picture looked horrendous.

gently caress Polaroid's digital cameras, gently caress them and may they burn in hell. I had the PDC2020, used the crummy SmartMedia Card format. The image quality is what I could only describe as grainy balls covered in baby diarrhea. I paid $200 in 2003 for that thing. It had a horrible interpolated mode that increased its resolution which made everything much, much worse.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
My first own digital camera was actually a cellphone camera on the Siemens S55. It was an additional component that snapped into the bottom port and actually had a flash, a feature missing from many other phones from then on out. Picture quality was surprisingly decent, but storage space was limited as hell(a whole 1MB)

I got the phone and a bunch of accessories for cheap off eBay in late 2003, and it was quite amazing for its time: Triband, color screen, MIDI ringtones, Bluetooth and IR, Java apps, e-mail, GPRS data connectivity, and a serial data cable to synchronize your contacts and calendar with Outlook, battery life of over a week.

Still one of the best phones I ever owned.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Smoke posted:

battery life of over a week.

How I miss not having to charge my phone every other day.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Aristophanes posted:

This is less 'obsolescence' and more marvelling at the progress of technology. In my first year of high school we had to have a USB flash drive, and I bought a 1GB drive for about $25. Today, I just got a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive for a little under $10.

I remember at school in about 1998/1999 our computer teacher telling us about ridiculously expensive RAM was and how criminals, at least in the UK, would break into offices and just rip the RAM out of computers. He even showed us a video about this!

This site seems to tell you the price of memory through the years. I think my teacher was a bit out of date as the price for 1998 hovers between $1-3/MB but in the 80s it was $150-$8000/MB.

Its $0.0085/MB now. That's 117 times cheaper than $1/MB.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Coffee And Pie posted:

That was college for me. 2000-2004.

My school had a "laptop program", so every incoming student had to either buy a laptop from the school or bring one that met the specs,. Most bought from the school, which were Thinkpads (I think my incoming class had T20s? it was back when IBM still owned the brand.) They had a floppy drive, but it was a unit that was "hot swap-able" with the CD drive. Technically. These things ran Windows 98, so "hot swapping" was a misnomer. You always had to make sure to go into the control panel and tell it to eject the drive, and then, and only then, could you remove the CD drive and put in the floppy. And even then it would still sometimes freeze up, or not recognize the drive. It was pretty much always best to save whatever you were doing and shutdown to swap it.

By about my sophomore year, most people's floppy drives stopped working, but it was still too soon for flash drives to be a "thing" (I remember seeing ads for them in things like TigerDirect, and it would be like $40 for a 10MB drive, and no guarantee it would work on any computer you plugged it into, so you'd have to also have a floppy or CD drive wit the drivers, etc...)

For the most part, we'd email our assignments to the professor or TA, but I was an engineering student, so sometimes I've had a large collection of (sometimes very large) files for a project that was too big to email. The laptops they provided us with only had CD drives, not CD-R drives, so the solution was either store them on your shared network drive and use one of the computers in the computer lab to burn it to a CD, or go out and buy your own external CD-R drive. I chose the latter, since I lived off-campus. But man, that thing was FLAKY. It came with the worlds shortest USB cable, like less than a foot, and warned to NEVER use a cable extender or USB hub. And since these were oh-so-modern laptops, they also had a whopping 1 USB port, and no PS/2 mouse port (though they did have a PS/2 keyboard port, for some reason.) They also only had a nipple/clit mouse, which I hate, which I guess makes me weird her in goon-land, as all I ever see are praises for clit-mice. Mine started "drifting" tot he right within the first few months I had it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

It came with the worlds shortest USB cable

Some of them still do :argh:

I bought a swank LaCie multi-burner for my netbook earlier this year and the cable they packaged with it is less than 6" long.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

duckmaster posted:

I remember at school in about 1998/1999 our computer teacher telling us about ridiculously expensive RAM was and how criminals, at least in the UK, would break into offices and just rip the RAM out of computers. He even showed us a video about this!

This site seems to tell you the price of memory through the years. I think my teacher was a bit out of date as the price for 1998 hovers between $1-3/MB but in the 80s it was $150-$8000/MB.

The first computer I remember my parents buying (as opposed to a work computer) was from Costco, and we added extra RAM for only $25/MB. For only $200 we went from 8 to 16MB!

My first computer had 5MB RAM after I upgraded it. It was just enough for Windows 3.11 and AOL. I eventually got Windows NT 4 on there before I scrapped it. I also got Windows 95 on there when it came out, but had to transfer CAB files from my parent's computer spanned over two floppies apiece, which took a long loving time.

Man, even typing MB seems wrong. My phone has 400 times the RAM of my first computer.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Nov 25, 2014

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
This discussion on prices finally explains those parts of Neuromancer where stealing RAM was a big deal.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Wasn't there a big settlement earlier this year that was the result of a class-action lawsuit alleging price-gouging by RAM manufacturers? :laugh:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

duckmaster posted:

I remember in 1996 rushing out of school (literally cutting class) because there was a sale on sale on 8 MB EDO RAM for $8/MB.

As I recall there was some massive fire at a plant in Singapore or something like that which caused a shortage in the late 90s.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Antifreeze Head posted:

I remember in 1996 rushing out of school (literally cutting class) because there was a sale on sale on 8 MB EDO RAM for $8/MB.

As I recall there was some massive fire at a plant in Singapore or something like that which caused a shortage in the late 90s.

Yeah I totally remember taking advantage of some "sale" and spending I think like $200 to put 24 megs of RAM in my Pentium 200. Ran the gently caress out of things though!

Earlier this week, I spent maybe $80 total to bring my main ESX server up to 32 gigs. :v:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

duckmaster posted:

Chip theft at HP Germany (in German; translated by Google).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Antifreeze Head posted:

There was a boom and bust in that timeframe. The computer market in '94 was huge and everyone expected the same demand in '95 so there was a lot of inventory produced, especially because Windows 95 was coming out. The market was actually softer than expected, but the clone manufacturers were stockpiling RAM in anticipation of sales that didn't happen, so them buying up much of the supply kept prices high. This in turn made the RAM producers invest in more fabrication capacity, eventually producing even more RAM when the demand wasn't really there. And then Sumitomo in Japan, which produced some big fraction of the resins used in RAM fabrication, blew up, so prices spiked.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-07-05/business/fi-10241_1_epoxy-resin

But then once the piipeline filled up everyone realized there was too much RAM for demand and price wars began and prices bottomed. Intel, Compaq, etc. dumped their stockpiles and by mid-1996 everything was really cheap.

I remember spending $450 for 16 megabytes. Yeesh.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My first RAM upgrade was from 2 to 4MB in my 486SX.. It cost about $200 in 1992 or therabouts.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DrBouvenstein posted:

That was college for me. 2000-2004.

My school had a "laptop program", so every incoming student had to either buy a laptop from the school or bring one that met the specs,. Most bought from the school, which were Thinkpads (I think my incoming class had T20s? it was back when IBM still owned the brand.) They had a floppy drive, but it was a unit that was "hot swap-able" with the CD drive. Technically. These things ran Windows 98, so "hot swapping" was a misnomer. You always had to make sure to go into the control panel and tell it to eject the drive, and then, and only then, could you remove the CD drive and put in the floppy. And even then it would still sometimes freeze up, or not recognize the drive. It was pretty much always best to save whatever you were doing and shutdown to swap it.

By about my sophomore year, most people's floppy drives stopped working, but it was still too soon for flash drives to be a "thing" (I remember seeing ads for them in things like TigerDirect, and it would be like $40 for a 10MB drive, and no guarantee it would work on any computer you plugged it into, so you'd have to also have a floppy or CD drive wit the drivers, etc...)

For the most part, we'd email our assignments to the professor or TA, but I was an engineering student, so sometimes I've had a large collection of (sometimes very large) files for a project that was too big to email. The laptops they provided us with only had CD drives, not CD-R drives, so the solution was either store them on your shared network drive and use one of the computers in the computer lab to burn it to a CD, or go out and buy your own external CD-R drive. I chose the latter, since I lived off-campus. But man, that thing was FLAKY. It came with the worlds shortest USB cable, like less than a foot, and warned to NEVER use a cable extender or USB hub. And since these were oh-so-modern laptops, they also had a whopping 1 USB port, and no PS/2 mouse port (though they did have a PS/2 keyboard port, for some reason.) They also only had a nipple/clit mouse, which I hate, which I guess makes me weird her in goon-land, as all I ever see are praises for clit-mice. Mine started "drifting" tot he right within the first few months I had it.

That generation of thinkpad has a base station deal that adds extra ports. I just threw one out yesterday. Best laptops from the win 98 era were those Sony VIAO 505's that were small as gently caress. I had one and it weighed maybe 1 pound and was less than half an inch thick. It was so small that to plug it into a modem you had to use a pop out port because the body of the computer was too thin to have one.

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Nov 25, 2014

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
My parents made the excellent decision to buy a Mac as our first family computer ca. 1995. Roughly £1500 for a Power Macintosh Performa 5200/75 LC with 500 MB HDD, 8MB RAM and a blistering fast 75 MHz CPU. I spent over a month's wages as a 1411 year old kid to upgrade to 16MB RAM, all the while paying about £50 per game when I could scrape together enough cash. Doom was sort of playable if you shrank the viewable window down, and C&C was little better than a slideshow.

Childhood trauma if you ask me.

old bean factory has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Nov 25, 2014

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Collateral Damage posted:

My first RAM upgrade was from 2 to 4MB in my 486SX.. It cost about $200 in 1992 or therabouts.

Mine was an 8 kilobyte expansion cartridge for the VIC-20 and it cost about the same in the early 80s.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

duckmaster posted:

1991 I was a junior programmer and got into work early one day to find the front door of of the office building had been sledgehammered down, and about 100 desktop Pcs had been torn open and 4MB of memory removed from each. About £13000 in memory in total, plus most of the monitors had been smashed at they'd been thrown onto the floor.

Amazingly the thieves were caught and at trial their defence was that we'd contracted them in to repair the memory and thats why the Pcs were opened like that. Needless to say our IT manager didn't agree with the story when giving evidence.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Gromit posted:

Mine was an 8 kilobyte expansion cartridge for the VIC-20 and it cost about the same in the early 80s.

Well, you easily trumped what I was about to post :P I'm sure every Amiga 500 owner remembers paying about $100 for the pretty much mandatory 512kb expansion card.

Lol, this website http://www.vesalia.de/e_a500ramexp.htm is still charging 30 euro for them.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Baconroll posted:

Amazingly the thieves were caught and at trial their defence was that we'd contracted them in to repair the memory and thats why the Pcs were opened like that. Needless to say our IT manager didn't agree with the story when giving evidence.

... You have to hand it to them, that takes some serious balls.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That generation of thinkpad has a base station deal that adds extra ports. I just threw one out yesterday. Best laptops from the win 98 era were those Sony VIAO 505's that were small as gently caress. I had one and it weighed maybe 1 pound and was less than half an inch thick. It was so small that to plug it into a modem you had to use a pop out port because the body of the computer was too thin to have one.

I do corporate moves, and I see a LOT of those around. They security dock in with a key for places like health clinics and such, and have 6 extra USB ports, VGA monitor, printer port and battery backup. They actually make a lot of sense for those kinds of places.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My high school storage format was a usb zip 250 drive, which at the time actually was probably about the best portable storage you could get. Way bigger than a floppy, didn't require extra power cords or a CD burner. I felt like I was ahead of the curve for once there, and the drive and discs still work to this day. I liked zip and never really had the click problems. Maybe the 250s were better constructed or something.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

mng posted:

How I miss not having to charge my phone every other day.

If they gave me a phone that was like a regular smartphone but the battery was an inch thick, I would buy every one they made.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Gromit posted:

In ten years people will talk about gigabytes like this.

future me posted:

LOL in 2014 I paid $60 for six gigabytes of memory, just upgraded ten exabytes for twenty bucks #memory #RAM #future #rememberWW3thatwasfun

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

MondayHotDog posted:

In my first year of high school we were still using floppies.

There was still a diskette dispenser in my college when I entered it. USB drives were getting pretty common by then and people were turning in their reports and all on burned disks.
I remember a poor sod using one of the diskettes from the dispenser and losing all her coursework.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Caedus posted:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I do corporate moves, and I see a LOT of those around. They security dock in with a key for places like health clinics and such, and have 6 extra USB ports, VGA monitor, printer port and battery backup. They actually make a lot of sense for those kinds of places.

Every generation of ThinkPads has a dock, though for some ultraportable models it could be standard. Like my X32 came with one I think, as it didn't have a cd drive built in. I'm now typing this on a T520 plugged into a dock, which was optional and totally awesome. Even in a regular corporate office it's great to be able to quickly secure the laptop and have it connect to the bigass monitor, ethernet and all the other crap. I hope docks don't become obsolete technology.

Speaking of ultraportables, I used to have one of Compaq M300 that I bought refurbished while in college. Mine had XGA resolution which on an 11" screen was pretty nice and the performance with Windows 2000 was decent as well. Also I definitely recall people using floppies early on too.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

IndustrialApe posted:

There was still a diskette dispenser in my college when I entered it. USB drives were getting pretty common by then and people were turning in their reports and all on burned disks.
I remember a poor sod using one of the diskettes from the dispenser and losing all her coursework.

Yeah, those were the cheapest, nastiest diskettes you could find. I had a few get stuck in the drive because the sliding metal guard thing deformed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mobby_6kl posted:

I hope docks don't become obsolete technology.

I don't think this will happen until laptops themselves are rendered obsolete. They're far too useful in corporate/office settings to go away, and I'm sure they're a highly profitable accessory for OEMs. Before I had an office job I didn't think they were worth having but when you routinely connect your laptop at the same place every day they're indispensable.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Geoj posted:

I don't think this will happen until laptops themselves are rendered obsolete. They're far too useful in corporate/office settings to go away, and I'm sure they're a highly profitable accessory for OEMs. Before I had an office job I didn't think they were worth having but when you routinely connect your laptop at the same place every day they're indispensable.

Or until everything works wirelessly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah, those were the cheapest, nastiest diskettes you could find. I had a few get stuck in the drive because the sliding metal guard thing deformed.

3½″ floppy quality went to poo poo in the twilight years. They were worthless for anything but sneakernet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

duckmaster posted:

In ten years people will talk about gigabytes like this.

Look at this glorb, still using hashtags. %grandpa %obamatron4000 %kony