Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Sounds quite interesting, I do have to say that part of Big Finish's appeal is that they get to actually give characters a chance to develop some depth and explore some themes that seemed to be lurking under the surface of the mostly self-contained stories from the 80s. I can't say I'm particularly excited to hear MORE Adric, but that's because I'm only familiar with him from television and it might be nice to see somebody actually try to provide some context to his actions.

And more Tegan is ALWAYS good.

The other story in the Box Set, Iterations of I, is a stand alone story, but it plays more to the strengths of the characters than their fears. It's a very unique take on the "base under siege" - it kind of reminded me of the horror flick Prince of Darkness in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Apparently, Catherine Tregenna–who wrote the Torchwood episode "Out of Time" (which personally, I loved) among others–will be writing an episode for series 9, becoming the first female writer for the show since Helen Raynor's Sontaran two-parter in 2008.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Astroman posted:

A lot of people say Vicki is just a low rent Susan replacement, but I always had a soft spot for the Vicki/Steven TARDIS team and that era. This was a great return to form. I'm definitely on board for more Peter Purves audios, and same for T Bakes. The interviews after his were awesome. :allears:

Do people really say this? Because it's nonsense. Vicki is lightyears better than Susan, who is barely a character.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TinTower posted:

Apparently, Catherine Tregenna–who wrote the Torchwood episode "Out of Time" (which personally, I loved) among others–will be writing an episode for series 9, becoming the first female writer for the show since Helen Raynor's Sontaran two-parter in 2008.

Where was this announced? Do we have a listing of writers for next season, or did she just comeout and say that herself?

If it's the former, is the Mummy/Flatline guy back on?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Out of Time was one of the few legitimately good episodes of Torchwood, so I'm excited.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Cleretic posted:

Current rumours say yes.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cleretic posted:

Where was this announced? Do we have a listing of writers for next season, or did she just comeout and say that herself?

It's on her online CV. Tregenna, for what's worth, also wrote "Captain Jack Harkness", "Meat", and "Adam".

Getting more female writers was something Neil Gaiman really wanted, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the series 9 list too.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Astroman posted:

I just finished my first 4th Doctor, and Peter Purves/1st Doctor, audios. Both were really good. Peter Purves' Hartnell isn't as good as Frazer Hines' Troughton, but it's still quite good. He does a solid job of channeling his younger self, but Maureen O'Brien really stole the show as Vicki. Uncanny. Even more so then Wendy Padbury's Zoe, if only because of the sheer difference when she uses her "normal" voice narrating.

Now try a William Russell/1st Doctor story, he's wonderful to listen to. :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CobiWann posted:

The other story in the Box Set, Iterations of I, is a stand alone story, but it plays more to the strengths of the characters than their fears. It's a very unique take on the "base under siege" - it kind of reminded me of the horror flick Prince of Darkness in a way.

"I" is also hilarious.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

"I" is also hilarious.

"Fish and chips?"

"Oi, step off."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Now try a William Russell/1st Doctor story, he's wonderful to listen to. :allears:

"The Library of Alexandria" is great. So is "The Revenants."

I enjoy listening to Russell. He's got a great narrator voice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

"I" is also hilarious.

Withnail &...?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I looked at the Torchwood audios and of course, noted not very good Big Finish writer, Joseph Lidster, wrote the first one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
No one but this thread seems to realize how rubbish Lidster is. :smith:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DoctorWhat posted:

No one but this thread seems to realize how rubbish Lidster is. :smith:

Anyone I've met that's a Who fan has had no time for him. Although most seem to hate Chris Chibnall more.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fil5000 posted:

Although most seem to hate Chris Chibnall more.

The man gave us Cyberwoman, I don't think anyone can be blamed for that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Timby posted:

The man gave us Cyberwoman, I don't think anyone can be blamed for that.

He also gave us Broadchurch, though... he may be worth hating in the context of Doctor Who, but he clearly has the potential for talented writing!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

His Doctor Who episodes seem fairly inoffensive at worst, too, to be honest, it's his Torchwood work people probably hate him for. I haven't seen it, so I can't really judge if any of the problems in his work are universal or not.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bicyclops posted:

His Doctor Who episodes seem fairly inoffensive at worst, too

Outside of the Silurian two-parter.

Christ that was dire.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Timby posted:

Christ that was dire.

Even that one just falls victim to the major problem with Silurian stories which is that they are all exactly same story, and at least this time they had the excuse that they were attempting to update it for the revival. It very definitely should not have been a two-parter and it could have used a lighter touch, but it's not awful.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Timby posted:

Christ that was dire.

I dunno. It wasn't the best, certainly, but I wouldn't call "The Hungry Earth" and "Cold Blood" bad so much as just kind of there. Kinda middle of the road, forgettable stuff except for the last couple of minutes where Rory's death was pretty well handled. Maybe it's just me, but while I'm in no hurry to re-watch them, I'm likewise not putting 'em on any Worst Who Story lists or anything. :shrug:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

docbeard posted:

as well as A Christmas Carol

What's this now? Doctor Who never did a Christmas Carol episode. I watched everything in Netflix a while back and I never...

...never...

:aaa:

Oh my God. I never saw this. Googling tells me Netflix didn't use to have this, apparently. I've never seen this episode!

I have a new episode of Matt Smith Doctor Who to watch! And it has Michael Gambon?!

I know what I'm doing for the next hour.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

thrawn527 posted:

What's this now? Doctor Who never did a Christmas Carol episode. I watched everything in Netflix a while back and I never...

...never...

:aaa:

Oh my God. I never saw this. Googling tells me Netflix didn't use to have this, apparently. I've never seen this episode!

I have a new episode of Matt Smith Doctor Who to watch! And it has Michael Gambon?!

I know what I'm doing for the next hour.

I can't remember now how good it was, but I remember it had a bunch of really good bits

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You fortunate bastard. You better report back on your impressions when you finish, dammit! We don't get enough first watch responses to old episodes around here. About the only place it comes into effect is over in the Occ/Oxx thread.

Of course, I do keep stumbling on more and more minisodes. I only found out about these two yesterday when someone mentioned the TARDIS in a TARDIS thing with a link!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Christmas Carol one is my favorite Doctor Who Christmas episode, but I am admittedly a huge sucker for A Christmas Carol.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sylvester McCoy continues to defy the laws of physics:

I half-expect that one day, Sly'll be doing an interview and his hat'll start spinning around in midair like Homsar.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What you're not seeing is that photo was taken with the camera upside-down. The ground is at the top of the shot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
7 wore glasses?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Little_wh0re posted:

I can't remember now how good it was, but I remember it had a bunch of really good bits

It's easily the best Christmas special and is actually in my top ten for the revival in general.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

TinTower posted:

Hmm, that was one of the few I liked.

TinTower posted:

It's on her online CV. Tregenna, for what's worth, also wrote "Captain Jack Harkness", "Meat", and "Adam".

Getting more female writers was something Neil Gaiman really wanted, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the series 9 list too.

Oh ... so this could go either way then.

Bicyclops posted:

His Doctor Who episodes seem fairly inoffensive at worst, too, to be honest, it's his Torchwood work people probably hate him for. I haven't seen it, so I can't really judge if any of the problems in his work are universal or not.

No, it's not just his utter garbage in Torchwood. He was also responsible for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and that bullshit with the little black boxes that really showed how Chibnall just doesn't get how to put together a loving story. The Silurian two-parter and 42 weren't his worst, but they were also loving dull for the most part. Rory's death scene was undoubtedly written in by Moffat to fill out the story arc, so he probably doesn't deserve credit for that either.

Also, at least one of his episodes of Life in Mars was the only one I wanted to spin through because it was so loving dreary, and I didn't even realize he wrote it until afterwards where I said to myself, "Who the gently caress wrote that boring shite," took a look at the credits, and went. "Oh."

When he's at his best, he's merely deadly dull. When he's at his worst, he's offensively bad. He is a Bad. Writer.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I didn't think 42 or The Power of Three were that bad (granted, I haven't seen 42 in a pretty long time), and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship just had the same problems everything in that half-season did.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship just had the same problems everything in that half-season did.

I'm torn about that episode, because on the one hand, I don't feel like it lived up to its stated/potential premise at all, but David Bradley and those Mitchell & Webb robots were great, at least.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Stuporstar posted:

Hmm, that was one of the few I liked.

Oh ... so this could go either way then.

No, it's not just his utter garbage in Torchwood. He was also responsible for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and that bullshit with the little black boxes that really showed how Chibnall just doesn't get how to put together a loving story. The Silurian two-parter and 42 weren't his worst, but they were also loving dull for the most part. Rory's death scene was undoubtedly written in by Moffat to fill out the story arc, so he probably doesn't deserve credit for that either.

Also, at least one of his episodes of Life in Mars was the only one I wanted to spin through because it was so loving dreary, and I didn't even realize he wrote it until afterwards where I said to myself, "Who the gently caress wrote that boring shite," took a look at the credits, and went. "Oh."

When he's at his best, he's merely deadly dull. When he's at his worst, he's offensively bad. He is a Bad. Writer.

I think he wrote the Life on Mars where the guy in police custody ends up dead by Ray force feeding him drugs. Which was, if I recall, managed to fail on matching the tone of the rest of the series and on sticking to any sort of characterisation that was already laid out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

I'm torn about that episode, because on the one hand, I don't feel like it lived up to its stated/potential premise at all, but David Bradley and those Mitchell & Webb robots were great, at least.

I guess if I consider it, it is definitely elevated by the performances more than the writing or the direction.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Christmas special title announced: Last Christmas.

"Last Christmas, I gave you my heart (good thing I have two)."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

7 wore glasses?

2 had a recorder?????

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

7 wore glasses?

In real life, yes. Or contacts. You can see them when he's riding a motorcycle in Survival.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

In real life, yes. Or contacts. You can see them when he's riding a motorcycle in Survival.

Next you'll be telling me Five wore glasses!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm sure half or more of the thread already knows, but Katy Manning was as blind as a bat without her glasses, too!

Hence the adorable hand-holding with Pertwee - otherwise, she'd ACTUALLY be constantly twisting her ankle and running into trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

Not just Survival, he wears them in Silver Nemesis as well.

• Locked thread