Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Tekopo please use this when posting the French orders

we want them to achieve full immersion after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
:wtc: is that thing?! It'd probably be faster to just send a cavalry courier than try to translate...that!

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

It wouldn't! :eng101:

That's a Chappe semaphore, essentially an early telegraph. Using them, a message could get from Paris to Strasbourg in six minutes.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

All I want to know is Why the alphabet is right-to-left on the translation

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

If Napoleon had won, we would all be writing backwards.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Just a quick historical fact that I feel is relevant here, for the benefit of the Allied forces.

You lose this battle. You lose this battle very badly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fat Turkey posted:

Just a quick historical fact that I feel is relevant here, for the benefit of the Allied forces.

You lose this battle. You lose this battle very badly.
Man, if only there had been something within the title of this game that could have warned them about this fact :v:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Hold up, I'm no historian but I'm PRETTY sure Napoleon was the leader of the combined prussian and austrian forces?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Again:

frankenfreak posted:

Also, Prussians? At Austerlitz? Is that the kind of dirty tricks silvergoose was talking about?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I think I'm in the wrong war

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Maybe, maybe not. Keep waiting for those airstrikes to soften up the French before you attack!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

##threat ON THE ENTIRE BATTLEFIELD

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Been frantically searching the manual for rules on Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles with no luck, any help?!

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

I really like how cavalry work in this game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Morholt posted:

I really like how cavalry work in this game.
In what way? When I first started playing NT, I didn't see them as that much different than infantry, but they have a few crucial rules that really make them stand out and be a lot more mobile (and hard-hitting) than infantry. Feinting on road movement/going on approach on road movement/being able to retreat without casualties make them excellent screening and exploitation forces that largely work better detached, while they are still useful in head-on attacks due to their ability to ignore if the enemy is on approach (as long as there isn't a cavalry penalty, that is). They are also useful in defence because you can counter-attack with them even if you aren't losing, meaning that you can really punish a fool-hardy attack, although doing so tends to eat up your cavalry so should only be used in special situations.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Not having seen the full game play out, I like the way that feint attacks seem to add an interesting game of maneuver and fog-of-war, with little additional rules.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Morholt posted:

Not having seen the full game play out, I like the way that feint attacks seem to add an interesting game of maneuver and fog-of-war, with little additional rules.

Feints are, in my opinion, the meat of the game. The actual combat sequence is more or less "who has more strength, defender gets to counter attack". Feints, though. Feints involve figuring out who moves where and how, trying to draw off enemy stuff, trying to bluff where you're attacking, and oh poo poo that was actually a real attack gently caress I'M SCREWED.

Yeah, feints are cool. :3:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

silvergoose posted:

Yeah, feints are cool. :3:
:agreed:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Gonna do the maps today, sorry for the delay.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Gonna do the maps today, sorry for the delay.

We and/or you are all doomed!

NT is the tensest game I know, mostly because of the whole "will my line collapse right now if they attack? will their line collapse if I attack? I don't know the answer to either question!"

It's even moreso because in team games, you're also thinking "OH GOD DON'T GO THERE" and "Wait, does he want me to do this or that?"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think team games are a pretty brilliant way to play the game because you have to really rely on everyone to pull their weight in order to win.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I think team games are a pretty brilliant way to play the game because you have to really rely on everyone to pull their weight in order to win.

Or else hope their team members make horrible mistakes to counter yours.

Wait, that's how the 1v1 game works too.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

It's weird because as a new player you don't really have any idea if what you are doing is right but your experienced teammate can't do anything to help. It reminds me slightly of watching over a friends shoulder at an mtg tourney as they make a horrible misplay and are powerless to stop them

I like it .

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Aston posted:

It's weird because as a new player you don't really have any idea if what you are doing is right but your experienced teammate can't do anything to help. It reminds me slightly of watching over a friends shoulder at an mtg tourney as they make a horrible misplay and are powerless to stop them

I like it .

Yeah, exactly. As commanding general, I sure don't feel like I'm in full control of the battlefield, and messages are way too slow to get there in time, and good luck! :)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also the rules for Independents means that some attacks are just not possible because that independent you need to feint in the flank is under the control of someone else and it would screw up the timing of your Corps attack if they can't attack first and etc etc

:v:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
You can all analyze how the stupidity of General-Poruchik Davin Valkri cost the Allies at Austerlitz later :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Gentlemen, we have first blood!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

Gentlemen, we have first blood!

Finally. All this pansy rear end maneuvering and feinting was getting on my nerves. I'm more of a "Charge!" kind of person.

Seriously now, I'm enjoying the way cavalry plays. I think I've never seen a game where you can disorganize an army just by moving yours around.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Fat Samurai posted:

Finally. All this pansy rear end maneuvering and feinting was getting on my nerves. I'm more of a "Charge!" kind of person.

Seriously now, I'm enjoying the way cavalry plays. I think I've never seen a game where you can disorganize an army just by moving yours around.

Good. That makes two of us.

EDIT: In fact, this is totally me right now: http://youtu.be/gF8jXjlQr5c?t=1m45s

The video also shows quite nicely and accurately how the Allied army is a band of unwashed Spanish peasants who cheat by having cannons

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 9, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'm sure you're happy with the results of your charge, you crazy French jerk.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Of course I am.

Now you sit nicely in the timeout corner while adults do the fighting.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

How dare you resist our glorious charge

it's just not sporting

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
You clearly didn't anticipate any form of resistance. If you want to cut your suffering short, we will accept your graceful surrender.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Welcome to the club, Morholt. Here's your complimentary badge.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
What's the real world availability and opinion on this game?

Edit: On NT, not the crowd's opinion on this forum game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fat Turkey posted:

What's the real world availability and opinion on this game?

Edit: On NT, not the crowd's opinion on this forum game.
In terms of real world availability, the game is pretty much a collector's item, since it is not in print, it has very few copies around and they are also kind of rare/not often on the market. In terms of real world opinion, the game is very well seen and considered the best Simmons game out there, as well as being very unusual as a diceless wargame.

EDIT: I've got a copy btw, so let me know if you are interested in trying it IRL.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
If so popular and well-received, why hasn't there been a re-release? Or do Simmons no longer really exist and none bought the rights?

Well, if you don't mind sharing your rare edition with a beginner, I think I could well take you up on that offer in the new year. I'll wait for this game to finish and to read some general discussion on scenarios here though, but it does seem interesting!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
From my understanding, Simmons Games is (or was) literally just Rachel Simmons. Keeping a game in print and circulation is a much taller order when you have to assemble boxes in your living room. Made much more difficult when you're dealing with both chronic shoulder problems and the unending parade of medical complications that come with gender reassignment. She stopped selling the game on her private store in early 2013.

Guns of Gettysburg is her only game currently in print because she partnered with Mercury Games to publish it. I really hope she finds other favorable publication deals, so that she can get these games back in circulation.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

If so popular and well-received, why hasn't there been a re-release? Or do Simmons no longer really exist and none bought the rights?

Well, if you don't mind sharing your rare edition with a beginner, I think I could well take you up on that offer in the new year. I'll wait for this game to finish and to read some general discussion on scenarios here though, but it does seem interesting!

Mostly personal reasons, sadly. First off, Bowen had an arm injury that made it so problems doing publishing. Secondly, she uh transitioned to Rachel Simmons and that took a whole lot of her time and energy, I'd imagine. NT is still self published, but she could probably let Mercury or some other publisher do a re-release, it just isn't a quick process, and it sure hasn't happened yet.

Summary, Simmons Games was wholly self published and the designer went through a few years of really difficult times.

mostly e;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So, is everyone enjoying the game so far? We got to the 'meat' of the game after doing the dancing in the first few hours: everyone still on board and excited?

• Locked thread