Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
MSIs seem to have problems with the fan motors failing, possibly made worse by a "remove before using" sticker using too strong of adhesive. Even cards with the redesigned sticker have had problems with early fan failure though.

Zotac had problems with underpowered power delivery on launch, they promised a bios update that would fix that, but I haven't been following them closely so I don't know if they've delivered on it yet or not.

All of the issues cards have come from the open air coolers or overclocking models. If you just want a reference blower model EVGA is probably the best with their warranty, but all of the cards should be otherwise identical thanks to Nvidia setting up minimum standards everyone has to meet. I'd get a reference blower before I'd risk a 3rd party designed cooler with a history of problems.

The reference cooler is still quieter than previous generations of cards.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

craig588 posted:

MSIs seem to have problems with the fan motors failing, possibly made worse by a "remove before using" sticker using too strong of adhesive. Even cards with the redesigned sticker have had problems with early fan failure though.

Zotac had problems with underpowered power delivery on launch, they promised a bios update that would fix that, but I haven't been following them closely so I don't know if they've delivered on it yet or not.

All of the issues cards have come from the open air coolers or overclocking models. If you just want a reference blower model EVGA is probably the best with their warranty, but all of the cards should be otherwise identical thanks to Nvidia setting up minimum standards everyone has to meet. I'd get a reference blower before I'd risk a 3rd party designed cooler with a history of problems.

The reference cooler is still quieter than previous generations of cards.

Those are blowers on previous cards though, which we pretty much agree might be loud enough so as to annoy you.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hace posted:

You don't have resolution scale cranked up to 200%, do you?

Oh no. Running in native 1080p, no scaling, aside from initially trying DSR.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Protocol7 posted:

Oh no. Running in native 1080p, no scaling, aside from initially trying DSR.

When you run the game, is your GPU clock at half of it's stock frequency or something weird like that?

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
gently caress all the dickbags on Amazon that buy out and repost nearly all the 970's at a 50-100$ premium.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

slightpirate posted:

gently caress all the dickbags on Amazon that buy out and repost nearly all the 970's at a 50-100$ premium.

Surely 970s can't be that hard to come by in the US?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DarthBlingBling posted:

OK went back and tweaked a little. CPU at 4.7 and GPU at 8GHz mem and 1442MHz core (boosted). If I get a water cooler could maybe could push the CPU but I think that's my limit.

How are people determining their boost clocks? To me getting close to 1.6GHz seems unrealistic and I know Valley reports the core clock incorrectly.

Is there an option I'm missing somewhere to force 3DMARK to use the GPU for physics?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

DarthBlingBling posted:

Surely 970s can't be that hard to come by in the US?

Looks like everything is in stock on NewEgg, but he's right the prices are jacked up on Amazon.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Stanley Pain posted:

Is there an option I'm missing somewhere to force 3DMARK to use the GPU for physics?

Pretty sure mine was using CPU as the temps shot up to near 100C when the physics bit started. Fairly certain the whole benchmark is standardized and unchangeable beyond what you force in the drivers; it gives people a chance to compare their e-penis fairly. The overclocks I was running for that benchmark I wouldn't dream of using day to day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Very happy with my Gigabyte 970, other than the software it comes with. Does afterburner work with non msi cards? Can I control the fan profiles?

I'd like to be able to tune the gigabyte to turn the fans off when below a certain temp, not sure if that is possible. It's not with their software, at least.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

priznat posted:

Very happy with my Gigabyte 970, other than the software it comes with. Does afterburner work with non msi cards? Can I control the fan profiles?

I'd like to be able to tune the gigabyte to turn the fans off when below a certain temp, not sure if that is possible. It's not with their software, at least.

Yes, it does, and yes, it should.

Iirc Gigabyte never released any special BIOS for their cards to spool down to 0% speed, but open-air coolers in general are extremely quiet up to at least 50%.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
How much of a difference does getting one of the "Gaming" or "Superclocked" versions make? I'm planning on overclocking, but theirs the standard versions listed for $30+ lower.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Pay for better cooling, not for the mild factory overclocks. But most of the cards that have good custom coolers tend to have factory OCs too, so usually you end up with both.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Four years ago, I was primarily a console gamer. Now, my mini-ITX Gigabyte 970 is starting to ship, and I'll have much the same SLI setup as Zero VGS has. Short trip report later this week, I think.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Four years ago, I was primarily a console gamer. Now, my mini-ITX Gigabyte 970 is starting to ship, and I'll have much the same SLI setup as Zero VGS has. Short trip report later this week, I think.

I'm curious to see some feedback on the mini 970, I have a matx case and I'd like to conserve space as much as I can. Not a hard overclocker so any losses on that end wouldn't bother me too much.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DarthBlingBling posted:

Pretty sure mine was using CPU as the temps shot up to near 100C when the physics bit started. Fairly certain the whole benchmark is standardized and unchangeable beyond what you force in the drivers; it gives people a chance to compare their e-penis fairly. The overclocks I was running for that benchmark I wouldn't dream of using day to day.

That's really odd. I get less than 1/2 your results on the physics portion with an i7-3770k @ 4.5Ghz with Dual 970s.

Edit: That was odd. Just re-ran it and got the following score. Much higher than previous runs I had. :psyduck:

Score: 15036
Graphics: 21042
Physics: 11584
Combined: 5582

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 26, 2014

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

MSI Afterburner is showing 3500mhz memory clock for my MSI 970 - that's probably just an error or because of the DDR5 memory? Spec sheets say stock clock is 7000mhz.

(Running BF4 cranked up on primary monitor)

I also noticed that running a video full screen on the secondary monitor causes a slight but very noticeable performance hit on the game on the primary screen. I checked if there are some fancy video enhancement features in the nvidia driver settings (coming from AMD), but couldn't find any.

Is this normal? I don't remember my HD7870 being so sensitive about full screen videos.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Not an error, just that DDR5 has double the bandwidth of DDR3. So yeah, just double it basically.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Perfect Potato posted:

I'm curious to see some feedback on the mini 970, I have a matx case and I'd like to conserve space as much as I can. Not a hard overclocker so any losses on that end wouldn't bother me too much.

Get it then, it's about as effective as any other 970, way smaller, and no MSRP markup. Newegg just added a $10 rebate to it and you still get that free game voucher: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125706

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
With Thanksgiving around the corner, I'm thinking of upgrading my card. I made a rinkydink midrange comp build 2 years ago that ran Far Cry 3 perfectly. Now Far Cry 4 runs like crap unless everything is on medium.

I'm poor as hell, so I'd like something around (or preferably below) the $200 range, specifically from NVIDIA because I'm sick of all the games that I care for having problems with my AMD card. I'm currently equipped with a Radeon 7850 HD, a 2.9GHz quadcore procesor, 8 gigs of ram and a 1600x900 monitor. Forgive me for being naive if I'm posting/asking incorrectly. :shobon:

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Morter posted:

With Thanksgiving around the corner, I'm thinking of upgrading my card. I made a rinkydink midrange comp build 2 years ago that ran Far Cry 3 perfectly. Now Far Cry 4 runs like crap unless everything is on medium.

I'm poor as hell, so I'd like something around (or preferably below) the $200 range, specifically from NVIDIA because I'm sick of all the games that I care for having problems with my AMD card. I'm currently equipped with a Radeon 7850 HD, a 2.9GHz quadcore procesor, 8 gigs of ram and a 1600x900 monitor. Forgive me for being naive if I'm posting/asking incorrectly. :shobon:

I'll sell you my GTX 760 for $140 shipped if you're in the USA. My email is matthew.w.swartz at gmail.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

mcbexx posted:

MSI Afterburner is showing 3500mhz memory clock for my MSI 970 - that's probably just an error or because of the DDR5 memory? Spec sheets say stock clock is 7000mhz.

DDR stands for "double data rate." GDDR5 is actually a bit more complex besides: Your "7 GHz" (really, 7 gigatransfers per second) has a 1750 MHz command clock guiding a hot-clocked 3500 MHz data clock. The data clock is then double-pumped. 7000 megatransfers per second.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Party Plane Jones posted:

How cool does the EVGA card run? (How is it that every 970 that comes out has coil whine somehow?)

73-75 C while playing Far Cry 4 or ACUnity at 1080p maxed. Fan's turning about 1500 RPM at that temperature and is moderately audible over the rest of the system (stock AMD cooler on the CPU).

It idles in the 40s and 50s depending on ambient temperature with the fan entirely off.

I don't really know what specifically to listen for as far as coil whine, but I do not notice any noises other than the fan. Maybe I got lucky.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Just reading around the subject of Nvidia architectures. We're currently with Maxwell, and Pascal is supposedly due late 2016. My question is, what's Nvidia going to be doing in the meantime? With the GTX 980 remain its gaming flagship card? Or does history indicate something more powerful will be along in the interim?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

wolrah posted:

I don't really know what specifically to listen for as far as coil whine, but I do not notice any noises other than the fan. Maybe I got lucky.

I think its pretty hard to miss. It sounds like a mini subway train is driving around in my case sometimes. It's also the first card I've ever had with coil whine. I don't really mind it, but I can see how it would annoy those with truly quiet setups

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Exioce posted:

Just reading around the subject of Nvidia architectures. We're currently with Maxwell, and Pascal is supposedly due late 2016. My question is, what's Nvidia going to be doing in the meantime? With the GTX 980 remain its gaming flagship card? Or does history indicate something more powerful will be along in the interim?
The rumor has them making a larger Maxwell chip, possibly named GM200, to be released sometime in 2015.

Who knows, it's all rumor and conjecture. But it's a pretty safe bet that both AMD and nVidia will release new products in 2015.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
980Ti I'm guessing

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
There are rumors of everything from GTX 980ti, 990, Titan II, and more. And there's also the 960 and possible 960ti that will be released next year. Then whatever else we don't even know about.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm amused that by the time the GTX 1080 rolls around, we'll all be using 4k's.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

Or a GTX 180 because we've come full circle :haw:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Exioce posted:

They can go larger (GM200), and they can shift down to 20nm if TSMC ever gets that poo poo working, which they should before Pascal comes out.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ak Gara posted:

Nah, you'll need that just to play Assassin's Creed: Unity at 60 FPS, at 1920×1080.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
The reality is that while NVidia has the ability to put out more powerful parts in 2015 the when will probably have more to do with what AMD can do. Right now they have the performance lead with the 980 so there really isn't any impetus for them to release a more powerful consumer part until AMD can put out something more powerful, like the rumored 390.

In the short term we'll probably just see a 960 early next year but no new high-end parts until AMD can get their poo poo together and put out something more compelling.

Remember though, this is all just the musings of some random guy on the internet.

verily carefree
Apr 5, 2014

im asking for a *specific* (9front compatible) video card for xmas, does the vendor name really make a difference? if say an nvidia 8400gs is proven compatible, how about an evga 8400gs? can anyone say for sure the evga equivalent would or would not work like the nvidia?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

scrawky posted:

im asking for a *specific* (9front compatible) video card for xmas, does the vendor name really make a difference? if say an nvidia 8400gs is proven compatible, how about an evga 8400gs? can anyone say for sure the evga equivalent would or would not work like the nvidia?

It should work fine, they are probably all reference cards anyway.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
OS compatibility is an issue of drivers. Cards from all different OEMs (such as EVGA, MSI, etc.) all use the same drivers which you can download directly from nVidia or AMD. So to answer your question no I can't imagine how it could make a difference which OEM manufactured the card.

nVidia doesn't actually manufacture cards at all, they just design them and then license various OEMs such as EVGA to manufacture them. The nVidia-branded cards you see at places like Best Buy (with no OEM branding on them, only the nVidia brand) are manufactured by one of the major OEMs, nVidia just outsourced it. And those are only available in very few stores (actually it might be Best Buy only? or at least was like that at some point?) so don't think they're better or anything. Not sure if you were looking at those but it sounded like maybe.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I hope this is the right place to ask, sorry if I am a moron. I have a GTX 760 installed and am using my old GTX 570 as a dedicated PhysX card. Is there any real advantage to this? Should I just take the 570 out? I dont remember why I set it up like this and I am not a primary PC gamer so I was just wondering if this setup is making any difference.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Since TD was being dicks with giving me the codes for my buying the cards 2 days early, I ended up returning both 970s. There was literally no improvement over my 290x setup. and due to the prices, my triple waterooled 290x made itself worth keeping until 390 or big maxwell.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If WCCF isn't full of poo poo (yeah yeah I know..) then the 390X probably won't be worth upgrading to if you've already got a 290/x or a 970/980 as a single card or CF'd/SLi'd.

tl&dr mediocre rumor mill site: 390X= ~17% more performance than GTX980 @ 1440p resolution for 200w power consumption

Not suggesting that is a bad improvement over the 290X, performance or power usage-wise, but for the $400-650 its likely to cost I don't think it makes much sense to upgrade money-wise if you've already got a current generation card. Unless you're rich of course.

If you've got a 7970/GTX780 or older card and are looking to upgrade then I think that would be a different story since you're looking at a very substantial 40-50%+ performance jump.

edit: personally I'm watching ebay for R9 290's, they're already around $200 and if the above rumor mill pans out I think $150-ish or less isn't unreasonable to expect, might buy one or 2 then.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Here's a really weird problem I'm having...

I've got a R7 250 4GB on a Gigabyte H61A board with the ATI card going to my HDTV - Vizio P-Series which is detected by the Catalyst Suite however whenever I go to disable the secondary display that's off the integrated graphics I lose my UHDTV.

Unplugging the standard VGA monitor didn't help, same with re-selecting the tv input and tv is set as the main monitor.

EDIT - As a wild guess I set chroma to 4:2:2 and used the best 4k60hz hdmi 5 port despite my card only supporting 4k@30hz. That fixed it.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 27, 2014