Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's no way Rocksteady is going to make Origins the lynchpin of Arkham Kinght's big mystery.I also don't buy the whole "He's a new character, no mystery here, muahahah!" song and dance Rocksteady has been doing.

Origins is essentially non-canon at this point. They abandoned bugfixing in exchange for rushing the last DLC out, they put it and its season pass on sale for as much as 60% off before Cold Cold Heart even came out, and they refer to Knight as "the final entry in the Arkham trilogy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

el oso posted:

Yeah, I'm really not into the Batmobile combat that they've shown at all. Obviously there could be more to it in the full game but strafe-shoot over and over and over doesn't seem very exciting.

It seems to be VERY reminiscent of Halo's tanks in terms of controls and firepower, which doesn't excite me at all.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Canemacar posted:

I thought it was a foregone conclusion. They're offering all kinds of Red Hood(Todd version) stuff like sculptures and DLC for preordering.

Wait, wait, wait. What is this about a RH sculpture? I thought the only things was the RH story pack from Gamestop?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Pirate Jet posted:

Origins is essentially non-canon at this point. They abandoned bugfixing in exchange for rushing the last DLC out, they put it and its season pass on sale for as much as 60% off before Cold Cold Heart even came out, and they refer to Knight as "the final entry in the Arkham trilogy."

In the Rocksteady trilogy. I'm fairly certain that Rocksteady acknowledged that they considered Origins as a part of the series as it is.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Canemacar posted:

I thought it was a foregone conclusion. They're offering all kinds of Red Hood(Todd version) stuff like sculptures and DLC for preordering.

Yeah, that stuff makes me think that too.

Pirate Jet posted:

My steam version got updated the other day with a bunch of bug fixes :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In the Rocksteady trilogy. I'm fairly certain that Rocksteady acknowledged that they considered Origins as a part of the series as it is.

I talked to one of the developers at E3 and when I mentioned a mechanic that was in Origins he was like "oh, really? How about that" and basically implied he had only cursory knowledge of Origins. I suspect that if they do reference it it isn't going to be anything too specific because the developers barely seemed to care it existed.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

They've definitely been referring to Arkham Knight as "the last in the trilogy" so I don't think they're making any effort to include Origins but I also don't think they'll go out of their way to contradict it out of spite.

Anyway, I'm holding out that the Arkham Knight isn't Jason because they've been pushing him as Red Hood so hard. Seems weird to include him as Red Hood and make him the villain of the game as AK.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

ImpAtom posted:

I talked to one of the developers at E3 and when I mentioned a mechanic that was in Origins

I hope you were just making sure there would be no more Bat-Paramedic cardiac defribulation minigames.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
They've kind of marketed AK as an all new character.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ToastyPotato posted:

They've kind of marketed AK as an all new character.

Yeah, but like it was mentioned before, they did the exact same thing for Benedict Cumberbatch in Star Trek. Anything could happen. Personally, I'd love it if there wasn't any twist at all and he IS a brand new character we've never seen before. Hell, even if we don't unmask the Arkham Knight. We get to have Batman see just how drat frustrating it is for the criminals.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Did they have the people working on that film say how excited they were to add a new, original character to the Star Trek mythos? Because one of the preview videos had an interview that went that far for AK. Going that far for a bait and switch is pretty stupid.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Arkham Knight will turn out to be Sin Tzu. :shepface:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Just a reminder, Hideo Kojima literally invented a dev studio with its own lead developer (whose name was an anagram of his) who gave interviews while swathed in bandages as a way to distract people from MGSV. This is after, years before, releasing promo material of MGS2 with the actual player character swapped out for Snake so no one would know what was actually going on.

If Arkham Knight's identity turns out to be someone we should know, they'd do well to keep a tight lid on it. If that means outright denying he's a returning character in a new disguise, then that's what they'd do. Misleading consumers so they don't preemptively ruin your product on their own, that's just good marketing strategy.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I definitely agree that AK being a brand spanking new character is a possibility, but until I know for sure, I'm just gonna bank on Todd. I think it fits pretty well with Arkham City and the other stuff we've seen.

You guys can think what you want, and you might be right, but I just don't buy it. Mostly because of STID, and MGS2/5.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

If this is supposed to be a trilogy, AK has to have something to do with the previous 2. At least I'd hope.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

If this is supposed to be a trilogy, AK has to have something to do with the previous 2. At least I'd hope.

Scarecrow is one of the main villains.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

what if the Arkham Knight....... is Superman?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

mysterious loyall Y posted:

what if the Arkham Knight....... is Superman?

I think it would be pretty cool for Superman to stop by for a little bit in AK.

He could offer to help Batman because poo poo's getting bad, and then Batman can be a total dick in return.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In all seriousness, I really liked the crime scene rewinds from Origins. I largely disliked the majority of the title, but those "rewind the scene to find clues" mechanics felt very visual and fun.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing about the Arkham Knight is explaining why he has Arkham in his name for any reason other than the meta franchise building one.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Calling it now - Arkham Knight is Aaron Cash.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I hope you were just making sure there would be no more Bat-Paramedic cardiac defribulation minigames.

I mentioned how an enemy type was a bit like the Titan thugs. (The new type who charges at you.)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mogomra posted:

You guys can think what you want, and you might be right, but I just don't buy it. Mostly because of STID, and MGS2/5.

That doesn't make any sense, because of what happened with just two completely different franchises you think Rocksteady is just lying? At any rate, given the deflated 'oh...' reaction the STID 'twist' it would probably be more boring if he really did turn out to be somebody we all know already, also, remember the general reaction everyone had when it turned out the Joker was the main villain in Origins? I think rocksteady would do well to avoid dumb gimmicks like that at this point.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Next guess: AK is either a resurrected Amadeus Arkham, or Quincy Sharp. http://arkhamcity.wikia.com/wiki/Spirit_of_Arkham

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The leaks already confirmed that Arkham Knight is Ridley

Y'know what kind of annoys me with this kind of extended hype cycle? How you tend to get assets from the same portion of the game over and over again. I mean, I can appreciate not wanting to spoil stuff, but everything so far has looked kinda samey and is kind of letting the air out of my anticipation zeppelin.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

khwarezm posted:

That doesn't make any sense, because of what happened with just two completely different franchises you think Rocksteady is just lying? At any rate, given the deflated 'oh...' reaction the STID 'twist' it would probably be more boring if he really did turn out to be somebody we all know already, also, remember the general reaction everyone had when it turned out the Joker was the main villain in Origins? I think rocksteady would do well to avoid dumb gimmicks like that at this point.

It doesn't make any sense because I'm mostly joking. (I still think there will be a twist involving the new villain though)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If anything, I'm expecting Batman to take off the mask and it's the Joker.

But then it turns out he's been gassed by Scarecrow and he's just seeing a hallucination.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If anything, I'm expecting Batman to take off the mask and it's the Joker.

But then it turns out he's been gassed by Scarecrow and he's just seeing a hallucination.

Batman takes off Arkham Knight's mask and it's Bruce Wayne. Turns out you've been playing a mind-controlled Joker the whole time!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
AK is that one freaky Asylum inmate hanging out near Sharpe's office that was based off of some contest winner's likeness.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Batman takes off Arkham Knight's mask and it's Bruce Wayne. Turns out you've been playing a mind-controlled Joker the whole time!

That'd be pretty crazy, too.

I hope that Scarecrow gets to third base with our minds with a lot of segments like that.

redbackground posted:

AK is that one freaky Asylum inmate hanging out near Sharpe's office that was based off of some contest winner's likeness.

That'd be pretty funny. Him being on the Joker's party list never resulted in him being let out of his cell in AA, after all.

Then again, Clayface wasn't let out, either.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That'd be pretty crazy, too.

I hope that Scarecrow gets to third base with our minds with a lot of segments like that.

That'd be pretty funny. Him being on the Joker's party list never resulted in him being let out of his cell in AA, after all.

Then again, Clayface wasn't let out, either.

I really hope we get alot more mindfuckery from the scarecrow. He's so good a character for this situation and i fully hope and expect they don't go near the joker with a 20 ft pole, they really beat that into the ground. I also hope that the scarecrow or the arkham knight storylines don't get railroaded by some dumb super secret reveal like the joker, hugo and city, or the joker, black mask and origins.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Completely misread this and thought you were saying the Arkham Knight was Riddler.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

Asylum was pretty Metroidvania already, this would just be ridiculous amazing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"I'm back, Alfred. Scarecrow tried to sick a Space Dragon on me."

"Did you have any trouble, sir?"

":smug:"

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Goddamn. That gameplay blew me away, just like in Asylum and City. Time to go into my traditional exile from watching any and all videos of Knight until I can play the game for myself.

So long Batman, I'll see you in 6 months :kiddo:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Narcissus1916 posted:

In all seriousness, I really liked the crime scene rewinds from Origins. I largely disliked the majority of the title, but those "rewind the scene to find clues" mechanics felt very visual and fun.
At time I wish it were actual detective work instead of rewind, a highlighted item focuses you on it, you scan it, play with the controls a bit. I mean, it's very minimal and there but I was hoping for a lot more. I did a second playthrough and purposely tried to break it or find clues earlier than they want you to find them but it's simply not possible.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In the Rocksteady trilogy.

No, they specifically keep saying "in the Arkham trilogy."

Narcissus1916 posted:

They were very flashy, but ultimately amounted to just pixel hunts. Kind of like a metaphor for the entirety of Origins itself.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Origins isn't really meant to be part of the story line of the Rocksteady games. It is a prequel that sort of sets up the world, and that is about it. AA and AC are pretty directly tied. One leads directly to the other in a lot of ways. AO sets up stuff for AA but doesn't really lead directly to it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Anybody else notice how Gordon just sounds like Conroy in that new trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm really curious as to why Gordon gets a new voice in every game.

• Locked thread