Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mr. unhsib posted:

I cannot loving BELIEVE Sorkin is re-using the "tech billionaire buys cable company" plotline again.
Wait, when did this happen before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Sports Night.

edit: whose network was bought by none other than Special Agent Casper.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 24, 2014

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I hadn't realized how much more I could dislike the character of Jim, but here we are. Hopefully the series will end with him being fired into the sun.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

For reference, what this guy means is a contingent of people sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting any time someone brought up how much of a sexist weirdo sorkin was, or how disingenuous the entire concept of the show was

lol

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
That felt like the longest episode of tv

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Saving grace for Jim is how everyone around him seems to realize how lovely he is now.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
This show is loving dogshit. The feel is right and the actors are right but the writing is absolutely awful.

Every episode has the exact same shtick to the T. The smart people act dumb sometimes oh isn't that cute. The dumb people surprise you with trivia oh wow. The funny people act dry, the dry people shock you with a great joke. The mean people shock you by being thoughtful and the nice people shock you with flashes of meanness. Whenever sorkin wants to show something of great importance he starts off with like 10 people in a room, then someone asks 6 people to leave, so there's 4, then someone asks for the room, so then there's 2, and you KNOW its serious now. Bunch of people yelling over each other whoever stops and doesnt yell the longest loses the argument. Also in times of "comedy" people are always taking a pause then inhaling sharply and saying something. Every character has every stupid little sorkin mannerism so every character is the same which is a shame since the actors seem like they're really trying to do a good job with what they've got. And again everyone is super brilliant, cutely dumb, funny, ultra integrity etc

Also the FBI stops raiding a newsroom with a warrant because Olivia Munn is on TV or something what the gently caress

basically its super pretentious and in the west wing you had martin sheen to alleviate some of that but now it's smart people jerking off onto each other in every scene.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 24, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Two things from last night:

1) I had forgotten how much Srokin almost fetishizes academic credentials. For a scientist, that's a given, but the way people justify a lot of what their saying by going "HE HAS TWO PHD'S" throughout the history of this show is grating.

2) Hello tv show just casually mentioning that a male staff member has been sleeping with a lot of women in the office and is apparently in charge of handing out assignments. I'm glad that's just played for laughs and the woman in question is eventually told off instead of addressing the larger issue at hand (SARCASM). I don't see how that HR rep can be an antagonist, because those were some really serious workplace problems.

Like, Don, instead of telling his staff member directly that she needs to improve her writing, has another staff member who has a previous sexual relationship with her hand out the assignment to someone else without thinking it's a terrible idea.

Max fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 24, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thehandtruck posted:

basically its super pretentious and in the west wing you had martin sheen to alleviate some of that but now it's smart people jerking off onto each other in every scene.
The West Wing had a lot more going for it than just Martin Sheen.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, like Bradley Whitford, who was great on Sunset 60 Striptease. He and Perry worked really well together. Wish the show had another season. Alas.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

thehandtruck posted:

This show is loving dogshit. The feel is right and the actors are right but the writing is absolutely awful.

Every episode has the exact same shtick to the T. The smart people act dumb sometimes oh isn't that cute. The dumb people surprise you with trivia oh wow. The funny people act dry, the dry people shock you with a great joke. The mean people shock you by being thoughtful and the nice people shock you with flashes of meanness. Whenever sorkin wants to show something of great importance he starts off with like 10 people in a room, then someone asks 6 people to leave, so there's 4, then someone asks for the room, so then there's 2, and you KNOW its serious now. Bunch of people yelling over each other whoever stops and doesnt yell the longest loses the argument. Also in times of "comedy" people are always taking a pause then inhaling sharply and saying something. Every character has every stupid little sorkin mannerism so every character is the same which is a shame since the actors seem like they're really trying to do a good job with what they've got. And again everyone is super brilliant, cutely dumb, funny, ultra integrity etc

Also the FBI stops raiding a newsroom with a warrant because Olivia Munn is on TV or something what the gently caress

stop watching it, oh it's the third season and you're still bitching

oh my

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
The West Wing had a great cast, but perhaps even more importantly the subject matter had the gravitas necessary for Sorkin's style to make sense. Toby or Sam railing against the injustice of some great issue can not be replicated by Jim carrying on about how page views for cash is a scourge of journalism. The one issue they cover on the show that actually has a huge impact gets brushed aside as a joke. What a downer than end of the world guy is, huh? The other stories they cover either don't actually matter much, or are covered just as well by other news sources. The biggest event so far is what, the team scrambling to see if they can confirm news that The Rock broke? How are we supposed to give a poo poo about that? I forget the quote, but it was something like 'if we can tell people this news 5 minutes sooner, than it's all worth it' or some nonsense.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
So, seems like the right time for me to come in and tell you guys that I for one really enjoyed this episode, just like I've enjoyed this whole season so far. You can now continue bitching about the show you hate but watched two and a half seasons of for some reason. Bye!

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DominoDancing posted:

So, seems like the right time for me to come in and tell you guys that I for one really enjoyed this episode, just like I've enjoyed this whole season so far. You can now continue bitching about the show you hate but watched two and a half seasons of for some reason. Bye!

gently caress you, guy :)

Anyway, I literally exclaimed "Oh, come on!" when Mac put the napkin in the glass of water.

If you don't get the reference, then :getout: of this thread about an Aaron Sorkin-show :colbert:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I liked Toby just losing it and not even trying to get people to care about the environment anymore was great.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
I kinda like the overall story arch of the season and how its kinda becoming a "us vs the evil govt"thing. And I enjoyed this episode too. Im simply not expecting it too be a show that realisticly depicts a newsroom. I understand that these are characters written to entertain, sometimes though (actually a lot of the time) its maybe a bit too much and everyone has way to clever poo poo to say. S

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is it just me or are annoying blondes boobs bigger this year?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
GOSH Sorkin is sexist, his writing doesn't respect women at all!

GOSH that blonde woman is annoying but look at her big ol titties!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't care if his writing is sexist or not. I just want to be entertained. And boobs.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I think my favorite part of the episode was when the techie actually talks to Charlie. His crowdsourcing-and-disruption schtick is a dead-on impersonation of the Silicon Valley archetype.

Then I realized Sorkin basically invented the archetype with The Social Network. It all comes full circle.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So why only six eps this season? Was that Sorkin's idea or HBO's?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The show is tanking hard and they gave him 6 eps to finish it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

So why only six eps this season? Was that Sorkin's idea or HBO's?

Given that Daniels won an Emmy for his role the fact that this show is given a quiet death speaks to just how completely poo poo it is. Any other show where the main actor wins an Emmy would normally being a big deal, but given that that his actual win was a huge shock, and almost everyone thought it was undeserved (literally everyone. He beat Walter White, Don Draper, Nicholas Brody, and Frank Underwood, easily 4 of the best dramatic characters of the decade), it makes sense that HBO wants to bury this show with the minimum possible effort and the involves 6 episodes for a third season.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MrA needs to come back. I was enjoying his disbelief recaps.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I enjoy that everyone now seems to realise what an insufferable rear end Jim is.

But Sorkin gonna Sork, and just had to throw in that scene about a guy in the office who sleeps with a bunch of his female employees being totally in the right, and the woman claiming sexual misconduct was wrong and played for laughs.

What the gently caress, Sorkin? Such an rear end in a top hat.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Tbf when don says that her writing sucks that was pretty funny

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Shakugan posted:

I enjoy that everyone now seems to realise what an insufferable rear end Jim is.

But Sorkin gonna Sork, and just had to throw in that scene about a guy in the office who sleeps with a bunch of his female employees being totally in the right, and the woman claiming sexual misconduct was wrong and played for laughs.

What the gently caress, Sorkin? Such an rear end in a top hat.

No joke, that poo poo was infuriating.

Also, I predict BJ Novack buys ACN and hires Jim's girlfriend back because she knows how to be disruptive.

Fetus Tree posted:

Tbf when don says that her writing sucks that was pretty funny

On the show it is, but him delegating the job to the guy that slept with her to obfuscate why she wasn't getting the assignment was the definition of unprofessional and the HR guy should have shitcanned them right there.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeh but since its only a tv show and not real, :shrug:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Fetus Tree posted:

Yeh but since its only a tv show and not real, :shrug:

This is sort of a cop-out answer when the rest of the show is asking us to believe the conceit that it's showing us how a real news agency should be working by having ACN report on stuff that actually happened. Sorkin is taking the moral high ground and trying to (I think it's failing) show news media how bad they are at what they do. That doesn't allow him to just ignore or make light of serious workplace issues that exist. That scene really undercuts Don's character, especially when the opening moments of the season have everyone espousing how much journalistic integrity they have over and over again.

If this were on NBC or a comedy and not inviting critique then yes, it's not real and who cares. But it's not.

Edit: Don booking it to Olivia Munn's office to tell her that they aren't dating and having her barely react was funny, as was Allison Pill yelling "gently caress!" when she spelling Baking News on the lower third. Both of those moments fit well within the episode and added some nice levity. I do not understand why we had to see Don defend his staff for doing something incredibly inapropriate and following it up with telling the woman who made the HR complain that her writing is bad. It doesn't make any sense.

Max fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 25, 2014

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Max posted:

This is sort of a cop-out answer when the rest of the show is asking us to believe the conceit that it's showing us how a real news agency should be working by having ACN report on stuff that actually happened. Sorkin is taking the moral high ground and trying to (I think it's failing) show news media how bad they are at what they do. That doesn't allow him to just ignore or make light of serious workplace issues that exist. That scene really undercuts Don's character, especially when the opening moments of the season have everyone espousing how much journalistic integrity they have over and over again.

Aaron Sorkin posted:

I’m going to let you all stand in for everyone in the world, if you don’t mind. I think you and I got off on the wrong foot with The Newsroom and I apologize and I’d like to start over. I think that there’s been a terrible misunderstanding. I did not set the show in the recent past in order to show the pros how it should have been done. That was and remains the furthest thing from my mind. I set the show in the recent past because I didn’t want to make up fake news. It was going to be weird if the world that these people were living in did not in any way resemble the world that you were living in… Also, I wanted the option of having a terrific dynamic that you can get when the audience knows more than the characters do… So, I wasn’t trying to and I’m not capable of teaching a professional journalist a lesson. That wasn’t my intent and it’s never my intent to teach you a lesson or try to persuade you or anything.

Source

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Max posted:

On the show it is, but him delegating the job to the guy that slept with her to obfuscate why she wasn't getting the assignment was the definition of unprofessional and the HR guy should have shitcanned them right there.

I felt more like he was just taking credit for it to get the HR guy out of his office.

Also it's really weird how personally HR guy is taking their relationship, to the point he's straight up stating his intention to "nail them."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Max posted:

If this were on NBC or a comedy and not inviting critique then yes, it's not real and who cares. But it's not.

Edit: Don booking it to Olivia Munn's office to tell her that they aren't dating and having her barely react was funny, as was Allison Pill yelling "gently caress!" when she spelling Baking News on the lower third. Both of those moments fit well within the episode and added some nice levity. I do not understand why we had to see Don defend his staff for doing something incredibly inapropriate and following it up with telling the woman who made the HR complain that her writing is bad. It doesn't make any sense.

I think the scene was just there to show Don is bad at HR stuff, and he's about to have a battle with a new HR guy. It was a little off putting and weird, but got the job done.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, I remember that interview. Personally, I don't buy it, and I still think this is a show that is ultimately critical about many, many things. Sorkin isn't someone that sets out to make mindless, fun entertainment when the work is political at its core. I mean, this season started with ACN doing the news right and had a meeting where the characters explained, with charts, how every other news station failed in reporting on the Boston Marathon bombing. How is that not a critique?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Max posted:

Yeah, I remember that interview. Personally, I don't buy it, and I still think this is a show that is ultimately critical about many, many things. Sorkin isn't someone that sets out to make mindless, fun entertainment when the work is political at its core. I mean, this season started with ACN doing the news right and had a meeting where the characters explained, with charts, how every other news station failed in reporting on the Boston Marathon bombing. How is that not a critique?

You don't think 'real' news networks would have had those same meetings a few days into the coverage? CNN and AP both ended up issuing apologies for some parts of their coverage.

That said, it might be a critique. I don't know. I watch the show to see clever wordplay and Sorkinisms. I'm really not thinking deeply about anything that happens. Maybe that's why I enjoy it?

blunt fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 25, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

blunt posted:

You don't think 'real' news networks would have had those same meetings a few days into the coverage? CNN and AP both ended up issuing apologies for some parts of their coverage.

That said, it might be a critique. I don't know. I watch the show to see clever wordplay and Sorkinisms. I'm really not thinking deeply about anything that happens. Maybe that's why I enjoy it?

I'm not saying they wouldn't have those meetings, I was responding to the Sorkin quote. He said he isn't there to teach journalists how things should be done, but I don't believe him when he then turns around and writes a scene where the fictional characters of his show lambast the real media that exists. And I think that's completely fine, but he should cop to what he's doing.

And yes, you probably enjoy it for the reasons you outlined. I honestly should stop watching things I don't like.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think people take this show too seriously. I enjoyed the first season a lot and the second season a fair bit, too. I saw the constant whining and complaining and tried my best to ignore it. But the show has changed a lot this season and not for the better. Only three episodes to go and soon after that It's Always Sunny will be back and that's a show that you can believe in.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I don't understand the HR thing at all. Don and Sloan are both in high level jobs at the company and even though he framed it as Don being Sloan's superior, it's not like one of them is an intern or something. I thought the usual policy for these things in big corporations was that you had to sign some forms with HR disclosing it and etc., not that it is automatically required one of the workers to be transferred. Why is the new HR guy instantly in you guys can't have a relationship or one of you has to be transferred mode? Like what the hell? There wasn't even evidence yet that the relationship was affecting their work or something. I can't help but feel the subplot will be resolved by Don and Sloan coming clean to the HR guy who will then proceed to "forgive" it. ACN's NY office losing one of its few anchors or a senior EP just because of an inter-office relationship seems absurd.

Similarly was the depressed EPA interview supposed to just be a one-off joke? Why did he do that? Was the guy getting back at Maggie or something? It felt like there was supposed to be some sort of follow-up or ramifications to that interview. Did that guy really practically throw away his job?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Regarding that guy, the "fetishization of academic credentials" that someone mentioned earlier was quite amusing in his case. I'm currently getting a PhD from an elite school, and the pressure, workloads, expectations etc are crazy. You would have to be outright insane to do two such PhDs, doubly so if you're not actually working in academia (which this guy doesn't seeing as he works for the EPA).

So I don't know if Sorkin was foreshadowing "hey, this guy is batshit", or if he legitimately thinks (one PhD => smart)=>(two PhDs => super smart).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't get why new HR guy is supposed to be the enemy. What's that all about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't get why new HR guy is supposed to be the enemy. What's that all about?

probably ~*drama*~

• Locked thread