Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

projecthalaxy posted:

Good because that sounds really stupid.

Just go through the floor and go back and open them with playcoins.
Not like you have anything else to use it for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Inflammatory posted:

the cards come with the standard edition too, fyi.

yeah i know

i preordered the collectors edition the day it was announced though just because that's what idiot babies with too much money do (aka me)

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't know why you guys are talking about what is clearly an EO game in the SMT thread, but come watch me download Persona Q.

No really, this download cost $50. Come help me forgot about how I should have just bought a physical copy and gotten a bunch of cool feelies.

http://www.twitch.tv/roguelike

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Do the characters not in your active party still get experience?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Manatee Cannon posted:

Do the characters not in your active party still get experience?

Yes. Sometimes when you finish requests, they level up because quests give exp to everyone.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did it, it fits!

EDIT: oh the companion piece

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 25, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Yes. Sometimes when you finish requests, they level up because quests give exp to everyone.

Perfect, thanks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It says it'll cost 156 play coins to open the second floor's chest without mapping. What the heck.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Um, anyone excited for Persona 4: Dancing All Night?

Otherwise, I'll just sit here alone in the corner w/o a 3DS/2DS then.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I am very excited for P4D. How can anyone deny the siren song of Meguro music with Miku gameplay and dancing Chie & Kanji?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm wondering how it's progressing since they fired Dingo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait what?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
how much do we know how much the protagonist decision matters in PQ?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They don't.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

"Fired" is probably too strong a word. Atlus took over development of the game a couple months ago and is now "receiving assistance" from them in making P4D.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh okay, it seemed weird that you were saying fired. It's interesting they took over development.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Policenaut posted:

"Fired" is probably too strong a word. Atlus took over development of the game a couple months ago and is now "receiving assistance" from them in making P4D.

I've always loved reading official company announcements. So much passive-aggressiveness in each sentence.

Although, I'm not great at rhythm/music games, I want to see LPs of it when it's released.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
can someone do me a favor and get upset about how the game (persona q) doesn't matter in persona canon

:allears:

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

hubris.height posted:

can someone do me a favor and get upset about how the game (persona q) doesn't matter in persona canon

sure ok here goes

Basically it reduces all the characters to one-note cariacatures since no actual character development and growth can take place since everyone gets dropped off back in the middle of their respective games.

of course the canon sequels that could actually move character arcs forward are just as bad, so, welp

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

hubris.height posted:

The only true SMT series is Raidou Kuzunoha and Atlus is milking their P3/P4 games and angering their hardcore REAL fanbase.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I just fuckin wish if they were gonna do mind-wiping as their big end-game reveal, they should have made the game a lot sillier.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I hope we get Devil Survivor 3 someday.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Picked up PQ. Now to decide which side I should play as first: Team Bland (P3) or Team Fun (P4). I'm going with the latter, I think and saving the New Game + for the P3 side where I can just rush through the slog.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Artix posted:

Nope, you do in fact have to step on them. It's incredibly stupid and I have no idea why they did it that way.

It's a throwback.

(It was really bad and tedious back then, too)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Neeksy posted:

Picked up PQ. Now to decide which side I should play as first: Team Bland (P3) or Team Fun (P4). I'm going with the latter, I think and saving the New Game + for the P3 side where I can just rush through the slog.

This, but the opposite, because I have taste.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
For having a rush option this game moves pretty slowly in battle.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

For having a rush option this game moves pretty slowly in battle.

you can change the battle speed in the settings

im not sure it helps much because I haven't done any battles since i changed it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I had it at fastest since I started the game.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
The interface is sluggish in general. It's disappointing compared to earlier EO games let alone EO:U's fastest options.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
too true

i picked to start on hard but not 'risky' how bad have i owned myself?

i made the mistake of trying eo:u on hard and it was a frustrating trudge till i lowered it to normal, and i just did the first battle and it took like 5 turns to win the battle

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Battles get easier once you get to the second floor and unlock sub-personas, because sub-personas give you a pool of bonus hp and sp that get refreshed at the start of each fight. That means you don't have to spend a third of your total sp to get your Boost chain going.

That said, one thing I've noticed so far (also playing on Hard) is that enemies ambush you a lot. I seriously got ambushed about 2/3 of the time on the first floor.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is it a mistake if I go with Risky at the start?

I mean, it's the only one that sounds the most like the classic mode in Etrian Odyssey, which is my kind of thing, but I dunno.

e: Oh wait, it's just the protag dying. gently caress it, I'm not crazy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
As someone who has never played a Persona game, where would be the best place for me to learn about the characters and setting? I'd rather not visit the Wiki and accidentally view spoilers for this game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As someone who has never played a Persona game, where would be the best place for me to learn about the characters and setting? I'd rather not visit the Wiki and accidentally view spoilers for this game.

Play one of them?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
-P3 Portable
-Watch The Answer cutscenes on Youtube
-P4 Golden
-P4 Arena Ultimax (Buy P4A Story DLC)

There, you've gotten it all. Play P1 or P2 games if you really want to. PQ as well, but that really has no effect on anything.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you don't like fighting games, feel free to just watch the cutscenes (by which I of course mean listen to and read along) for Arena/Ultimax online. I dunno that those or The Answer are really necessary though, especially if you're just wanting to play Persona Q.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah if you just wanna play PQ then it's just P3P and P4G.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Zurai posted:

Battles get easier once you get to the second floor and unlock sub-personas, because sub-personas give you a pool of bonus hp and sp that get refreshed at the start of each fight. That means you don't have to spend a third of your total sp to get your Boost chain going.

That said, one thing I've noticed so far (also playing on Hard) is that enemies ambush you a lot. I seriously got ambushed about 2/3 of the time on the first floor.

oh, thanks.

i'm not sure what to do with my copy of ultimax i haven't touched in a month. i'm terrible at fighting games i don't know why i even opened it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Noted! I would play the games, but I only have a 2DS. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

While P3P is a PSP game and P4G is Vita only, you can still play the PS2 versions if you have a PS3. Persona 3 FES and the original Persona 4 are up on the PS2 Classics section. You'd be missing out on a lot of stuff, but if you're just using them to catch up for PQ you don't really need the girl's story in P3 or the bonus dungeon and s-links in P4.