Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illest alive
Jul 29, 2007
DOPE & SHRIMP
I'll keep it simple - IEMs with a particularly good microphone and heavy bass. Currently using an old pair of Pistons that I probably wouldn't bother replacing if not for the need for a better built-in microphone. Alternatives (headsets, separate microphones) aren't an option. I'll spend what I need to - or spend nothing and just keep on truckin with the Pistons if there's nothing substantially better out there. So far I've read a ton of reviews but nothing seems to fit what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

illest alive posted:

I'll keep it simple - IEMs with a particularly good microphone and heavy bass. Currently using an old pair of Pistons that I probably wouldn't bother replacing if not for the need for a better built-in microphone. Alternatives (headsets, separate microphones) aren't an option. I'll spend what I need to - or spend nothing and just keep on truckin with the Pistons if there's nothing substantially better out there. So far I've read a ton of reviews but nothing seems to fit what I'm looking for.

JAYS a-JAYS Five would suit your needs.

illest alive
Jul 29, 2007
DOPE & SHRIMP

Midorka posted:

JAYS a-JAYS Five would suit your needs.

Thanks, looks like that's the combination I wasn't able to find, at a decent price point too. I don't think I'll be much of a fan of the flat cord but we'll see.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

illest alive posted:

Thanks, looks like that's the combination I wasn't able to find, at a decent price point too. I don't think I'll be much of a fan of the flat cord but we'll see.

I hate flat cords, but these can still be worn over ear if the will is there.

Corez
Dec 3, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I received a new pair of Sennheiser Urbanite headphones in black, but I have no use for them. They go for $200, so I thought to offer them up to the thread for $100 + shipping before dealing with Ebay.

Is this offer still on the table?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Midorka posted:

Okay dudes, starting the hype machine now: Limitless Creations HP3BK. NVX sent me them today, they're the sister company of NVX. I threw these on about 30 minutes ago and haven't wanted to remove them. Without knowing the MSRP I suspected around $120+ and was drat near spot on. So these sound like $120 headphones and are $130 headphones, but are retailing for $40 right now.

The sound has a slight mid-bass hump with a slight scoop out of the mids with mellow highs. Not rolled off, just not accented. The sound reminds me a bit of the NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 from memory. I have my XPT100 I will do a comparison to later, but for $40 these are worth every penny and more. I don't know how long the deal is going to last but for $40 you're getting a hell of a deal.

Just impulse bought this. I'm thinking itll be a nice step up from my $20 sennhesiers I've been using. :v:

Thanks for the heads up! And amazon has them at $40 as well, with free shipping.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Corez posted:

Is this offer still on the table?
Ya, shoot me an email at with your address and I'll get you a shipping quote.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

KingKapalone posted:

Are there good wireless headphones to use while lifting? From lifters I've heard these are popular, but I'd like the general audiophile opinion as well http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S11-Flex-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B009M27MB2

And I suppose this could be extended to IEMs that are pretty secure in the ear.

Reposting this.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I finally got my Xiaomi Piston IIs. I have forgotten how wonderful having a soundstage is considering I've been using isolating IEMs for years.

Anyway what are some compatible tips? The supplied ones are junk. Ideally memory foam.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

If anyone out there is looking to get the Beyerdynamic DT 880's (which are my current phones, and I love them a lot), they're up on Massdrop right now for a decent price. You could probably get them cheaper on Amazon if you want to get them used, though.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Red_Fred posted:

I finally got my Xiaomi Piston IIs. I have forgotten how wonderful having a soundstage is considering I've been using isolating IEMs for years.

Anyway what are some compatible tips? The supplied ones are junk. Ideally memory foam.

Assuming these Piston IIs aren't different from the original Pistons, I use Comply T-400 with them and haven't had any problems.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Budget
$200ish
Source
PC and Phone
Requirements for Isolation
Would be nice to have, not a deal breaker.
Preferred Type of Headphone
Over-the-ear/On Ear. I don't like IEMs.
Preferred tonal balance
Whatever
Past headphones
Koss Porta Pros (get caught in my hair and loving everything, but sounded good)
Preferred Music
Mix between podcasts and NuDisco. TV via Netflix.

Notes
I found one pair of headphones
Sony MDR10RBT Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
http://amzn.com/B00FJISZ8M
Which hit a lot of my points. I would ideally want something with both Bluetooth and 3.5 jacks, over or on the ear, and sound canceling.

Sound canceling is the least important thing for me though and I can drop that if it's loving retarded. Bluetooth is pretty important for because I'm sick of the headphones getting caught on stuff.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Budget
$200ish
Source
PC and Phone
Requirements for Isolation
Would be nice to have, not a deal breaker.
Preferred Type of Headphone
Over-the-ear/On Ear. I don't like IEMs.
Preferred tonal balance
Whatever
Past headphones
Koss Porta Pros (get caught in my hair and loving everything, but sounded good)
Preferred Music
Mix between podcasts and NuDisco. TV via Netflix.

Notes
I found one pair of headphones
Sony MDR10RBT Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
http://amzn.com/B00FJISZ8M
Which hit a lot of my points. I would ideally want something with both Bluetooth and 3.5 jacks, over or on the ear, and sound canceling.

Sound canceling is the least important thing for me though and I can drop that if it's loving retarded. Bluetooth is pretty important for because I'm sick of the headphones getting caught on stuff.
Bluetooth introduces a lot of additional inconveniences. When you say your headphones are getting caught on stuff, what are the circumstances?

Also:

Josh Lyman posted:

I received a new pair of Sennheiser Urbanite headphones in black, but I have no use for them. They go for $200, so I thought to offer them up to the thread for $100 + shipping before dealing with Ebay.
Corez was looking for Android-compatible version, not the Apple-compatible one, so the offer is still on the table.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

How's the sound leakage on these? I've been looking for a pair to use in the office.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

From both personal experience and what I've seen going on in the internet channels... Urbanites are an attempt at being Beats while their Momentum line already is way better in terms of ~fancy looks~ for those that for some reason want that. They are not very impressive at all, and I'd go for Momentums 10 out of 10 times over them. The only positive side of them is that the construction on the Urbanites is insane and they feel like intended for rageheads that throw their headset in a fit and then the wall gets a hole in it from their effort because they're -that sturdy-

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Virtue posted:

How's the sound leakage on these? I've been looking for a pair to use in the office.
I haven't actually opened up the box so I can't say, but here's a review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77hDcT_gSZ8

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Bluetooth introduces a lot of additional inconveniences. When you say your headphones are getting caught on stuff, what are the circumstances?

I mean like desk corners and doorknobs. On the shelf that my keyboard rolls out from there's some little holes that just seem to attract any and all wires to get caught in there.

Basically when I'm standing up there's like a 33% chance that the wires will get caught on something. My Koss Porta Pros got destroyed twice because of it.

I'm willing to take either a minor audio hit or a slight price hike to avoid having my headphones explode every couple of months.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I've used Sennheisers MM550 on the go for the better part of three years now, and it's amazing for what they can do for me on the go. They run on Bluetooth and have served me quite well, though they do sound better if you attach a cable to them instead of sending the audio over Bluetooth. I don't use them unless I am commuting or traveling though, for that I have cabled headphones.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
My Bose IE2 mic is starting to die, so I'm looking for a new headset. Primary use is work conference calls and music.

Budget - Around $100 USD.
Source - Nokia Lumia Icon (928)
Isolation Requirements - I prefer to hear things around me. I end up on conference calls while driving, in airports, etc. I'd prefer to minimize sound leakage.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbuds preferred. I don't like the feel of IEMs, and like being able to hear my own voice. I'm open to IEMs if they're comfortable, though.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I prefer bass, and can live with imperfect highs.
Past Headphones -
  • Bose IE2 - Very comfortable: could wear for hours-long conference calls. Sound clarity was okay, though I would have preferred a little more bass. Liked the lack of sound leakage.
  • Shure S4i - Didn't like hearing myself sound like I was underwater while talking. Mic picked up every sound around it, making it useless in noisier environments (airports, cars). I liked the sound signature a lot, even though it was much "closer" than other headphones/headsets I've used.
  • Astro A40 - For working at home. I like the wide soundstage and the clarity, though I wish it had more bass. Mic is excellent for conference calls. I avoid video conferences while wearing them because I look like Princess Leia.
  • Bose QC20 - My first pair of not-:10bux: headphones, so I remember them as better than they probably were. I liked them.
  • Steelseries 5H - I liked the sound signature, but the build quality was so bad one headphone or the other would die every 3 months. Would not recommend.
Preferred Music - Conference calls. Progressive rock, classical, heavy metal, symphonic metal, some alternative.

A noise-cancelling mic is almost a must-have. My co-workers and clients don't want to hear the people next to me at the airport.

Edit: What's the mix quality like on the Pistons?

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 23, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ilifinicus posted:

their Momentum line already is way better in terms of ~fancy looks~ for those that for some reason want that.

Yeah, God forbid people want things that are aesthetically pleasing. They must be stupid or something.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask about headsets with mics but I couldn't find anywhere better on IYG or SH/SC. I was looking at a set of Razer headphones but most likely, you guys would find something way better for the price point. Last I heard, Razer is a brand like Beats or Skullcandy where you pay for the branding more than the headphones and their build quality is a step above abysmal.

Budget - About $100 USD.
Source - PC
Isolation Requirements - Great if I can get it but not super important. If I want the TV in the living room cancelled out, I'll close the door.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Size. Need a mic on this puppy for conference calls. USB connection would be nice but not essential.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not entirely sure what this means but I'd prefer balanced. I'm not that keen on heavy bass.
Past Headphones -
Corsair Vengeance 1500: The comfiest pair of headphones I've ever owned. Turned me from using :10bux: logitech crap to solid, kickass headphones. Only thing I didn't like about these was how HEAVY they were. Jesus christ, I think I got neck problems from these things on really long sessions. I don't think I heard the virtual 7.1 all that well, honestly.

Sennheiser U320 - The pair I'm looking to replace. Much lighter than the 1500s, stereo sound only. I really liked the sound that came out of these but the mic died a slow death and I think the headphones are on the way out as well. I didn't use the "all in one" feature at all. Sometimes causes pain on the ear, sometimes doesn't. They're surprisingly moody.

Preferred Music - Conference calls, gaming, occasionally actual music. Tend to listen to rock or metal.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Looking for a pair of headphones! Ideally they would cancel out low and mid range tones, so I think I'm looking for noise canceling headphones which also block a ton of noise generally. I've heard good things about the QC 15's, but they are sort of pricey and if there is a good cheaper alternative, than I would love to hear about it. I would also be wearing these many hours a day, so being light is very important. Having a microphone included would be nice, but is not necessary. Also I have a pretty big head from being pretty tall in general.

Budget - Willing to pay up to $300, but would prefer to pay more like $150.
Source - Laptop, occasionally iPhone 5.
Isolation Requirements - Yup -- working in an office environment. Really would like to hear as little as possible which is not from the headphones.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Some type of full-size. Circumaural would be great, but flexible.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced!
Past Headphones - I've used the apple headphones, which are fine but not great. I've used the Able Planet NC1100B, which I liked, though sound quality could have been a little better, as could have the noise-canceling/blocking of noise in general. Also used the sennheiser cx 5 earbuds,which were nice but not good for this application.
Preferred Music - Most music. Would prefer something which can handle most genres, including jazz, classical, house, pop, folk, basically everything.

TheArtist 314
Dec 25, 2004

What is your purpose?!

I just wanna rock!

TheArtist 314 posted:

Midorka posted:

I think that the NVX XPT100 are a great all-around option for you.

I saw those linked earlier in the thread, I'll definitely take a look at them, thanks.

Quoting myself; I took a shot and bought these, and they're great! I sort of want to just listen to everything with headphones now. Thanks for the recommendation Midorka.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Glad you like them man. They're one of the best budget headphones out there IMO.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
I know the downsides to bluetooth, but I’m interested in seeing what options are recommended here for some over ear supra-aural (or circum- too I suppose) Bluetooth headphones.

Budget – I’m willing to spend up to maybe $300ish, but if there is a decent option at a lower price point I’d be fine with that.
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - nope
Preferred Type of Headphone – anything over ear is fine..
Preferred Tonal Balance – balanced to bass heavy.
Past Headphones – nothing special, mostly in ear.
Preferred Music – Varied with plurality of hip hop, podcasts.

toybux fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 23, 2014

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Sup bosgoon!

Not many people know about the ugly as sin Panasonic RP-HC800, but they're pretty much exactly what you described.

http://m.shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/RP-HC800-K

That price is msrp, so you might get a better deal on amazon or BB. Their noise cancelation is decent (read, a hair under 20dB) from 0-1kHz, which is about the exact same as the Bose QC25s. It's tough to do better without doing in ears!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Does anyone have any tips for increasing the clamping force of headphones, particularly Beyerdynamics DT-880's? I really love my headphones but I sometimes wish they were a little more snug on my head.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

I've used Sennheisers MM550 on the go for the better part of three years now, and it's amazing for what they can do for me on the go. They run on Bluetooth and have served me quite well, though they do sound better if you attach a cable to them instead of sending the audio over Bluetooth. I don't use them unless I am commuting or traveling though, for that I have cabled headphones.

These look really nice. They're only 210 via amazon warehouse (with some minor scuffing which I can deal with).

Battery life looks to be about half that of the Sony headphones but hey, whatever, I can switch to wired mode if they run out.

Noise cancellation is nice for plane rides.

I think I'll get 'em. Thanks!

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

WugLyfe posted:

Sup bosgoon!

Not many people know about the ugly as sin Panasonic RP-HC800, but they're pretty much exactly what you described.

http://m.shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/RP-HC800-K

That price is msrp, so you might get a better deal on amazon or BB. Their noise cancelation is decent (read, a hair under 20dB) from 0-1kHz, which is about the exact same as the Bose QC25s. It's tough to do better without doing in ears!

Thank you! Looks like I can find it for much cheaper elsewhere online. Are in-ears really that much better at sounds canceling?

e: oh my god, this review makes in-ears sound better. Is this true?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2423004%2c00.asp

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 24, 2014

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Budget - ~200ish
Source - monitoring DAW audio production on a macbook (with an audio interface on occasion) + FLACs
Isolation Requirements - don't care
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEMs
Preferred Tonal Balance - Flat, punchy undistorted bass.
Past Headphones -
  • Some on ear Sony clip ons
  • Various uncomfortable on hear headphones
Preferred Music - Literally everything including rap and country, and idm.

The Wirecutter just updated their $200 range IEM recommendation with the Sony XBA-H1.
Any other recommendations ?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Panda Time posted:

Budget - ~200ish
Source - monitoring DAW audio production on a macbook (with an audio interface on occasion) + FLACs
Isolation Requirements - don't care
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEMs
Preferred Tonal Balance - Flat, punchy undistorted bass.
Past Headphones -
  • Some on ear Sony clip ons
  • Various uncomfortable on hear headphones
Preferred Music - Literally everything including rap and country, and idm.

The Wirecutter just updated their $200 range IEM recommendation with the Sony XBA-H1.
Any other recommendations ?

Rock-It R-50 are my go-to.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

semicolonsrock posted:

Thank you! Looks like I can find it for much cheaper elsewhere online. Are in-ears really that much better at sounds canceling?

e: oh my god, this review makes in-ears sound better. Is this true?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2423004%2c00.asp

In-ears physically prevent the sound from going into your eardrum, without pumping in more sound to cancel it out. Additionally, active noise cancellation can't block out incidental sound like someone dropping plates, people talking, throwing silverware down the stairs, etc. Anything using a physical seal in your ear canal will be much better at blocking sounds like regular office noise, footsteps, really anything.

ANC pretty much good for airplanes, subways, cars, buses—anything with long droning sounds.

e. If you do go the plain in-ear route, you can also pick up foam tips like Comply, or pliable ear-molds like DeciBullz to provide better isolation.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 24, 2014

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

WugLyfe posted:

In-ears physically prevent the sound from going into your eardrum, without pumping in more sound to cancel it out. Additionally, active noise cancellation can't block out incidental sound like someone dropping plates, people talking, throwing silverware down the stairs, etc. Anything using a physical seal in your ear canal will be much better at blocking sounds like regular office noise, footsteps, really anything.

ANC pretty much good for airplanes, subways, cars, buses—anything with long droning sounds.

e. If you do go the plain in-ear route, you can also pick up foam tips like Comply, or pliable ear-molds like DeciBullz to provide better isolation.

Ah interesting. May go the ANC plus in ear route in that case. Thank you~

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

TheArtist 314 posted:

I saw those linked earlier in the thread, I'll definitely take a look at them, thanks.

Quoting myself; I took a shot and bought these, and they're great! I sort of want to just listen to everything with headphones now. Thanks for the recommendation Midorka.
[/quote]

How big and snug are they? I have a pretty big head so most headphones start hurting after thirty minutes.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Welp, just ordered some AKG K7XX off Massdrop. Looking forward to seeing how they compare to my AD900X.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Just got some HD650. Will post impressions later!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Two things:

1) I want to get my dad a headset as a gift (he's on phone conferences a lot and uses one currently), does anyone have recommendations? Budget is about 50$

2) I need headphones for myself, has anyone had a negative experience with Sennheiser HD 518s? Biggest factor for me is comfort, since I wear headphones for several hours a day, and I don't need audiophile perfect quality since I have a bit of a tin ear (my previous pair are HD 419s, which were great until they wore out)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
So the first reviews out on the Bluetooth Solo2 are all quite positive. Apparently a lot of work went into making these as indistinguishable from the wired ones as possible and it seems to have been a success both sound-wise and aesthetically.

The 12-hour battery rating is apparently spot-on and they're supposedly really easy to pair with phones and computers and poo poo.

I guess if you're in the market for bluetooth headphones with phone call capabilities these should probably be at the top of your list. They cost $300, which is expensive, but not unreasonably so compared to similar offerings from other companies.

I personally won't be getting any within the near future but these should become notably less expensive in some months (and the inevitable Solo 3 might be even better, who knows).

In any case, it's still funny to see every review include a variation on "I hate Beats. I can't believe I'm giving these things a pass."

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

BurritoJustice posted:

Welp, just ordered some AKG K7XX off Massdrop. Looking forward to seeing how they compare to my AD900X.

Do tell. I'm interested in that AKG line, but I was concerned they would sound too similar to Audio Technicas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

There's an AMA going on with Will Bright of Massdrop who helped design the KXX going on at 1pm EST today on /r/headphones