Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

This is one of the best new podcasts this year and it would tragic if it kept going without a thread.

What is The Dollop?

From the ashes(?) of Walking the Room, Dave Anthony started his own podcast called The Dollop. The first few episodes were by himself, about small subjects or topics Dave wanted to complain about mostly. But soon he added a guest named Gary Reynolds, and it switched focus to the strangest tales from American history. Every week, Dave finds another tale to share with Gary and us.

If you're familiar with Walking The Room, you can expect the same kind of humor, (Wil Anderson of TOFOP appeared at the Podfest episode, Patton Oswalt will be on a future episode,) but more focused and less about terrible neighbors. If you're not familiar, expect a lot of strong language and explicit discussions.

The Hosts:

Dave Anthony

GarethGary Reynolds

Where should I start?
The whole run can be found here. You should be able to start at the beginning and go from there, but anywhere is good to jump in. Personal favorites of mine are Dolphins, David Hahn, and The Two Dog Men.

Other:
LA Podfest 2014 show with Wil Anderson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlw3vIa66tI

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/thedollop

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/thedollop?ty=h

Maduo fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I didn't know a thing about Gareth Reynolds before The Dollop, but his constant anguish over what Dave tells him on a regular basis is my favorite thing.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I really like this show a whole lot. Some of the stories are so bizarre I've gone back and listened to them a second time and forgotten the insane turn that always happens about 30 minutes in.

caligulamprey posted:

I didn't know a thing about Gareth Reynolds before The Dollop, but his constant anguish over the new theme song is my favorite thing.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 26, 2014

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
Great OP, not sure where you pulled Gareth from but that's a great picture of Gary

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm surprised Competitive Endurance Tickling isn't on that list because it's the loving craziest loving thing ever

The Dolphin is fantastic just for being a slow decent into madness but Competitive Endurance Tickling is like an onion that somehow starts insane and is crazier and crazier over time

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

a new Smallop on The Kentucky Meat Shower just dropped

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Dollop is my favourite podcast at the moment, and it's great to see Dave Anthony getting some success. Anyone else feel like he has picked up a few Greg mannerisms? Stuff like him singing a new theme tune at the start of episodes is very Greggy.

Toxxupation posted:

I'm surprised Competitive Endurance Tickling isn't on that list because it's the loving craziest loving thing ever

The Dolphin is fantastic just for being a slow decent into madness but Competitive Endurance Tickling is like an onion that somehow starts insane and is crazier and crazier over time

Even better was finding out Ash Williams (a regular feature on various Australian podcasts including FOFOP, which Dave is a regular guest on) has actually done work as one of the ticklees in the past.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Senor Tron posted:

The Dollop is my favourite podcast at the moment, and it's great to see Dave Anthony getting some success. Anyone else feel like he has picked up a few Greg mannerisms? Stuff like him singing a new theme tune at the start of episodes is very Greggy.

I think he just adopted some of Greg's schtick from WTR for the purpose of the podcast. I tweeted at them at some point that Dave is the Greg of The Dollop and honestly he is. Gary is a way way less aggro Dave from WTR.

perceptron
Aug 8, 2007

This is my new favorite podcast, constantly surprised by the stories that come up. I think vampire panic is the most tragically hilarious, which is what epitomizes most of the subjects so far

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

New episode is up and it's on the internet's favorite history subject:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I listened to the AC/DC episode last night, it was good. Not quite knock my socks off where I am 100% into it and want to listen to the entire catalog, but I didn't hate it like I do 95% of comedy podcasts, so that's a good start I guess? Most shows I pretty much grow an instant dislike for at least one of the hosts within like a minute, but that didn't happen here. Also, I hate shows that have guests every week and it seems that this show isn't as guest heavy which is nice. There's nothing more I dislike than comedians sitting around talking about comedy and how funny they are with different guest comedians every week, which seems to be most podcasts these days, so I respect these guys for sticking to a theme. Same reason why UYD is my favorite show, no guests, no bullshit, just a couple funny dudes making fun of the world and themselves.

Maybe I'll check out another episode sometime.

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 2, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I got into this due to the buzz. The first ep was good but Purity Balls just loving slayed me.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

People love to complain about podcasters laughing too much in a mic, but I find Dave's cackling hyena sounds positively infectious.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

fatherboxx posted:

People love to complain about podcasters laughing too much in a mic, but I find Dave's cackling hyena sounds positively infectious.

I think that's Gary, Dave has the super smoky laugh that sounds like he's dying

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I got into this yesterday and it's some of the funniest poo poo I've heard in a long time. I think only the best of MBMBAM has gotten me to laugh out loud as much as I have at some of the exchanges here.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Rube is probably my favorite episode, either that or The Wildman of Borneo.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Drunkboxer posted:

The Rube is probably my favorite episode, either that or The Wildman of Borneo.

The Rube is one of my top 5 podcast episodes of all time.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 2, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Dave is way better about it in newer episodes. A couple of the early ones could be half an hour long if you edited out the hysterics

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I think I've listened to the Jack Parsons episode 3 times now and I don't know if I've ever listened to a podcast more than once other than that. My favorite thing about the Dollop is when you think you've reached peak insanity with the story only to find out that there's like an hour left.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Stroker Ace posted:

I think I've listened to the Jack Parsons episode 3 times now and I don't know if I've ever listened to a podcast more than once other than that. My favorite thing about the Dollop is when you think you've reached peak insanity with the story only to find out that there's like an hour left.

Haha. Wait, that wasn't crazy enough for you? Ok, let's introduce L. Ron Hubbard into the situation.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Accidentally opened this on my phone yesterday instead of the Giant Bomb thread, and that was a happy mistake because this thing is loving hysterical. So far my favorite episode is Ghosts.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I went to the live recording with Patton Oswalt last night, I can't begin to sum up the topic or if that counts as spoilers, but getting to see Gareth's reaction when he has that moment where he figures out where the story is going was worth the price of the ticket alone.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who's gareth

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Yeah, he was introduced as Gary, and of course everyone started chanting "Gary! Gary! Gary!" It really does seem to still fluster him, which only means it gets funnier every time.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Ten Cent Beer Night was so goddamn amazing that I decided to write a class final on the story itself. Patton Oswalt deserves a medal, because he has introduced me now to two great Dave Anthony podcasts.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm not really looking forward to a full month of police brutality.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm not really looking forward to a full month of police brutality.

Yeah, it seems early in the podcast to have an entire month dedicated to one subject. One of the best things about the Dollop is how different every story is.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The second LAPD episode has very little to do with police brutality and is more about the wholesale corruption in early 1900s LA. One of the main players Dave covers is truly amazing and would have been great fodder for a Dollop episode all on his own.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Clifford Clinton is maybe my favorite human being that I've ever heard of and that postscript to his life was maybe the single best moment of the podcast, especially Gareths reaction

Just

Just my most favorite thing

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Toxxupation posted:

Clifford Clinton is maybe my favorite human being that I've ever heard of and that postscript to his life was maybe the single best moment of the podcast, especially Gareths reaction

Just

Just my most favorite thing

It was a nice inversion of the implacable descent into absurdity and despair that occurs in most of the episodes.

With lube.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Next time in L.A., I'm making a beeline to Clifton's Cafeteria.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Wow, that looks really nice. Do they still operate on the pay-what-you-want system and give out sassy newspapers?

I'm glad this one ended on a happy ending ( :haw: ), the 3rd chapter of this story is probably not going to be as sweet.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Clifton's has been closed for remodeling since it was sold like 4 years ago, the reopening date keeps getting moved.

This article about his mistress is pretty cool:
http://www.laweekly.com/publicspectacle/2013/06/20/my-mother-was-the-mistress-of-the-owner-of-cliftons-cafeteria

The Stroker Ace fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 16, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
10 cent beer night episode is pretty good. These guys do sure laugh a whole lot at each others jokes though. It's kind of annoying. I mean, it's funny but not that funny. Chill out.

It also helps to have a contrast once in a while. As in, if you don't laugh like crazy every 2 seconds, the moments that you do seem that much funnier and the listener gets the giggles as well. Instead it seems like these dudes crack the gently caress up after every new factoid in the story. It's one thing I really like about UYD, they don't die laughing at each other very often, but when they do, you get caught up with it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009
Yo thanks for getting me into this podcast, goons. It makes me laugh like MBMBAM makes me laugh, which is a rare thing. I'm currently just consuming the back catolog and listening to nothing else.

The Rube, Jack Parsons, everything...it's just amazing how you think it can't get weirder....and then it turns out the NYC subway vigilante guy is now incorrectly raising squirrels in his apartment.
Listening to "The Two Dog Men" now and this line killed me:

"Yankee Sullivan, what do you think he did?"
"I think he was a catcher's mitt with eyes!"

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
My favorite Dollop episodes are the ones where I have a passing familiarity of the story, like the nuclear boy scout, the MOVE firebombing, or Bernie Goetz, where I go into it thinking "Oh, I know this story, this should make for a funny episode." And then my mind is blown when the other crazy shoe drops and I realize that the rabbit hole goes much, much further then I ever could have possibly imagined.

So much better when you know the story is about to take a hard turn, and then it busts through the guardrail and careens off a cliff into crazy town.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

That is exactly what hooked me as well. You think you know the story of the guy who fed acid to dolphins and then all of a sudden dicks start getting removed bloodlessly.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I started listening a couple of months ago and as much as I love the crazy turns, my favorite moment is the reveal in the last few minutes of the Carry A Nation episode. It's like the final scene in a time travel movie that tips you off to something much earlier, and now you need to re-watch the movie to see all of the signs that led to that point.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

iirc that was actually a really common banner of the women's temperance movement, that wives would stay home and get hosed over both figuratively and literally by their alcoholic husbands who would simultaneously go around and gently caress any whore that moved in all the pubs around town, such that the wives would contract a whole myriad number of painful STDs

like there was a fairly convincing belief that outlawing booze would make it so women's husbands would stop giving them syphilis and crabs and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was kind of figuring that the live Dollop would end up being paid downloads like the Walking the Room ones were, but it's free and up right now.