Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Yeast posted:

Retina 5K arrived.

This display has ruined me for anything else, good lord.

It really is glorious. I feel guilty about the money when I think about it too much, but god I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Think of it as spending the money you would have spent in some dive bar on booze surrounded by scum and villainy while muttering to yourself 'shoulda gotten that Retina my life would be so much better'

I'm fairly positive that's what I'd be doing if I didn't have my 13-inch Late 2013 rMBP..

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Think of it this way: how much of your day/week/life do you spend in front of that particular display?

If you do a lot of work from home or are a student plus you use your computer for most of your entertainment needs, that can be a really loving huge lump of time, in which case the cost shouldn't be that big an issue. Something that makes an object you interact with that much better is worth spending money on.

If it's an office computer that you check email on maybe 5x a day and ignore for the rest of it? Arguably a complete waste of money.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Got my Retina 5K a day earlier than FedEx estimated. :dance:

It is indeed glorious. Pity I have to wait for my 150GB backup to restore, but at least I can retire my primary Hackintosh.

Edit: Boo, the restore is going to take another two hours. :(

kode54 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 26, 2014

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

kode54 posted:

Edit: Boo, the restore is going to take another two hours. :(

and then another four.... another five....

Time Machine: "it works, sometimes, eventually."

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Right after I posted that and let the screen turn off for a moment, I powered it on again and it had shot up to 6.5 hours, which has since quickly dropped to 1h41m.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kode54 posted:

Right after I posted that and let the screen turn off for a moment, I powered it on again and it had shot up to 6.5 hours, which has since quickly dropped to 1h41m.

Get thee a god drat USB 3 drive for Time Machine. My jaw loving dropped at how fast it restored a full Time Machine backup when I bought my latest rMBP.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
My gf just dropped something on her mac and this happened

Is this just a simple fix like the website in the picture? If so, what is the best option? I do not have any experience with Macs.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The Glass and LCD panel is damaged.

Take it to an Apple Store and get a quote.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

goodness posted:

My gf just dropped something on her mac and this happened

Is this just a simple fix like the website in the picture? If so, what is the best option? I do not have any experience with Macs.

Your question has been answered, but...

Woah, someone actually uses Finder's tags!? I never understood the purpose of colour-coding my file system, but hey, if it's useful to someone, that's cool.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeast posted:

The Glass and LCD panel is damaged.

Take it to an Apple Store and get a quote.

It's going to be over $1000. Just go in expecting that at the minimum.

Check a 3rd party before you go through Apple in my opinion, it will always be way cheaper.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 26, 2014

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Check a 3rd party before you go through Apple in my opinion, it will always be way cheaper.
Really? I just got an offer to fix my 13" rMBP screen and it was around 250€, from a 3rd party. Is there something to be concerned about here?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Really? I just got an offer to fix my 13" rMBP screen and it was around 250€, from a 3rd party. Is there something to be concerned about here?

That sounds about right from what I've seen on macrumors from people going through a 3rd party. Apple just likes to overcharge on this stuff. I would trust them the most but its not like this is brain surgery. I wouldn't do the repair myself or take it to best buy, but a 3rd party (as in a local place that had more reason to do a quality job) can do the repair just as well.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This is totally wrong.

Lcd display panels for portables tend to be $500-$600 at apple, although 15" rmbp might be a little more.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

This is totally wrong.

Lcd display panels for portables tend to be $500-$600 at apple, although 15" rmbp might be a little more.

Especially if it's a post Late 2012 model where you have to buy a whole new LCD assembly, not just take the screen out of the bezel.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
If my macbook doesn't recognise the hard drive when it's connected inside, but i can boot using a sata -> usb cable it's definitely the hard drive cable that's broken right?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Arg, now I am really conflicted. B&H Photo have the base retina iMac for $2300, shipped and tax free.

I have one on order with Apple for closer to $3000 for the same config with a 512gb ssd. I was set on the SSD only setup but I am not sure its $700 better.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Your question has been answered, but...

Woah, someone actually uses Finder's tags!? I never understood the purpose of colour-coding my file system, but hey, if it's useful to someone, that's cool.

It can be super useful to create different groups and apply multiple tags. Personally I've started doing that myself as an extension to how I organize my email, Onenote notebook for work, Devonthink for research, and task lists. It's so much more flexible than a hierarchical directory system for organization.

Tagging will be a thing that takes off once we get a ZFS-like implementation as a successor to HFS.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crack posted:

If my macbook doesn't recognise the hard drive when it's connected inside, but i can boot using a sata -> usb cable it's definitely the hard drive cable that's broken right?

If you're booting the same drive, then it's either your internal SATA connector on the logic board or the cable. If it's one of those flat ribbon cables, those things are like paper and can tear if you give them a hard look.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I have os x on an ssd and a windows bootcamp install on a platter drive in my 2011 mac mini.
Had a few power failures overnight and now the ssd wont show up. Is it likely dead? Holding option when booting only shows the windows install. No recovery or os x option appears,

The mini is a pain to disassaemble to get the hard drive out to test in an external box

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
Setting up a new iMac for my father. The migration assistant has been going on for about 10 hours while insisting there is less than a minute left. I have it connected to the old computer via Ethernet. Is this normal? I'm not sure how much there is to transfer, but no more than 300 gigs.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Are there any affordable Thunderbolt external drives and should I even be considering one for basic needs?

I want to back up my MacBook before taking it to an Apple store for what I assume will be repairs that require them to keep my computer (screen burn-in, posted about it pages and pages ago) and I just need something to keep photos and songs or whatever on.

Also, any general consensus on awesome externals that work especially well with OSX or anything? I've never owned or even used one before.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
So it turns out the fans rev up on the iMac 5K just doing editing and organising images in Lightroom 5.

I've also got an Eizo 2560x1440 connected, and I think it's struggling to run itself, that, and process the RAW files simultaneously. I didn't expect this, to be honest.

I've got until the 12th of December to return it. Tough one :smithcloud:

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Does it not do that just editing RAW files alone? I'd imagine that itself would peg the CPU at 100%?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Bonobos posted:

Arg, now I am really conflicted. B&H Photo have the base retina iMac for $2300, shipped and tax free.

I have one on order with Apple for closer to $3000 for the same config with a 512gb ssd. I was set on the SSD only setup but I am not sure its $700 better.

The base one has a fusion drive right? I would say that it is not worth $700 to upgrade in that case, in my opinion.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Well, I went to B&H to order AppleCare for my Retina 5K iMac, and it's telling me my serial number is invalid. Should I go straight to Apple instead?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

kode54 posted:

Well, I went to B&H to order AppleCare for my Retina 5K iMac, and it's telling me my serial number is invalid. Should I go straight to Apple instead?

Just take it on down to best buy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is it dumb of me to not only want this, but kinda want the one with the LED that makes it look like a sleeping Mac from years gone by?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just take it on down to best buy.

That's ridiculous, but I may consider it.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
If I were to order a MacBook Pro Retina 13", which configuration should I get for the most bang for my buck?

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Eight Is Legend posted:

If I were to order a MacBook Pro Retina 13", which configuration should I get for the most bang for my buck?

The most RAM you can afford, and the biggest ssd you can afford. Minimum 8 GB of RAM is what I'd specifically recommend.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

yoyomama posted:

The most RAM you can afford, and the biggest ssd you can afford. Minimum 8 GB of RAM is what I'd specifically recommend.

They all come with a minimum of 8GB ram now :)

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
After 12 hours we gave up on the direct migration and switched to restoring from a time machine backup. That took 2 hours. Huh.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Yeast posted:

So it turns out the fans rev up on the iMac 5K just doing editing and organising images in Lightroom 5.

I've also got an Eizo 2560x1440 connected, and I think it's struggling to run itself, that, and process the RAW files simultaneously. I didn't expect this, to be honest.

I've got until the 12th of December to return it. Tough one :smithcloud:

Fan sound != struggling. It just means that the computer is doing work which generates heat, and it needs to move that heat out of the way to continue to function at full speed.

Obviously if it's full-tilt all the time there's an issue, but the fans spinning up during heavier use is not only normal, but actually a good thing.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

aeiou posted:

After 12 hours we gave up on the direct migration and switched to restoring from a time machine backup. That took 2 hours. Huh.

How old of a system were you migrating from, out of curiosity?

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
I've just inherited a 2010 Mac Pro (basically this model) that I'd like to turn into a home workstation/server. It has the MacPro RAID card installed and 2x2TB SATA drives right now.

Initially I want to give this system a SSD and fill out its internal storage with new hard drives. Apple says SSDs are not recommended with the RAID card, so it seems I have two avenues:
  1. Lose the RAID card, put a standard SATA SSD in one of the 4 bays, and then put three WD Reds (or similar?) in the remaining spots.
  2. Use some other solution such as this PCIe SSD for the SSD OS disk, keep the RAID card and fill all four internal bays with hard drives.
I'm leaning toward option #2 since it seems cleaner and more flexible, but the SSD solution is a bit on the pricey side. Has anyone had experience with this OWC card? Are there other competing solutions or options for getting a SSD system drive in a Mac Pro tower without using the drive bays?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sonic Dude posted:

Fan sound != struggling. It just means that the computer is doing work which generates heat, and it needs to move that heat out of the way to continue to function at full speed.

Obviously if it's full-tilt all the time there's an issue, but the fans spinning up during heavier use is not only normal, but actually a good thing.

Oh yeah, I realise that - It's just confronting coming from a 2013 Mac Pro.

With the two machines running side by side both importing and rendering 1:1 previews in Lightroom, the iMac is sitting on 2500rpm, while the Pro is on 789rpm.

So I just have to weigh up the pros and cons and go from there. That display is incredibly compelling.

(I didn't think I'd be such a diva about fan noise, yet)

Yeast fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 27, 2014

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

fleshweasel posted:

How old of a system were you migrating from, out of curiosity?

24" iMac7,1 from 2007. It was running 10.9, I figured I wouldn't bother updating it before transferring.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yeast posted:

Oh yeah, I realise that - It's just confronting coming from a 2013 Mac Pro.

With the two machines running side by side both importing and rendering 1:1 previews in Lightroom, the iMac is sitting on 2500rpm, while the Pro is on 789rpm.

So I just have to weigh up the pros and cons and go from there. That display is incredibly compelling.

(I didn't think I'd be such a diva about fan noise, yet)

Considering like 90% of the Mac Pro (I'm assuming 2013 here) is basically an exhaust system, it would make sense that it runs at lower fan speeds that then iMac which is a tomb of aluminum with basically one vent port.

If its pre 2013, then all that extra space in the body makes a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Alowishus posted:

I've just inherited a 2010 Mac Pro (basically this model) that I'd like to turn into a home workstation/server. It has the MacPro RAID card installed and 2x2TB SATA drives right now.

Initially I want to give this system a SSD and fill out its internal storage with new hard drives. Apple says SSDs are not recommended with the RAID card, so it seems I have two avenues:
  1. Lose the RAID card, put a standard SATA SSD in one of the 4 bays, and then put three WD Reds (or similar?) in the remaining spots.
  2. Use some other solution such as this PCIe SSD for the SSD OS disk, keep the RAID card and fill all four internal bays with hard drives.
I'm leaning toward option #2 since it seems cleaner and more flexible, but the SSD solution is a bit on the pricey side. Has anyone had experience with this OWC card? Are there other competing solutions or options for getting a SSD system drive in a Mac Pro tower without using the drive bays?

Sonnet Tempo Pro faster than Accelsior, why not use the RAID card, you haven't told us what kind of work the workstation is going to do.

Personally if it were me and I wanted the fastest SSD boot and I had money coming out of my ears, I'd get a Sintech PCIe adapter card and one of those Mac Pro 1 TB SSD blades, their speed / price / performance ratio makes the STP and Accelsior look like poo poo.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 28, 2014