Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

univbee posted:

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that they ship with 3.18, which means very very few physical card games would work (and downloads wouldn't be an option since you'd need to update to get to the store). Make drat sure the CFW works with a PSTV, though.

Yeah, I've been reading up on Wololo and stuff. Honestly half of it is just that it's such a weird item that I can't see it staying on the market long, and it'd be a cool thing to try some of the homebrew stuff on while keeping my regular Vita good for remote play (which is pretty much 90% of what I use it for these days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

So with the price cut at gamestop/amazon I'm thinking of grabbing one, for pretty much the sole purpose of homebrew/cfw stuff for it- anyone know what firmware the NA version ships with?

It ships with firmware 3.20.

I don't follow the homebrew scene too closely, but every time PSTV is mentioned, they also say not to update from 3.20.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Can someone tell me how to set up PS1 games to use analog controls? I know that the game I'm playing (Ridge Racer 4) has Dual Shock support, but I'm not sure how to enable it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Whoa, finally remembered to disable the PS4 direct connect for remote play and it's improved things dramatically. Worst room in the house barely has any lag now through my wireless bridge. So make sure to disable it unless your router is terrible or non-existant.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Can someone tell me how to set up PS1 games to use analog controls? I know that the game I'm playing (Ridge Racer 4) has Dual Shock support, but I'm not sure how to enable it.

I would assume it's specific to the game so check its digital manual if there's information about that.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Launch the game and wait for it to get past the PSP emulator screen, then hold the PS button and you'll see another set of options for the game; go into that menu, and in the options is a setting to change the controller to analog mode

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

univbee posted:

Whoa, finally remembered to disable the PS4 direct connect for remote play and it's improved things dramatically. Worst room in the house barely has any lag now through my wireless bridge. So make sure to disable it unless your router is terrible or non-existant.
Nice. I did notice direct connect was less stable for me too. I rearranged the topography like I said and found that the remote play hitching nearly disappeared, though it still lags too much to play a shooter or Spelunky. Unfortunately when I tried FF14 the hitching got even worse than before, probably because both the online traffic from the PS4 and the remote play stream were then on the same switch. Maybe I should try direct connect when using a game to play online? Or maybe I should just stop dicking around with this remote play poo poo that I don't even really need.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Launch the game and wait for it to get past the PSP emulator screen, then hold the PS button and you'll see another set of options for the game; go into that menu, and in the options is a setting to change the controller to analog mode

Thanks!

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I have an old Vita TV model, I heard that it's now region free with the latest software update - for anyone who owns a model, is that true? And if so can I just move my 32GB from my Vita into the Vita TV? Would make Freedom Wars more comfy than usual, and Killzone: Mercenaries if it became compatible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Killzone got patched a month or so back to be compatible, and I think univbee said that updating it does work like that, but update it, sign in to your normal account and throw your memory card in, if it doesn't work it won't wipe it without asking you first.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

neetengie posted:

I have an old Vita TV model, I heard that it's now region free with the latest software update - for anyone who owns a model, is that true?

Yes, but with one small exception: The Featured LiveArea will be stuck displaying ads from the region that the PSTV was purchased from, no matter what region your PSN account was registered in.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yechezkel posted:

Yes, but with one small exception: The Featured LiveArea will be stuck displaying ads from the region that the PSTV was purchased from, no matter what region your PSN account was registered in.
Weirdly I don't have that on my VitaTV. I guess it was from some non-Japan region in Asia?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

Also O and X's roles as Confirm/Cancel are locked based on the region the console is purchased in. But yes, it works, my early testing when the NA stores went live was with a Japanese unit.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

univbee posted:

Also O and X's roles as Confirm/Cancel are locked based on the region the console is purchased in. But yes, it works, my early testing when the NA stores went live was with a Japanese unit.

Most games will use the correct regional Confirm/Cancel with the exception of one game: Muramasa Rebirth.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

X/O roles have been completely arbitrary in games for me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RadicalR posted:

Most games will use the correct regional Confirm/Cancel with the exception of one game: Muramasa Rebirth.

-Plays Yakuza game, game tells me to press circle with pretty graphics but sometimes I have to press X :negative:-

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Yechezkel posted:

univbee posted:

Alright, thanks you two. So I just have to update the firmware for the Vita TV, or can I just stick my 32GB Memory card in it and everything will go smoothly? I just don't want to screw anything up.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

neetengie posted:

Alright, thanks you two. So I just have to update the firmware for the Vita TV, or can I just stick my 32GB Memory card in it and everything will go smoothly? I just don't want to screw anything up.

When I got mine, I skipped the account creation for the first time, it downloaded the update. I installed it and did a system format. The second time, I logged in with my account information.

Works great - I'm loving this thing. I'm on the road and it's nice to play Vita games at the hotel.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Did a bunch of experimenting.

Tales of Hearts R doesn't show up in the PSTV store but is confirmed working. Senran Kagura Bon Appetit is definitely not working.

Nidhogg supports 2 controllers, and you can also play multiplayer in "single controller" mode (Player 1 uses left stick, D-Pad up to jump and D-Pad right to attack, and player 2 uses the right stick with X to jump and square to attack. PS4 version doesn't have this mode and requires 2 controllers always. Purchase single-handedly redeemed.

Anyone know off-hand of any other native Vita games which support multiple controllers on the PS TV now? I remember Spelunky, anything else?

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 22, 2014

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

They fixed Final Fantasy III...you can play that now (And because of that every Final Fantasy until 10-2 is playable on the Vita TV!). Perhaps they've fixed other games?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wrong thread!

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 26, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I was kind of surprised this thing doesn't have 5.1 surround.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

jabro posted:

I was kind of surprised this thing doesn't have 5.1 surround.
Since the Vita obviously doesn't support surround sound, why would Vita games be developed for it?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Samurai Sanders posted:

Since the Vita obviously wouldn't support surround sound, why would Vita games be developed for it?

Because it remote plays PS4 games and it's 2014.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

jabro posted:

Because it remote plays PS4 games and it's 2014.
You think the lovely remote play could cope with a 5.1 surround signal? It barely functions as is.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hooray at Final Fantasy III working now. Sadly Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles is still busted. Didn't try Peace Walker as I wasn't really wanting to redownload two gbs to see if it works or not.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

Hooray at Final Fantasy III working now. Sadly Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles is still busted. Didn't try Peace Walker as I wasn't really wanting to redownload two gbs to see if it works or not.

Tried Peace Walker and still not working :argh: Good news for FF3, though, nice to have the first 11 games in English on a single console.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just a heads-up, amazon.ca has the bare Vita TV for $79 and the Bundle (includes 8 gig memory card, Black Dualshock 3 and Lego Movie Videogame DL code) for $99.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Akuma posted:

You think the lovely remote play could cope with a 5.1 surround signal? It barely functions as is.

Dolby digital is only 448kbps

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Dolby digital is only 448kbps

Dolby goes up to 640 kbps, just DVD caps it at 448 (and lower bitrates like 384 are perfectly valid and common). That said, Dolby would have required specialized hardware in the unit itself and probably created problems since native Dolby Digital doesn't handle signal loss very gracefully. Likely it would have to transfer the sound via the network using some other codec (encoded at the PS4 end) and converted at the PSTV end back to native Dolby/DTS/PCM, which probably would have also increased costs from licensing issues.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Does this use the same ac adaptor as the regular Vita?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Does this use the same ac adaptor as the regular Vita?

No, it has a tiny round connector and not a USB one.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Wow this thread was buried.

Anyways those of us who have been holding their breath for Ys patch to support PSTV might as well kill ourselves as it seems 99% never happening.

quote:

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:06 AM
There won't be "hopeful news," unfortunately -- this is one of those situations where either it gets done, or it doesn't. In other words, there won't be a notice that "don't worry, Falcom is working on it" -- they'll just do it, and let us know, and we'll be able to announce that it's done.

So far, however, that hasn't happened. Sorry!

http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showtopic=27722&st=50

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I ended up buying one for $85 on a sale. I got to thinking about it and the entirety of the Atelier Plus dusk series, the rest of the Neptunia Rebirth games, Persona 5 Poochie Edition, and some other obscure JRPGs will be able to be played on it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Akuma posted:

Remote play works pretty well for me. I've been using it a lot lately. That being said, surround sound through it seems pretty ridiculous to me, but hey.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I really wanted to play Celceta with my PSTV but I guess that's never happening. Huge bummer. At least SAO works now, right?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Yep, SAO works just fine.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Anyone know fi i can play Crash team racing on this bad boy?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Squelch Hardon posted:

Anyone know fi i can play Crash team racing on this bad boy?

Not officially, although if you got it during the accidental "all PS1 games" whitelisting a few months back you can transfer it and it'll run, although probably not in a stable fashion.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Ahh it looks like none of the multitap games are compatible at eall :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm having issues moving games from my PS3 to my PSTV today. It's the first time I've tried so I don't know how it's supposed to work. I have registered my PSTV with my PS3, the games are in their "bubble" form, not installed. I get a generic error that is along the lines of "There is a problem with the Content Manager". Does PSN have to be stable to authorize the transfer or something? I sort of figure it has to do with the Lizard Squad troubles but Sony's knowledgebase isn't super helpful.

• Locked thread