Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

per CriterionForum, it's Ride the Pink Horse (1947).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

HOLY BALLS ARE THEY DOING RIDE THE PINK HORSE?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hector Beerlioz posted:

At last, My Little Pony will get the Criterion treatment it deserves.

You laugh, but someone has actually made a fake Criterion cover for the series. :shepface:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The Man Who Fell to Earth is my favorite movie. I blind-bought it because I love Bowie to an unhealthy degree, and someone was selling it on SA Mart for $40. I completely understand why someone would not like it, but it hits every note perfectly for me. I don't think it's possible to depict an alien living on Earth and having no loving idea what is happening better than David Bowie in that movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What gets me is how it depicts the passing of time, like that scene where it's Christmas and they're in their apartment, and they're in kind of crummy old-people makeup looking kind of sad. It's so eerie and moving in a way that it really shouldn't be. It's one of those movies that seems like it should be a big block of cheese but it's so forthright and consistent in its oddness that it develops its own idiosyncratic and vibrantly effective emotional language.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I love that Criterion packaged the novel along with the disc of Man Who Fell To Earth. The book is incredibly low-key and has that rare quality where it's so plainly written that it feels authorless and universal.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
B&N just sent out a Thanksgiving/Black Friday 30% off code. Not sure if it works with Criterion, but I don't see why not since all of the other ones have worked. It's just a generic code: BFRIDAY14

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You laugh, but someone has actually made a fake Criterion cover for the series. :shepface:
While I was setting up my Plex server I came to find that most movies ever made have a fake Criterion cover. Not necessarily a bad thing, just strange.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 26, 2014

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

robix smash posted:

B&N just sent out a Thanksgiving/Black Friday 30% off code. Not sure if it works with Criterion, but I don't see why not since all of the other ones have worked. It's just a generic code: BFRIDAY14
While I was setting up my Plex server I came to find that most movies ever made have a fake Criterion cover. Not necessarily a bad thing, just strange.

Oh man, if this code works, I'm gonna spend so much money on Criterions alone.

I assume what they'll do is make the code work on the sale price of Criterions. So it'd be 30% off the 20 dollars the Criterions are, making them about 14 bucks.

If it worked off the MSRP, I think it'd take each movie down to 8 bucks :shepface:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Oh man, if this code works, I'm gonna spend so much money on Criterions alone.

I assume what they'll do is make the code work on the sale price of Criterions. So it'd be 30% off the 20 dollars the Criterions are, making them about 14 bucks.

If it worked off the MSRP, I think it'd take each movie down to 8 bucks :shepface:

Even cheaper if you have a BN membership. I'm gonna have to slum it up to one this weekend.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
That B&N code only works on one item per customer.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Slate Action posted:

Wow even then if it stacks with the 50% off you could get a box set for super cheap.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

mod sassinator posted:

Wow even then if it stacks with the 50% off you could get a box set for super cheap.

Why yes, Barnes and Noble, I would like to get the Les Blank set for $44. How thoughtful of you!

e: VVV The coupon won't work on anything until tomorrow (online) or Friday (in stores).

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 26, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Just tried to use the Black Friday code and it doesn't work with the Criterions.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

VoodooXT posted:

Just tried to use the Black Friday code and it doesn't work with the Criterions.

It's only valid on Thanksgiving and Black Friday though right?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

It's only valid on Thanksgiving and Black Friday though right?

d'oh, you're right. :downs:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ride the Pink Horse is one of my favorite noirs

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

mod sassinator posted:

Oh drat it's coming back? I need to dump my copy then. Was a blind buy, watched it once, never again. It's. Just. So. Freaking. Slow. Even. For. A. Person. That. Likes. Slow. Movies.

I think what kills it isn't the slow pace, but a lack of momentum by the end. The propulsion for the film initially is the mystery of Mr. Newton and a desire to see him accomplish his goal. As soon as the rocket attempt fails, the mystery is solved and the conflict is nullified. Afterwards, we're left with directionless film whose only reason for going on is sheer force of will. Meanwhile neither Bowie or his character are powerful enough to carry the film by themselves. It ends up feeling like a denouement that takes up half the film.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Slate Action posted:

One item per mailing address if you use it online too. I guess if you wanted to make multiple accounts and ship stuff to a friend you could. Not sure if it would flag the same card or not.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Anybody either check out or pick up the "Criterion Designs" book? It sure looks interesting from the previews, but the price is a bit much to blind buy.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

zandert33 posted:

Anybody either check out or pick up the "Criterion Designs" book? It sure looks interesting from the previews, but the price is a bit much to blind buy.

$60 from Amazon isn't too bad.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

zandert33 posted:

Criterion posted this video. http://vimeo.com/112856830 The book looks really cool, but also seems like the kind of thing I would flip through once without reading any of the copy and then never look at again. Even with the 30% off code, it's still too steep a price (~$50).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That's the exact kind of book where I take it to the Starbucks at Barnes and Noble and read the whole thing and then put it back on the shelf (see also: anything by Taschen).

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FYI, code is live and appears to work for Criterion DVDs

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Thanks for the heads up, I can't not buy Eraserhead for 23 CAD total.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for the heads up. Ended up getting the Les Blank set.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

zandert33 posted:

FYI, code is live and appears to work for Criterion DVDs

Oh drat, thanks!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, the Blank set is probably the best bet to use the code on - it averages out to about 3 bucks per film.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

UGH I placed my last order which included a boxset (Pasolini trilogy) because for some reason I thought the sale was ending last weekend but I didn't want to waste a coupon so I just ordered a couple more... that makes 10 this sale :negative: Not another boxset though because THIS MUST ALL END

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
The code doesn't work for pre-orders, sadly. I was hoping to grab Sword of Doom with the discount so I didn't have to wait until June to get it.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
edit: deleted in case the person I'm getting this for sees it.

Dr.Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 27, 2014

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
e: wrong thread.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 27, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just watched Mon Oncle. What an utterly charming movie. Between this and Playtime, there seems to be this running theme of near-dystopian modernism through Tati's works, as if there is this inevitable force that will ultimately swallow up the wonder in life. That brief scene near the end where (super minor Mon Oncle spoilers, but better safe than sorry) where the construction crew was knocking down that old building as they are driving away from Hulot's village into the ultra modern...travel station of some vague nature kinda got to me. There's even some of this in The Illusionist, but it's not as blatantly obvious as those two movies. Do the rest of his movies have that undercurrent of impending cold, clinical modernization?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It increased as he got older - I remember Trafic as being particularly brutal in its depiction of modern life, and Tati's last planned film would have had Hulot electrocuted live on a talk show (or something like that, I can't remember exactly).

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

gently caress, with the 50% off and the BN.com code, I can't decide which Criterion to get as my first one. Anyone have any recs? Out of films that are Criterion ones, I've watched In The Mood For Love, Hausu, Beauty and the Beast, Francis Ha, and Blue is the Warmest Color (all on streaming). Not sure if I should get one I haven't seen before, or one I have.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Akarshi posted:

gently caress, with the 50% off and the BN.com code, I can't decide which Criterion to get as my first one. Anyone have any recs? Out of films that are Criterion ones, I've watched In The Mood For Love, Hausu, Beauty and the Beast, Francis Ha, and Blue is the Warmest Color (all on streaming). Not sure if I should get one I haven't seen before, or one I have.

Seven Samurai

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Akarshi posted:

Videodrome

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Akarshi posted:

Border Radio

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Cloks posted:

Border Radio

This is possibly the worst movie in the entire Criterion Collection.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GonSmithe posted:

Seven Samurai

Do this. It really is one of the greatest films ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

GonSmithe posted:

Seven Samurai

Raxivace posted:

Do this. It really is one of the greatest films ever made.

Listen to these guys.