Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jmcrofts posted:

My favorite little thing about this mission is the music - I think this is the first time in the game that they play this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buX9FRzYwmw

I know it plays in at least one other area: the beach during the Yakushima trip. Operation Babe Hunt is exactly as serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

In Xenoblade Chronicles the main character's weapon, the Monado, is an energy blade that can cut pretty much anything, but in an early cutscene it's revealed that it just bounces off of other people. This isn't really a problem for most of the game since your main enemies are monsters and evil robots. Midway through the game, however, there's a sequence where you're attacked by assassins. If you have the main character in your active party during this segment, all of his attacks will do 1 damage to them, and they'll bounce off the assassins as though the attack was blocked. Just like the cutscene showed, the Monado won't work on other people.

What's neat about this is that aside from the 1 damage, there's nothing during the sequence to explicitly remind you of this plot point. It's on you to remember why your attacks aren't working, and change your strategy accordingly.

Have you just now gotten very far into the game or something? Because the Monado being unable to cut people is a major plotpoint towards the endgame.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

In Xenoblade Chronicles the main character's weapon, the Monado, is an energy blade that can cut pretty much anything, but in an early cutscene it's revealed that it just bounces off of other people. This isn't really a problem for most of the game since your main enemies are monsters and evil robots. Midway through the game, however, there's a sequence where you're attacked by assassins. If you have the main character in your active party during this segment, all of his attacks will do 1 damage to them, and they'll bounce off the assassins as though the attack was blocked. Just like the cutscene showed, the Monado won't work on other people.

What's neat about this is that aside from the 1 damage, there's nothing during the sequence to explicitly remind you of this plot point. It's on you to remember why your attacks aren't working, and change your strategy accordingly.

One of the best lines of the game is right there, too:

"We ordered room service an hour ago."

:swoon: Dundun

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Xoidanor posted:

Have you just now gotten very far into the game or something? Because the Monado being unable to cut people is a major plotpoint towards the endgame.
Well yeah, but you're not going to know what's in your spoiler at the point I mentioned. Besides, the plot point isn't the neat part, it's the way the game handles it in gameplay.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I haven't played it but apparently in Far Cry 4 the Pagan Man or whatever eurotrash of the hour is called asks you to sit for an hour, where you're expected to get up and start the game. You can choose to wait at which point an hour later he comes back, apologizes for the misunderstanding and sends you on your way

If that's true, it's awesome. I love that kind of thing in games; Shadow Complex had it too.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Anatharon posted:

I haven't played it but apparently in Far Cry 4 the Pagan Man or whatever eurotrash of the hour is called asks you to sit for an hour, where you're expected to get up and start the game. You can choose to wait at which point an hour later he comes back, apologizes for the misunderstanding and sends you on your way

If that's true, it's awesome. I love that kind of thing in games; Shadow Complex had it too.

It's closer to about 15 minutes, plus also spoils the entire rest of the game really quickly. It's pretty great.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
It's a really nice touch that they put the extra work into something that people would probably never find on their own.

If you have no interest in actually playing the game yourself, you can watch the ending here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnCed-hb53E

Spoilers, of course.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Well you are just doing what he asked you to after all. It's rude to leave before dinner is done or you're excused.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Portal 2 has multiple achievements for following various NPC instructions that are very obviously leading you to your death.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

moosecow333 posted:

It's a really nice touch that they put the extra work into something that people would probably never find on their own.

If you have no interest in actually playing the game yourself, you can watch the ending here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnCed-hb53E

Spoilers, of course.

Never underestimate the players when it comes to waiting for things. In the MMO The Secret World there is a mission that puts you on a train with a bomb on it bound for Cairo. It's supposed to take like 13 hours before it hits Cairo and explodes killing everyone. So of course an attention seeking player live streamed standing on this train for 13 hours. Absolutely nothing scripted happens but the girl made such a spectacle of it leading up to the day she streamed it the head game dev teleported her to the zone that was "coming soon" (it didn't actually come out until a year later it got very delayed because code is hard) and let her stream walking around this empty zone.

The part of it I've always found hilarious was that this happened during a time when players literally couldn't play the game because Funcom broke it for people using AMD processors with Nvidia graphics cards. The head dev had the time to teleport her to unfinished zones but not comment on his game being broken. Instead he mocked players for being unable to play.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

There's also that bit in The Stanley Parable which takes literally 4 hours.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Taeke posted:

That one star in Braid that takes two.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Taeke posted:

It's not enough to just mention it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7GAtSIy4-w

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Little thing in Fallout: New Vegas: There's a little side-plot that went on with a super mutant and player companion Raul before he was rescued from Black Mountain in the form of a few notes around the camp. It tells the story of why Raul is imprisoned there, most importantly that he's good at fixing poo poo. Super mutants are kind of dumb, and this one in particular (named Cuddles for his ability to cuddle things to death) wanted Raul to fix a toy car of his to run like an actual car. After Raul explained this was not possible and that the super mutant is kinda dumb, it tried to kill him, but the most important thing is that the toy car itself is sitting next to the notes. If you don't read the notes it just says it's a normal toy car, but AFTER you read the notes it becomes labeled as 'Cuddles' Toy Car'.

And it's like, they didn't have to do that because there's totally no point, and yet they still did.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The Far Cry 4 video reminded me of the alternate ending of the Dreamcast game 'Headhunter', where, at a certain point in the game, you can say 'you know what, screw this' and return to the screen where you start the game to just leave without your girlfriend. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the video. Can anyone help?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The Saboteur had an alternate ending as well. I know during the first race you can blow up the car that the Nazi who kills your brother is driving. Unfortunately it just instantly goes to credits so nothing amusing happens.

FredMSloniker posted:

The Far Cry 4 video reminded me of the alternate ending of the Dreamcast game 'Headhunter', where, at a certain point in the game, you can say 'you know what, screw this' and return to the screen where you start the game to just leave without your girlfriend. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the video. Can anyone help?

I know this was basically an ending for Shadow Complex. Instead of saving your girlfriend you could just get back in the jeep and leave. I think the achievement for doing so was called "F Y I I'm Single."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Then there's the classic "Mario decides not to save the world and instead goes back to bed". Wish more games had that just as a comedy option.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
...that reminds me of another thing. I recently bought Wario Land 2 and 3 on the virtual console. Goddamn both of those games are still amazing and hold up perfectly. Anyways speaking of saying in bed there is the comedy option of not getting out of bed in Wario Land 2 which actually leads to a secret/side chapter.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Tracula posted:

I know this was basically an ending for Shadow Complex. Instead of saving your girlfriend you could just get back in the jeep and leave. I think the achievement for doing so was called "F Y I I'm Single."

That was the one I was thinking of. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fojskO4jpDg

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CJacobs posted:

Little thing in Fallout: New Vegas: There's a little side-plot that went on with a super mutant and player companion Raul before he was rescued from Black Mountain in the form of a few notes around the camp. It tells the story of why Raul is imprisoned there, most importantly that he's good at fixing poo poo. Super mutants are kind of dumb, and this one in particular (named Cuddles for his ability to cuddle things to death) wanted Raul to fix a toy car of his to run like an actual car. After Raul explained this was not possible and that the super mutant is kinda dumb, it tried to kill him, but the most important thing is that the toy car itself is sitting next to the notes. If you don't read the notes it just says it's a normal toy car, but AFTER you read the notes it becomes labeled as 'Cuddles' Toy Car'.

And it's like, they didn't have to do that because there's totally no point, and yet they still did.
If I remember right the journal just mentions Cuddles wanting Raul to fix the car, with no mention of why he can't fix it. Then you exit out of the journal and see the toy car as the punchline. I love Black Mountain :allears:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Then there's the classic "Mario decides not to save the world and instead goes back to bed". Wish more games had that just as a comedy option.

My favourite one of those in recent years is in Stick of Truth

Near the end of the game You're supposed to use your ability to shrink to defuse a nuke stuck up Mr.Slave's rear end. However, if you say " gently caress it" and just walk out the door instead you get an extremely short cut scene of a nuke destroying South Park and the show credits/end theme kick in.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

My favourite one of those in recent years is in Stick of Truth

Near the end of the game You're supposed to use your ability to shrink to defuse a nuke stuck up Mr.Slave's rear end. However, if you say " gently caress it" and just walk out the door instead you get an extremely short cut scene of a nuke destroying South Park and the show credits/end theme kick in.

Does everyone learn a "valuable" lesson right before that ending in true South Park fashion?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just got killed by something in Destiny that hit me so hard I rocketed across the ground at lightning speed, what killed me wasn't impact from the enemy itself, but rather me smashing into a wall at said lightning speed.

The game attributed my death to the architects instead of the enemy that hit me.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Alteisen posted:

I just got killed by something in Destiny that hit me so hard I rocketed across the ground at lightning speed, what killed me wasn't impact from the enemy itself, but rather me smashing into a wall at said lightning speed.

The game attributed my death to the architects instead of the enemy that hit me.

That's loving brilliant. I think in the older Halo games if it had no idea how it killed you it would say "Killed by the Architects"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Halo games used "killed by the guardians" but that had to change in Destiny for obvious reasons.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Ah yeah, that was it in the older games. Close enough, same idea though.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Tracula posted:

Shadow complex is a great game, best Metroidvania in years.

My favourite bit is when you encounter the creepy doctor, and he starts boasting about how your hero won't be able to kill him. And half-way through that sentence, your guy shoots him and gets on with things. You've killed dozens on your way to him, after all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CJacobs posted:

I understand the complaints about Super Paper Mario, but I genuinely just couldn't hate that game when I started playing it with a friend and he tripped that ending entirely because he thought it was funny that he was allowed to keep saying no.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell, it's better than Pokemon, where it gives you the option to refuse stuff like the Pokedex even though all that does is agitate the Professor Of The Week and basically make him go "loving take it" and shove it into your hands. I never understood the point of allowing you to say no if it just repeats until you say yes.

Bonto
Aug 8, 2007

Honey!?

Anatharon posted:

Haven't played it either - but the developer just recently revealed that there's ANOTHER secret ending - During one of the endings, said "Pagan man" flies off in a helicopter, and if you're quick enough, you can shoot it down with an RPG and loot his corpse.

Pretty cool they allow you to do this.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

haveblue posted:

Portal 2 has multiple achievements for following various NPC instructions that are very obviously leading you to your death.

It also has that one achievement that runs the joke it references into the ground, as it's the fourth time the thing is mentioned in rapid succession. (For anyone that doesn't know, it's THE PART WHERE HE KILLS YOU (achievement description: This is that part.) Ok, yeah it was funny as hell the first time through, which I suspect was the point. Edit: Apparently the song in that part has the same name as the achievement as well, so that's five.

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 10:08 on Nov 26, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Elfface posted:

Shadow complex is a great game, best Metroidvania in years.

My favourite bit is when you encounter the creepy doctor, and he starts boasting about how your hero won't be able to kill him. And half-way through that sentence, your guy shoots him and gets on with things. You've killed dozens on your way to him, after all.

No matter how many games do this it is never not funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MZIU_feIk&t=27s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mniKzD-hoM&t=797s

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
The Bards Tale (2004) had a similar ending. If I recall, you get three choices, which were kill the last boss and be good or evil, or you can gently caress off to a bar and let him rule the world in darkness and you would just party with his minions. A funny moment in a completely underwhelming game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

...of SCIENCE! posted:

No matter how many games do this it is never not funny.

Arkham Origins had one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJc7SQLxteE

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, the sound direction in Alien: Isolation is incredible all around, but the Alien's foot steps really stand out. They have a fantastic sense of weight - just a foreboding thud thud thud thud thud that instantly reminds you that thing is loving huge and more than capable of ripping you to pieces in seconds. It's not just simple atmosphere either as depending on its pace you can tell how alert it is, where it's headed, whether or not you're about to get a tail blade up your arse, etc etc.

I'm fairly sure a flat polygon would be just as horrifying under those circumstances. :haw:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, the sound direction in Alien: Isolation is incredible all around, but the Alien's foot steps really stand out. They have a fantastic sense of weight - just a foreboding thud thud thud thud thud that instantly reminds you that thing is loving huge and more than capable of ripping you to pieces in seconds. It's not just simple atmosphere either as depending on its pace you can tell how alert it is, where it's headed, whether or not you're about to get a tail blade up your arse, etc etc.

I'm fairly sure a flat polygon would be just as horrifying under those circumstances. :haw:

Say what you will about Battlefield 3, but holy poo poo, was the sound perfect. I suck horribly at it, but I'd just play for the wonderfully-done audio, it really was that good.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

poptart_fairy posted:

I was watching an LP of it yesterday, and was thinking that the sound/art direction is quite great, it feels like Alien.

What takes the cake for me is the noise that androids make when you stun rod them. Ew.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (and Omega Ruby) using the Eon Flute. Using it pretty much puts you in FF airship mode and you can fly around into Pokemon and poo poo from other games. Good stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Speaking of good sound effects I had a solid moment in Xcom the other day. I shot a rocket at a guy and it didn't die. In real life I looked at my friend and went "bad things are happening" and then in game my soldier said "that's not good."

He made it home safe and sound though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Streets of Rage 1, I can't recall if you could always do this, or just if you were doing two player, but the final boss asks you to join him. And you can. If one of the players refuses to join, you are forced to fight each other.

Cue 8 year old me getting really mad at my dad for betraying and defeating me the first time we played it together.