Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

krushgroove posted:

Lots of goons signed up to do driver & team bios: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18BeDKUTb0dRKDdVdtUo349RIq1so7ancp1kE9WpHpRU/edit?usp=sharing

We have enough right now to do the 9 existing teams, if Caterham & Marussia are in next year we will probably need more goons or some goons will be asked to double up.

If you guys actually want track bios then more goons will need to sign up, or some of you guys & gals will need to double up. If you only want to do one type of bio (e.g., you don't want to do a driver but want to do a team), post itt or PM me or something.
I eagerly look forward to drawing Max Chilton and Bahrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Why isn't the testing being covered on Sky anyway?

Because Burnie hasn't sold them the rights to it I guess.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
In snooker, the crowd can get earpieces so they can listen to the TV commentary while they watch. I'm sure F1 can come up with a similar thing. Google Glasses to view timing screens perhaps?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The best they could come up with is some lovely LEDs. Just buy a screen.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Xisticide posted:

This is Antony Hamilton's "invention" right?

Edit: yes it is and it looks like poo poo:

What is that supposed to display? It looks to be about the size of a tablet. What useful information will be displayed on such a thing, that cannot be better transmitted by some on-screen graphic? Or as someone said above, by just knowing driver helmets and the tyres? There aren't that many drivers, and there are only 6 different types of tyres, of which two you see very rarely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, I can do a track maybe.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
It's meant for positioning info mainly I think. So you can tell what position the car you are looking at is currently in.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Sky sports is reporting that the all conquering McLaren Honda has completed an eye watering 2 laps today.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

What is that supposed to display?

I'm fairly sure its currently displaying what it is supposed to display. Can't you make out all that info

quote:

Hamilton is also developing a version for DTM (German touring cars), Indy Cars, Nascar, karting and motor bikes.

...Just a man from stevenage, who's family slept on couch, with a dumb idea.. and the hard work it took to make it happen.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 26, 2014

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

HJB posted:

In snooker, the crowd can get earpieces so they can listen to the TV commentary while they watch. I'm sure F1 can come up with a similar thing. Google Glasses to view timing screens perhaps?

Members of the crowd used to be able to rent a miniature TV with headphones showing the FIA feed, onboards, commentary and live data, but the company who did it didn't want to pay Bernie enough to keep doing it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

Sky sports is reporting that the all conquering McLaren Honda has completed an eye watering 2 laps today.

Remember how we were all crowing about Red Bull's terrible reliability in testing, and then they won 3 races and placed second in the championship?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

Remember how we were all crowing about Red Bull's terrible reliability in testing, and then they won 3 races and placed second in the championship?

They also completed 11 laps in the first two days of testing.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Tsaedje posted:

Mclaren is gonna get caught cheating again?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

HJB posted:

I'm fairly sure you can already do that at Silverstone, they have their own radio station

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can download the F1 app and get live FIA commentary. You can also set it up to only hear team radio messages. I was able to watch the race from the side of the track and also hear any broadcasted radio messages.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Tsaedje posted:

Yeah but RB were probably cheating all year, plus had Are Dan/ADR

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

krushgroove posted:

If you guys actually want track bios then more goons will need to sign up, or some of you guys & gals will need to double up. If you only want to do one type of bio (e.g., you don't want to do a driver but want to do a team), post itt or PM me or something.

Just a driver bio for me.

Hamilton's display thing is supposed to indicate track position I think, which isn't that bad an idea by itself, but I thought it was going to be some kind of OLED on the rear wing endplates or something, not an obviously cobbled-on extra piece that looks exactly, as was pointed out already, like a giant 2 digit calculator.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

What is that supposed to display? It looks to be about the size of a tablet. What useful information will be displayed on such a thing, that cannot be better transmitted by some on-screen graphic? Or as someone said above, by just knowing driver helmets and the tyres? There aren't that many drivers, and there are only 6 different types of tyres, of which two you see very rarely.

It's copying the panels that have been used in sportscar racing for several years now that let you know what position the car is in.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Vergne has now officially split with Torro Rosso: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116949

It's interesting how different his and Ricciardo's careers have turned out since 2013, considering how close they were back then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

drgitlin posted:

It's copying the panels that have been used in sportscar racing for several years now that let you know what position the car is in.

This seems like much less of an issue in modern F1, where track order pretty much mirrors the running order.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

RALF posted:

Vergne has now officially split with Torro Rosso: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116949

It's interesting how different his and Ricciardo's careers have turned out since 2013, considering how close they were back then.

RB always takes the fastest qualifiers, which isn't suprising seeing how their top speed and overtaking is limited. Vergne isn't a good qualifier, although he deserves a seat somewhere still, as he's a fairly good racer.
If not for the last race, I'd be saying for the love of god, get rid of Massa and put Button or Vergne in that Williams. Though it's still a good idea, I can't see Williams terminating Massa's contract as it is.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 26, 2014

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Alain Post posted:

This seems like much less of an issue in modern F1, where track order pretty much mirrors the running order.
And where there's only one race going on at once, not different series

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Alain Post posted:

This is just a precursor to Jean Todt's Super GP2 dual-class F1 budget Red Bull-promoter-run travesty on the horizon.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

do you know what testing is for?

i'll give you a hint:

it's testing

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah it's not great, but there are a lot of bugs that have to be sorted out with a new engine/battery hybrid system to fit into a car previously designed for a completely different system. Could have gone better but it's a shakedown run.

Are the teams allowed to have a 'rolling road' setup at their factories, to simulate bumps and things with the engine running and wheels turning? Or does that even exist? Are they allowed a car dyno like some tuning & performance shops have?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

i'll give you a hint:

it's testing

Still, I'm not expecting this engine to set the world on fire. Maybe it will set the car on fire.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Honda should shoehorn the engine into one of the Super Formula cars and let one of their Japanese drivers have a crack at it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I do know back in the day Williams built a chassis solely for Nakajima to drive in Japan, I think testing should be allowed if the driver in question does not participate in any GPs.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

Still, I'm not expecting this engine to set the world on fire. Maybe it will set the car on fire.

Well it is a Honda engine

pretend I posted a youtube compilation of BAR engines exploding like every race in 2003-5

E: this'll do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vphJVgjYPI

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A shame too because in power terms they were probably class of the field.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

i'll give you a hint:

it's testing

Doing few laps is bad for testing, since you don't do enough to gather data. Obviously, you're gonna have breakdowns or other difficulties, but unless you're specifically testing for "How does the <thing> react to the car only doing very few laps?", it's not good.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

krushgroove posted:

Yeah it's not great, but there are a lot of bugs that have to be sorted out with a new engine/battery hybrid system to fit into a car previously designed for a completely different system. Could have gone better but it's a shakedown run.

Are the teams allowed to have a 'rolling road' setup at their factories, to simulate bumps and things with the engine running and wheels turning? Or does that even exist? Are they allowed a car dyno like some tuning & performance shops have?

I believe they have some sort of testing rig the engine and hybrid stuff is bolted into that can simulate bumps and stuff like that. Dont know the exact rules but I do believe the teams are barred from performing rolling road tests and stuff like that.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I thought have haven't done much running because they're having problems with their car's data. Not much point running a car around and getting inaccurate information.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Skarsnik posted:

And where there's only one race going on at once, not different series

And increasingly fewer cars on track as teams drop like flies.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

I thought have haven't done much running because they're having problems with their car's data. Not much point running a car around and getting inaccurate information.

That never stopped Ferrari when they couldn't correlate wind tunnel data in 2012.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1500quidporsche posted:

Renault were doing that in March and still won 3 races, 2 laps in a test hack in November isn't good but it doesn't mean a lot.

1500quidporsche posted:

They also completed 11 laps in the first two days of testing.

Those 2 days were months later though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Doing few laps is bad for testing, since you don't do enough to gather data. Obviously, you're gonna have breakdowns or other difficulties, but unless you're specifically testing for "How does the <thing> react to the car only doing very few laps?", it's not good.

lots of things can be tested that don't require the car to be in motion

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Dudley posted:

Renault were doing that in March and still won 3 races, 2 laps in a test hack in November isn't good but it doesn't mean a lot.

Those 2 days were months later though.

Not saying they're doomed but its not a good sign either. Red bull won those 3 races off the strength of their chassis and aero and despite the testing setbacks.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Sashimi posted:

This year's McLaren was bad, but at least it was consistently finishing in the points.

Well, Jenson's was.

krushgroove posted:

Lots of goons signed up to do driver & team bios: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18BeDKUTb0dRKDdVdtUo349RIq1so7ancp1kE9WpHpRU/edit?usp=sharing

We have enough right now to do the 9 existing teams, if Caterham & Marussia are in next year we will probably need more goons or some goons will be asked to double up.

I'm down for doing a bio for a driver/team/track/anything. Except Bernie. gently caress Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Have to go with Rosberg. Came into this season expecting Hamilton to mushroom stamp him but he somehow got under his skin and kept in it until the last race.

Races for me where Rosberg did better than Hamilton based on merit:

Austria
Germany
Brazil

Everything else he either got beaten, or Hamilton had reliability problems, or he got lucky (Monaco). It really was the reliability difference (Abu Dhabi bought them even on race reliability, but Lewis still had 2x qualifying car failures that put him way down the grid) that made the season close. And without double points, Hamilton would have only needed to finish 6th or higher in the last race. In a car that is so dominant that there really is no excuse for not coming at least 2nd to your teammate, it's not that impressive that the WDC came down to the last race.

Lets look at some stats-

Pole to win conversion rate (excluding reliability, they're one a-piece on that):
Rosberg: 33%
Hamilton: 100%

Wheel to wheel racing:
Rosberg: 0%
Hamilton: 100%

Luck/Cheating
Rosberg: 100%
Hamilton: 0%

Number of dogs:
Rosberg: Who gives a poo poo? None probably.
Hamilton: 2 awesome ones.

I'm only being semi-facetious here. Rosberg did not impress me on track this year. Alonso, Bottas, Button, Ricciardo and poo poo, probably Massa all could have done better in that car.

Go back and watch Hungary. Watch Rosberg turn a 10 second lead into a 4th place by virtue of being utterly unable to overtake when needed. Hamilton didn't exactly have a great race either but still managed to finish ahead of Rosberg on track, and it's entirely down to Hamilton's round-the-outside overtaking move on Vergne that Rosberg couldn't/wouldn't have attempted. That's why he lost the WDC.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 26, 2014

• Locked thread