Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

My IT department generates revenue by reselling or internal services to other departments inside the company. :shrug:
and now you compete with other outside entities. I hope your service is better/faster/cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

adorai posted:

and now you compete with other outside entities. I hope your service is better/faster/cheaper.

You're right and it's terrible.

Luckily I'm not in that part of IT.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So what's everybody's work load on pre-t-day?

I don't even know why I came in today. Should have "worked from home". At least traffic wasn't bad.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Putting new policies into production and slowly chiseling away at my project to unfuck the monstrosity that is our development network.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I don't even know why I came in today. Should have "worked from home". At least traffic wasn't bad.
I've been working for the last 22 hours. I will continue to work for the next four hours and then I will turn my phone off until Monday.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I am ignoring problems and customer contact as hard as possible until noon.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

This is the last day of the month, so everyone's flipping out about metrics and pushing code to production. Boss has said we will NOT be working over the holiday. Four day weekend, yall. :dance:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I took the day off so I could spend it doing some job searching. Leadership decided to announce a couple weeks ago that weekend shift will be combined into a single shift covering 8pm-8am starting a week from Saturday. Normally not worth looking for a new job, but leadership also decided that we would then switch shifts every 3 months with our counterparts at another base. It's going to gently caress me up sleep-wise since it takes a couple months for my body to adjust, and just when it does I'll be switching back - permanent jet-lag. I'll be on my 5th or 6th shift change (which was directed by leadership, and not voluntary) in 8 months, and frankly it's no longer something I'm willing to put up with. Time to get the hell out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Moving 14 people to random empty desks throughout the building so that the furniture installers can get work done next week.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I have to set up a couple of new hires, because someone thought the day after Thanksgiving weekend would be the best day to bring in some users.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sitting at my desk pretending to care about everyone's urgent issues while I wait for my background check to finish for my new job.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Patiently waiting for my new HTPC PC Parts, they'll be at work soon. :haw:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 26, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I took the day off so I could spend it doing some job searching. Leadership decided to announce a couple weeks ago that weekend shift will be combined into a single shift covering 8pm-8am starting a week from Saturday. Normally not worth looking for a new job, but leadership also decided that we would then switch shifts every 3 months with our counterparts at another base. It's going to gently caress me up sleep-wise since it takes a couple months for my body to adjust, and just when it does I'll be switching back - permanent jet-lag. I'll be on my 5th or 6th shift change (which was directed by leadership, and not voluntary) in 8 months, and frankly it's no longer something I'm willing to put up with. Time to get the hell out.

gently caress that, dude. This is why I also wanted to GTFO of that type of work (military contractor).

Sacred Cow posted:

Sitting at my desk pretending to care about everyone's urgent issues while I wait for my background check to finish for my new job.

Hell yeah. Movin on up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ElGroucho posted:

I have to set up a couple of new hires, because someone thought the day after Thanksgiving weekend would be the best day to bring in some users.

I have 12, count 'em, 12 new users Monday and I'm the only guy who sets anyone up.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Whoa, just got an email from the online Stanly vSphere 5.5 course. Almost forgot I was on that waiting list. Classes starts in january. Cool.

Anybody here participate in that class?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I'm lining up everything I need to lay off our junior sys-admin on Monday, first thing :smith:
Was told 10 days ago, I opted to do it after Thanksgiving. Guy is not going to see it coming, and while I don't expect him to go apeshit, he's got all the keys to the kingdom... as such, Monday will involve updating passwords everywhere.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Whoa, just got an email from the online Stanly vSphere 5.5 course. Almost forgot I was on that waiting list. Classes starts in january. Cool.

Anybody here participate in that class?

Are you sure it's 5.5? I just took the course this semester and I thought it was 5.1? Or at least that's what the VMware course books said...

It's not bad but a little rough around the edges. The remote labs are neat just be careful as all the labs build upon each other. If you miss something in lab 3 and something doesn't work in lab 5 and you cant figure out why you're going to have to backtrack which can be painful. I think the instructions aren't exactly consistent either, it'll say at certain points to login into xyz server with password or a few labs down the road with password123...

At one point I assigned the wrong lun to a VMFS, had to carefully move everything off (VMs, VM templates) then rebuild it.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Just completely blew a phone screen that I wasn't prepared for. :toot: I'm too honest for my own good sometimes.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Alfajor posted:

I'm lining up everything I need to lay off our junior sys-admin on Monday, first thing :smith:
Was told 10 days ago, I opted to do it after Thanksgiving. Guy is not going to see it coming, and while I don't expect him to go apeshit, he's got all the keys to the kingdom... as such, Monday will involve updating passwords everywhere.

What did he do? Or is this just belt-tightening BS?

I came into the office, reviewed my 401k witholding options (moved it up to 8+4% match because when I elected a year ago I thought 6+3 was the max, whoops), chatted with one of my offshore guys who is getting married next week, and then decided to "work" from home since the weather is wretched and I live 5 minutes away.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I dunno what "pre-t-day" is but today I am working on Powershell scripts! It's a pretty rad language.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Never mind

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 26, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tab8715 posted:

Are you sure it's 5.5? I just took the course this semester and I thought it was 5.1? Or at least that's what the VMware course books said...

It's not bad but a little rough around the edges. The remote labs are neat just be careful as all the labs build upon each other. If you miss something in lab 3 and something doesn't work in lab 5 and you cant figure out why you're going to have to backtrack which can be painful. I think the instructions aren't exactly consistent either, it'll say at certain points to login into xyz server with password or a few labs down the road with password123...

At one point I assigned the wrong lun to a VMFS, had to carefully move everything off (VMs, VM templates) then rebuild it.

Yeah it's definitely 5.5

Do you feel like the class prepared you for the exam? Did you do any particular studying on the side?

mewse
May 2, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I dunno what "pre-t-day" is but today I am working on Powershell scripts! It's a pretty rad language.

It's thanksgiving in America soon

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

"worked from home"

:whatup: Doing that, and handling misc chores that have no chance of breaking production. Adding or fixing monitoring for things that have been bugging me. Cleaning up documentation

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Working from home crew represent. My plan supposed to be finishing up some database changes I was working on yesterday and writing up a spec for some new functionality in one of our tools. Instead I spent the last hour fixing a bunch of servers in our nonprod environment that some chucklefuck broke.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
One (out of two) of the other guys I work closely with has a meeting from 1-2. I'm just chillin here until his meeting is over.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is it just me or are all USB Flash Drives not created equally?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Had to drive out of town, but it was a simple "Confirm this is busted" job, and I enjoy driving in the snow. :3:

Tab8715 posted:

Is it just me or are all USB Flash Drives not created equally?

Well, no, not any more than all hard drives are created equally.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Today and Friday are paid holidays, 5 day weekend-- hell yes. Christmas time is even better, I think I get nearly two weeks off, and I only have to use one vacation day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
In I get a lot of "day afters" off for these upcoming holidays (plus the holiday themselves) but I'm also on call on New Years Eve, which might suck.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah it's definitely 5.5

Do you feel like the class prepared you for the exam? Did you do any particular studying on the side?

To me the class felt like a rubber stamp, I learned virtually nothing, and while I haven't taken the test yet, the studying I Have done shows me that the class tought me basically nothing.

Fine with me because I took the class to get the rubber stamp, but if you really want to be taught the material I don't think it's going to be what you're looking for.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

To me the class felt like a rubber stamp, I learned virtually nothing, and while I haven't taken the test yet, the studying I Have done shows me that the class tought me basically nothing.

Fine with me because I took the class to get the rubber stamp, but if you really want to be taught the material I don't think it's going to be what you're looking for.

Basically this. Also dont but the book that they recommend. Go with the Scott Lowe book instead if you want to eventually sit for the exam.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

No pre-sales today, no post sales today, so I'm sitting at home playing Far Cry 4 and getting an early start on my long weekend.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Today is catch up on documentation day :suicide:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

NippleFloss posted:

No pre-sales today, no post sales today, so I'm sitting at home playing Far Cry 4 and getting an early start on my long weekend.

I was just goofing off till our eastern european developers started filling up their build server. Now I have to figure out a way to clear space or plan to upgrade storage later. Boo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah it's definitely 5.5

Where do you see it's 5.5? I feel cheated :smith:

As another poster said it's a little rubber-stampish but going through the labs it was okay. You will without a doubt have to study on your own time because there's no way you're going to remember everything just by going through it once. There a few things the instructor doesn't exactly go into much detail on but this is becoming a little nitpicky. VMware does recommend you have some prior experience too.

On another note, two of my co-workers shelled out 3.5k for an official VCP physical 1-week classroom halfway across the country and felt that it was good but in no way prepared them for exam or real-world scenarios. YMMV.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mewse posted:

It's thanksgiving in America soon

Ahhh, hope you guys actually get a holiday and don't have to be on call :(

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

On another note, two of my co-workers shelled out 3.5k for an official VCP physical 1-week classroom halfway across the country and felt that it was good but in no way prepared them for exam or real-world scenarios. YMMV.

None of the courses that will qualify you for the exam will prepare you for the exam. They all follow the same blueprint.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

FISHMANPET posted:

That's cool. I've been studying for it and working in my own labs a bit here and there, will definitely ramp it up now. I'm basically doing it for the rubber stamp too just so I can take the exam.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Basically this. Also dont but the book that they recommend. Go with the Scott Lowe book instead if you want to eventually sit for the exam.

Assuming you mean this one? http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-VMware-vSphere-Scott-Lowe/dp/1118661141

Tab8715 posted:

Where do you see it's 5.5? I feel cheated :smith:

As another poster said it's a little rubber-stampish but going through the labs it was okay. You will without a doubt have to study on your own time because there's no way you're going to remember everything just by going through it once. There a few things the instructor doesn't exactly go into much detail on but this is becoming a little nitpicky. VMware does recommend you have some prior experience too.

That's a bummer man. I got on the waiting list for this one back in May/June almost. I have a friend who paid the 3500, but I didn't feel like doing that. I guess the waiting paid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Cool, Bamboo has a bug that they fixed in version 5.7 where deployed artifacts don't actually get removed when the expired artifacts cleanup runs. That explains why the drat server has 100GB+ of old garbage that keeps growing. Now if only the server can go till after the holiday without filling up.