Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

Watching Deadwood for the first time. I expect to find out whether Timothy Olyphant can actually act.

He's the weakest person on the show but eh you know, he's OK at acting like Timothy Olyphant.

That role he had on The League showed more acting range than he has in like five seasons of Justified and Deadwood combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Watching Deadwood for the first time. I expect to find out whether Timothy Olyphant can actually act.

You don't watch Deadwood for Timothy Olyphant. You watch Deadwood for Ian McShane.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I watched deadwood for wild bill more than anyone else. you know the sound of thunder, don't you?

http://youtu.be/kmYdYti-obg

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
There are so many good reasons to watch Deadwood that it's hard to narrow down the list. From Swearengen to Hearst to Calamity Jane to the Invisible San Francisco Cocksucker. They're all incredible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

See also: everyone in the UK, forever and always. You thought the kids in Malcolm in the Middle had high pitched voices? You think the guys in Big Bang Theory talk quickly? Come over here and be prepared to never be able to watch those shows as they're broadcast.

This has bothered me for years, especially because my parents never ever noticed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Clearly the solution is for everyone to have 600hz TVs.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

xeria posted:

As luck would have it, the first season of The Fall is on Netflix and should be watched~

It's only five episodes~

I don't know...I generally don't have time for procedurals and especially ones that focus on women getting murdered and raped.

Especially when people describe it like this...

quote:

David Wilson, a professor of criminology at the Birmingham City University, has described the hit BBC2 series as an "extended rape fantasy".

He has accused programme makers of glamorising "extreme, even lethal, violence against women".

Writing in a daily newspaper, Prof Wilson said the programme was "brutal misogyny turned into entertainment" and "murderous cruelty elevated into pleasurable viewing".

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...r-30771016.html

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's how I felt about Apartment 23.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

Clearly the solution is for everyone to have 600hz TVs.

No, the solution is for England not to be arbitrarily different from the rest of the world. See also: driving on the wrong side of the road and not adopting the Euro.

Aphrodite posted:

That's how I felt about Apartment 23.

Paris had it coming :colbert:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Irish Joe posted:

No, the solution is for England not to be arbitrarily different from the rest of the world. See also: driving on the wrong side of the road and not adopting the Euro.

Also consistently misspelling words like color, favor and honor

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Eh, not adopting the eurp might have been a good move the way the shakier economies of the EU are doing.

Also TV! Gotham has kind of warmed up for me. It's still bad, don't get me wrong, but it's kind of found its groove.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Eh, not adopting the euro might have been a good move the way the shakier economies of the EU are doing.

That's more the EU's fault for letting countries that practice Mediterranean Accounting onto the team. A brilliant philosopher makes for a terrible accountant.

edit: fun fact, Socrates was arrested for tax fraud

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

What kind of rear end in a top hat network takes something shot in 24fps and just plays it at 25fps without any adjustments? FX Canada, that's who.

Speeding up content to cram in more advertising is distressingly common on TV now. If you watch a movie they'll fast-forward the opening credits, play the movie with the playback speed up a notch, and blaze through the ending credits in like 5 seconds.

Shageletic posted:

I don't know...I generally don't have time for procedurals and especially ones that focus on women getting murdered and raped.

It's neither a procedural nor is the focus on women getting murderer and raped.

Actually you know what, you'd better not watch it, the laat thing the internet needs is another person bad at watching TV getting mad about one of the best explorations of institutional sexism this side of Top Of The Lake because it has bad things happening to women.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think Top of the Lake is really the dividing line for that.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's neither a procedural nor is the focus on women getting murderer and raped.

Actually you know what, you'd better not watch it, the laat thing the internet needs is another person bad at watching TV getting mad about one of the best explorations of institutional sexism this side of Top Of The Lake because it has bad things happening to women.

That's only half (maybe even a third?) of the show, though, the other half being a really fascinating study of psychopathy, one of the best ever seen on TV. It should really appeal to fans of Hannibal too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

smg77 posted:

You don't watch Deadwood for Timothy Olyphant. You watch Deadwood for Ian McShane.
I already know Ian McShanes owns bones. Olyphant, however, I don't understand why people keep hiring him.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

I already know Ian McShanes owns bones. Olyphant, however, I don't understand why people keep hiring him.

Dude looks fine in a cowboy hat.

Its not rocket science, bro.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Olyphant is great, in Deadwood of playing a goddamn psycho attempting to be stoic, in Justified of being a cool killer cop. Its not exactly wildly different stuff, but that doesn't invalidate it.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

gently caress, look like I'm going to have to give up my TV watching credentials, and my universal remote. I'm this close to cracking the case, captain!

EDIT: Yeah and Top of the Lake is a pretty terrible show to highlight a nuanced view on sexism. Well you see the cartoonish band of silly ladies represents feminism because

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 26, 2014

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Irish Joe posted:

That's more the EU's fault for letting countries that practice Mediterranean Accounting onto the team. A brilliant philosopher makes for a terrible accountant.

edit: fun fact, Socrates was arrested for tax fraud

I was about to post an actual response talking about various causes of the financial crisis but then I realized who I was responding to.

e: for something on topic and related to TV, I think Olyphant does a great job playing with subtle differences between similar roles in Deadwood vs. Justified. A whole lotta anger barely beneath the surfaces of both characters gets expressed quite differently.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 26, 2014

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Shageletic posted:

I honestly fail to see what's glamorizing about what happens in this show when the narrative goes out of its way to portray the serial killer in question as unnerving as hell. Like there's nothing that ever happens in the show that makes Paul Spector anything other than a revolting man masquerading under the guise of normalcy. Hannibal Lecter, he is not.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Shageletic posted:

And the Daily Mail called it the 'sickest programme on TV'. So what? It isn't a procedural. There is no rape. The Fall does absolutely nothing to glamorise either the killer or the killings.
Congratulations, you are the stereotype of an ignorant idiot criticising art without knowing anything about it. You are Disgusted of Tunbrudge Wells.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aaaalright, a bit hot headed there aren't you? I just said why I'm not too into a particular type of show, and you throw obscure English insults at me?!?!?! Swear like an American why don't you.

EDIT: But the long and short of it is that I'm tired of and uninterested in seeing the murder of women as a concept of a show without actually exploring them as characters in their own right, and the murders actually being interesting in a larger societal/thematic context. That's the crux of it, when there's already so much good TV I'm missing already.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 26, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

And the Daily Mail called it the 'sickest programme on TV'. So what? It isn't a procedural. There is no rape. The Fall does absolutely nothing to glamorise either the killer or the killings.
Congratulations, you are the stereotype of an ignorant idiot criticising art without knowing anything about it. You are Disgusted of Tunbrudge Wells.

I'm not familiar with that part of the Peerage system.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

And the Daily Mail called it the 'sickest programme on TV'.

They probably meant sick in the way urban youths use it, as in really cool

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Shageletic posted:

Aaaalright, a bit hot headed there aren't you? I just said why I'm not too into a particular type of show, and you throw obscure English insults at me?!?!?! Swear like an American why don't you.

EDIT: But the long and short of it is that I'm tired of and uninterested in seeing the murder of women as a concept of a show without actually exploring them as characters in their own right, and the murders actually being interesting in a larger societal/thematic context. That's the crux of it, when there's already so much good TV I'm missing already.

I feel like The Fall does an excellent job exploring women, or rather one in particular. Gillian Anderson is phenomenal and not just another hard boiled bitchcop.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Olyphant was pretty solid in the Girl Next Door. Beyond that though the guy knows his range, and excels in that area. Deadwood and Justfied are good partly because of him. He's a solid charismatic anchor.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Didn't see this posted. It's the reboot we've all been waiting for:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11/24/reboot-sequel-title-tv-show-cartoon_n_6214852.html?1&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just like the last half dozen times they've talked about bringing the show back.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Never heard of reboot, but it looks like a shittier version of Code Lyoko

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I really liked the show back then, especially when it got darker and they "killed off" Bob, but ummm, yeah, if you say you're gonna bring it back how about just do it when you have something to show other than a logo?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Rainmaker should just keep cashing those sweet sweet Barbie checks and let Reboot stay in the 90s where it belongs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sober posted:

I really liked the show back then, especially when it got darker and they "killed off" Bob, but ummm, yeah, if you say you're gonna bring it back how about just do it when you have something to show other than a logo?

The biggest problem with any revival of the property is that Tony Jay is dead and without that iconic villain the story is kind of blah.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The biggest problem with any revival of the property is that Tony Jay is dead and without that iconic villain the story is kind of blah.

While I won't deny the awesomeness of Tony Jay or Megabyte, I think the show had a ton of good episodes without him.

However it will be weird for them to dial back the darker tone the show took on as it progressed.

Also if instead of talking about making it they could just make it that'd be great. I don't need hype like three years in advance.

Also does anyone remember good Beast Wars was and how good Beast Machines wasn't? And from what I can see the studio hasn't produced anything decent in over a decade. And if you don't count the Spider-Man show they did (I didn't care for it but it seemed to be received okay critically as far as that sorta show can be) then the studio basically crapped out entirely in the year 2000. Like when you've been accepting crap projects for that long do you even know how to make something good?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, Black Mirror is putting out a Christmas anthology episode. Starring Jon Hamm. :dance:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even as a kid, I thought Reboot was proper gash.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Guys, Black Mirror is putting out a Christmas anthology episode. Starring Jon Hamm. :dance:

Alternate link, that site's apparently been hacked: http://www.avclub.com/article/jon-hamm-starring-black-mirror-special-imagine-blo-212335

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Even as a kid, I thought Reboot was proper gash.

True, its no shaved pussy, but at least it wasn't bushy snatch like most CGI cartoons from that period.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ravane posted:

Never heard of reboot, but it looks like a shittier version of Code Lyoko

It was one of those CG cartoons from the mid-90s when CG cartoons looked even worse than they do now. People on the internet lament its passing because they watched it when they were 9. See also: those CG Transformers cartoons where they were animals for some reason.

Irish Joe posted:

True, its no shaved pussy, but at least it wasn't bushy snatch like most CGI cartoons from that period.

Goddamnit Joe. :golfclap:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It was funny because it was crude and inappropriate.

I am shocked and appalled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What TV show is a shaved pussy

• Locked thread