Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Everblight posted:

Counterpoint: Always buy games as "Gift, store in inventory" and that way if you never get around to playing them, you can pawn them off on your friends or trade them in the trade thread for other games you want to play more

Isn't this exactly the thing that Steam made non-tradeable until after 30 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
Can anyone recommend hack and slash RPGs that are on sale?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dropbear posted:

I'd probably drop money on this now if I could confirm that it actually works properly. There are horror stories about terrible performance & the game crashing constantly; I've been burned enough with badly tested games for now. I wish releasing demos was still an actual thing.

EDIT: Then again of course it isn't, since games like AssCreed: Unity would sell like dogshit if people could try them out first.

They have patched Lords of the Fallen to the point that most people can play it with a perfectly comfortable FPS. That said it's still buggy in places, so unless you really want it, it won't kill you to wait.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Splits posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/246070/ :v:

I got the first 3 and the on sale part

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thank you

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Moryrie posted:

Are the Hate games worthwhile for someone who likes VNs? I Loved Hatoful. Cinders was.. pretty, but otherwise a little meh. LLTQ was cool, but I liked Hatoful better, and LLTQ feels more repetitive than Hatoful. Cherry Tree High is ok, but I never finished it. The 99 Spirits VN was weird. I feel weird playing male protagonists (especially if it's a dating sim, that's just. Awkward for me.) I also don't like VNs that don't have multiple routes.

So, Yes or No to the Hate games?

Yes, once you've played through Analogue first. Hate Plus is a direct sequel and assumes that you've beaten Analogue. Both games check both the multiple routes box and the "can play as a woman" box.

Morter posted:

Isn't this exactly the thing that Steam made non-tradeable until after 30 days?

You can still gift them before the 30 day limit is up, and frankly I'd expect in most cases by the time you've decided to get rid of it, the 30 days would probably be up anyway.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone wanna sell me on the Wargame franchise? I know people praise them a fair bit here. I like RTS, but I'm pretty bad at them- I'm not good at multitasking, so I tend to play defensive, which doesn't really seem like an option in this game. It's pretty, though! Also, the most recent one is twelve bucks, but the second entry in the franchise is only four. Is there a huge advancement between the titles?

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I'd like to know this, too. Also, would I enjoy the multi if I enjoyed Starcraft 2's multi?

Alright. It's a slower-paced strategy game where there's literally no micro. Positioning and having proper recon units/force composition wins the day. There's plenty of variety since you build an army "deck" before playing, and those cards you picked are the units you will use during the match. It LOOKS like a spergy game but there's really not that much granularity between units - a tank is a tank, and what matters how cheap/expensive it is. But that tank could have anti-tank missiles, or an autocannon, or be really fast, or have really lovely armor. But you aren't expected to know the difference between a T55 and a T55AMV2 beyond one is a lovely meatshield and the other one is an actual competent medium tank.

Red Dragon is by far the best one of all three. It adds ships to the game, while Airland Battle added planes. European Escalation is the slowest of them all, and the campaign never got updated when the balance patches rolled out - so early missions can be loving impossible when they used to be cakewalks. Airland Battle is a solid title, but not as good as Red Dragon - and most of the players are in RD anyways.

Red Dragon also has a shitton of nations between the two factions - US, UK, West Germany, France, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Canada, Australia & New Zealand, Japan and South Korea vs USSR, Poland, East Germany, Czechslovakia, China and North Korea. And that's leaving aside coalitions, such as Non-Soviet Warsaw Pact, Red Dragons, Blue Dragons, Eurocorps, Commonwealth and Scandinavian Union.
Also you get all the DLC for free, and there's another piece of DLC about to release that will also be free, bringing the Scandinavians to 1992.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
There was some talk about The Long Dark a few pages back. Would just like to chime in with my support also. Although, a caveat is that the game, as it stands right now (early access), is just the survival sandbox. It's kinda funny... A lot of what you do is really flip through menus where you craft stuff, and loot containers. But there is something about it all that makes it work so *well*. Love the feel of the game, the atmosphere is dead on.

I've just played it for a few hours because I really want the final game to feel fresh when it comes out. But I would recommend it even now if you're a fan of survival games. Just be aware that the game is rather "bare-bones" still. But it works amazingly well already.

Also, amazing, fantastic, wonderful adventure game Primordia is on sale. Get it if you haven't! It's awesome.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Delusibeta posted:

Yes, once you've played through Analogue first. Hate Plus is a direct sequel and assumes that you've beaten Analogue. Both games check both the multiple routes box and the "can play as a woman" box.

Thanks. I'll see if it gets to be a daily. (Or possibly wait to see if it gets to be a Christmas daily.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Turned out the right answer was Nimbus (hover + machine gun + fat body) and hope it doesn't spawn four battleships at once. It's pretty annoying when that and subs are all it spawns in some games, it makes multipliers impossible.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic is apparently pretty great and is on a Steam sale for the first time since isthereanydeal.com started tracking it. It might go on daily deal but either way keep an eye on it.

I also hear Drox Operative is great and it only goes on sale a couple times a year.

After years of Steam sales and ridiculous amounts of money spent, these are the games I pump my fist about seeing go on sale. What have you done to me, Valve? :negative:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Hey you Goddamn cock-breathed commie motherfuckers, Rogue Warrior turns 5 years old on the 1st, but more importantly, it's 50% off.

Send me the bill, cocksuckers.

I won't pay it :devil:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Splits posted:

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 1 and 2 are on small sales but they're not expensive in the first place, they're very good: http://store.steampowered.com/app/215530/

Grim Dawn is 25% OFF and not that cheap but it's good now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/219990/

Marvel Heroes is still free: http://store.steampowered.com/app/226320/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Path of Exile is still free: http://store.steampowered.com/app/238960/

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Lord help me, I have not properly braced my wallet for what is to come, I am a fool

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Space Rangers HD is on sale for 75% off

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

New Concept Hole posted:

Hey you Goddamn cock-breathed commie motherfuckers, Rogue Warrior turns 5 years old on the 1st, but more importantly, it's 50% off.

Send me the bill, cocksuckers.

I won't pay it :devil:

GOAT

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Things that are bad and no one wants are often free.

For instance, an unremarkable rock, or a pile of dirt no one could ever have fun with, are free.

v *clutches chest* oooooh, I am undone, a MLYP comeback!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Everblight posted:

Things that are bad and no one wants are often free

Your posts, for example.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Has anybody taken the plunge on Warhammer 40K: Armageddon yet? I'm pretty close to just pulling the trigger. Panzer Corps. mechanics with a 40K setting, and modding, sounds pretty promising.

Also, Lost Planet 3 worth $10 for SP only?

FadedReality posted:

I also hear Drox Operative is great and it only goes on sale a couple times a year.

Drox Operative looks good, but I'm not sure whether I should care about that warning on the store page about third party DRM. Anyone know whether that DRM is problematic or not?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So I get like 1-2 hrs maybe once or twice a week to play vidia games.
I've been eyeing bully, sleepy dogs, and driver san fran to scratch my game ADD for a GTA:like game.
which ones are conducive towards my 1-2hrs a session limits.

I typically look for - saving in mission (or out of if the missions are short)
and missions that are fun, have carnage, but dont require 3hrs of investment.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there a unlock code for Sonic Kart Racing for everything? Or do you have to save game/trainer it

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Oh hey, Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death is back down to a dollar. If you missed this during the Summer Sale, you need to get it. It's a shameless ripoff of God of War but it's solidly made, and the duo in the title are quite fun. Well worth a measly buck.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I've been eyeing bully, sleepy dogs, and driver san fran to scratch my game ADD for a GTA:like game.

Saints Row

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Sorry if there has already been asked and talked about, but this sale's lack of flash or daily deals makes me wonder if there are new rules or if it's just a new layout that's confusing me. Are the "Featured deals" the new flash deals or what?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

rizuhbull posted:

Sorry if there has already been asked and talked about, but this sale's lack of flash or daily deals makes me wonder if there are new rules or if it's just a new layout that's confusing me. Are the "Featured deals" the new flash deals or what?

Those features are only present during the Summer and Winter sales. This is more of a mini sale.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

tater_salad posted:

sleepy dawgs. You never get out of your car in Driver, although it is great.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Malek posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/246070/ :v:

I got the first 3 and the on sale part

this game was really bad :shrug:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Everblight posted:

Saints Row

I have Saints Row, and have game ADD.. should I just keep playing Staints row.

I WANT TO BUY THINGS... AMERICA!!!!!

ArkOfTurus
Apr 23, 2008

Everblight posted:

Things that are bad and no one wants are often free.

For instance, an unremarkable rock, or a pile of dirt no one could ever have fun with, are free.

v *clutches chest* oooooh, I am undone, a MLYP comeback!

Marvel Heroes isn't bad anymore, though.

Well, okay, it's kinda bad, but it's fun anyway.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

kazil posted:

Those features are only present during the Summer and Winter sales. This is more of a mini sale.
So might there still be a holiday sale? Cause this is really hard as is.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

cat doter posted:

AC: unity loving SUCKS, it's probably the worst AC apart from the first.

Hey now, for all the problems that Assassins Creed 1 had, at least it didn't have micro-transaction chests and a tonne of bugs and connection issues.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

kazil posted:

There are daily deals actually. They're called "Featured deals" and only run for 48 hours (just like the "daily" deals. New ones still appear daily)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoyGUcXepc

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

McCoy Pauley posted:

Drox Operative looks good, but I'm not sure whether I should care about that warning on the store page about third party DRM. Anyone know whether that DRM is problematic or not?

From the store page: "Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: simple key"

I put about 60 hours into the game earlier this year and I don't even remember that, but it's likely they just ask you to put in a key - you know how Steam pops up that little tab when you start a game saying "here's the key to put in"? Pretty sure it would just be that.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

tater_salad posted:

I would say sleepy dogs, but the problem will be that you'll suddenly find yourself playing it for more than 2 hours without noticing.

Though I'm not sure if it's as fun as Saints Row, but it's probably the best made GTA game I've played.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Xaris posted:

this game was really bad :shrug:

It was. But it's Hack and Slash. :thejoke:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Leper Residue posted:

I would say sleepy dogs, but the problem will be that you'll suddenly find yourself playing it for more than 2 hours without noticing.

Though I'm not sure if it's as fun as Saints Row, but it's probably the best made GTA game I've played.

Yeah, this. Sleeping Dogs would be the best in the genre if Red Dead Redemption didn't exist. It's tight, it's polished, there's a ton of stuff to do, and the story is actually good.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Palpek posted:

Grim Dawn is 25% OFF and not that cheap but it's good now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/219990/

Grim Dawn is from the same basic team that made the astoundingly good Titan Quest, so if you're into ARPGs you probably want this. I bought this waaayyy back when it was first announced and don't regret it, game loving owns.

e; And as always everyone needs to buy Sleepy Dogs because it's about as good as the genre gets without being Saints Row 2/4.

e2; VVV gently caress yeah it is, once both the expacs hit Civ 5 went from poo poo to great. That said Endless Legends is even better for 4X so maybe wait for that to be daily or something instead? You won't go wrong with CiV though.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 26, 2014

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Civ 5 plus all the dlc for $13 is a good deal right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
It's time for my monthly* check to see if a game is more fun/playable with coop, even though most people pan it.

Aliens: Colonial Marines? :v: I know everyone hates it, but I'm being prodded into playing co-op with someone (which I didn't know it had until just now), and not only was it already on my wishlist, but it's only three dollars in the Humble Store

*no it isn't

Morter fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 26, 2014

• Locked thread