Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

The sun rose, the clouds parted, all was suddenly made clear and...

Oh goddamn it. God loving drat it.

When the misbehaving trunk was first set up, after my initial 911 testing, AT&T told us that E911 was possible. I set up Lync and the SBC to send E911 info to the trunk, thinking very little past that point. I was a SIP newblood - still am - and should have known better.

Yeah, AT&T doesn't support E911 - they do 911 addressing by the "Calling Number" URI only. I set up Location Services to present the right URIs and what-have-you, but never thought of rolling back the E911 change. Not long after, the other trunks (the ones that work) were installed, and I never set up E911 for those. History became myth, myth became legend...

Called Sonus, who promptly said "Hey shut that poo poo off." INVITE went from 2500 Bytes to 1100 Bytes. 911 rings on the misbehaving trunk now.

Told my boss, who just laughed and told me that I seriously need a vacation and get worked up too easily. Maybe this is what being CF/DaF is like.

I seriously hate me right now. I think I'm going to resolve that with beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So when our help desk sends out company wide emails, they start the message with "Dear Valued Customers" and that irks me. Its probably just me, but the people we support aren't our customers, they are our coworkers. Not sure why this bothers me, but I guess it feels like we aren't working with them, and instead for them.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

So when our help desk sends out company wide emails, they start the message with "Dear Valued Customers" and that irks me. Its probably just me, but the people we support aren't our customers, they are our coworkers. Not sure why this bothers me, but I guess it feels like we aren't working with them, and instead for them.

It's because, marketing BS aside, most US companies treat their customers like crap.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SubjectVerbObject posted:

It's because, marketing BS aside, most US companies treat their customers like crap.

Or because some companies run departments as independent business units with different costing, and a franchise calling corporate help desk actually gets billed. It may even be required by regulation

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
poo poo pissing me off? My boss that thinks he can spout his racist opinions about the "thugs" in Ferguson all day long.

He's been out of the Marines for a little over six months and is under the impression that our office supports the same hoo-rah, macho bullshit that they do.

Protip: We don't.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Zamujasa posted:

Who knows. As far as any of us knew, it was a done deal with a start date of next week, agreed upon and everything.

Make sure she wasn't just speaking to a confused idiot. I can imagine them mistaking her on the phone for some other applicant and saying "Sorry Zamu's friend, we gave this job to Zamu's friend instead"

Clarify that, and if it's not the case, lawyer.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

GOOCHY posted:

poo poo pissing me off? My boss that thinks he can spout his racist opinions about the "thugs" in Ferguson all day long.

He's been out of the Marines for a little over six months and is under the impression that our office supports the same hoo-rah, macho bullshit that they do.

Are you in a big enough company to have an ethics hotline?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Update to my PowerShell rant:

You're a great bunch of people, and with your helpful hints for which commands to use, and how to truncate the fields I wound up with this.

code:
### Define Variables before we start ###
$InputFile="C:\_\Input.xml"
$OutputFile="c:\_\OutPut.csv"

### Open XML Document ###
$xml = New-Object -TypeName XML
$xml.Load($InputFile)

### Get AD User object from contents ###
$ReadDepartment = $xml.ROWSET.ROW.JOB_ROW.JOB_ROW_ROW.BRUGERID -replace "^.*?\\" | Get-ADUser | Select-Object DistinguishedName

### Truncate field to only show department ###
$ReadDepartment = $ReadDepartment -replace "^.*?OU="
$ReadDepartment = $ReadDepartment -replace ",OU=Bleh,OU=Blah,OU=Blurgh,DC=internal,DC=blarg,DC=dk}"

### Write output file ###
$ReadDepartment | Out-File $OutputFile
17 lines to read an XML-file, extract the data field I need, truncate it, match the data against AD and grab the OU I need, then stuff it all into a file again.

Powershell is pretty impressive.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

GOOCHY posted:

If he's legitimately being racist, go to HR or his boss. If he just doesn't like looters, well, some people think differently than you I suppose. My office has been talking about Ferguson for the past week and we're about 50/50 on our opinions ("the looters are animals!" vs "The looters are justified!") and we've just decided that we're not going to agree and to leave it.

In fact, scratch that. Just ignore politics in the office. Sex, politics and religion should never be discussed in an office unless you're all chill as hell.

poo poo that's pissing me off? Anyone remember when I was pissed that my co-worker got given the team leader role? Any time someone disagrees with her she claims sexism. I've not been hit with the claim yet because i'm keeping my head down but its painful to hear about.

e: Whoops, quoted the wrong chap.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 26, 2014

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

dogstile posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off? Anyone remember when I was pissed that my co-worker got given the team leader role? Any time someone disagrees with her she claims sexism. I've not been hit with the claim yet because i'm keeping my head down but its painful to hear about.

turnabout being fair play, I'd run that poo poo into the ground.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Told my boss, who just laughed and told me that I seriously need a vacation and get worked up too easily. Maybe this is what being CF/DaF is like.

He's right. Don't be so hard on yourself.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

evol262 posted:

Or because some companies run departments as independent business units with different costing, and a franchise calling corporate help desk actually gets billed. It may even be required by regulation

Oh I know why companies treat other internal units as customers. It's just that looking at how most companies treat their external customer, I would be bothered, like the person I was quoting, if the company wanted to treat me as a customer.

Actually this makes more sense, given that companies try to get the most they can from their employees and external customers while giving as little as possible.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I just vent here. I have a wife and a young child to take care of so I can't risk anything. Just grin and bear it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Oh I know why companies treat other internal units as customers. It's just that looking at how most companies treat their external customer, I would be bothered, like the person I was quoting, if the company wanted to treat me as a customer.

Actually this makes more sense, given that companies try to get the most they can from their employees and external customers while giving as little as possible.

"Customer" is not a pejorative. I get that SH/SC broadly thinks that every company is out to screw over their employees and customers for minimal gain, but that's just as untrue as the converse. There's a difference between handling companies (or your employer) adversarially and treating them like the literal incarnation of objectivism.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

911 rings on the misbehaving trunk now.

Every mistake is a learning experience. At least you are accepting responsibility and not trying to foist it on someone else.

Another takeaway from this experience could be that if there's a serious problem, you should spend some time every day trying to chip away at it. In this particular case it might have gotten the problem resolved before a person was laying on the ground with their head split open.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
11 users at the office at my offsite location and 11 times I've had to explain what the security certificate issue is about and why they aren't about to be hacked at any minute. The lack of communication between these people kind of blows my mind. I installed a computer (the one they wanted that day out of nowhere) and that user's manager has no idea that a ticket was filed to create an account. It's cool to look proactive, but the guy in charge of coordinating IT shares a wall with you and you don't know this stuff has been formally requested? It's kind of bizarre.

Also, all of our senior networking staff are on vacation for the next two weeks. I mean that's cool and all, but isn't there a risk inherent of all of them being off air for weeks? We don't have a change freeze in place and stuff still breaks. Renewing a security certificate sounds easy, but I don't think I have any business messing with a prod mail server without knowing what I'm doing. I may have to though.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If you're going to assign someone to QA the color adjustments I did to your web page don't assign it to a colorblind person, it's awkward for everyone involved.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Manslaughter posted:

If you're going to assign someone to QA the color adjustments I did to your web page don't assign it to a colorblind person, it's awkward for everyone involved.

Amazing!

Not pissing me off: 4 day weekend
PIssing me off right now: documentation and trying to get poo poo done so I can leave at 2pm and avoid the awful traffic that will be chicago highways on my way home.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

mewse posted:

Another takeaway from this experience could be that if there's a serious problem, you should spend some time every day trying to chip away at it. In this particular case it might have gotten the problem resolved before a person was laying on the ground with their head split open.

I didn't realize there was a problem until then. :(

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
Pissing me off: If I were still at my last job, I'd be home by now.

Also pissing me off: The only reason I am allowed to be off on Friday is that I came in on Sunday.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I quit. Not a good day.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I quit. Not a good day.

welp

good luck?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I quit. Not a good day.

What happened?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I quit. Not a good day.

Gotta hear the story behind this one.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

GOOCHY posted:

I feel you. The Ferguson protests in our city were very small scale, but my boss considers it "rioting" because they blocked the road for a while. This didn't affect him at all, but is somehow still disruptive enough that it was a "riot" in his eyes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

GOOCHY posted:

Gotta hear the story behind this one.

Seven months after the ambush those idiots still haven't given me one shred of feedback. Feedback for that terrible problem... that didn't exist. I've been in the doghouse all this time, anxious that any disruption to the phones or network will cost me my job. My new boss is much like the first, a mixture of detached and hostile. Fine, I just keep plugging away. I need the money, just trying to keep my head down.

One of the big locations has a manager that let it slip that a month ago my many bosses wanted to have an I.T. meeting with him, and the HR VP asked that I not be invited so they could discuss "all their issues." God I was pissed off when I heard that. These fuckers will not follow up on the fictional performance issues, but they'll hold them against me eternally.

This morning I have to work on my new boss's PC. There's a spreadsheet on the keyboard of open positions. At the top "VP, IT" with a salary more than twice mine and a $30k signing bonus.

So... I can't get any help with my workload. The office manager now has three people just to keep the snacks stocked and the dishes clean, but what we really need is a high paid VP over me. Jesus christ.

I walked into the CEO's office and put an I QUIT post it note on his monitor but it turned out he was on vacation so I took the note back and tried to find a way to cool off. I wanted to stay employed but ultimately they were going to either continue to demean me or maybe get the new VP to "fix the glitch" and can me.

I let it percolate for a few hours and then quit. It was a terrible feeling, like it always is. I feel like I want to find some dark hole and just hide in it.

I'm so sick of this and sick of myself.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dick Trauma posted:

sick of myself.

Don't be.

They treated you like poo poo, they don't deserve another second of your time. No salary is worth being treated like that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I hope you wrote a resignation letter rather than using the sticky. Other than that, good job getting out of a horrible situation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm actually a good I.T. manager before people crush my spirit. I swear it.

EDIT: I'm afraid my anger got the better of me and I did quit via Post It note. I wrote "I QUIT" on it and signed and dated it. I gave it to the CEO's assistant because she always treated me with respect. I refused to quit to my boss or that terrible HR VP.

It's the only time in my life I didn't try to be the bigger person when it came to quittin' time. I think it's just a sign of how much strain I've been under there, and for literally years. I'd take it back if I could.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

It's the only time in my life I didn't try to be the bigger person when it came to quittin' time. I think it's just a sign of how much strain I've been under there, and for literally years. I'd take it back if I could.

When you snap, you snap. They should feel lucky that you didn't just come in and shoot up the place after the abuse they put you through. They won't, but they should.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

Nah it's fine. A corporation is an unfeeling sociopath (by design!) so you shouldn't care about its needs or wants or future, because it sure doesn't care about yours, and will actively work to destroy you if it could get even the slightest benefit from it.

Good people can work at a company, but the way we setup the laws that govern capitalism mean that companies are most successful when they are unfeeling, uncaring entities.

You should have left long ago, you let them extract a bunch of work from you without respecting your abilities or paying you for them.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 26, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm actually a good I.T. manager before people crush my spirit. I swear it.

EDIT: I'm afraid my anger got the better of me and I did quit via Post It note. I wrote "I QUIT" on it and signed and dated it. I gave it to the CEO's assistant because she always treated me with respect. I refused to quit to my boss or that terrible HR VP.

I think you did very well not to drop trou and squeeze one out on his desk.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Good stuff. The thing that sucks is that you might have missed out on a potential severance pakcage if they fired you.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

bobmarleysghost posted:

Good stuff. The thing that sucks is that you might have missed out on a potential severance pakcage if they fired you.

That's a good one.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My brother asked "is there anything you can do to get them to fire you?" and I figured, yes, lots. :getin:

I feel a little better now. The CEO's assistant sent me some really nice emails. I'll get started on my LinkedIn/Monster/Dice stuff in the next couple of days. Thank you all for listening to what is now multiple years of work horror.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
We still love you, Dick Trauma.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Whatup "finally got that last straw installed" bro :smith:

When I quit, all of a sudden I stopped having stomach pains every day and such.

And afterwards, I ended up stumbling into the job I'd originally been RiF'd from a few years earlier, and where the only reason they didn't just say "yo, start now" was that they had 400+ applicants to weed through.

Hope y'all have decent luck, dude. :unsmith:

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I've been at that stress level before and it's not fun. Hopefully you can land on your feet and have some interviews after the holiday season. This is a tough stretch for hiring. A lot of companies shut it down for the next couple of months unless it's an absolute emergency that they hire some IT savant for something.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dick Trauma posted:

My brother asked "is there anything you can do to get them to fire you?" and I figured, yes, lots. :getin:

I feel a little better now. The CEO's assistant sent me some really nice emails. I'll get started on my LinkedIn/Monster/Dice stuff in the next couple of days. Thank you all for listening to what is now multiple years of work horror.

Check out the LinkedIn Goon Group. I have no idea if anyone's gotten a job out of there but there's a pretty diverse group of people on it.

EDIT-Also, you feel like poo poo. But this is also the new beginning. Sky's the limit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skooma512 posted:

Also, all of our senior networking staff are on vacation for the next two weeks. I mean that's cool and all, but isn't there a risk inherent of all of them being off air for weeks? We don't have a change freeze in place and stuff still breaks. Renewing a security certificate sounds easy, but I don't think I have any business messing with a prod mail server without knowing what I'm doing. I may have to though.

I'm hoping they have a policy in place for that. Usually when a majority of senior staff is going to be out of the office (PTO, vacation, whatever), we make sure at least some of us will be willing to take emergency escalations and have easy access to VPN on short notice even if that means the company reimbursing any overage for using personal mobile data to connect. It's understood that all time spent on whatever escalation will be comped at 1.5 days for every day incrementing in one day units.

It's not so bad, and can actually be a godsend on a vacation with extended family members. I love them and all, but my LD50 can be quite low with some of them :)