Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Farecoal posted:

I thought the show would be put on hiatus when it reached the end of the book material until a new one comes out

I don't really know what else they could do, but the loss of revenue and chaos that'd cause for the actors makes me think they wouldn't allow it. To say nothing of Bran and Arya coming back as 20 year olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

In It For The Tank posted:

Essays

Winterfell Huis Clos: A 300,000 word analysis of the events surrounding Winterfell in ADWD. The author's conclusions are controversial but their meticulous examination of the recurring themes and symbolism in ASOIAF during the first section should be considered required reading for any ASOIAF fan.

Race for the Iron Throne: In the author's own words, a historical and political analysis of A Song of Ice and Fire. Written by a PhD in history, Race for the Iron Throne discusses the series on a chapter by chapter basis, examining the story, characters, political systems, and historical influences of the books.

Untangling the Meereenese Knot: A five-part critical response to the prevailing notion that Dany's storyline in ADWD was useless and boring. The author recontextualizes the conflict in Meereen and posits that it is far more interesting (and relevant) than it first appears.

Other Wars: A six-part analysis of Jon Snow's character and ADWD storyline. Jon's tenure as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch is marked by a series of challenges to his core values. On multiple occasions, Jon is forced to choose between adhering to his vows as a brother of the Night's Watch and acting upon his valiant desire to do the right thing. The author of examines how Jon's noble heart ultimately causes his downfall.

The Pyre Revisited: A short essay that finally sets the record straight about Dany's alleged immunity to fire. The author of this article reexamines the climax of AGOT and identifies the true reason for the miracle that occurred on the Pyre.

One Does Not Simply Warg Into Hodor: Often overlooked by readers, Bran is guilty of one of the most evil acts in the entire series: the willful mental subjugation of another human being. The author of this short essay summarizes the depravity of Bran's actions and hints at some of the disturbing potential consequences of his behavior.

???

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
What kind of concern troll dumbfuck thinks almost everyone other than him/her didn't understand warging other people was a BAD THING, that was being presented as ominous?

The entire intro chapter is about that.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Im just so sick of all these thrones

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

. To say nothing of Bran and Arya coming back as 20 year olds.

Oh hey, they found a way to make Mercy less creepy.
But really, hiatus ain't happening. For better or for worse, HBO is finishing this poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Worst case scenario I could see them attempting a pre-quel style season summing up Roberts Rebellion or something but I think that has a .0000000001% chance of really happening.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Seeing Robert's Rebellion would be awesome though. A well done Battle of the Trident and seeing Ned walk in to the throne room to see Jamie are two scenes I would love to see.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kcroy posted:

hey I didn't realize 2nd stormlight book is out.. something to read this holiday!

Be aware that if you jump into Bakker that:

1) lots of confusing names and places that initially have very little context
2) took me a while to get into it.. lots of prose, and it initially tracks 3-4 characters, some of whom don't get talked about for a long time. ( sort of like grrm that way I guess )

I'm a bit wary of it now. I started on the first Malazan book and then came across how it's all over the place and so the next book might cover earlier periods and such. I might just have to skip this if it's the same way as I'm not too big on the whole "well the second (or third) time you read the series it all makes much more sense" kind of setup.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I saw some vague rumor about a potential GoT movie a while ago, making one about Bob's rebellion would be neat

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Farecoal posted:

I thought the show would be put on hiatus when it reached the end of the book material until a new one comes out

You mean indefinitely?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

kcroy posted:

You mean indefinitely?

Oof

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Star Platinum posted:

I saw some vague rumor about a potential GoT movie a while ago, making one about Bob's rebellion would be neat

The only movie rumor I've heard was the idea of them doing a movie for the series finale, which just sounds like an utterly shameless attempt at a box office cash grab. I can't see it working out too well either.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bob's 'Bellions starring H Jon Benjamin

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Copied from the Paradox Interactive thread.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm a bit wary of it now. I started on the first Malazan book and then came across how it's all over the place and so the next book might cover earlier periods and such. I might just have to skip this if it's the same way as I'm not too big on the whole "well the second (or third) time you read the series it all makes much more sense" kind of setup.

i hear you. it isn't different time frames or whatever, I just felt like they introduced this really interesting character, then jumped into the next one ( which I found boring for a long rear end time ) . personally, I think the pay off is worth it. but YMMV.

Have you read Abercromine's first law trilogy?

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Yeah First Law Trilogy is pretty cool. And, finished!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Abercrombie's writing is pretty simplistic, but he does violence/battles/fighting so well it's still awesome.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know, I can't believe I didn't mention it earlier, but if you like GRRM's writing style, you might like this:

The premise: in 1946, an experimental virus from another planet is released on Earth over Manhattan. This virus is extremely unpredictable and thus becomes known as "the Wild Card." 90% of victims die (known as "drawing the black queen"), and 90% of those survivors become hideous deformed mutants ("Jokers").

A lucky few ("Aces") become gifted with powers and abilities of differing magnitudes (there are also "Deuces" with minor powers and a few Joker-Aces that blur the line between the categories). This alternate take on the superhero would seem to be enough story fuel but Wild Cards goes even further by developing its world into a significant alternate universe, a world in which the modern Middle East is governed by a revived caliphate, Vietnam is a haven for Jokers and Frank Zappa is an acclaimed military general (!!!). Because so much of the rest of their universe reflects our own, it can be a little jarring to hear these sorts of references, but it's the sort of thing you pick up on after a while. Like a lot of things, the newer books have made this aspect a little less daunting.

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Cards-I-Trust/dp/0765365073

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Wait.... Frank Zappa is in Wild Cards? As a Military General?

Ummm.... I didn't think I could hate this absolute fucker author any more. But I do now. Leave Frank Zappa out of your poo poo dick covered terrible books you jerk. Argh.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

kcroy posted:

You know, I can't believe I didn't mention it earlier, but if you like GRRM's writing style, you might like this:

The premise: in 1946, an experimental virus from another planet is released on Earth over Manhattan. This virus is extremely unpredictable and thus becomes known as "the Wild Card." 90% of victims die (known as "drawing the black queen"), and 90% of those survivors become hideous deformed mutants ("Jokers").

A lucky few ("Aces") become gifted with powers and abilities of differing magnitudes (there are also "Deuces" with minor powers and a few Joker-Aces that blur the line between the categories). This alternate take on the superhero would seem to be enough story fuel but Wild Cards goes even further by developing its world into a significant alternate universe, a world in which the modern Middle East is governed by a revived caliphate, Vietnam is a haven for Jokers and Frank Zappa is an acclaimed military general (!!!). Because so much of the rest of their universe reflects our own, it can be a little jarring to hear these sorts of references, but it's the sort of thing you pick up on after a while. Like a lot of things, the newer books have made this aspect a little less daunting.

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Cards-I-Trust/dp/0765365073

don't be a dick

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
if you like grrm, you might enjoy reading about a child's corpse hosed back to life by a pimp ninja's magic spunk. right in your wheelhouse, friendo

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
excuse me, pimp sorcerer.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
reading wildcards really should be a requirement for being in this thread. you need to know. TO KNOW.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wiki'd Wild Cards a while back, and this character description cracked me up:

quote:

Hiram Worchester is a fictional character from the Wild Cards book series, who was created by George R. R. Martin. His first appearance was a brief cameo in "Wild Card Chic," a short in-story document in the first book of the series, Wild Cards. Hiram is an ace, one of the fortunate few gifted with amazing abilities by the Wild Card virus. He can manipulate gravity, which he uses to render his 375 pound frame a mere 35 pounds, making him incredibly agile for his size.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
My favorite SuperGRRM is the nerd who gets stagefright and can only perform his powers from the safety of his pedo-van, with the nerd who can transform himself into Jamie Lannister on a motorcycle coming a close second.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lycus posted:

I wiki'd Wild Cards a while back, and this character description cracked me up:

So he's basically the Baron Harkonnen.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

savinhill posted:

My favorite SuperGRRM is the nerd who gets stagefright and can only perform his powers from the safety of his pedo-van, with the nerd who can transform himself into Jamie Lannister on a motorcycle coming a close second.

Yeah pedo van guys is GRRMS character, the GREAT AND POWERFUL TURTLE ...

Note the turtle on the sword...

kcroy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 27, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Well, obviously. How is that even news to anyone. It's funny how anyone expected it to to come out any sooner, if at all. I mean, it took nearly 6 years before book 4 came out, and another six years between book 4 and 5. It only makes sense it would take at least another 6 before book 6 even has a chance of release.

Also, that "article" has absolutely not a single piece of factual news to even form a basis on the 2017 release date. It's an article that says nothing designed to get game of thrones dorks to click on it. The only reason they give for their 2017 date prediction is some bullshit FiveThirtyEight calculations (from 5 months ago mind you) based on complete guesses at his words written per day, plus charting his loving mood as listed on his stupid blog page. They then made the headline sound like it contains an official statement on the release date or something. Real scientific statistics stuff, that.

The article has no reason to exist and was just pulled out of someones as to get game of thrones clicks.

Also we all know that the Gurm's glacial writing pace can only be measured in words per year.

Damo fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 27, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Who's going to write it?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Fixed

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hogge Wild posted:

Who's going to write it?

A computer filled with the previous works in the series, combing through and recombining words and phrases while randomly deciding plot moves.

It will be the very best volume in the series.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kcroy posted:

i hear you. it isn't different time frames or whatever, I just felt like they introduced this really interesting character, then jumped into the next one ( which I found boring for a long rear end time ) . personally, I think the pay off is worth it. but YMMV.

Have you read Abercromine's first law trilogy?

Yep, went through First Law and it was decent even if the ending and the First Magi's bullshit was really heavily telegraphed, but didn't read any of his standalone stuff that happens some time after it.

Only 250 words per day? Goddamn that's insanity and I hope HBO passes him by so when the book comes out few people give a poo poo, though he'll just use poor sales as an excuse to officially quit writing.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Damo posted:

I mean, it took nearly 6 years before book 4 came out, and another six years between book 4 and 5. It only makes sense it would take at least another 6 before book 6 even has a chance of release.

10 years between book 3 and 4 is the actual number, since book 4 was split in half. And that was before all the side distractions. So I'd say 10 years is a minimum number for a full book, and I think we can agree that more than 1 full novel will be required to wrap this thing up. I think 3 is a minimum number.

There is simply no way he can finish this series at his current pace. It would be another 30 years, and not trying to be mean, but I don't think he is gonna see 93.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kcroy posted:

10 years between book 3 and 4 is the actual number, since book 4 was split in half. And that was before all the side distractions. So I'd say 10 years is a minimum number for a full book, and I think we can agree that more than 1 full novel will be required to wrap this thing up. I think 3 is a minimum number.

There is simply no way he can finish this series at his current pace. It would be another 30 years, and not trying to be mean, but I don't think he is gonna see 93.

And even then, Dance was probably still a full year off from actually being "finished" when it was pushed out the door in a panic by his editor without the actual ending just to get anything ASoIaF-related on the shelves before the TV show premiered.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Telltale game is out next week. It'll probably be heavily discounted before even half the episodes are out though.

I dunno, this has the potential of being better than both the show and recent novelisations. Could also be pants.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
This guy will die before finishing the series.

I would toxx, but nobody would care/remember because HBO will have sent the series off with an acceptable finale by then anyway.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

You don't say?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

The Telltale game is out next week. It'll probably be heavily discounted before even half the episodes are out though.

I dunno, this has the potential of being better than both the show and recent novelisations. Could also be pants.

If the Walking Dead is anything to go by, it'll be very average and then get a fan favourite character which then takes centre stage in everything, ala Clementine.

It'll be in a Humble Indie Bundle sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Aurain posted:

If the Walking Dead is anything to go by, it'll be very average and then get a fan favourite character which then takes centre stage in everything, ala Clementine.

It'll be in a Humble Indie Bundle sooner rather than later.

Considering that it was the goal of the first season of the game to get the player attached to Clementine, I think you're being excessively cynical about the series.