Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hate golf and I hate these people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93MFh0r2RJs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sash! posted:

Ok, maybe someone that's more knowledgeable about cars can explain this to me: why do Lexuses always seem like the dumb person's impression of what a high end car is? There's this odd arrogance about their commercials that gets this vibe like they're trying too hard to be a Mercedes.

I think they're trying to make you believe you're getting Mercedes quality at a Toyota price.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I hate, hate, hate, loving HATE commercials that are too precious by half. I'm looking at you, Shutterfly's lovely "Mail Myself to You" ad. Also ads that have desperately shoehorned-in rhymes, like the Food Network's "Holiday Championship" commercial. There was a dating site that did something like that too, and it was just too twee to be allowed to live.

Suffer not a twee twit to live.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 23, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Majorian posted:

I hate, hate, hate, loving HATE commercials that are too precious by half. I'm looking at you, Shutterfly's lovely "Mail Myself to You" ad.

Not bad for a 50+ year old song.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Personally, I get irritated by that overly schmaltzy Guinness commercial where some bartender leaves a glass of Guinness out on an empty table every night until one night when the guy it's for apparently shows up straight off the plane from Afghanistan.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Mister Kingdom posted:

Not bad for a 50+ year old song.

Oh, I love the song. Just not that version, in that commercial.:argh:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Seriously, what is THE LIGHTS?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hey, Chromecast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7e6F0LLQ7U

This is not how people watch TV. You already made an ad that shows that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaZTJprdkFU

Also don't make anymore ads showing me reaction shots of people watching TV. They're terrible.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hey, Chromecast

This is not how people watch TV. You already made an ad that shows that.

Also don't make anymore ads showing me reaction shots of people watching TV. They're terrible.
2 seconds out of a 15 seconds commercial, seriously? They're not even saying anything.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

raditts posted:

Personally, I get irritated by that overly schmaltzy Guinness commercial where some bartender leaves a glass of Guinness out on an empty table every night until one night when the guy it's for apparently shows up straight off the plane from Afghanistan.

Isn't this an actual tradition (though it's usually the guy's drinking buddies buying an extra drink for him in their round)?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

An Angry Bug posted:

Seriously, what is THE LIGHTS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nQTu9m2IYw

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
So, uh, I just saw Kate Upton in a literal "come play, my lord" commercial for a mobile game during an NFL football game. Shut it all down, people

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vicas posted:

So, uh, I just saw Kate Upton in a literal "come play, my lord" commercial for a mobile game during an NFL football game. Shut it all down, people

Wowwwwwwwww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM3JURVPhX0

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vicas posted:

We still haven't reached "pets.com during the Superbowl" quite yet.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vicas posted:

That's one of the oddest commercials I've ever seen, because she so clearly doesn't have any idea what she's doing in the commercial. Also the green screen looks really low budget.

Also, I just saw the version of the "Mail Myself to You" Shutterfly commercial and I like that one a lot more. Because it's cute. It's not cute when a bunch of repulsive grown-rear end hipsters are singing it.

e: The grotesque hipster version just played on Comedy Central during Futurama. I haven't wanted to reach through the screen and punch somebody in a commercial since Incredibeard showed up in that atrocious "Today" Honda commercial.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 24, 2014

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Gonna buck the trend a little bit (don't probate me bro! :haw:) and give a shout-out to Coach T. and the crew with Toyota.

I love the irreverent humor and his infectious spirit has convinced me to "sign" with Team Toyota for the next 3 years. Goonspeed!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Gonna buck the trend a little bit (don't probate me bro! :haw:) and give a shout-out to Coach T. and the crew with Toyota.

I love the irreverent humor and his infectious spirit has convinced me to "sign" with Team Toyota for the next 3 years. Goonspeed!

W-what?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

raditts posted:

I may have posted about it before, but I really don't like commercials that use a soldier being deployed to sell something.

I would change my mind if they donated to something like the Wounded Warrior foundation or something along those lines, but the Guinness commercial doesn't have anything like that, same as the Jeep ad from a year or so ago.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It aired twice in nearly every commercial break for a month, too. :smithicide:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It aired twice in nearly every commercial break for a month, too. :smithicide:

I remember seeing everyone complain about this commercial last year, but I've literally never seen it until now. Weird.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Mahoning posted:

I remember seeing everyone complain about this commercial last year, but I've literally never seen it until now. Weird.

Yeah, me too. I watched it and thought, "THAT'S what was giving everybody conniption fits?"

Then I imagined having to see that slow-motion manic grin twice every break... :gonk:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rahonavis posted:

Then I imagined having to see that slow-motion manic grin twice every break... :gonk:

Have another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoIYGd5MunY

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

AFewBricksShy posted:

I may have posted about it before, but I really don't like commercials that use a soldier being deployed to sell something.

I would change my mind if they donated to something like the Wounded Warrior foundation or something along those lines, but the Guinness commercial doesn't have anything like that, same as the Jeep ad from a year or so ago.

"Support are troops" has always been a marketing slogan, the fact that it's being used to promote banal consumer goods instead of an illegal war based on lies is actually a step up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mahoning posted:

That might be because it's a campaign from 2012. It was just so bad it still haunts us. It made watching football hell for the holiday season.

If I was doing a top-10 worst ever holiday ad list, it'd definitely hit the top five. That and the Pomplamoose Hyundai ads.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I finally saw the M&M's "They do exist!" commercial.

I also saw the Hershey's "Carol of the Bells" which I think is older, but both are up there in terms of longest running national commercial.

(I know there's some local one in...PA? that's a cartoon Santa in a sleight that's, like, 50 years old or something. But it's not national.)

I almost sort-of miss the Folgers "Peter!" commercial...so much better than creepy incest siblings. :stonk:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I finally saw the M&M's "They do exist!" commercial.

I also saw the Hershey's "Carol of the Bells" which I think is older, but both are up there in terms of longest running national commercial.

(I know there's some local one in...PA? that's a cartoon Santa in a sleight that's, like, 50 years old or something. But it's not national.)

I almost sort-of miss the Folgers "Peter!" commercial...so much better than creepy incest siblings. :stonk:

I think you're thinking of B.C. Clark from Oklahoma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LJBB65r-9o

Pretty sure the Hershey's bells one is from the late '80s because I remember having it on a VHS tape of Christmas TV specials from around 1989 or so. The visuals have been updated to CGI, but the original audio is still used. Tell you what, I kind of miss seeing the Honey Nut Cheerios commercial with the bee and Scrooge, and the Fruity Pebbles commercial with Barney dressed as Santa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk_hzRWDwIs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmsjffOOA4

Barney got the Pebbles without loving over Fred :unsmith:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I can already tell I'll be sick of whatever song Target licensed come mid-December. Not even a bad little number.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Can't wait to hear the awful Florida Lottery holiday scratch off game ads where they try to rewrite Jingle Bells. :suicide:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zeether posted:

Can't wait to hear the awful Florida Lottery holiday scratch off game ads where they try to rewrite Jingle Bells. :suicide:

Pennsylvania's got a holiday lottery commercial that's gotta be pushing 30 by now 22 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctj-3cjxVg0

They redo the audio every few years to reflect that it's not 1992 any more. Pretty sure a few of those people in it aren't alive any more.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 26, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh my, there is an awful commercial for one of those lovely Surface laptops comparing it to a MacBook. It sounds like some fatass that can't carry a tune is changing the words to Winter Wonderland on the fly and singing about how the MacBook can't do all this poo poo that nobody wants their laptop to do anyways. It's terrible.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79fdqgHKRA

Skeletor is selling us minivans and I just can't bring myself to hate it

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi7VHr_S_MQ

Awesome sauce!

I couldn't possibly kill this commercial enough.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah that commercial actually owns. The others in the series aren't nearly as good but they got Skeletor perfect there

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mahoning posted:

Oh my, there is an awful commercial for one of those lovely Surface laptops comparing it to a MacBook. It sounds like some fatass that can't carry a tune is changing the words to Winter Wonderland on the fly and singing about how the MacBook can't do all this poo poo that nobody wants their laptop to do anyways. It's terrible.

Describing a car wreck isn't nearly as good as slowing down to watch it yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5_CrXh227Q

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ElectricSheep posted:

Describing a car wreck isn't nearly as good as slowing down to watch it yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5_CrXh227Q

I love that their demo for writing with a pen is always just circling something or scribbling something, for some reason they never show the handwriting to text feature.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi7VHr_S_MQ

Awesome sauce!

I couldn't possibly kill this commercial enough.

No joke, I didn't know that this series of commercials featured different actors as the customer and the CSR until my sister said something to me about it. But I think the one you posted is the only one where they actually used twins, which I think is (part of) the joke.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hasters posted:

I love that their demo for writing with a pen is always just circling something or scribbling something, for some reason they never show the handwriting to text feature.

Also, why in gently caress's name would a kickstand be a positive feature for a laptop? Shouldn't it be able to support itself like every other goddamn laptop in existence? Also, the reason I don't have a simple Android tablet or iOS tablet is because I quite like to type on a keyboard, and they never seem to focus on the fact that the Surface keyboard looks like a piece of poo poo and probably works terribly in comparison. Apple uses really good laptop keyboards, a fact that I realized when I switched from a Zenbook to a Macbook Air.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vicas posted:

Yeah that commercial actually owns. The others in the series aren't nearly as good but they got Skeletor perfect there

Yeah it actually looks like Skeletor! I know Stretch Armstrong and GI Joe existed for a long time, but you figure in the ads that is appealing to 80s adults they would use those versions of the characters, not the 60s version where GIJoe is just a generic miltary guy and Strech is just in a speedo.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's got a kickstand! A feature you shouldn't need a laptop, because it's hinges should be able to support itself! You can write on it! except with like, your finger. Because that's how you write. With your fingers. Like a child. Finger painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

You Are A Elf posted:

Barney got the Pebbles without loving over Fred :unsmith:

Not for lack of trying though, the thieving son of a bitch.

Sash! posted:

Pennsylvania's got a holiday lottery commercial that's gotta be pushing 30 by now 22 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctj-3cjxVg0

They redo the audio every few years to reflect that it's not 1992 any more. Pretty sure a few of those people in it aren't alive any more.

They redid it 3 or 4 years ago, the guy who opens the window at the beginning and buys the tickets is different. It's easy to not notice though, I didn't notice until I saw the two different commercials on Youtube.

PT6A posted:

Also, why in gently caress's name would a kickstand be a positive feature for a laptop? Shouldn't it be able to support itself like every other goddamn laptop in existence? Also, the reason I don't have a simple Android tablet or iOS tablet is because I quite like to type on a keyboard, and they never seem to focus on the fact that the Surface keyboard looks like a piece of poo poo and probably works terribly in comparison. Apple uses really good laptop keyboards, a fact that I realized when I switched from a Zenbook to a Macbook Air.

There are lots of models of Android tablets that have keyboard docks and I'm pretty sure both Android and iOS will use USB and Bluetooth keyboards of all kinds, if that makes a difference. Still, I don't know why anyone would want to buy a Surface, do they still have a bunch of gimped mobile flavors of Windows 8 on the various Microsoft tablets or did they at least wise up beyond that?

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 27, 2014