Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Battle is a competitive strategy game for two or more Wizards and one Wizard Overseer, who runs the game. Dominate other Wizards in the field of Wizard Battle through your magical and mental might! Battle takes place over a series of turns in which Wizards privately perform their actions, all the while engaging in secret diplomacy with one another; cunning and ruthlessness will get you everywhere. All consequences are described simultaneously by the Overseer, as every Wizard can watch their fate - good or bad - unfold. But it's not set in stone, as time manipulating magics allow diabolical flexibility. Ultimately, at the end of the Wizard Battle, the Wizard not yet blown to pieces or driven insane wins access to the Wish spell and the title of #1 Wizard!

Features:

• Outwit your opponents for the title of #1 Wizard and access to the Wish spell.
  • Game-play completable in 30 to 60 minutes.
  • Easily playable anywhere, including online, because there are no physical pieces.
  • Time travel to previous turns to change your actions.
  • Diplomatic gameplay where you make or break alliances as you need.
  • Optional rules to mix things up further, including a multi-game Wizard Tournament.
  • Playable against Satan for the rights to your immortal soul.

Basic Rules posted:

Wizard Battle is a game for two or more Wizards and a single Wizard Overseer, who runs the game. Each Wizard should state his or her name (e.g. Shayla the Powerful, X'thul'malrn, Bob from Evil Accounting) and give a hint to their personality (e.g. “Shayla is arrogant and hates accountants.”) During Wizard Battle, play takes place in a series of turns. A normal length Wizard Battle would take 10 turns, while a short Wizard Battle would take 5 turns and a long Wizard Battle would take 20 turns. There can be as many turns as decided by the Wizard Overseer before the game begins.
All Wizards start with 0 damage and can receive positive damage – harm – and negative damage – healing. The winner of a Wizard Battle is the Wizard with the lowest damage after all turns are completed. In the event of a tie for lowest damage, the tying Wizards can either agree to a tie, or declare a magical deathmatch in which the Wizard Battle continues only for the tying Wizards until they are no longer tied.
Every turn, each Wizard writes down his or her name and a single action, then gives it to the Wizard Overseer, who uses these actions to determine what happens. Available actions are split between Spells (pg. 7) and Not Spells (pg. 13). Spells are further split between Offensive Spells, Defensive Spells, and Utility Spells. These classifications matter for the effects of certain actions. The Wizard Overseer should keep a log (pg. 25) of what originally happens for every action, along with any changes, as the powers of Wizards can change things, including what happened in the past!
After the Wizard Overseer logs the events, it is his or her job to describe them and their consequences back to the battling Wizards. At minimum, the Wizard Overseer should begin by naming all original actions of the turn, then declaring results, and finally indicating all changes to a Wizard's damage. An example of this can be found under Example Play (pg. 27). Wizards are free to give their own unique spins on what happened after a turn's results are revealed (e.g. “X'thul'malrn launched a bolt of lightning at Bob, burning his expensive suit.”).
This process is repeated until all turns have been completed, signifying the end of the Wizard Battle.

Terms posted:

Action: A Wizard's decision for what to do on a turn. All actions are Spells or Not Spells.
Cast: Performing a Spell as an action.
Damage: Determines the winner of Wizard Battle; lowest damage at the end wins.
Defensive Spell: An action listed under Defensive Spells. All Defensive Spells are Spells.
Negative Damage: Reduces a Wizard's damage. Counts as damage. Also referred to as healing.
Next Turn: The turn immediately after the current turn.
Not Spell: An action listed under Not Spells; not affected by Spells that only affect other Spells.
Offensive Spell: An action listed under Offensive Spells. All Offensive Spells are Spells.
Original Action: The action submitted by a Wizard to the Wizard Overseer.
Other Wizard: A Wizard that is not yourself.
Prevent: Stops damage and negative damage from being received.
Previous Turn: Any turn that took place before the current turn.
Prior: The turn immediately before the current turn.
Receive: The gaining of damage or negative damage.
Result (Final Action): The action performed by a Wizard after all actions have been submitted.
Reveal: When the Wizard Overseer shows a turn's original and final actions.
Spell: An action listed under Spells; affected by Spells that only affect other Spells.
Target: The Wizard you select to be affected by an action.
Turn: Indicates when actions are taking place. Important for Manipulate Time.
Utility Spell: An action listed under Utility Spells. All Utility Spells are Spells.
Wizard: A player in a game of Wizard Battle. Also really cool.
Wizard Battle: A competition to determine the most powerful Wizard out of a group.
Wizard Overseer: The person running a game of Wizard Battle. Also incredibly amazing.

Available Actions posted:

Offensive Spells
Fireball: All other Wizards receive 1 damage. Negative damage is prevented this turn.
Seeking Blast: Target Wizard receives 2 damage. The damage cannot be prevented.
Lightning Bolt: Target Wizard receives 3 damage.
M.A.D.: Target Wizard receives 4 damage. You receive 2 damage next turn.
Share Pain: Target Wizard receives damage equal to the damage you received the prior turn.
Defensive Spells
Shield: Damage you receive this turn is prevented.
Heal: Target Wizard receives -2 damage.
Invisibility: Next turn, you cannot be the target of any action except Seeking Blast. Next turn, your action will not be revealed.
Counter Spell: If target other Wizard casts a Spell this turn, his or her final action becomes Fizzle.
Leech Life: Target Wizard receives 1 damage. You receive -1 damage next turn.
Utility Spells
Manipulate Time: Select a previous turn. Change your original action from that turn.
Predict Defense: If target Wizard casts a Defensive Spell this turn, you receive -3 damage.
Punish Offense: If target Wizard casts an Offensive Spell this turn, that Wizard's target becomes his or herself.
Twin Damage: All damage you receive this turn is doubled. All damage you deal next turn is doubled.
Stutter: Target other Wizard's final action this turn becomes that Wizard's original action from the prior turn.
Not Spells
Fizzle: Does nothing.
Stab: All Wizards that cast Counter Spell or Stutter this turn receive 2 damage.
Rest: You receive -1 damage.

Will take anywhere from 4 to 8 Wizards. 48 hours per turn. 10 turn Wizard Battle.

Turns:
Turn 1
Turn 2
Turn 3
Turn 4
Turn 5
Turn 6
Turn 7
Turn 8
Turn 9
Turn 10

Wizard (Player): Damage #

Totally normal North American housecat (Epsilon Plus): 6
#1 Wizard Mills (Mills): 5
Mickey Louse (Ernie.): 14
Masseter the Myoidic (Somberbrero): 14
POPOPOLIS the GEOCITIESMANCER (Gabriel Pope): 7
Callahan, master of wizardry, ghosts & goblins & such (oldskool): 15
Jibbles the Beardomancer (Baron Fuzzlewhack): 11
Supreme Cogblight (Kellsterik): 12
MARIANUS, LORD OF THE DEEP (Bendigeidfran): 7

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I will be a wizard. The most wizardly of wizards.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

#1 Wizard Mills

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

in

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Bump for more wizards.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Gonna wage some Wiz-War.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm always up for a good wizarding.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Sign me up.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm down for this.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'll.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
I will be the best of all wizards.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

step back, motherfuckers
or i'll show you the righteous anger of the omnipresent mantra 'the magic of disney'

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
That's 9 wizards, I'll just run it as 9.

Everyone playing, please announce your Wizard Name in this thread. I will start the game tomorrow.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mickey Louse reporting for duty.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
edit: Wait wait, I changed my mind.

I'm Masseter the Myoidic. Masseter is the last remaining disciple of the Buffomancy school. Masseter can use his muscle mass as a direct channel to the aether, meaning he only needs to manipulate his own physical energy to cast spells and does not have to rely upon tearing the veil that separates the physical and magical planes.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 25, 2014

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
the Supreme Cogblight is a dark mirror of the hubristic mechanomancers who conjured him. He craves gemstones, goblets, and pellets of all kinds.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 25, 2014

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

#1 Wizard Mills

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

MARIANUS, LORD OF THE DEEP

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Two thing I want to note real quick:

This will be a 10 turn Wizard Battle

&

The first deadline will be a bit longer (On Saturday instead of Friday) to facilitate those doing thanksgiving/black friday stuff. Deadlines will return to normal 48 hours afterwards.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TREMBLE, MORTALS, and bask ye in the radiant splendor of POPOPOLIS the GEOCITIESMANCER.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mad Rancher posted:

The first deadline will be a bit longer (On Saturday instead of Friday) to facilitate those doing thanksgiving/black friday stuff. Deadlines will return to normal 48 hours afterwards.

this seems like an awfully long time to type out a PM consisting of the word "fireball"

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Callahan, master of wizardry, ghosts & goblins & such.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Gabriel Pope posted:

this seems like an awfully long time to type out a PM consisting of the word "fireball"

Hey, if everyone gets them in early, more power to them! I can always end the turn early if everyone submits.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Jibbles the Beardomancer. Don't ask for a moustache, his craft is not so... refined.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Epsilon Plus, a totally normal North American housecat, definitely doesn't have any reality-warping magical powers. Absolutely cannot conjure fire, affect the flow of time, etc. Real cute though! Scratch my belly.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Just gonna open action submission early. Get those Wizard Spells (or Not Spells) in, via PM please. oldskool, I'll need your email.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

discountcleric at gmail
and why did I never get platinum

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
To those questioning diplomacy: Yes, of course you can secretly discuss stuff via PM.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Oh poo poo what.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I am one of those questioning diplomacy, feel free to PM me and I'll tell you a cool secret!

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I am, lazily, on PMs also.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I question Diplomacy and how it can break friendships. It's ink and cardboard, guys.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Turn 1

It's turn 1, ladies and gentlemen, and it's off to a roaring start! Callahan, master of wizardry, ghosts & goblins & such, Jibbles the Beardomancer, and Supreme Cogblight work their individual magics to collectively become Invisible while Masseter the Myoidic and POPOPOLIS the GEOCITIESMANCER unleash devastating Fireballs. With quick thinking, Mickey Louse throws up a shield. Not so quick thinking #1 Wizard Mills tries to Punish Offense Masster, but the Fireball refuses to be redirected. Speaking of those on the slow side, A totally normal North American housecat correctly predicts Mickey's shielding by using Predict Defense, but the cat-like reflexes still can't dodge the Fireball. MARIANUS, LORD OF THE DEEP has an electrifying idea and shows it to Masster in the form of a Lightning Bolt, who isn't pleased.

Total Damage:

Totally normal North American housecat (Epsilon Plus): 2
#1 Wizard Mills (Mills): 2
Mickey Louse (Ernie.): 0
Masseter the Myoidic (Somberbrero): 4
POPOPOLIS the GEOCITIESMANCER (Gabriel Pope): 1
Callahan, master of wizardry, ghosts & goblins & such (oldskool): 2
Jibbles the Beardomancer (Baron Fuzzlewhack): 2
Supreme Cogblight (Kellsterik): 2
MARIANUS, LORD OF THE DEEP (Bendigeidfran): 2

It is now Turn 2. Deadline is Saturday, the 29th, at 11 PM EST

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 28, 2014

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I have lost the battle to a dubiously worded spell. Alas.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Also I see now that my greatest failure was simply failing to cast fireball like everyone else. :)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Mills posted:

I have lost the battle to a dubiously worded spell. Alas.

Fireball does not have a target, and therefore is not affected by Punish Offense.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I feel like you should put that in errata somewhere if you release an updated version (unless I missed it). My 2c as #1 Wizard.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Mills posted:

I feel like you should put that in errata somewhere if you release an updated version (unless I missed it). My 2c as #1 Wizard.

It is under Specific Rulings for Fireball, in the book.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Fair enough! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
By the way, Wizard Battle is 10% off for Black Friday only, to drum up some initial hype.

• Locked thread