Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Ddraig posted:

They're in configs\creatures

I know they should be, but they're just not. Very odd. configs/weapons has ltx files for all the weapons, but the only files in /creatures are actor, gamerelations, and m_stalker. Should add that I'm using Arsenal Overhaul now. Just odd, I'll jump back in the game and see if I can just fight through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If the mod doesn't have those folders, it's still using the vanilla versions in the gamedata.db files.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Ddraig posted:

If the mod doesn't have those folders, it's still using the vanilla versions in the gamedata.db files.

And IIRC modifying those requires a new game. Welp. Thanks for helping me figure out where they're hidden at least.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Vorenus posted:

I started CS Complete before I give TFW a run, the invisible=invincible bloodsucker mechanic is new for me. I'm still in the swamps and woke form a nap to find two bloodsuckers under the roof I was perched on. Try as I might, I can't put them both down without dying.
If you were sleeping outside a camp that is the problem. You can only sleep safely inside a factions camp. Anywhere else will result in death no matter how high off the ground you were.

Dvsilverwing posted:

Oh, so they hate it because it's lovely.
No they hate it because the mod is in fact lovely, full of lovely "features" and lies. The hamster reference was a figure of speech.

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 24, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Yeah I learned that quickly. I did manage to be a bit clever, in the Swamps by the northern Cordon entrance I managed to get up on the very top roof beams of a building where the suckers couldn't get me. Pretty sure a Chimera could pull it off though.

Not clever enough, managed to piss off the railway bridge stalkers by getting too close. Guess my only option is to kill them, good thing AO has scoped rifles. :getin:

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 25, 2014

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

There was also the issue that you're made of paper, and everyone else is made of cardboard. You can shoot unarmed bandits directly in the head and they will not die. Again, luck of the draw.

Sounds like you don't know how to play shooters based on realism, scrublord :smug:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
What does getting XP/levels do in the faction wars mod?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

AHungryRobot posted:

What does getting XP/levels do in the faction wars mod?

You get a choice between two perks. The first one is a choice between seeing the health of Stalkers or mutants when you mouse over them or hit them, and the second one is being able to see stalkers/mutants within 25m on your minimap.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Robot Randy posted:

You get a choice between two perks. The first one is a choice between seeing the health of Stalkers or mutants when you mouse over them or hit them, and the second one is being able to see stalkers/mutants within 25m on your minimap.

Huh. I don't remember the game ever giving me the option to choose a perk. I'm only at level 2 I think though. Does it not happen until a certain level or am I missing something? I'm using the lasest version too.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I asked before, does anyone have a link to the Faction Wars mod? I'm assuming it's different from Faction Fronts listed in the OP.

e: Clear Sky Complete crapped out on me in Limansk and I'm rarely able to load a save and crash shortly thereafter if I do. Looking to try something different.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Here you go:

https://www.mediafire.com/?k7fk9i32dcc14el

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

MadBimber posted:

Sounds like you don't know how to play shooters based on realism, scrublord :smug:

Yeah, popping a bandit square between the eyes must do absolutely nothing realistically. Lincoln faked his death, Stalker proves it!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, popping a bandit square between the eyes must do absolutely nothing realistically. Lincoln faked his death, Stalker proves it!

They weren't carrying the 'brain' personal item. You can find it in stashes sometimes, usually paired with the soiled underwear.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The analogy someone mentioned for misery 2.0 that all the enemies are playing on Very Easy difficulty and you're playing on Very Hard difficulty is pretty much spot on. Anything you could say about the mod related to realism is bullshit because the human enemies just don't work the same way you do. You have to play by realism rules, they get to play by videogame rules.

I remember reading the mod's director saying something about how he thought there should be progression in terms of what you can fight early on so you'd have to hunt mutants or whatever before you could fight harder enemies (as opposed to vanilla stalker where bullets fired by the player actually do nonzero amounts of damage to things that aren't hamsters). In the same paragraph he was also going on about realism and I don't even know what the gently caress. My bullets do nothing because videogames, but enemy bullets kill me instantly because realism. Even if I crush them under the weight of a legion of quickloads, spend my entire bank account repairing one of their very own guns, and use it against them, I still don't kill what I shoot.

You can't have this kind of forced progression where you have to start out only fighting easier enemies until you work your way up to take on the big dudes because the game is free-roaming and has no problem spawning bloodsuckers out of your ears right in the first area. Even if that did somehow work, once you finally get better armor and weapons, you still feel like the entire world is playing on a different difficulty setting than you.

gently caress I'm so loving mad about this videogame mod

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 27, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
How about 10 different variants of an IED to cheer you up?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Worn Undergarments (No Skids) [75 RU]

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I collect jars full of sand and pennies in Misery 2.1.1, except when you look down, you discover that they are actually human teeth.

Gold human teeth.

I stalk through the reeds and hunt the most dangerous creature of all in the Zone: Man.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I collect jars full of sand and pennies in Misery 2.1.1, except when you look down, you discover that they are actually human teeth.

Gold human teeth.

I stalk through the reeds and hunt the most dangerous creature of all in the Zone: Man.

Wait, what? They're literally labeled "Jar of Teeth".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I collect reams of soiled white cloth in Misery 2.1.1, except when you hold them in your hand, you discover that they are dirty diapers.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

How about 10 different variants of an IED to cheer you up?

Be honest, you meant ten different variants of soiled underwear.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MadBimber posted:

Be honest, you meant ten different variants of soiled underwear.

What do you think the chemical IEDs are made from?

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

fennesz posted:

I asked before, does anyone have a link to the Faction Wars mod? I'm assuming it's different from Faction Fronts listed in the OP.

e: Clear Sky Complete crapped out on me in Limansk and I'm rarely able to load a save and crash shortly thereafter if I do. Looking to try something different.

This is a known bug, iirc the "fix" is to reload from before Limansk, go back in and ignore the wounded guys up by the fountain, just advance straight into the ambush and all will be peachy again :) Remember to save after the ambush, of course.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

The same thread that said Misery felt like the NPC's and players were on different difficulty settings enjoys The Faction War? Maybe it's just me, but when I put 3 rounds of 45 from an SMG into some Duty guys head I expect him to die, not ignore it as a single shotgun pellet takes off a massive chunk of my health.

The concept is pretty awesome though, faction based squad warfare and all.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

To be completely fair, I think SGM is a steaming pile of dogshit, too. I installed SGM 1.8(?) and encountered some boars at the very beginning of the game. I hopped on a rock so that they stuck around but couldn't harm me, and proceeded to mag-dump the AKSU that I spawned with into one of their heads. It easily took 100+ rounds before the creature died from its own laughter. Things didn't really get any better from there. But still, people will recommend that turd with a straight face.

With the exception of maybe LURK (RIP LURK v1.2) there's a lot of "sponginess" and bullshit difficulty humps in most STALKER mods. I guess the mistake that Misery made was trying to sell itself as "hyper realistic", even though it's still probably one of the least spongy mods I've had the misery of playing.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Monolith. posted:

So I keep this weird crash in LEGENDARY after getting the embankment quest and going by the car park.

FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression : assertion failed
[error]Function : xrServer::Process_event_ownership
[error]File : E:\stalker\sources\trunk\xr_3da\xrGame\xrServer_process_event_ownership.cpp
[error]Line : 23
[error]Description : e_parent

Mercs and some scientists dudes are dukeing it out and it always seems to happen after I pick up a bunch of weapons and then trade them. Any light on the subject would be good but I'll see if I can figure out what is going on.

Late response, but try downgrading to patch 1.0005. Apparently 1.0006 has weapon ownership issues.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Misery really likes to paint itself as the ultimate realism simulator but it's as if none of them have any experience with owning a human body, let alone being involved in any kind of situation even remotely comparable to the Zone. I'm guessing they haven't even been camping.

Misery had the default max awake time for the assaulter, who can stay awake the least, as FOUR DAYS. Apparently the Assault class can operate at maximum peak efficiency for four drat days, all the while in a radioactive hellhole where everything is trying to kill him and they even say, in their god drat flavour text, that the Zone literally saps away the strength of the strongest people. I think the Sniper could stay awake for nearly seven days.

I'm a bit of an insomniac but even after a day of doing nothing and sitting on my rear end I feel pretty lovely if I don't get some sleep, I can't imagine doing the same thing as you'd do in Misery for that long without collapsing.

The 'toxicity' mentioned from eating mutant meat... is radioactivity and increased tiredness. Up to very recent patches getting too much 'toxicity' would crash your game as the forced sleep would cause the game to crash.

Not to mention the equipment and such is completely out of whack with what people in supposedly harsh, lovely economies with very little money/resources would actually have. I mean, they even make a point of comparing the Zone and the current state it's in as the result of a harsh economic downturn around the world, yet they haven't even done the most basic research on the kind of solutions people came up with during similar times. Maybe they could read a history book about the Great Depression? That was a time when people were genuinely hurting for everything, and the things they used were rather ingenious. Makeshift cooking stoves made from rubbing alcohol and tin cans etc.

Yet everyone in the Zone, when they cook, has to buy a relatively expensive butane cooker that uses a fuel that is very hard to get hold of in great quantities in the Zone when apparently everyone and their mother is downing vodka and other cheap alcohol that could very easily be used instead.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really feel like most of these are valid criticisms of the mod, itself, beyond "[mechanic] is supposed to be realistic but it actually isn't." If you divorce the idea that the developers wanted Misery to be an ultra-gritty realistic mod from the mod itself--and honestly, when I'm playing a STALKER mod (or any mod for that matter), I don't give two squirts of piss about what they wanted to accomplish, especially when "realism" and "fictional zone full of mutants" exist in the same sentence--suddenly most of what you just wrote doesn't really matter. The mod is challenging. Arbitrarily so, like many STALKER mods. The mod imposes mechanics on you that may not make a lot of sense...like most STALKER mods. The mod has a steeper climb before reaching the "godlike" hump than most STALKER mods--but it's still there. The mod has issues--both bugs and mechanically--that can be "fixed" with community mods...like many STALKER mods (OGSE's Turrets, for example).

But from the way you whine endlessly about it, it's like we played completely different mods. It's seriously not the crime against humanity that you make it out to be, nor is it as difficult as some people seem to think it is. The "Alpha Squads", buggy mines (that didn't always go away when you turned them off) and bulletsponges from SGM were exponentially worse than anything Misery throws at you, optional or no. Personally, the infamous "cave section" at the start of NS is considerably worse than all of my gripes with Misery, combined.

Frankly, almost every STALKER mod I've come across is flawed in a variety of ways--that's really the charm of STALKER mods, in a perverse way. But it's just loving weird how people have fixated on this one mod with their complaints--complaints that could be directed at any number of other mods (but aren't) for some bizarre reason.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 28, 2014

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

But from the way you whine endlessly about it, it's like we played completely different mods. It's seriously not the crime against humanity that you make it out to be, nor is it as difficult as some people seem to think it is. The "Alpha Squads", buggy mines (that didn't always go away when you turned them off) and bulletsponges from SGM were exponentially worse than anything Misery throws at you, optional or no. Personally, the infamous "cave section" at the start of NS is considerably worse than all of my gripes with Misery, combined.

Disclaimer: I played Misery 2 when it first came out and left it, so my comments are based on that. Dunno if any of the updated versions solve these issues, and if they do, please feel free to call me a twit.

My big issue with Misery is that its flaws pervade the entire atmosphere. The flaws you just described with SGM are definitely there, and your comments are totally legitimate, but those are confined to the combat portion of STALKER (which, I admit, is a big part, but I digress) whereas Misery's whole system is broken: scores of items that clutter up the game, a broken economy, and so on. With most mods, the flaws are in the mechanics they introduce--all the new content that SGM adds is done in a buggy, slapdash way, for example--but the Misery devs sought to remake STALKER from the ground up. In doing so, they made a mod that broke a lot of STALKER's mechanics. I can understand wanting some extra difficulty, but there's a fine line between difficulty and bullshit, and I don't think Misery walks that line very well.

Realism is definitely not to be taken too seriously in a world where anomalies, artifacts and mutants exist, but I don't think a lot of grievances with Misery are about whether or not it's realistic. I think a lot of people (including myself) bitch because Misery tries to be challenging without understanding how to be challenging, and ends up coming up being bullshit-difficult instead of understandable-difficult as a result. I fully expect to have a hard time in a STALKER game, but when I die I want to die for a reason, and not because some NPC halfway across the map one-shotted me before I could lay eyes on him, or because the medkit I used while fighting a mutant took time to recover my health in any meaningful amount. If a game wants to ignore realism, fine, but if it's going to ignore realism then it should concentrate on being fun. Misery is not fun.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The only thing i didnt like about misery is the cost to buy some items, mainly suits, the damage you take from anomalies, and the health that mutants had. Also the AKM doesn't have working animations for some reason.

I never had any issues with people not dying when they get shot. A bandit hit in the head with a makarov always killed them for me. Now, shooting a bandit obviously wearing a sunrise suit in the chest? Yeah, he doesn't die very quickly from a makarov, but a dude in a rain coat will. And the same applies to you, when your running around in your jacket you take a shitload of damage, but once you upgrade to actual body armor and add some kevlar plates into the artifact slots, dudes with pistols/ak's and the like start having trouble doing actual damage to you. You'll still get slowed down when they hit you but most of the time i lost barely any health from them.'

The repair costs from the mechanics was to incentive's you to use the repair tools, which were magnitudes cheaper than repairing/buying a new gun, and i thought that was cool. Yeah, the game could of got rid of alot of the clutter items but that doesn't really affect anything IMO.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 28, 2014

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Misery isn't even all that difficult, it's just tedious. That's my biggest problem with it. loving everything takes way longer than it should, from simple things like eating a protein bar to putting an artifact into a container.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Misery could have been so drat good. They had a load of neat ideas, but they implemented them in pretty much the worst way possible.

If you were to look dispassionately at the features Misery touts, it should be an amazing mod... as it stands, the whole is way less than the sum of its parts and it's just a disjointed mess that is all over the place with arbitrary restrictions on things that make very little sense.

Reading the statistics script they clearly had planned 'levels' the player would be able to obtain, based on progress in game, and presumably at one point they balanced the game around that concept, but then decided to scrap it completely and probably just made it constantly at the zero state throughout the game which is why it never really feels like you're progressing because even the top level gear suffers from the same problems the standard stuff does and it's just a case of "Do you want this suit to be damaged beyond repair in 10 seconds rather than 2"? etc.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

i get that no matter what Misery is going to be someone's hill to defend, but doing so by trying to point out other flaws in other mods as a reason why Misery is ok is loving stupid. Same as reading "realism" as literal. Sure the game isn't real and there's lots of fantasy crap, but realism is a term, not a literal meaning.

I've played a lot of mods for Stalker, lots suck, a few are decent...Misery sucked all the drat fun and desire to play away.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

i get that no matter what Misery is going to be someone's hill to defend, but doing so by trying to point out other flaws in other mods as a reason why Misery is ok is loving stupid. Same as reading "realism" as literal. Sure the game isn't real and there's lots of fantasy crap, but realism is a term, not a literal meaning.

I've played a lot of mods for Stalker, lots suck, a few are decent...Misery sucked all the drat fun and desire to play away.

My point was mostly that "many of these same complaints could be leveled at other mods that nobody seems to mention, but certainly seem to enjoy". And the whole realism thing was in reference to Ddraig's post which (I love you buddy, but) was basically all about how unrealistic it was. I'm not sure how you misunderstood that in my post, when I quoted his post in my own post.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 28, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Misery specifically mentions that it's going for realism. This is one of the main features listed in pretty much every single press release they've ever done.

So the question is: What reality? If it's the reality where the Zone does all kind of freaky poo poo that will explain inconsistencies, then why try to ground it in our external reality. If it's trying to make an accurate realistic comparison with the real world, then they've certainly done very little to actually research it.

e: I could give them the benefit of the doubt and suggest they're maybe going for magic realism, but given the type of explanations the developers have given for the decisions in the past I doubt they'd have a good grasp of what that is exactly.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 28, 2014

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My point was mostly that "many of these same complaints could be leveled at other mods that nobody seems to mention, but certainly seem to enjoy". And the whole realism thing was in reference to Ddraig's post which (I love you buddy, but) was basically all about how unrealistic it was. I'm not sure how you misunderstood that in my post, when I quoted his post in my own post.

He might be attacking realism right now, but man, as a mod and mod team, Misery is pretty lovely. That they blatantly lie about features and refuse to fix bugs, to me, is a far bigger issue than "Oh hey this feature is dumb".

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
Arsenal Overhaul 2.4 was just released: http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul/downloads

quote:

Changelog:

New Features:
- First game engine enhancements using the CoP source code by Swartz and K.D
- Thirst introduced, the player will now need to eat and drink.
- Stamina is dependent on 3 factors; hunger, thirst and weight carried.
- Actor shadow enabled (off by default, type "r__actor_shadow 1" to enable in game)
- Field of View (FOV) can now be changed through the console (press ~ and type "fov 75")
- Higher CPU priority assigned to the game automatically
- Persistent ragdolls (bodies pile up on each other)
- Fixed sun movement
- Updated nvapi
- Included prefetch mod (less stutter, longer load times)
- New hand models
- Night vision goggles

Weapon Changes:
- New pistol models
- New ejecting shells
- Pistols now have separate sounds and animations for empty and partial reloads
- Introduced .40 S&W caliber weapons
- 12 new weapons
- 6 new ammunition types
- New weapon sounds
- Added attachable PU scope for SVT-40, SKS & MN91
- Added attachable 1P29 scope for AKM, AKMS, AK-74M, AK-101, AK-103, AK-104, AK-105, AK-47, 9A-91 & SR-3M
- New scope overlay for G36
- New scope overlay for M95, WA2000 & TRG
- Dynamic zoom added for M95 scope and Gauss RIfle
- Fixed upgrade icons for certain weapons

Traders:
- Nimble is now a trader. All of Nimble's unique weapons, suits and ammo can be purchased through a regular trader interface.
- Shulga (Duty commander) is now a trader that sells Warsaw Pact weaponry
- Loki (Freedom commander) is now a trader that sells NATO weaponry
- Trapper is now a trader that sells hunting gear

Food Overhaul:
- Added beans, chilli, MRE, trail mix, tuna, chocolate, beef jerky, beef stew, tushonka, crackers, smoked sausage, boar meat, chimera meat,
- Added beer, jaguar, ten strike, burn

New Suits:
- Berserker suit
- Monolith SEVA suit
- Hunters suit

New Weapons:
- UMP-40
- MP5/40
- Glock 35
- Beretta 96
- Browning HP .40 S&W
- Walther P99 .40 S&W
- P226
- USP-40
- AK-101
- G3SG/1
- 9A-91
- StG 58

New Ammunition:
- 7.62x54R JSP
- 9x39 Hollow Point
- 5.45x39 7N24
- .40 S&W FMJ
- .40 S&W JHP
- #2 Buckshot

Model Replacements:
G36, UMP, Glock, AK-47, AK-103, AK-104, AK-105, AK-74M, CZ-75, Browning HP, PM, PMM, PB, Fort-12, TT33, Beretta, Colt 1911 & PKM

New console commands:
r__actor_shadow 1 - enables player shadow in game
fov 75 - changes in game FOV

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Awesome additions to AO, it looks like, might reinstall the new version to check it out.

Also, as for my previous post about The Faction Wars, are you guys using any other mods in conjunction with it? The idea, like I said, is AWESOME, the whole revamped factions fighting each other is cool as hell, but the combat feels like poo poo, would probably sink a ton of time into that mod if it wasn't for that.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Ddraigs working on integrating arsenal overhaul into it but other than that I'm not sure what mods work with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Dvsilverwing posted:

Awesome additions to AO, it looks like, might reinstall the new version to check it out.

Also, as for my previous post about The Faction Wars, are you guys using any other mods in conjunction with it? The idea, like I said, is AWESOME, the whole revamped factions fighting each other is cool as hell, but the combat feels like poo poo, would probably sink a ton of time into that mod if it wasn't for that.

I'm wandering around TFW with a fully upgraded sniper rifle and an exo suit. And it feels good. But yeah, none of the other guns are really notable, shotguns seem to lack the punch to clear rooms let alone clear out mutants.

Instead I've just been shooting the sniper rifle from the hip and taking cover, one shot kills pretty much anyone.

I wish TFW was ported to Lost Alpha, more maps more bases!