Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Volkerball posted:

That's a scroll today I think, but who knows, cause his was clearly something ancient. Probably Rogers Rangers or Mosby's Raiders or something.

These references did not go unappreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I had to reference my loving myspace. 02-08. It was the last class Sergeant Eddie ever did.

Crazy Eddie or Big Eddie?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

8lbsofanalsex posted:

Crazy Eddie or Big Eddie?

I think Crazy Eddie. The huskier looking one who ran long distance in college and ran us all into the loving ground. Not the one who looked like he should be on the cover of mens fitness magazine. He went out with a bang. Woke us up at 2 in the morning once with a leafblower and a headlamp. I about pissed myself. Didn't make the class get up and lay outside in the cold or anything. Just bored on staff duty, thought he'd swing through and say hello.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I think Crazy Eddie. The huskier looking one who ran long distance in college and ran us all into the loving ground. Not the one who looked like he should be on the cover of mens fitness magazine. He went out with a bang. Woke us up at 2 in the morning once with a leafblower and a headlamp. I about pissed myself. Didn't make the class get up and lay outside in the cold or anything. Just bored on staff duty, thought he'd swing through and say hello.

Crazy Eddie was the short pale brunette one from 1st bat and Big Eddie was the tall dark skinned brunette one from 3rd bat. Heard stories of Crazy Eddie giving himself stress fractures in his shins leading the 6 miler road march and took the class up and down cardiac hill 3 times just to drag it out and make more people quit even though it caused him to injure himself.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

8lbsofanalsex posted:

Crazy Eddie was the short pale brunette one from 1st bat and Big Eddie was the tall dark skinned brunette one from 3rd bat. Heard stories of Crazy Eddie giving himself stress fractures in his shins leading the 6 miler road march and took the class up and down cardiac hill 3 times just to drag it out and make more people quit even though it caused him to injure himself.

Definitely Crazy Eddie. He's the one who led most of the runs and all the ruck marches. He wouldn't even look back. He'd just take off as fast as he could, and you better stick with him or you're wrong. That sounds like some poo poo he'd do.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
8lbs I hope you got to experience some Fader as well. I had him in RIP in 04, then he was teaching my pre-Ranger around Jan of 06, though, and I think he went back to a normal batt after that. Dude was a humongous rear end in a top hat and intimidating as hell. He was behind me once when they told us to drop in RIP, so i drop as quick as possible and accidentally scuff his mirror shined jungle boots with my boot. I looked at him thinking I as gonna die and just go "uh, I didn't know you were there sergeant!" And he just looks at me like he wants to throttle me in the face, shakes his head and just goes "...keep fuckin' pushing."

He also had the best cadences on runs during cole range, though. That's the first time I head whirl whirl twist and twirl.

Edit: photothread, so have a picture of a dog.

This is Gizmo. Gizmo liked biting Hajis. He's a pretty awesome dog but getting pretty old now, about 10 or 11 I think, so he doesn't work anymore as far as I know. I got to see him at the 2nd Batt 40th Anniversary BBQ they did last month.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 27, 2014

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My Guard (06-07) deployment had two Vietnam Vets in it. One was an E5 who had been drafted back in Nam, served a year with Americal Division in country, then did a few more years and got out. Came back as a Guardsman later. My base commander in theater was a full bird who was SF back in the day, and story goes, retired but was called back up (probably offered tons of cash or something). Dude gave no fucks and used materials for guard point improvement to build a driving range.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2ucr74YNk

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Danish light RECCE during exercise Night Hawk this year.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Mike-o posted:

i've seen unicorns but i've never seen a CWO5

Had a CWO5 in my old Reserve unit; was a nice guy who knew his poo poo up / down / left / right. Also had a few Vietnam vets in there too for the first 4-5 years I was in. Those dudes were chill too.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

If some of you fuckers are nerd like me and love to people talk about useless poo poo I recomend Hardcore History he is right now doing WWI, his episodes are long as gently caress and after a while his new episodes become premium.

Its so good I feel awful and miserable after listening to one.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

ElMaligno posted:

If some of you fuckers are nerd like me and love to people talk about useless poo poo I recomend Hardcore History he is right now doing WWI, his episodes are long as gently caress and after a while his new episodes become premium.

I like WWI. Gonna listen to this while getting poo poo faced and working on finals.

edit: well this was a bad idea. Now I want to change this script-writing project to the assassination of Franz Ferdinand.

edit2: nevermind, now he's explaining how he'd script it if it was a movie.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 29, 2014

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't know much about WW1 other than what I learned in college history and that it would've been miserable to fight in. When dudes would bullshit about which war they would want to fight in, WW2 was always first and WW1 was usually last.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

https://vine.co/v/On1x6iUuwxK

If you look closely you can see the guy on the ground trip the cop.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Zeris posted:

https://vine.co/v/On1x6iUuwxK

If you look closely you can see the guy on the ground trip the cop.

they are very highly trained offic.....hhaha nevermind

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Hardcore History is a great podcast. The Mongol series is also solid.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slim Pickens posted:

Don't know much about WW1 other than what I learned in college history and that it would've been miserable to fight in. When dudes would bullshit about which war they would want to fight in, WW2 was always first and WW1 was usually last.

This is Fort Douaurmont at the start of the Battle of Verdun.

On the first day of the day of the battle the Germans with the help of 808 guns would lunch approximately 1,000,000 shells in a period of 10 hours. Thats 100,000 shells per hour, 1,667 shells per minute, 28 shells per second.

Same fort as above after the battle.

This is modern day Verdun.

No I would never want to fight in WWI.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

Funny this gets brought up; I've been rooting through as much WW1 stuff as I can for the past two-three weeks. So far, I've got two series that I've stuck with. One that was very good & one that looks promising.

The very good - but is only in black and white being the early 60's series from the BBC. Fantastic in that interviews are had with WW1 vets who were obviously there but are still around to tell about their experiences. Note this isn't a BBC Youtube channel, but someone who pasted them all up there (and thank goodness that they did).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXhiagFG8KE&list=PLwn22WhrrUFMg65XgPicFBfYgHj7Xpcdn

The "looks promising." - The Great War Channel which intends to break it down week by week from 1914 to 1918 and post corresponding videos on the respective week from 2014 to 2018. Grand in scope, I'll be interested if it can maintain its steam and make it through four solid years of the subject.
The Great War

Not to downplay our wars of today, but WW1 was a meat grinder on a whole higher level than I think we could ever comprehend today, if at all.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Not to downplay our wars of today, but WW1 was a meat grinder on a whole higher level than I think we could ever comprehend today, if at all.

The Russians would routinely sacrifice entire divisions to cover their retreat.

In May 1915, the Germans launched a small-ish attack on the Polish front at a couple places called Gorlice and Tarnów. The Russians instantly collapsed, losing as many as 400,000 soldiers dead in a month. Before the end of the fighting season, they would suffer a total of 1.5 million casualties, with the Germans losing a "mere" 200,000 dead.

So yeah, you're right, I don't think we really can understand what that looks like these days. At least, not that many dead in such a short time. WWI produced literal piles of skulls, much like this one:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

ElMaligno posted:

And that's not just one little section, the entire battlefield is like that. The moment you step into the forest, the ground starts undulating. As far as you can see, the terrain is just completely pock-marked with shell craters and half-filled trenches.

Red Crown posted:

So yeah, you're right, I don't think we really can understand what that looks like these days. At least, not that many dead in such a short time. WWI produced literal piles of skulls, much like this one:

If you visit the Douamont Ossuary at Verdun, you can see some of those skull piles. The French government literally made a giant mass tomb filled with tens of thousands of skeletons. Seeing that many bones in one place was one of the most unnerving experiences of my life.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ElMaligno posted:

This is Fort Douaurmont at the start of the Battle of Verdun.

On the first day of the day of the battle the Germans with the help of 808 guns would lunch approximately 1,000,000 shells in a period of 10 hours. Thats 100,000 shells per hour, 1,667 shells per minute, 28 shells per second.

Same fort as above after the battle.

No I would never want to fight in WWI.

We used to select one or two dudes per battalion to send off for grave preservation duty in france once per year and outside of the bizzare stories coming out of simply bunking in french boot camp, the experiences you'd make just casually laboring away for 2 weeks among the local populace were enough to screw with you.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOj07ClhEi8

Can't make it out because of the quality, but it looks like this fool is wearing an air assault badge, a CAB, and a CIB?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
USA goes around slaughtering innocent men, women and children in the middle east and then expects their trained serial killers to get respected for it, absolutely outrageous.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Only thing that dude's killing is a stuffed crust pizza, bag of Doritos, and 2L of Dew on Saturdays.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
What makes the grass grow green?

DEW! BRIGHT GREEN DEW!!

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
walking through the food isle at target, there's a section of mountain dew and doritos along with boxed copies of call of duty. that's some great marketing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mike-o posted:

walking through the food isle at target, there's a section of mountain dew and doritos along with boxed copies of call of duty. that's some great marketing.

You get armor unlocks and cool shades when you enter in codes from doritos and dew

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ2MA66-0z4

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mike-o posted:

It is. Someone at an agency got a hefty bonus for that.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDF6rRxkraA
Here is the game
http://itch.io/jam/7dfps/rate/13791

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gently caress that's the one I was looking for.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Volkerball posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOj07ClhEi8

Can't make it out because of the quality, but it looks like this fool is wearing an air assault badge, a CAB, and a CIB?

all i do is go out on missions, like im about to do a mounted patrol to the taco bell and set up a snap vcp outside the drivethru to confiscate any spicy gordita crunch or nacho bell grandes i find as contraband

also lmbo at the idiot recording when he starts shouting bout stolen valor

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Funny this gets brought up; I've been rooting through as much WW1 stuff as I can for the past two-three weeks. So far, I've got two series that I've stuck with. One that was very good & one that looks promising.

The very good - but is only in black and white being the early 60's series from the BBC. Fantastic in that interviews are had with WW1 vets who were obviously there but are still around to tell about their experiences. Note this isn't a BBC Youtube channel, but someone who pasted them all up there (and thank goodness that they did).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXhiagFG8KE&list=PLwn22WhrrUFMg65XgPicFBfYgHj7Xpcdn

(I am just an interloper but:)

BBCs The Great War is fantastic, incredible even. The BBC is doing a poo poo load for the centennial, including releasing many of the full interviews of those vets and civilians that didn't end up in the original series (heres the first in the series. There's some overlap but also lotsa unincluding stuff http://youtu.be/dUA8DSkSmBE). The Great War also set the tone and style for later fantastic documentary series, including Thames' The World At War and CBS's (I think) The Cold War.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

also lmbo at the idiot recording when he starts shouting bout stolen valor

I love it when they make fun of them but get all :rolleyes: when they start busting out the stolen valor stuff and get all dramatic.

lol how the civilian populace gives no shits and they probably think the vet is the crazy guy

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
We should simply be thankful the vet didn't sexually assault the guy before doing a spree shooting.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

Slim Pickens posted:

8lbs I hope you got to experience some Fader as well. I had him in RIP in 04, then he was teaching my pre-Ranger around Jan of 06, though, and I think he went back to a normal batt after that. Dude was a humongous rear end in a top hat and intimidating as hell. He was behind me once when they told us to drop in RIP, so i drop as quick as possible and accidentally scuff his mirror shined jungle boots with my boot. I looked at him thinking I as gonna die and just go "uh, I didn't know you were there sergeant!" And he just looks at me like he wants to throttle me in the face, shakes his head and just goes "...keep fuckin' pushing."

He also had the best cadences on runs during cole range, though. That's the first time I head whirl whirl twist and twirl.

Edit: photothread, so have a picture of a dog.

This is Gizmo. Gizmo liked biting Hajis. He's a pretty awesome dog but getting pretty old now, about 10 or 11 I think, so he doesn't work anymore as far as I know. I got to see him at the 2nd Batt 40th Anniversary BBQ they did last month.

Never heard of that guy and for RIP the craziest guy we had was crazy eddie. For all of my time in batt sgt Boley would have to win for the craziest but probably also the best all around soldier I ever saw.

As for most awesome or lovely wars to fight in in my mind,

Cool:

Spec ops stuff:Vietnam, Angola War
Infantry: WW2, Korea
Armor:WW2
Air:WW2, Korea
Artillery:WW1

lovely:

Infantry:WW1, any war with napoleonic warfare and linear tactics(gently caress standing shoulder to shoulder and getting shot at)
Air:Vietnam
Armor:Iraqi tanker in Desert Storm or OIF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

WWII was a lovely deal for bomber crews. 8th Air Force's casualty rates were obscene, especially when you start comparing them to other groups.

• Locked thread