Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Oh man, that X-Wing shot :circlefap:

It almost looks like they're going full circle back to the original Dam-busters influence.

I'm pretty hyped, this movie is in good hands.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm old and cynical. I didn't like the prequels and this doesn't do it for me. It doesn't mean the movie is going to be bad, but that wasn't a great teaser for ME.

An 88-second double sunset on Tatooine would have been better.

I'm going to see it either way, but JJ's style is divisive, and I just don't like it for Star Wars. It looks too clean and sterile (like the prequels). It worked in the Trek reboot, it doesn't work for me here.

The prequels aren't great, but so far the animated series have been really great at conveying the good stuff from the original series.

I'm sure this movie will be watchable, but part of me thinks that it'll be like another Bond reboot - exciting for the first watch but ultimately shallow.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Neowyrm posted:

The real takeaway here is that the leaked stormtrooper helmets are real, and we should all go see this movie as a consequence

You're god drat right.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/videos/watch-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-20141128

This article seems to describe a different trailer?

quote:

"To be strong in the force is one thing," intones a deep, raspy voice, as Luke Skywalker watches the body of Darth Vader burn. "But to believe oneself to be all powerful is to invite catastrophe." Then the familiar introduction — "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." — comes onscreen, and we hear a threat: "I will destroy you, and all of your kind." We meet a number of new characters, including what appears to be a black-armored stormtrooper with a light saber.

Was this that terrible fan trailer I didn't watch?*

* Edit: The video in the article didn't work for me.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 28, 2014

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Mogomra posted:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/videos/watch-star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-20141128

Was this that terrible fan trailer I didn't watch?

Yes its a lovely fan trailer

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Damo posted:

It was much better than Into Darkness, for sure. The problem is it stripped away everything that makes Star Trek good, and what it is really about. It was basically a generic Sci-Fi action movie. poo poo, it was JJ basically making Star Wars under a different name.

To be fair, most of the latter Trek movies, particularly the TNG films, were lovely action sci-fi crap themselves, but they also made the same mistake of missing the entire point of what is great about Star Trek. I was hoping with the reboot we could get Star Trek back towards the identity that made it great in the first place... but no we got JJ making Star Wars under a different banner. Now he gets to make Star Wars for real and it is basically gonna be the same poo poo.

I really can't follow the logic of this post, guy was making entertaining "Star Wars" movies in a different franchise, now hes making "Star Wars in the proper franchise."

It's like you decided Abrams was poo poo regardless of if the product is good or not.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mogomra posted:

Was this that terrible fan trailer I didn't watch?

Well, if it was there, it's not anymore.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Speaking of Star Wars, I've been watching Star Wars: Rebels with my son. I think we're 6 episodes in, it's actually really good. Gives me a warm fuzzy that Disney has this stuff well in hand. And my old rear end self enjoyed the Star Tours ship and pilot showing up, and I'm pretty sure the shadow creatures were actually from an Ewok book and record combo I haven't seen or heard since I was a proto-nerd.

If you need a recommendation to watch, that's mine anyway. So far so good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It looks like Rolling Stone did get duped by that fake trailer. They have updated the article.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was surprised that the trailer jumped straight in without any opening logos.

People have been saying ever since the Disney deal that it will feel weird having the movie without the Fox fanfare at the start. I would put a couple of dollars on them doing a drums and horns version of the "when you wish upon a star jingle" to accompany the Disney logo.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Anti-Citizen posted:

I really can't follow the logic of this post.

I wish the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises were going to be more different from one another in style and substance than it appears they are going to be. This is a result of both films being directed by the same dude, and being in nearly the exact same genre. Does that make sense for you? If it doesn't, just ignore me. Who cares.

Damo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 28, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I'm intrigued by the voice over. Obviously the implications between that and the name of the film is that the Force has been dormant for 30+ years and now some event has happened and suddenly there are Force-strong Storm Troopers and random people all over the Galaxy that have no idea what's happening.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Megazver posted:

Well, if it was there, it's not anymore.

I can see they've revised the article to be about the actual trailer, and instead of a broken video at the top, it's the youtube video that was posted in this thread. The quote from my post was a copy/paste of the first paragraph or the artcile.

Rolling Stone, get your poo poo together. :rolleyes:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

gently caress yes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Damo posted:

Now he gets to make Star Wars for real and it is basically gonna be the same poo poo.

The issues with Abrams' Trek movies (which I do genuinely like, both of them) are solely with the scripts, not the casting or direction -- and the last I checked, Alex Kurtzman, Bob Orci and Damon Lindelof have nothing to do with Star Wars.

Caros
May 14, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

What's people's problem with the laser sword? it's supposed to look like a knights sword. Do not answer with an arguement about realism.

Okay, it is supposed to look like a knights sword. Do you know what the purpose of those little bits on the side of a knights sword are for?

I'm all for rule of cool, my complaint is that if you are going to go with an aesthetic, there really isn't any reason to avoid making it practical.

You could have the emitters be closer to the blade in such a way as to avoid gaps that make the cross hilt pointless. You could have a physical cross hit that projects a blade around it.

Darth mauls weapon was impractical, to this weapon simply makes no sense. That said I am going to go with either that it is a punching weapon, or that they are exhaust from a :black101: old school saber.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Dude's voiceover sounds like a teenager trying really hard to sound scary.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Caros posted:

Okay, it is supposed to look like a knights sword. Do you know what the purpose of those little bits on the side of a knights sword are for?

I'm all for rule of cool, my complaint is that if you are going to go with an aesthetic, there really isn't any reason to avoid making it practical.

You could have the emitters be closer to the blade in such a way as to avoid gaps that make the cross hilt pointless. You could have a physical cross hit that projects a blade around it.

Darth mauls weapon was impractical, to this weapon simply makes no sense. That said I am going to go with either that it is a punching weapon, or that they are exhaust from a :black101: old school saber.

Maybe it's a decorative piece? Or to protect his hand from being chopped off? It's 100% :black101: so I am not complaining.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I thought it was Yoda or someone else with a similarly weird cadence.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It sure does look like a Star Wars movie. Jeez, I guess I must have seen too much Star Wars stuff and got jaded because I had like no emotional reaction to the trailer. :shrug:

The X-wings on the water and ball droid were neat. The lightsaber doesn't bother me you spergs. Lightsabers aren't practical to begin with. It's cool how it has kind of a firey effect. It's like... a fire saber?

Caros
May 14, 2008

yoohoo posted:

Maybe it's a decorative piece? Or to protect his hand from being chopped off? It's 100% :black101: so I am not complaining.

Yeah, my money is mostly on it being there to intimidate someone. The problem with it being there to keep his hand from being chopped off is that the blade doesn't start for about an inch or two, which is the exact place you'd need it to be if it was catching a blade.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

hhhat posted:

Speaking of Star Wars, I've been watching Star Wars: Rebels with my son. I think we're 6 episodes in, it's actually really good. Gives me a warm fuzzy that Disney has this stuff well in hand. And my old rear end self enjoyed the Star Tours ship and pilot showing up, and I'm pretty sure the shadow creatures were actually from an Ewok book and record combo I haven't seen or heard since I was a proto-nerd.

If you need a recommendation to watch, that's mine anyway. So far so good.

Clone Wars first (if anyone hasn't seen it) then Rebels.

(spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPvNkIPFdI8

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

The lightsaber doesn't bother me you spergs. Lightsabers aren't practical to begin with. It's cool how it has kind of a firey effect. It's like... a fire saber?

Jesus, thank you.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Not sure how that's possible when the guy is literally 85 years old.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I think Cumberbatch did the voice over. Doesn't sound anything like von Sydow to me. I'd also buy Adam Driver before Max.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

Not sure how that's possible when the guy is literally 85 years old.

I'm not saying it is or it isn't, but to me that sounds absolutely nothing like Max Von Sidow.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Ravane posted:

gently caress yes.

I recant. It's grown on me. This is Star Wars now.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I think Cumberbatch did the voice over. Doesn't sound anything like von Sydow to me. I'd also buy Adam Driver before Max.

He's not in it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Didn't realize Max Von Sydow was just an 8-year-old with Progeria

You are mistaken.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

LesterGroans posted:

He's not in it.

And?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Caros posted:

Yeah, my problem with it is that it a) highlights a problem that makes every lightsaber everyone has ever used in the last few millenia retroactively look dumb as gently caress and b) doesn't even fix it. If not having a guard makes lightsabers more dangerous thirty plus years since they were created is not the time to start pointing out the fact. Just handwave that the forcefield around the handle is strong enough that it makes the enemy's blade stick and you can't really shove it further or something.

And if you do have to poo poo all over the previous movies, then at least make the guard out of whatever the gently caress the vibroblades that every two-bit mook in the videogames carries around are made of. Putting more lightsabers there literally makes them worse.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Exhaust ports on a primitive laser sword with crackling fire blade is cool as hell.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What if it's intentionally ornamental instead of a 1:1 analogue to a medieval cross guard what then

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

And it's not him.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It's an old school Exar Kun blade. :colbert:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Get hype for lightsaber flails and axes, fools.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Who cares about the lightsaber hilt you loving idiots.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

unlimited shrimp posted:

What if it's intentionally ornamental instead of a 1:1 analogue to a medieval cross guard what then

lightsabers dont even need crossguards or theyd all have them, the blades dont slide when they connect they lock up and allow you to pose for the camera with colors representing your side.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I thought Oscar Isaac was Richard Jenkins for a sec.

Incredible, I cannot wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I've seen Inside Llewyn Davis but now I've seen Llewyn Davis inside an X-Wing

• Locked thread