Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Grand Theft Auto 5 takes full advantage of the PS4, including using the controller and its features for cool little things, for example, when the cops are after you, the light flashes red and blue, the same colour as the police sirens ingame, it also changes colour depending on which character you are currently controlling, Blue for Michael, Yellow for Trevor and Green for Franklin,

Phone Calls also come in through the controller's microphone, same as they did on No More Heroes on the Wii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

Grand Theft Auto 5 takes full advantage of the PS4, including using the controller and its features for cool little things, for example, when the cops are after you, the light flashes red and blue, the same colour as the police sirens ingame, it also changes colour depending on which character you are currently controlling, Blue for Michael, Yellow for Trevor and Green for Franklin,

Phone Calls also come in through the controller's microphone, same as they did on No More Heroes on the Wii.

I thought it was cool as gently caress that they added first person in gtav. And it looks legit well made.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can also play as animals like birds and cats now. Some kind of new drug trip mini-game.

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

Medieval Medic posted:

Streets of Rage 1, I can't recall if you could always do this, or just if you were doing two player, but the final boss asks you to join him. And you can. If one of the players refuses to join, you are forced to fight each other.

Cue 8 year old me getting really mad at my dad for betraying and defeating me the first time we played it together.

And then, if the person who agreed to join wins, they get put back to (I think) level 6 and have to fight their way back to the boss, but on a higher difficulty. If you then defeat the boss, you take over the city and get the 'bad' ending.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Dalax posted:

And then, if the person who agreed to join wins, they get put back to (I think) level 6 and have to fight their way back to the boss, but on a higher difficulty. If you then defeat the boss, you take over the city and get the 'bad' ending.

YOU ARE GREAT!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

"Telltale Games will remember this" :haw:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

those are words. well done. good post.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Xoidanor posted:

I nearly jumped when that happened. Good metajoke.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WickedHate posted:

I nearly jumped when that happened. Good metajoke.

What game?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Len posted:

What game?

Tales From The Borderlands. It uses a "X will remember that" for important decisions, and if that pops up if you skip the credits.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Sometimes the AI in GTA V can be really impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR2427mEbn0

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Dalax posted:

You can just say no when he asks again, then if you beat him you get the bad ending.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Xoidanor posted:

I also liked the "You should remember that" moment during August's introduction.

Bonto
Aug 8, 2007

Honey!?

TontoCorazon posted:

I thought it was cool as gently caress that they added first person in gtav. And it looks legit well made.

Was playing around in game yesterday - trying to make my characters look cool as gently caress. I put on some blue-tinted shades, and sure enough - the entire screen tinted blue in reflection of this. They've also added interiors to every single one of the cars - with a few of them having a display showing the radio station you're currently listening to.

It truly is a very different way to play the game - having that perspective allows you to see the minutiae that the developers added to the game - the posters, shop names and the like. It is very impressive.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I haven't played it yet (I only have a PC) and I'm seriously considering playing it first-person only first time through. Is the new view good enough to hold up to that?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The Twilight princess pack for Hyrule warriors came out yesterday one of my favorite things about it is that the adventure map is a recreation of Hyrule field from the game and all the items you use to open rewards and junk are the items of the game, and the theme music is a 8-bit remix of the Hyrule field theme from the game. Don't know if its nostalgia but it made me smile a bit seeing that.

Also Twili-Midna is a beast.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

I haven't played it yet (I only have a PC) and I'm seriously considering playing it first-person only first time through. Is the new view good enough to hold up to that?
You could I guess. Driving is pretty easy to get used to if you've played any arcade racer in bumper/cockpit mode.
Combat is the hardest part. You're still super squishy and with the first person view you have even less awareness of your surroundings. Not to mention that the cover system is even more annoyingly fiddly. Before it would just stick you to the wrong box in the open, now it sticks you to the wrong box and faces you the wrong way in the open.
At the moment control-wise, Freeaim is not good. It's too twitchy/too slow/too fiddly, doesn't seem to be any smoothing or minor gimmies (4 pixels off.... ehh, we'll give you the hit kinda stuff) like an actual console FPS has so if you're off aim by a millimeter, you'll miss, and as you go to re-adjust, you'll tap and zip to the other side of the target. Change the settings and now you spin too slow, etc. But this might not be a problem on PC so :shrug:
(Assisted Aim works fine though and IMO looks better. Your view stays centered on your target as they drop to the ground. Just makes it look better than just standard shooter Stare Infront Of You shooting.)

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Thanks, I'll give it a go and might switch during combat. I found the Just Cause 2 first-person mod similar, looked spectacular but it made the combat very difficult even on easy. GTA is likely to be less dogpile-from-every-direction combat so might manage it. Also, mouse aiming.

I always drive cockpit view when I can so I can't wait for that GTA-style.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

scarycave posted:

The Twilight princess pack for Hyrule warriors came out yesterday one of my favorite things about it is that the adventure map is a recreation of Hyrule field from the game and all the items you use to open rewards and junk are the items of the game, and the theme music is a 8-bit remix of the Hyrule field theme from the game. Don't know if its nostalgia but it made me smile a bit seeing that.

Also Twili-Midna is a beast.

I was wondering when Midna's true form would arrive, I'm not bothered it's DLC as that's par for the course with a Warriors series game, might be worth downloading then.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

That's what I'm more excited for. In any racing game I always use cockpit view.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This is definitely my favourite one. When I got to that bit I was expecting a really hard fight, and I spent a while pacing around because I was convinced he'd just counter me if I went head-on.

e: ha, now I've watched the video. That's basically what I did, only more batarangs.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The best thing about Electrocutioner is how the previous two games trained you to avoid straight out fist fights with guys using electric weapons, and then this guy stomps in with tazer gloves and armour...

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
In Dragon Age: Inquisition there's a mercenary leader who joins you. He's a fun enough character and he has sort of the usual band of misfits for his company but one of them really stands out to me. I can't remember his name but the whole thing is that he's basically a man in a woman's. The really surprising thing is that they handle it extremely well and tastefully. The player character can ask him some questions about how it was like growing up like that and whatnot but there's no mean spiritedness to it or making fun of the issue or anything like that. Not to go all tumblr here but I'm really happy and impressed than a big triple A game actually managed to have a character like that, even if they're just a side one, and do it so tastefully.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tropico 5: There was some protesting going on, coincidentally a multiple hurricane disaster hit and 3 of the things were plopped right on top of the protestors.

Presidente rules by divine right :colbert:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Y'know, after stuff like Blood Dragon, Drive, and stuff, it's made me wonder why they haven't done an open-world game with an 80's aesthetic. Just letterman jackets and pastel neon lights and soundtrack done by the likes of Timecop1983 or Kavinsky.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Calaveron posted:

Y'know, after stuff like Blood Dragon, Drive, and stuff, it's made me wonder why they haven't done an open-world game with an 80's aesthetic. Just letterman jackets and pastel neon lights and soundtrack done by the likes of Timecop1983 or Kavinsky.

Well technically Blood Dragon is open world but I know what you mean. I thought Rockstar would have joined in by now, but if GTA V went back to Los Santos/San Andreas, maybe VI will be a Vice City sequel.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Calaveron posted:

It's almost as if GTA Vice City never happened.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

beato posted:

It's almost as if GTA Vice City never happened.

Yeah I almost wrote in Vice City but that was what, 10 years ago?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Yeah I almost wrote in Vice City but that was what, 10 years ago?

Yeah cause the 80s have changed so much in 10 years.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

MrJacobs posted:

Our perception of it, at least. I mean vice city was a pastel neon sunny heaven, nowadays the 80s are a pastel neon hellscape.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

My point is that I wish more games would start mining the 80's for their aesthetics instead of using the cliched near future dystopia they're always using.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want there to be less "heh look at this awesome ironic 80s aesthetic isn't it totally raditubular *neon pink and blue lasers*" and more of the same thing in a genuine sense.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The whole "neon underground" thing is basically steampunk for people who think they're too cool for steampunk.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The whole "neon underground" thing is basically steampunk for people who think they're too cool for steampunk.

With all due fairness almost everybody is too cool for steam punk by default.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Infamous Second Son/First Light has proven that the only thing next-gen consoles are good for is rad looking neon effects.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
In Valiant Hearts, when you take an item from the dog, Emile pets him and says "Merci." :3:

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

Walton Simons posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a go and might switch during combat. I found the Just Cause 2 first-person mod similar, looked spectacular but it made the combat very difficult even on easy. GTA is likely to be less dogpile-from-every-direction combat so might manage it. Also, mouse aiming.

The camera and control options are impressively comprehensive. For me, the most comfortable setup is first person driving and walking, but 3rd person while in cover. Getting in to cover (reliably) and having decent awareness of who's shooting you were a bit too tricky in first person.

You can also adjust your FOV and there are multiple control schemes that somewhat mimic other popular first person shooters.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Neon underground pastel synthwave retro Miami LA 80's or whatever it's called at least has some decent music going on for it.
All steampunk has going for it is nerds with seborrheic dermatitis.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no I'M too cool for this thing well I'M EVEN MORE too cooler for this thing i swear to loving god i'll cut you if you think i'm not too cool for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Calaveron posted:

Neon underground pastel synthwave retro Miami LA 80's or whatever it's called at least has some decent music going on for it.
All steampunk has going for it is nerds with seborrheic dermatitis.

This post is even more nerdy than steampunk.