Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm working as a catch-all post-production support guy. We maintain all the edits, media servers, A/V equipment, client PCs and keep the network going. I work 60 hours a week and get paid less than $40k a year. How badly am I being screwed?

That's pretty much market rate for people who can't do arithmetic :shrug:

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I have lots of money; who cares?

Prove it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

skooky posted:

Yep, that's about what I expected for +71 posts

New thread title please

Hey, at least like 10 of them were "Oh a bunch of posts, of course its DAF" posts.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 1, 2019

mewse
May 2, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

$31,680 is less than $40,000. What's the going rate for people without reading comprehension?

I've been in this situation before. You need to stand up for yourself and tell your boss that you need the proper equipment to do your job.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Chickenwalker posted:

$31,680 is less than $40,000. What's the going rate for people without reading comprehension?

You're asking if you're getting screwed while providing cursory info at best, don't expect me not to be a smartass

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Chickenwalker posted:

I work in NYC. We don't edit but we maintain all the Avid PCs/Macs and troubleshoot if there are any problems with projects or media, which there are almost constantly. It's not an exclusively client support role though, because we manage the network and storage too. I'm planning on getting some certifications to see if I can get a little more authority and pay but I don't know. I have a film school background not CS, and even though I know my poo poo I don't know if I could get anyplace else to give me the time of day without meeting the typical prerequisites. And this job is slowly killing my prospects of getting an actual production position, even if it is a stable paycheck.

With the hours I work I make roughly $11/hour which really sucks, I feel like I should be making closer to $60-70k.

The guys that fix laptops for the apple store make $50-60k at least. Just see if they have any openings. I have a friend who started selling iPods and then moved his way up to genius and now he's working on a more corporate position for the retail division. Working at the NYC locations might be harder, but if you live in some place like NJ there are a bunch of stores. It might be a slower progression but at least the money is better and they do things like fly you out to California for training.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
In the downtime over the last couple of days, I have built two computers from spare chassises and parts that were lying around.

One Dell Precision T5500 with dual Xeon E5520 CPUs, Nvidia Quadro FX3800, 9*4GB ECC 1066MHz DDR3 and two Intel 530 SSDs in RAID 0 on a Dell PERC H310 card.

One with an Intel i7 860 CPU, 2*4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, an Asus motherboard, an Asus Xonar SD PCI sound card, Nvidia 275GTX and a Chieftec 600W PSU in a Cooler Master Tower with a multiple memory card reader in the 3,5" floppy bay.

I am now ready for anything that late 2009 can throw at me.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't ever let a potential future employer know that you're only making $11.

Holy poo poo, this. If a future employer (should be when not if) asks how much you're getting paid or were getting paid, say industry standard.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

bobmarleysghost posted:

Holy poo poo, this. If a future employer (should be when not if) asks how much you're getting paid or were getting paid, say industry standard.

I'm pretty sure in general the correct answer whenever a potential employer asks that question is "none of your loving business", but that's the next best thing -- never give a number.

Also goddamn DAF.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

movax posted:

Also goddamn DAF.

Best thread title ever. Thank you.

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 28, 2014

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I kind of want to change it again: Working in IT 3.0: Family can wait, watching Episode VII trailer on repeat can not

:fap: I'm at full chub after watching it.

(derail for the rest of this page I guess)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
New thread is awesome

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The important thing to remember is that you can't take your family to the grave.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Misogynist posted:

The important thing to remember is that you can't take your family to the grave.

Chris Benoit would disagree. DAF, don't become Chris Benoit.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Misogynist posted:

You can if your family name is Benjamin.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I have a visual image of DAF. A goon's goon. I wonder how right I am.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Join the LinkedIn goon group and you'll no longer have to wonder.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

TWBalls posted:

Join the LinkedIn goon group and you'll no longer have to wonder.

Is this actually a thing? Is any connection to SA on LinkedIn a good thing in any way?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Is any connection to SA on LinkedIn a good thing in any way?

No.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Is this actually a thing? Is any connection to SA on LinkedIn a good thing in any way?

For when the forums are down :)

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

What, you mean a connection with a website that once told a victim of miscarriage that her "womb is making heaven too loving crowded" might not be a benefit to gainful employment?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

You just made an amazing point. That being said it was interesting to see that someone looks exactly as I pictured.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Cenodoxus posted:

48 14 0 DAYS POSTED WITHOUT A MELTDOWN.
GOOD POSTS ARE NO ACCIDENT! KEEP ARE FORUMS SAFE! :911:

Welp.

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm working as a catch-all post-production support guy. We maintain all the edits, media servers, A/V equipment, client PCs and keep the network going. I work 60 hours a week and get paid less than $40k a year. How badly am I being screwed?

At best, totally screwed. At worst, getting rammed bone-dry with no safe word by a partner with a cigar-burn fetish. As a sweeping generalization I'd say if your NYC-based employer is paying you less than $40K for your NYC-based system/network/storage tech role, your only hope for getting a sane wage is to jump ship.

Getting some certs and using that to negotiate a raise is a good idea in theory, but no matter what you tell them you'll just end up negotiating from an $11/hr base.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

hihifellow posted:

What, you mean a connection with a website that once told a victim of miscarriage that her "womb is making heaven too loving crowded" might not be a benefit to gainful employment?

You can selectively hide your group memberships. That said, the SA LinkedIn group is effectively dead. The last thread is from two months ago and is literally DAF offering to buy people poo poo if they start making good posts :lol:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So what are you going to do about it?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Docjowles posted:

The last thread is from two months ago and is literally DAF offering to buy people poo poo if they start making good posts :lol:

I have lots of money; who cares?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

movax posted:

I'm pretty sure in general the correct answer whenever a potential employer asks that question is "none of your loving business", but that's the next best thing -- never give a number.

Also goddamn DAF.

SH/SC taught me alot and made me understand the value of money means a lot...

Caring about poo poo means less that actually caring about yourself. I am making money and take control of your life.

I use to think the working in IT threads meant something, as I've seen just make as much money as you can and live live as you want regardless of what people think of you!

Just get money, seize the day, and ask the future of "who the hell do you think I am?" Fight for tomorrow or die trying.

Yes this is how IT works

also who ever bought me this title; I probably make more money then you so HHAHAHHAHHAH

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 29, 2014

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Shut the gently caress up DAF

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

ugh can we just ban him from sh/sc already? Who's dick do I have to suck to get this done?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

ugh can we just ban him from sh/sc already? Who's dick do I have to suck to get this done?

nah I probably won't post here anymore so don't worry about it; I have no reason to post here so just forget it... Lurking from now on.

I like to lurk but KC green, moot, garry, etc; were right when you do 12$/oz because people want to talk to you who cares? I won my battles; and I did what I needed.

If I post after this post in this thread: permaban me really do not care

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Caring about poo poo means less that actually caring about yourself. I am making money and take control of your life.

I use to think the working in IT threads meant something, as I've seen just make as much money as you can and live live as you want regardless of what people think of you!

Just get money, seize the day, and ask the future of "who the hell do you think I am?" Fight for tomorrow or die trying.

Yes this is how IT works

also who ever bought me this title; I probably make more money then you so HHAHAHHAHHAH

B-b-but it's still not Saturday night...

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

nah I probably won't post here anymore so don't worry about it; I have no reason to post here so just forget it... Lurking from now on.

I like to lurk but KC green, moot, garry, etc; were right when you do 12$/oz because people want to talk to you who cares? I won my battles; and I did what I needed.

If I post after this post in this thread: permaban me really do not care

Saved

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mods, please do the needful next time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

dogstile posted:

please do the needful

Trigger warning that poo poo.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
It's one thing to be a full-on sperg when you're hiding behind a username. It's a completely different thing when you can be identified personally and professionally on LinkedIn. Yikes.

I know that psydude met up with him once out in Virginia or something. Was he that bad in person?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

That may be true, but at the same time you are the only one I ever see posting to this thread regularly asking people to meet up with you when you're in their town or vice versa and how you will buy them drinks and what not; basically begging someone to be your friend, even offering to buy their friendship with food and alcohol.... so in the greater scheme of things, it probably comes out in a wash. I'd probably even say they were even a bit ahead of you. But its all a moot point now isn't it since you just toxxed yourself?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I don't know if this is a bullshit chatbox thread or actually useful for advice, but I'll try anyway. I already have a bachelor's degree in a technical field and am currently working for a computer infrastructure company after having to switch fields. It turns out I really enjoy what I'm doing and am considering going back to school for a second Bachelor's (or more?) in IT, specifically systems or network engineering. I am also considering programming though I have zero background in that beyond some HTML 15 years ago.

This may be broad and I know I will have to discuss my specifics with potential schools, but what would I need to look at when choosing an education path towards higher-level IT stuff coming from a background with essentially no engineering or computer classes? What should I look for in terms of online classes to actually learn anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

I love me some aspergers. I want to shake the hand of the person that bought you the title because I got beat to the punch.

Working in IT, thinking making slightly over 100k is a lot when living on the east coast!

Come on CF/DAF, keep on drunk posting for us so we can all learn the mighty art of IT