Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Not completely about ridiculing audiophiles, but here's Dave Jones interviewing Rod Elliot from Elliot Sound Products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjfOTRBqpJw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

How McIntosh tube amps are made. Gold-plated brass speaker connectors to prevent distortion from being introduced into the signal. Transformers encased in tar to limit vibrations caused by low frequencies.

http://youtu.be/2HgS6gvokEI

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Turkey Farts posted:

How McIntosh tube amps are made. Gold-plated brass speaker connectors to prevent distortion from being introduced into the signal. Transformers encased in tar to limit vibrations caused by low frequencies.
Once upon a time McIntosh used to be on the vanguard against audiophile bullshit (they were early believers in ABX testing of zip cord for speaker wire).

I assume they discovered audiophoolery sold much more.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Gold plated speaker inputs and vibration dampening are way low on the totem pole of audiophilerey. I wish my ht amp had some vibration dampening. It rattles like a chain link fence.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

BigFactory posted:

Gold plated speaker inputs and vibration dampening are way low on the totem pole of audiophilerey. I wish my ht amp had some vibration dampening. It rattles like a chain link fence.

Yeah, gold plated connectors are standard on most industrial electronic equipment. Not really audiophile shenanigans.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

taqueso posted:

Yeah, gold plated connectors are standard on most industrial electronic equipment. Not really audiophile shenanigans.

The video stated that the combination of gold and brass were specifically chosen as they are non-magnetic metals and presumably won't taint the signal sent to the speakers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

taqueso posted:

Even the cheapest TOSLINK cables you get from the dollar store are gold-plated these days, it's really nothing special.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gold plating is used because it doesn't corrode.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

KillHour posted:

Gold plating is used because it doesn't corrode.

I think you'll find it's used because there's a linear relationship between the cost of your materials and the soundstage.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Wrong thread.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 30, 2014

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BurritoJustice posted:

Pretty massive discount on the Mionix 7000 series mice on Massdrop right now. Very well regarded mice, with the best optical sensor on the market (ADNS-3310) and good ergonomic or ambidextrous options. I'm considering grabbing a Naos for my ridiculous bear hands that make small mice hard to use.

Looks pretty cool. Is there currently a good wireless gaming mouse out there.... -? what thread is THIS?! Let me guess, it widens the sound stage with isolated gold plated USB and its felt feet are much quieter than teflon?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Jago posted:

Looks pretty cool. Is there currently a good wireless gaming mouse out there.... -? what thread is THIS?! Let me guess, it widens the sound stage with isolated gold plated USB and its felt feet are much quieter than teflon?

Oh bollocks, this was meant to be the mouse thread.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You can hear when usb devices have been used in the editing equipment. Only PS2 mice give the pure soundstage you want.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Khablam posted:

I think you'll find it's used because there's a linear relationship between the cost of your materials and the soundstage.

I don't know if I trust a low brow b-roll cable show to be the final word on McIntosh's audio claims. I think their gear costs a lot because it's put together in America and they use some high end or small production run components, and they can charge a premium for the badging and legacy, just like Harley Davidson or whatever.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Boiled Water posted:

You can hear when usb devices have been used in the editing equipment. Only PS2 mice give the pure soundstage you want.

Be sure to follow the old adage of using optical mice for optical media, and ball mice for analog.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Meridian is introducing a new audio format called MQA, which promises to deliver high-resolution sound at a CD quality-like filesize. It also supposedly retains CD quality backwards compatibility with devices that don't support this new format.

They also have this amazingly helpful graph to show us why we should care:

As you can see, reel-to-reel tape is the highest audio quality possible forever, but it is not very convenient. You can also see that streaming is extremely convenient, but has sound quality akin to punching yourself in the face.

You can also plainly see that LPs are better than both SACD and DVD-A in both convenience and sound quality! Because it's so inconvenient to plop in a disc and press play, right? It's so much more complicated than playing a CD!

They also have the most pretentious URL ever: http://www.musicischanging.com/

From reading their bullshit claims, it actually sounds a lot like HDCD. Which was also a rousing success, as you may remember.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 6, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Well, to be fair it's really inconvenient to play my SACD's because it's almost impossible to find a player that utilizes the format anymore.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Well, to be fair it's really inconvenient to play my SACD's because it's almost impossible to find a player that utilizes the format anymore.

I use an Oppo player for that. With added convenience it will also stream from my NAS music or video.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Decairn posted:

I use an Oppo player for that. With added convenience it will also stream from my NAS music or video.

Is there a way to get it to play from my nas without putting a gap between songs? Bdp-103

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

shortspecialbus posted:

Is there a way to get it to play from my nas without putting a gap between songs? Bdp-103

are your network plugs gold-plated? if not- hopeless.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

slomomofo posted:

are your network plugs gold-plated? if not- hopeless.

Network Jacks? Pfft. I use RFC1149 for airier highs and more dynamic drops.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

shortspecialbus posted:

Conveniently combine all the songs into one really long track with a wave editor.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

KozmoNaut posted:

Meridian is introducing a new audio format called MQA, which promises to deliver high-resolution sound at a CD quality-like filesize. It also supposedly retains CD quality backwards compatibility with devices that don't support this new format.
From reading their bullshit claims, it actually sounds a lot like HDCD. Which was also a rousing success, as you may remember.
HDCD is such a retarded format. By injecting sideband information, you're raising the noise floor, essentially worsening the audio, to then synthetically "improve" it.

No one besides a bunch of audiophile nutjobs will care about MQA. Their MLP format went nowhere, either.

--edit: Given their "any format" line, I suppose they're going to inject sideband information by loving with psychoacoustics.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I've never listened to anything but home recordings on reel to reel, what's the quality of commercial recordings actually like compared to cassette and LP?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

GWBBQ posted:

I've never listened to anything but home recordings on reel to reel, what's the quality of commercial recordings actually like compared to cassette and LP?

Considering the albums were recorded to reel, it's probably pretty good.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GWBBQ posted:

They're very good, they're simply a pain in the rear end to deal with.

I got a player from Goodwill for $10 once and a bunch of commercial releases to go with for like $2 each. They sounded pretty great.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
This was posted on a facebook group i'm in

http://www.dual-connect.com/html/precious_metals.html

i can't make sense of it!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's like 16 years ago I last had chemistry, but as far as I remember, the amount of total electrons doesn't matter, only the unpaired ones on the last layer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

taqueso posted:

The gently caress they are? I've only ever seen it on consumer poo poo and "look at me I'm a pro" consumer poo poo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

The gently caress they are? I've only ever seen it on consumer poo poo and "look at me I'm a pro" consumer poo poo.

I think the point is that you see gold plated connectors on a bunch of relatively inexpensive stuff, because it's not really an extravagant upgrade. It's kinda nonsense and a cheap marketing ploy, but it's not $10,000 power cable territory. You can probably buy gold plated interconnects cheaper on Amazon if you look than regular interconnects cost at Best Buy/Radio Shack.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think I've mentioned it before, but all of the cheap Toslink cables I've come across have gold-plated connectors, you actually have to get up to around $25 or so to find one that isn't.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

They're very good, they're simply a pain in the rear end to deal with.

I got a player from Goodwill for $10 once and a bunch of commercial releases to go with for like $2 each. They sounded pretty great.
I have my dad's old reel to reel player and I'm the kind of technology masochist who enjoys threading film into projectors. I should probably eBay a few for nostalgia.

As far as formats, DVD audio is incredible and anyone who disagrees needs to find a copy of Queen - A Night at the Opera (the Brian May version) and play it on a 5.1 system.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

I have my dad's old reel to reel player and I'm the kind of technology masochist who enjoys threading film into projectors. I should probably eBay a few for nostalgia.

As far as formats, DVD audio is incredible and anyone who disagrees needs to find a copy of Queen - A Night at the Opera (the Brian May version) and play it on a 5.1 system.

Why do audiophiles always like badlame music :confused:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jerry Cotton posted:

Queen is lame now?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Post a confession bear about your dislike of Queen.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jerry Cotton posted:

Tell us what bands meet with your approval, senpai.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

GWBBQ posted:

But how is it on a stereo system??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Tell us what bands meet with your approval, senpai.

Good ones.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Audiophiles do not listen to music, they listen to equipment. Music is just a necessary evil. Now let me play Yello - The Race for you so you can really experience the openness in the soundstage these unobtanium wood coasters I have placed under my CD player create.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Quote is not edit.