Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, that's just a terrible financial decision all the way around.

You want to get rid of a presumably paid off vehicle that you like, and runs well, and instead go into an unknown used vehicle of some sort and take on a car note.

Consider a few things for me:

1: There is no 'getting the value up' on a 1998 Buick Lesabre. It's pretty much at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Any vehicle in good running condition is worth about 2500 to 3000 dollars these days. Doesn't matter what it is, that's just the going rate for an older used car. Nothing you do to that vehicle is going to change that.

2: Sit down and do the math regarding your main issue of gas mileage and realize how little it makes a difference. The issue is you drive a lot. Driving a lot costs money. From what you posted I'm guessing you're driving about 420 miles a week. At 20MPG that's 21 gallons of gas, ballpark @ $3/gal. That's 63 dollars a week in gas.

Let's say you buy a newer car that gets 30MPG avg. You're still driving 420 miles a week. Your fuel costs @ $3/gal will be 42 dollars a week. 21 dollars a week difference.

I'm not sure what kind of used car you plan on buying, but spending say 12,000 dollars on a used car to save 84 dollars a month in gas is about the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard. Even if you buy a Prius and average 45MPG you're gas savings would only be about 140 dollars a month. Nowhere in reality can you finance a used car, and pay for full coverage insurance for less than 140 dollars a month.

Now then you might be saying, "Skippy you're making GBS threads all over my hopes and dreams of justifying a reason to get rid of this grandpa mobile and into a hotter more awesome car that makes the ladies panties drop!" and I would say, no that's not true at all. I'm calling bullshit on the reasoning behind your decision to get rid of the car. If you want a different car for whatever reason, hey that's cool. I drive somewhat expensive cars and spend a lot of money to own them every month. I like nice cars and choose to spend money on them. I don't try to justify owning them with bullshit reasons though. If you want a newer car to have a newer car, cool! But realize it's not gas mileage that's killing you. It's the fact you drive so much.

Assuming you're a younger gentleman, the smartest thing you could possibly do financially is to hold on to that car as long as possible provided it keeps running well. As a side note, I couldn't recommend any GM product from the last decade to replace that car. They were generally complete poo poo compared to other vehicles until 6 years ago or so and even then that was the start of the turn around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Prius is nice because it doesn't have gears. Lots of smaller cars also have CVTs now, which eliminates actual gear changes.

edit: for actual recommendations, I'd suggest the Prius, Mazda3, Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. Maybe a slightly used Focus hatchback, although the automatic transmission is weird and unreliable. All of those cars are about as powerful as your Forte, but they may feel better based on gearing and such.
Oh, wow! I had no idea that there were no-gear cars. I've never driven anything other than a manual transmission, so it'll feel weird to switch, but I guess that's the way the winds are blowing. Thanks for the recs, I will check them out.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hrmm, Time to swap out some vehicles. My Jeep has been sort of a hobby and fun vehicle, but I am bored with it and the things I want to do with it are more suited to a dedicated offroad vehicle. I'm returning it to stock and selling off the parts. Not looking for financial advice.

Currently in the driveway:

2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 150,000km (Worth Roughly $20,000)
2011 Ram 2500 (Worth roughly $24,000)

Come January I'm going to trade the Jeep for a 2015 Wildcat X
http://ca.arcticcat.com/sidexside/model/wildcatxeps#white_metallic

The pickup is my hauling and vacation vehicle. It only gets driven once or twice per month. Now I need a commuting vehicle. I'm not sure what though, so toss some ideas at me...

Currently considering Subarus, AWD 300c's, smaller SUV's, depreciated Ford Focus ? Cruze ? I'd like better than 20mpg in town.

Proposed Budget: $10,000 or less
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Must be front wheel drive, all wheel drive or 4x4
How will you be using the car?: Commuting 15km to and from work in temps from +30c down to -40, running errands and driving 1150km to Vancouver and back every few weeks.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Gizmos no, but some luxury yes
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, Comfort/Legroom, Ability to seat 4 comfortably, Reliable, nice to drive at speed on the highway.
3. If you do not live in the U.S... Canada!

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

jonathan posted:

Hrmm, Time to swap out some vehicles. My Jeep has been sort of a hobby and fun vehicle, but I am bored with it and the things I want to do with it are more suited to a dedicated offroad vehicle. I'm returning it to stock and selling off the parts. Not looking for financial advice.

Currently in the driveway:

2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 150,000km (Worth Roughly $20,000)
2011 Ram 2500 (Worth roughly $24,000)

Come January I'm going to trade the Jeep for a 2015 Wildcat X
http://ca.arcticcat.com/sidexside/model/wildcatxeps#white_metallic

The pickup is my hauling and vacation vehicle. It only gets driven once or twice per month. Now I need a commuting vehicle. I'm not sure what though, so toss some ideas at me...

Currently considering Subarus, AWD 300c's, smaller SUV's, depreciated Ford Focus ? Cruze ? I'd like better than 20mpg in town.

Proposed Budget: $10,000 or less
Body Style: Must be front wheel drive, all wheel drive or 4x4
How will you be using the car?: Commuting 15km to and from work in temps from +30c down to -40, running errands and driving 1150km to Vancouver and back every few weeks.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Gizmos no, but some luxury yes
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, Comfort/Legroom, Ability to seat 4 comfortably, Reliable, nice to drive at speed on the highway.
3. If you do not live in the U.S... Canada!

That off road vehicle is neat.

Enjoy your second generation Prius!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C... posted:

That off road vehicle is neat.

Enjoy your second generation Prius!

Does the Prius work well at -40 ? Does it have lots of legroom ? I'm 6'2" and 210 pounds. How is it for long drives on the highway ? Lots of passing power ?

Edit: I can't find any used ones for sale in my province anyways.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 26, 2014

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

If passing power is a priority then you might want to look elsewhere. I've driven around in a second-gen Prius a fair bit, and while it is a perfectly nice vehicle with awesome fuel economy, fast it is not. I mean, it gets up to speed alright but when you're on the highway and stomp on the accelerator to overtake something, the tiny 1.5L gasoline engine mainly just protests very loudly and you might eventually go slightly faster than the semi truck that you're trying to pass.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 26, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You should probably be prepared to look elsewhere as Alberta is a wasteland for used cars. All the dealer lots are filled with rusted out Quebec cars anyway so why not cut out the middle man?

See if you can find a 2007+ Ford Fusion or Lincoln MKZ V6, these could be had with AWD. Try to get one with the Aisin transmission.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 27, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

moana posted:

Oh, wow! I had no idea that there were no-gear cars. I've never driven anything other than a manual transmission, so it'll feel weird to switch, but I guess that's the way the winds are blowing. Thanks for the recs, I will check them out.

If you like to drive a manual transmission vehicle, the Ford Focus is a good choice with a manual transmission, just not with an auto.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Budget: $25k
Style: needs to be able to fit a car seat in the back
US

-20 miles a day

Test drove a Fiesta ST. Fun but it looks too much like poo poo, and rear side impact ratings are too lovely.

Going to check out the new GTI soon, I guess. Maybe a Focus ST also

Willing to consider used, but don't know what to look at

e: would prefer manual transmission

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 27, 2014

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Do Rav4's have a decent life expectancy? Looking at a 2001 Rav4 tomorrow owned by a friend of a friend. It has 155,000 miles and is listed for 5500, though Im hoping I can talk him down a bit as blue book is 425. I believe it's been well taken care of and they have all maintenance records since 2006. Anything specific to look for out of the usual?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you like to drive a manual transmission vehicle, the Ford Focus is a good choice with a manual transmission, just not with an auto.

Do any of the compact cars that can be had as a hatchback have decent automatic transmissions? I keep on hearing that refrain for the Mazda3 and the Ford Focus. I'm probably going to go for a 4 door hatchback for my next car, and I should probably try for an automatic so my fiancee can drive it as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Mazda3 auto is fine. The Hyundai Elantra/Accent has an OK auto. The various hybrid hatchbacks have CVTs which are fine. The Subaru Impreza CVT is OK as well.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Claverjoe posted:

Do any of the compact cars that can be had as a hatchback have decent automatic transmissions? I keep on hearing that refrain for the Mazda3 and the Ford Focus. I'm probably going to go for a 4 door hatchback for my next car, and I should probably try for an automatic so my fiancee can drive it as well.

I haven't seen anyone bitch about the Mazda3's auto, and I find it perfectly fine in mine. It just feels like a regular old automatic with 4 gears like every other car I've ever driven.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

IRQ posted:

I haven't seen anyone bitch about the Mazda3's auto, and I find it perfectly fine in mine. It just feels like a regular old automatic with 4 gears like every other car I've ever driven.

Worth noting 3 has a six speed, or at least the ones with the skyactiv drivetrain do.

Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
Proposed Budget: $8-$12k
Body Style: Large sedan or SUV. A wagon is fine too.
How will you be using the car?: This car/SUV will be making bi-weekly trips between DC and South Carolina.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not really.
What aspects are most important to you? This car must fit my 6ft 4in 330lb rear end and 4 other adults comfortably for that bi-weekly DC to SC ride. Sometimes I commute to work, but as a fed employee I get transit subsidies. Comfort is an absolute must here.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Boxman posted:

Worth noting 3 has a six speed, or at least the ones with the skyactiv drivetrain do.

Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Mine is not that new.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Delorence Fickle posted:

How will you be using the car?: This car/SUV will be making bi-weekly trips between DC and South Carolina.
What aspects are most important to you? This car must fit my 6ft 4in 330lb rear end and 4 other adults comfortably for that bi-weekly DC to SC ride. Sometimes I commute to work, but as a fed employee I get transit subsidies. Comfort is an absolute must here.

Ford Crown Victoria.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Our older Dodge Durango was pretty comfortable for longer rides, that might be an appropriate place to look for your price range.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 1, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Are you adamantly opposed to minivans? Seems like a good opportunity for a minivan.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The last year W body Impala with the 3.6l and 6 speed auto gets 30mpg highway. That's like Toyota Avalon fuel economy for a Chevy Impala price! A crown vic is what 25?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

The last year W body Impala with the 3.6l and 6 speed auto gets 30mpg highway. That's like Toyota Avalon fuel economy for a Chevy Impala price! A crown vic is what 25?

Yeah but its got a V8 come on man.

The W body gives me horrible flashbacks to awful rental cars but it is a good choice for this kind of thing I suppose.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ford Crown Victoria.

Oddly enough I have been checking out a Mercury Montego that just went up for sale about a day ago. As for a minivan? The Mazda 5 has been crossing my mind as well.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Proposed Budget: $30,000
New or Used: New or like-new
Body Style: Hatchback, wagon, maybe a crossover?

How will you be using the car?: Hauling a collapsible 57" long, 3 foot wide cart plus other tools an equipment around in the back. It's critical for work.

What aspects are most important to you? Fun and gadgets, and carrying that cart around. I've driven pickups for 2 decades, and I want something more fun to drive, and likely more economical. My Toyota Tacoma has been wonderful, but the days I'm not hauling gear make it a real bore, plus a waste of fuel. I'd like a new, fun, sporty, techno-car with all the doo-dads. Backup camera, steering wheel controls, heated seats, satnav, bluetooth, power everything, etc. I'd also like it to be fun to drive. I won't be modifying it, or taking it to track days or anything.

I'm looking at the 2015 Mazda 3 S GT, the Subaru Impreza Sport Premium, and the VW SportWagen. I was a big fan of the old WRX hatch but they quit making it and apparently they're awful for insurance costs and cops love pulling them over.

Am I missing any others in this sort of style? The Golf GTI is too small :( Otherwise I think that would almost be a no-brainer choice, hence the Jetta SportWagen.

I drove the Impreza but it was a 2014 model. It seems to get great reviews except for the road noise level which I can confirm was really bad, maybe even worse than my truck. I've read that they fixed that for the 2015 model.

Things I don't like about the Mazda 3: it might be a little ... adolescent. I'm about to be 39 years old and the transformers meets jet-fighter cockpit/HUD/styling might get old real quick. Also front-wheel drive has never sat well with me for some reason. Other than that it gets rave reviews everywhere.

The Fiat 500L/X look pretty clunky. The Kia Soul looks cheap and slow, as does the Scion xB or whatever. The Audi and BMW wagons are too expensive, but look exactly like what I want :( The Toyota Venza looks really nice but the reviews I've read aren't great and it's a little pricey.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Delorence Fickle posted:

Oddly enough I have been checking out a Mercury Montego that just went up for sale about a day ago. As for a minivan? The Mazda 5 has been crossing my mind as well.

If comfort's a priority make sure you get up to highway speeds when testing the Mazda5. I drove a new '13 and found the road and wind noise levels pretty bad, and the seating didn't exactly feel luxurious either despite it being the GT.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

AnimalChin posted:

Proposed Budget: $30,000
New or Used: New or like-new
Body Style: Hatchback, wagon, maybe a crossover?

How will you be using the car?: Hauling a collapsible 57" long, 3 foot wide cart plus other tools an equipment around in the back. It's critical for work.

What aspects are most important to you? Fun and gadgets, and carrying that cart around. I've driven pickups for 2 decades, and I want something more fun to drive, and likely more economical. My Toyota Tacoma has been wonderful, but the days I'm not hauling gear make it a real bore, plus a waste of fuel. I'd like a new, fun, sporty, techno-car with all the doo-dads. Backup camera, steering wheel controls, heated seats, satnav, bluetooth, power everything, etc. I'd also like it to be fun to drive. I won't be modifying it, or taking it to track days or anything.

I'm looking at the 2015 Mazda 3 S GT, the Subaru Impreza Sport Premium, and the VW SportWagen. I was a big fan of the old WRX hatch but they quit making it and apparently they're awful for insurance costs and cops love pulling them over.

Am I missing any others in this sort of style? The Golf GTI is too small :( Otherwise I think that would almost be a no-brainer choice, hence the Jetta SportWagen.

I drove the Impreza but it was a 2014 model. It seems to get great reviews except for the road noise level which I can confirm was really bad, maybe even worse than my truck. I've read that they fixed that for the 2015 model.

Things I don't like about the Mazda 3: it might be a little ... adolescent. I'm about to be 39 years old and the transformers meets jet-fighter cockpit/HUD/styling might get old real quick. Also front-wheel drive has never sat well with me for some reason. Other than that it gets rave reviews everywhere.

The Fiat 500L/X look pretty clunky. The Kia Soul looks cheap and slow, as does the Scion xB or whatever. The Audi and BMW wagons are too expensive, but look exactly like what I want :( The Toyota Venza looks really nice but the reviews I've read aren't great and it's a little pricey.

Elantra GT or a Focus? Both are on the sporty end of the compact spectrum and have plenty of tech. I think they should be quieter than the Impreza too (though almost anything is quieter than an Impreza).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Remy Marathe posted:

If comfort's a priority make sure you get up to highway speeds when testing the Mazda5. I drove a new '13 and found the road and wind noise levels pretty bad, and the seating didn't exactly feel luxurious either despite it being the GT.

It's also a small rear end minivan - I liked it well enough when I had one as a rental but I would expect the third row to be quite cramped for any adult.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Augmented Dickey posted:

Elantra GT or a Focus? Both are on the sporty end of the compact spectrum and have plenty of tech. I think they should be quieter than the Impreza too (though almost anything is quieter than an Impreza).

Definitely check the cart on all of those - poo poo, bring it shopping. I don't think that it would fit in my Focus - or it would be really tight. Best to check!

You could also take a look at any/all of the baby crossovers that are out or coming out - Buick Verano, Honda HR-V, etc. Also check out the Mazda CX-5; basically a taller Mazda 3, though the cockpit didn't receive the same updates yet.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

AnimalChin posted:

I wouldn't let this keep you from a test drive, though I don't really get the FWD hangup. I ended up with the '15 s Touring and while it's far from the quietest ride it is extremely enjoyable to drive. I'd think the styling on any car would just become background noise after a while, but I don't expect the HUD or control layout to get old because what makes them great now is the ergonomics. It's just plain nice having a shorter glance to see speed or where the cruise is set, and if you're considering the GT your cruise control would actually be useful outside perfect open road conditions. The infotainment controller is strong and well placed, The paddle shifters and gear selector shifters are substantial, the automatic makes good decisions.

I wouldn't call my enjoyment of this car "mature" and my wife calls it a bachelor car, but who cares? I haven't enjoyed driving for a long time, now I do and the heated seats are great on my aging back.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 1, 2014

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I'm desperately searching for a new car. My '95 Civic needs its transmission rebuilt which would cost over 2k, and it's just not worth it. Used Civics appear to run around 15k here unless they're terribly old or have terribly high mileage, and new ones are around 19-20k, but I was hoping to go a bit cheaper.

Right now my best options are looking like a new Chevy Spark for 13k, or a new Nissan Versa for 15k. Both have CVT, which I think I'd like, and get great gas mileage. Durability is something that concerns me, which is why in the past I've stuck with Civics. Can someone talk me out of these cars? If not, I'll probably go for the Spark, a new car at 13k sounds good. I'm just worried it's too good to be true.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Delorence Fickle posted:

2003-2006 Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon

the 2wd versions can eek out 17mpg hwy if you aren't a psycho.......at least mine did.

batebro
Sep 24, 2012

:smugbert:
Proposed Budget: $30-45k.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: 2- or 4-door sedan.
How will you be using the car?: Intense amounts of aggressively fast commuting in the DC/VA/MD area.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Hell yes. The more luxury, the better.
What aspects are most important to you? I want something luxurious that goes reasonably fast and has a lot of style. Maintenance costs are generally not an issue, though I don't want a ticking time bomb. High MPG is nice, but not necessary.
Current Car: V8 Volvo XC90.

There are a LOT of luxury vehicles in the area with only 50k on the odometer well within my price range. I'm currently torn between used luxo-barges like 2011 MB S-Classes/BMW 7-Series and four-seater coupe sports cars like older (~2008) Porsche 911s and Jaguar XKs. I love the look of the BMW 6 Series, but understand those to be somewhat mediocre. I can't bear to get a two-seater like the Porsche Cayman (I port friends around sometimes), but don't really need anything very practical. I have this strong desire to blow cash on something very comfortable and obnoxious.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

2003-2006 Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon

the 2wd versions can eek out 17mpg hwy if you aren't a psycho.......at least mine did.

Reality is to be comfortable for that many people, you're gonna take a hit on mileage (and it's still vastly more efficient than driving 3-5 cars there and back). The '97 Suburban we had was awesomely comfortable in any of the three rows for long trips. The Tahoe / Yukon makes it a bit more manageable but guts your ability to carry three rows of people and any significant amount of cargo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

batebro posted:

How will you be using the car?: Intense amounts of aggressively fast commuting in the DC/VA/MD area.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Hell yes. The more luxury, the better.
What aspects are most important to you? I want something luxurious that goes reasonably fast and has a lot of style. Maintenance costs are generally not an issue, though I don't want a ticking time bomb. High MPG is nice, but not necessary.

There are a LOT of luxury vehicles in the area with only 50k on the odometer well within my price range. I'm currently torn between used luxo-barges like 2011 MB S-Classes/BMW 7-Series and four-seater coupe sports cars like older (~2008) Porsche 911s and Jaguar XKs. I love the look of the BMW 6 Series, but understand those to be somewhat mediocre. I can't bear to get a two-seater like the Porsche Cayman (I port friends around sometimes), but don't really need anything very practical. I have this strong desire to blow cash on something very comfortable and obnoxious.

It may not be quite luxurious enough for your tastes, but what about a 2011+ BMW 550i? It'll be a hoot to drive with the twin turbo V8, and new enough that you have years before it becomes a ticking time bomb. I wouldn't go for an XK out of the cars you've listed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

batebro posted:

A 911 won't fit your friends in the back unless they're in first grade. The rear seats are a tax dodge or something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Zero The Hero posted:

I'm desperately searching for a new car. My '95 Civic needs its transmission rebuilt which would cost over 2k, and it's just not worth it. Used Civics appear to run around 15k here unless they're terribly old or have terribly high mileage, and new ones are around 19-20k, but I was hoping to go a bit cheaper.

Right now my best options are looking like a new Chevy Spark for 13k, or a new Nissan Versa for 15k. Both have CVT, which I think I'd like, and get great gas mileage. Durability is something that concerns me, which is why in the past I've stuck with Civics. Can someone talk me out of these cars? If not, I'll probably go for the Spark, a new car at 13k sounds good. I'm just worried it's too good to be true.

Both of those cars are significantly worse than a) a new car of the next couple size class up (Civic, Mazda3, Focus, Cruze etc) b) a slightly more expensive small car (Fit, Fiesta, Sonic), or c) a used Civic, Mazda3, Focus, Cruze, Elantra, Accent etc.

All cars built in TYOOL 2014 will probably last 200k miles while being relatively reliable. Cars are currently far better made and more reliable than at any other time in human history.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I don't know much about the spark, but as for the versa: If there is a hell, you'll get a choice better a mirage or a versa if you get a new car.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Both of those cars are significantly worse than a) a new car of the next couple size class up (Civic, Mazda3, Focus, Cruze etc) b) a slightly more expensive small car (Fit, Fiesta, Sonic), or c) a used Civic, Mazda3, Focus, Cruze, Elantra, Accent etc.

All cars built in TYOOL 2014 will probably last 200k miles while being relatively reliable. Cars are currently far better made and more reliable than at any other time in human history.

I kind of feel the same way, that better cars aren't much more expensive. But it's a bit of a slippery slope. I see the Chevy Spark is only 13k, then I see the Versa at 15k which appears to be a better choice, and by the end of it I always end up at the same conclusion that I should be dropping 20k on a Civic or Corolla S. But then I look at the Chevy Spark again and realize it's 7k cheaper, and realize I don't actually have a reason not to get it.
I make 50k a year now and I could probably afford a 20k car with a 5 year loan, but I'd feel terrible about it for all 5 years.

My problem with used Civics and Corollas is that they all seem to have 80k miles on them, are only around 3k cheaper than the new versions, and come with no warranty. I looked at the fit, but it was only about 1k cheaper than a Civic. A new Chevy Spark is 13k with a warranty. It only has to last around half as long as the Civic, anyway. I keep going back and forth with the same issues and there is no easy solution for me, I don't think.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

nm posted:

I don't know much about the spark, but as for the versa: If there is a hell, you'll get a choice better a mirage or a versa if you get a new car.

This is so. I rented a Mirage for 3 long days in San Diego. What a miserable rattlebox. For all the talk of how much better cars are in the 2010's, there are still some abysmal exceptions at the low end.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Zero The Hero posted:

I kind of feel the same way, that better cars aren't much more expensive. But it's a bit of a slippery slope. I see the Chevy Spark is only 13k, then I see the Versa at 15k which appears to be a better choice, and by the end of it I always end up at the same conclusion that I should be dropping 20k on a Civic or Corolla S. But then I look at the Chevy Spark again and realize it's 7k cheaper, and realize I don't actually have a reason not to get it.
I make 50k a year now and I could probably afford a 20k car with a 5 year loan, but I'd feel terrible about it for all 5 years.

My problem with used Civics and Corollas is that they all seem to have 80k miles on them, are only around 3k cheaper than the new versions, and come with no warranty. I looked at the fit, but it was only about 1k cheaper than a Civic. A new Chevy Spark is 13k with a warranty. It only has to last around half as long as the Civic, anyway. I keep going back and forth with the same issues and there is no easy solution for me, I don't think.

There's an entire other class of cars you're skipping here, like the Ford Fiesta, Honda Fit, and used Hyundai Elantra just like KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted. These are $14k-16k and much better cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

There's an entire other class of cars you're skipping here, like the Ford Fiesta, Honda Fit, and used Hyundai Elantra just like KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted. These are $14k-16k and much better cars.

Fits at the local dealer are 18k, barely any cheaper than the Civics. That's why I skipped over them. I'd be extremely happy with a 14k Fit.