Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
has Gilliam ever done anything of like actual importance? cause it seems like he's been sitting around for three and a half games being cryptic and nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

has Gilliam ever done anything of like actual importance? cause it seems like he's been sitting around for three and a half games being cryptic and nothing else

He did some System XM stuff at the end of OG2.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

bubblegumbo0 posted:

I want ZZ in the next game, it's criminal that they havent appeared yet in the Z universe.
ANIME JA NAI

oh my god I forgot about the few seconds of the evolution of cro-magnon->amuro->kamille->judau in the OP

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rascyc posted:

ANIME JA NAI

oh my god I forgot about the few seconds of the evolution of cro-magnon->amuro->kamille->judau in the OP

Please it's Skull->Monkey->Cro-Magnon->Amuro->Kamille->Judau

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just found out that a SRWOGS2 soundtrack exists after all and bought it. That's the newest one though, and none for the Z series except for the first I guess.

Digital versions on iTunes or whatever would be nice, and I would like a pony as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just found out that a SRWOGS2 soundtrack exists after all and bought it. That's the newest one though, and none for the Z series except for the first I guess.

Digital versions on iTunes or whatever would be nice, and I would like a pony as well.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Trombe has been dead for a long time, right? He should probably just get a new horse.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Trombe has been dead for a long time, right? He should probably just get a new horse.

I wish at some point he had been in a non original game with G Gundam and gotten to ride Funsaiki.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

I wish at some point he had been in a non original game with G Gundam and gotten to ride Funsaiki.
I can imagine him looking at Saiki and saying OH GOD TROMBE and Domon and Fuhai looking at him with very worried eyes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's why Ausenseiter turns into the horse. Elzam no longer needs to ride a horse, he can become the horse.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Gyra_Solune posted:

In the OGverse, he came from the Shadow Mirror universe, and his technology was what allowed the SM to make the dimensional jump in the first place.

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013

maou shoujo posted:

In the OGverse, he came from the Shadow Mirror universe, and his technology was what allowed the SM to make the dimensional jump in the first place.

I thought all Gilliams in the games were the same Gilliam? Maybe I read something wrong, or just made that my headcanon, or something...

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Emuticus posted:

I thought all Gilliams in the games were the same Gilliam? Maybe I read something wrong, or just made that my headcanon, or something...

Yeah, it's not all the same Gilliam. The OG one never refers to other previous games... At least, not that I recall.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

maou shoujo posted:

This is incorrect, he even tells Vindel in his boss dialog that "No I didn't come from your universe either"

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
OG Gilliam and SRW Proper Gilliam are 2 different people, although technically they're 5 different people since there are 3 OG Gilliams (GBA+OVA, anime, PS).

How many Ingrams and Cobrays are there?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

Yeah, it's not all the same Gilliam. The OG one never refers to other previous games... At least, not that I recall.

He does. He makes some vague references to the previous games and in the anime version he actually armors up very briefly IIRC.

Broken Loose posted:

OG Gilliam and SRW Proper Gilliam are 2 different people, although technically they're 5 different people since there are 3 OG Gilliams (GBA+OVA, anime, PS).

How many Ingrams and Cobrays are there?

There are multiple Ingrams but only one Cobray.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

He does. He makes some vague references to the previous games and in the anime version he actually armors up very briefly IIRC.

RIGHT. I totally forgot about that! Especially with the The Inspector bit, it's pretty clear there's only 1 Gilliam.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
In OG1 he says that he and Ingram are both fated to wander over multiple dimensions, then there's the whole "I'm not from your world" thing he does to Vindel (and Axel), and his codes for System XN are all references to Hero Senki. And he has brief moments of recognition for Masaki and I think Fighter Roar, though he plays them off.

There really is only one Gilliam.

I really hope they do some sort of dimensional traveler's club with him and Cobray when Cobray finally shows up for real. I just want to see them hanging out a bit, it would be cool.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Ing Egret shows up and they treat him like Ingram's annoying little brother.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So I just wrapped up a game and I was thinking of starting up Gundam Breaker 1 because why not I have some time to kill before Christmas, but does anyone have some kind of starter guide or whathaveyou? I took a quick look around and apparently the suggested guide is roughly an hour long series of videos! I'd really just rather have an article I can read that explains all the mechanics and maybe some screenshot pictures like the Gundam SEED Battle Destiny guide.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Policenaut posted:

So I just wrapped up a game and I was thinking of starting up Gundam Breaker 1 because why not I have some time to kill before Christmas, but does anyone have some kind of starter guide or whathaveyou? I took a quick look around and apparently the suggested guide is roughly an hour long series of videos! I'd really just rather have an article I can read that explains all the mechanics and maybe some screenshot pictures like the Gundam SEED Battle Destiny guide.

Depending on your budget you might be better off waiting since Gundam Breaker 2 is out slightly before christmas.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Those videos are way too long. When I'm not phone posting I'll see what I can find on my hard drive. Or we can coop and I can answer questions live, if you like.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Banpresto apparently registered this site

http://srw-z3-tengoku.suparobo.jp/

So maybe we'll get some SRWZ3-2 info soon.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Probably a Christmas announcement, I'd guess.

Caros posted:

Depending on your budget you might be better off waiting since Gundam Breaker 2 is out slightly before christmas.

I actually bought the Greatest Hits release a few months back alongside some other import Vita stuff.

Midjack posted:

Those videos are way too long. When I'm not phone posting I'll see what I can find on my hard drive. Or we can coop and I can answer questions live, if you like.

Any kind of text stuff would be greatly appreciated. I hate videos because if I ever need to go back to something I have to scroll through the video and it's so inconvenient compared to like a wiki guide or translated screenshots.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...So I kind of want to do a "demo" of sorts for a fangame. It'd just be six stages since that marks a very clear cutting-off point as Second Impact and like every other alien invasion apocalypse along with a short time skip happens right after that. It would pretty much be Macross Zero (and probably Hikaru would show up too, the route split on stage 5 to actually be on the Macross when it folds wouldn't happen here), the end of Gundam 00, and the first three episodes of Kissdum, with Getter Robo, Godam, and the Blue Earth tagging along (also the first episode of Gunbuster happens but Noriko doesn't stick around), and guest appearances by Shinji, Takeru, that one dude from Blue Gender, and M3 stuff since the backstory of that folds nicely into the events of Macross Zero.

Mostly this'd be to test if such a thing would be feasible to keep up for a whole game, if C&Ds would get out and shut things down without having indeed made an entire game, and examine the possibility of some sort of Kickstarter-esque thing (this is kinda unlikely since it does indeed involve making money indirectly from another IP but even in beta demo stage there would be SUPER ROBOT WARS IS THE PROPERTY OF BANPRESTO AND NAMCO THIS IS A NON-PROFIT MEDIA MADE BY UNAFFILIATED FANS plastered at every noticeable point conceivable and indeed, even if a kickstarter happened it would be a free game).

It'd probably be pretty much an extensive hack of J or something, using a similar engine to that (or possibly K or L instead, DS games are harder to get into though). Counting everything there'd be about...at most 75 units total (this is counting stuff like the five identical recolored NES-1 vipers and the Get Machines, and of course enemy units) and 10 songs, which is not exactly something to throw together in an afternoon, but not some huge daunting megaproject either.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Probably a Christmas announcement, I'd guess.

I actually bought the Greatest Hits release a few months back alongside some other import Vita stuff.

Any kind of text stuff would be greatly appreciated. I hate videos because if I ever need to go back to something I have to scroll through the video and it's so inconvenient compared to like a wiki guide or translated screenshots.

OK, I don't have anything on my hard drive but I do have my cheatsheet notecards from when I was playing a lot several months ago.

First off, a lot of the menus are in English, or have English subtitles, so you get a lot of help there. In the customization screens, the parts list the unit number in English (RX-78-2, MS-06S, etc) so even if you can't read the Japanese text you know that it's the Gundam's backpack or a Zaku shield.

Controls (Vita)
Left stick: move
D-Pad: equip option part
Right stick up: target nearest elite/ace/powerful enemy
Right stick left/right: switch target
Right stick down: target nearest enemy
Start: pause
Square: Horizontal melee
Triangle: Vertical melee
Circle: use equipped option part
X: Jump, hold to keep going up
X + Left stick: boost in that direction
L: Hold to switch to ranged weapon
L + Square: basic ranged attack
L + triangle: special ranged attack (charge attack, burst fire, etc)

R: Hold to block, also hold to bring your parts back together if your gunpla is broken apart
R + X: Dodge
R + Square, Triangle, Circle: each of these will activate an EX action you loaded into those slots at setup (Note 1)

Touchscreen lower left: Reset camera to behind you
Touchscreen lower right: Toggle camera auto lock on/off
Touchscreen bottom center: Awakening mode (Note 2)

(Note 1) You earn EX actions by leveling up; some of them require special parts (Satellite Cannon requires the X's backpack, All-Range Attack requires a backpack with funnels).

(Note 2) Partway through the game you will unlock the awakening gauge (aka tension gauge), when you do this you'll see a meter slowly build up during the level. When full, tap the meter and you get some benefits - HP regeneration, greater melee range, more shots before ranged has to cool down, and you look like you just engaged Trans-Am.

Stats in "Set Up your Gunpla" screen:
Just to the left of your gunpla's model you see "Gunpla specs"
Health
Physical Defense
Beam Defense
Shield
Melee Attack
Range Attack
Max Points Cost (Note 3)
Current Points Cost

Below that, "Weapons Aptitude", which are positive or negative multipliers to your damage with those types of weapon.

Saber/sword
Axe
2-hand sword
Whip
Lance
Unarmed
Rifle
Heavy/long Rifle
Machine gun
Gatling gun
Bazooka

When swapping parts out, blue numbers mean it's higher that what's currently equipped, red numbers are lower. The only one that's better to see red is the current cost stat. For aptitude, blue bars to the right are better than red bars to the left; no bars means no effect one way or the other.

(Note 3) Each part you equip has a point value, which counts against your max cost. Max Cost increases as your OS level increases, I believe. Current cost is how many points your gunpla is currently worth, and comes into the game when you're playing a stage where each time you die your team's strength is decreased by the cost of your unit (e.g. 3000 team strength can lose a 1000-point unit 3 times or a 500-point unit 6 times before the team loses).

I'll get together another post about building and playing shortly, but that gets you started.

The upload save function is for cross saving to PS3 and/or backing up on their server if you lose your Vita or something, so you can ignore it for now.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 30, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

if C&Ds would get out and shut things down without having indeed made an entire game, and examine the possibility of some sort of Kickstarter-esque thing
Talking entirely out of my rear end being that I have no law training, you can probably get away with creating an SRW fangame with liscensed series since I doubt most companies will care, but I suppose there are a few that might be sue-happy (cough Macross), I think mostly because it'll probably be known under the SRW name.

But Kickstarter is just going to get you into trouble.

quote:

It'd probably be pretty much an extensive hack of J or something, using a similar engine to that (or possibly K or L instead, DS games are harder to get into though).
Are tools for that games advanced to that point yet anyway?

Anyway, insert SRW Eternity joke here.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I look forward to playing your game about Mobile Wear Gunblock and Bazinga P teaming up.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

I look forward to playing your game about Mobile Wear Gunblock and Bazinga P teaming up.

Don't forget about Gotten Robot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm looking forward to Venusian Predecessor Nabisco.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That Gundam Breaker talk reminded me, there was a new PV a few days ago for the sequel that I think everyone should see, even if they don't care overmuch for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnXeSgjUbWI

MAMMOTH GUNDAM. THIS IS THE BEST THING I NEVER KNEW I ALWAYS WANTED.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

That Gundam Breaker talk reminded me, there was a new PV a few days ago for the sequel that I think everyone should see, even if they don't care overmuch for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnXeSgjUbWI

MAMMOTH GUNDAM. THIS IS THE BEST THING I NEVER KNEW I ALWAYS WANTED.

Huh, when did a Koyasu-voiced character pilot Perfect Gundam and Perfect Zeong? The joke there that Perfect Strike and Epyon's pilots are both also Koyasu-voiced so I assume the other two are in the joke too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Playing the game

It's the same for multiplayer or single player. If you play single, you'll have some AI buddies with you; they generally play OK except during defense missions (we'll get to mission types in a moment).

L stick: walk
R stick: camera
Start: Menu, selections are "Messages", "Options", and "Exit Hangar"

When you're in the hangar you can walk around and look at the robots from different angles. Walk up to your robot and press circle to go to the Gunpla Setup screen (same on accessible from the main menu). Walk up to someone else's and press circle to look at the parts and stats.

Walk to the pedestal near the center of the room and press circle to select a mission to play. The missions are divided into chapters; the leftmost tab is "all missions". There are 100 missions total. Some missions get a + sign on the right when you beat them once, they are the same thing but harder as a + mission. If you want to select a different mission, go back to the pedestal and pick a different one from the list.

Mission types:
Normal - kill everything
Defend - keep a memory core alive against waves of attackers
Survival - like normal, but the level ends if you die
Defend Survival - like defend, but the level ends if you die
Team Attack - duel another team; each time a team member dies the team's strength is lowered by the robot's cost.
Area Raid - king of the hill. Stand near the checkpoint with no enemies in the radius to capture it. Once captured the checkpoints stay captured; get them all to clear the area.

Survive missions are much easier in multiplayer because human players can revive each other (and you can revive CPU partners) - if you revive a downed teammate it doesn't count as a kill. CPU partners can't ever revive human players, though.

After you've selected a mission, go to your robot and press square, this makes you ready and when all players are ready (multiplayer only) the mission starts.

When playing you have a map in the upper right, list of EX actions and equipped option part in the lower right, your health (blue, with number) and boost (green) in the lower left, your teammates' health above yours, and time limit in the upper left.

If you lose all your health you respawn (except in survival missions) at a penalty of some points

On the map, your number is your position and teammates' numbers are their positions. Your field of view is also indicated. White dots are item boxes, yellow dots are sprues, red dots are enemies.

Item boxes will have either green orbs (health), purple orbs (ammo recover for option parts except health packs), or sparkles (GP - in game money).

Pick up all sprues before departing an area. In team attack, area raid, and after some big fights, item boxes will appear - make sure to open them and collect the contents before departing the area as they contain good sprues.

While playing, you can't pause even in single player. Start brings up a map of the overall level, with your current sprues and money collected also displayed. Most levels are several areas that you move between; often you have to kill everything to open up the next area. Some enemies don't spawn until you cross a certain point so walk all over the area if you haven't gotten everything yet. Some elite units won't spawn if you haven't earned a certain number of points in the area - you earn points for kills, kill streaks, and a variety of other actions. The Heroic Finish EX action also gives you points.

In multiplayer there isn't any competition for pickups - everyone gets all the sprues that the team collected, and pickups don't disappear for you until you pick them up - all 4 people can get the same health orb, one time each. However, you do get individual points for kills.

When you're all done, you can hold select to skip the remainder of the 30 second post level countdown (grab all the sprues from the final boss).

At the end of the level you see a graph that shows all players' point totals. Above a certain amount (different for each stage) is Norma Cleared, which gives you decals for parts. You equip these when painting in the customization area. You'll then get a display of all the parts you picked up. Press triangle to take them all into your inventory; unless you're post-post-post-game you should always build and sell them for money. If you died during the level, you'll lose a random sprue for each death.

Sprues have different quality that increases as you progress through the missions. White HG<Blue HG<Purple HG <Purple MG<Red MG<Gold MG. This will come into play when building.

Some weapons are better than others at causing parts drops when you destroy an enemy, the Satellite Cannon is particularly good as are axes.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 30, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Sold. Right after watching this I realized I needed this in my life. Though I'm not sure why the heck the PS3 version is so much more expensive than the Vita version. Also, free DLC? yes please. Why the heck is Bandai Namco being so nice to me lately?

Also is there online multiplayer? And can a PS3 player play online with a Vita player?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hahaha. Looking at the unit list at the end:

They include Build Strike Gundam, the three Try Units, and from AGE they include AGE-1, AGE-1 Titus and all three forms of AGE-2 but absolutely nothing from AGE-3.

Go gently caress yourself, Kio Asuno.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, when did a Koyasu-voiced character pilot Perfect Gundam and Perfect Zeong? The joke there that Perfect Strike and Epyon's pilots are both also Koyasu-voiced so I assume the other two are in the joke too.

Mu La Flaga (Koyasu) was the pilot of the Perfect strike, and Koyasu appears to have done voicework for Plamo-Kyoshiro, so that is probably where he did the Perfect Zeong.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Getsuya posted:

Sold. Right after watching this I realized I needed this in my life. Though I'm not sure why the heck the PS3 version is so much more expensive than the Vita version. Also, free DLC? yes please. Why the heck is Bandai Namco being so nice to me lately?

Also is there online multiplayer? And can a PS3 player play online with a Vita player?

Yes to online multiplayer, unsure if PS3 can play with Vita. Possibly, considering it's at the very least cross-save. Also, if you think that's good, the Gundam Breaker devs are SERIOUSLY nice. They released pretty much a full expansion to the original game, with some 40-odd missions and a few new suits, including a few new mission types as well, for absolutely free. Not even as DLC, they just patched it in. Those guys are great, and if they keep it up, Gundam Breaker 2 is shaping up to be a seriously fun time.

Can one of our Japanese speakers translate the bit where they seem to be talking about upgrading weapons to different models, if they don't mind? That feature wasn't in the original Gundam Breaker, and it seems pretty cool.

Edit: I just spotted what looks like a Blue Destiny Unit 1 head on a rewatch. Delightful.

Also looking at the list at the end, EX-S Gundam is under missions, but not units. This makes me simultaneously happy that we'll probably have an Ex-S Gundam boss fight, and sad that this means it won't be playable.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 30, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Hahaha. Looking at the unit list at the end:

They include Build Strike Gundam, the three Try Units, and from AGE they include AGE-1, AGE-1 Titus and all three forms of AGE-2 but absolutely nothing from AGE-3.

Go gently caress yourself, Kio Asuno.

Goddammit, if only anyone loving else could've piloted that the AGE-3 and FX, I really like those.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Mu La Flaga (Koyasu) was the pilot of the Perfect strike, and Koyasu appears to have done voicework for Plamo-Kyoshiro, so that is probably where he did the Perfect Zeong.

Yeah, I got perfect Strike and Epyon, I was wondering about Pefect Gundam and Perfect Zeong. That explains that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Can one of our Japanese speakers translate the bit where they seem to be talking about upgrading weapons to different models, if they don't mind? That feature wasn't in the original Gundam Breaker, and it seems pretty cool.

Enemies no longer drop just straight up parts, they also drop materials (in the video the example it zooms in on is him picking up some high quality plastic). If you have enough materials you can evolve your current parts into various more powerful versions. It shows the example of a laser rifle going through various upgrades and also shows a head piece with 5 different other head pieces it can be evolved into.

• Locked thread