Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I'm here to defend my wounded pride, GIGANTIC penis, and automatic gearbox. Its all about the individual box - I'm not saying all slushers are good but some have their perks.

Mine for instance is 13 years old, pushing way more power than it should, and it:
- doesn't drop any boost through changes
- lets you bounce the rev limiter as much as you like (when using the paddles)
- lets me poodle to work with almost zero effort
- locks up the rears when you down shift too early

It also:
- probably drains more than 50kw of power
- won't shift hard before warming up
- won't allow me to do hard launches

I'm hoping to get it rebuilt with a shift kit and 3.5k stally next year but I'll have to ship it about 5,000km's to Perth from Townsville because I want it done properly and all the local shops have no experience with them.

(I miss driving a manual but not much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

tobu posted:

I'm here to defend my wounded pride, GIGANTIC penis, and automatic gearbox. Its all about the individual box - I'm not saying all slushers are good but some have their perks.

Mine for instance is 13 years old, pushing way more power than it should, and it:
- doesn't drop any boost through changes
- lets you bounce the rev limiter as much as you like (when using the paddles)
- lets me poodle to work with almost zero effort
- locks up the rears when you down shift too early

It also:

I'm hoping to get it rebuilt with a shift kit and 3.5k stally next year but I'll have to ship it about 5,000km's to Perth from Townsville because I want it done properly and all the local shops have no experience with them.

(I miss driving a manual but not much)

What car do you own?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

tobu posted:

Why are you concerned about kw if you're not time traveling in a Delorean?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

tobu posted:

It also:

R34 Skyline right?

In that case you should add
- Is never in the correct gear if you leave it to its own devices
- Is incredibly slow to change in 'manual' mode

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I just made a terrible mistake. Went from a stock, clean R31 Sedan, to it's nephew. The.. venerable? R33 (mine is not lust-worthy).

photobomb: my housemate's uncared for IS200.

I believe earlier someone posted a Monaro (Pontiac GTO?) with questionable aftermarked rims. Unfortunately my car falls well within the "even though you can.. you should not". The up side is there are plenty of aftermarket (and OEM) parts. The downside: dealing with Skyline owners who are sure their damaged interior trim is worth more than it's weight in gold. I'll be looking for either some BBS LMs, or 33 GTR rims at some point. Need to chase down a few interior components first. Like a climate control unit :downs:

Why yes, I would like lovely silver paint over my interior! Basically, I have one of the last models of the series before Nissan updated to the R34 with the NEO 25. Which can make parts slightly more irritating to come by, as, with Japanese and their infinite wisdom.. they released a series 1, 1.5, 2 aaaaaaaaaaand a series 3 for a whole 3 minutes.

Basically I'll drive this for the next few months, see how I like it. It doesn't look the greatest, but it runs amazingly. I've got a friend who is very AI. Anyway, helped him by taking it off his hands. It has a few issues, but it's still an amazingly fun to drive manual turbro (bro). As it's sat for the last 4-5 years the clearcoat is done for. I'll consider doing maybe a vinyl wrap or something. We'll see...

fake edit: oh god I am a Skyline stereotype :shepicide:

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
I'm either a masochist or an addict. Possibly both. I bought another 406. 2001 model this time, everything bar the stereo works. MOT until August, no advisories. Previous owner changed the oil every 6 months and generally looked after it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

My future wife thought it would be good for me to have a couple of photos with my old rover during our engagement photos.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My future wife thought it would be good for me to have a couple of photos with my old rover during our engagement photos.

Because it'll be the first thing she makes you sell?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

Because it'll be the first thing she makes you sell?

Shockingly... she actually likes it. :3:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
MARRY HER.

E: content!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Want to emptyquote this

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Copycat stole angryhampster's photo ideas!!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pi Mu Rho posted:

I'm either a masochist or an addict. Possibly both. I bought another 406. 2001 model this time, everything bar the stereo works. MOT until August, no advisories. Previous owner changed the oil every 6 months and generally looked after it.

I really like the look of the 405s and 406s. The newer Pugs look like bloated versions of their earlier selves, which is sad.

cursedshitbox posted:

MARRY HER.

E: content!

What happened?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lightbulb Out posted:

Copycat stole angryhampster's photo ideas!

Mine isn't as cool as yours. And you did say I could use a couple ideas ;)

Edit: we are getting hitched 5/30. She asked to use the LR3 to shuttle herself and bridesmaids to the wedding with her dad driving them. She was hoping the jag would be done for our getaway car but I just don't think its going to happen.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 27, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Shockingly... she actually likes it. :3:

She likes it because she believes your kids will be safe in it, as you drive over lesser cars that get in your way.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

I really like the look of the 405s and 406s. The newer Pugs look like bloated versions of their earlier selves, which is sad.

What happened?

Service position. :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Nice ride. I've always loved that deep blue color.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Old photo, car is in storage for customary 6-month hiatus... big plans next season, though. Wheels, full exhaust and a few visual changes planned.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008
So my 2003 Audi A4 3L V6 ate one of its camshafts, leaving me with a broken car and at the whims of the dealer warranty as well as filled with bitter regrets and hatred for everything with four rings on it. So what would be the responsible choice for another vehicle for getting to work, while sorting the whole mess out?

Well, buying an 18 year old hydro-pneumatic Citroen XM with nearly a quarter of a million kilometers on the clock. What else?

Mechanically everything important seems in order. The 167HP 3L V6 runs nice, uses no Oil and did well over 20MPG on my trip from Munich to Stuttgart, which is all you could ask for from such a machine under normal Autobahn conditions (as the winter tires are somewhat worn and only rated for 190kp/h, I did not push past that). The hydro-pneumatic works well and is dry. The ride is fantastic. There are a few bits and niggles, but nothing that can't be sorted out. Furthermore, as far as I can tell, real rust is nowhere to be found. The XM is in general not terribly susceptible for rust, but 18 years are a long time, so that is fortunate!

The slammed look is the normal state for the suspension in parking. The car will very slowly sink to the ground after engine turn off and get up, once the engine pressurizes the hydraulics again.

The car has Citroen's DIRAVI (WIKI: "Direction à rappel asservi" literally meaning "steering with controlled return"). This system was pioneered in the Citroen SM and can be described as a hydraulic steer-by-wire system. Only in emergencies, mechanical contact between steering column and wheels is established. At all other times, your steering wheel position simply gives the reference value for a hydraulic control loop, which then adjusts the wheels accordingly. This means zero feedback through the steering wheel, but it also eliminates any unwanted steering disturbance like torque steer (useful in a car that came with up to 200HP and fron-wheel-drive) or tire defects without involving the driver. The steering feels still very direct, as there is absolutely no play in the steering with the hydraulics pressurized. Furthermore, as the name suggests, if one lets go of the steering wheel, it returns to zero, even at stand still! This might sound strange but becomes second nature fast. The steering system will vary how easy turning the wheel is, depending on speed wheel speed.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I loving love Citroen space-cars, please post more pictures of yours when you get the chance :allears:

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

I loving love Citroen space-cars, please post more pictures of yours when you get the chance :allears:

Will do :) As it is dark now, I'll get to it tomorrow.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Plankalkuel posted:

This means zero feedback through the steering wheel, but it also eliminates any unwanted steering disturbance like torque steer (useful in a car that came with up to 200HP and fron-wheel-drive) or tire defects without involving the driver.

You need to come to America. We stuff 300+ HP V8 engines in front wheel drive cars with no regard for torque steer. Seriously, Impala SS, it just yanks the wheel back and forth on you.

But more pictures needed of the dash on this thing!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Plankalkuel posted:

Well, buying an 18 year old hydro-pneumatic Citroen XM with nearly a quarter of a million kilometers on the clock. What else?

Living the dream. As far as I can tell, the only real issues with the XM are the electrics and the fuel economy. Oh and rust, as with any car of that vintage, but you seem to have dodged that.

I've never actually driven a DIRAVI-equipped car, I guess I'll have to put it on my bucket list. The XM still has the rubber button brake pedal, right?

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Jay-Zeus posted:

Old photo, car is in storage for customary 6-month hiatus... big plans next season, though. Wheels, full exhaust and a few visual changes planned.

What wheels are you thinking about? Also nice G8. Mine looks about the same except I don't have the sunroof.

Also the automatic chat. When I bought the g8 5+ years ago the gxp's were commanding a $15k premium. So I settled on the GT and that auto has been fine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was too lazy to clear a spot in the garage before I went out to work. The wind and snow turned it into a 5 series gt.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008
Sadly, the dash is already the sanitized version. This WIKI page shows the first version of the steering wheel, which looks delightfully Citroenish. The rest is pretty similar on my car. Pictures will follow.

Citroen seem to tone down their convention braking madness with each new car :( Speaking of which, the DIRAVI was introduced as a safety feature in the SM and featured only two turns lock to lock. This also necessitated the speed dependent steering resistance, because otherwise sneezing at >120mph would send you of the road in a right angle. This very direct steering was gradually reduced until the XM had about 3,6 turns lock to lock, which is even more than for the XM variants with normal assisted steering. The feeling is still quite good and inspires confidence, as the car simply does what you say and figures out how make it happen without you noticing. Funnily, the DIRAVI in my car is for the most part unchanged from its inception in the early seventies. According to what I'm reading, it is not even that much more complex or expensive as the normal assisted steering system. Still, if it starts leaking or otherwise failing, poo poo gets complicated fast, as it is difficult to reach in the engine bay :ohdear:

The XM has a normal brake pedal, but the brakes behind it are still fed by the central hydraulics. The operation is exactly as one would expect from a "normal" car from the driver's end.

The electrics can be troublesome, but the common issues are no real show stopper. From what I remember, the ABS wheel speed sensors can be an issue. As with a lot of cars from the period, the dot matrix display to the left of the steering wheel will eventually fail, as its cables dissolve over time. However, compared to my second to last car, a 20 year old Mitsubishi Sigma, the interior build quality is inferior, but not a complete disaster by any stretch.

Rust is an issue at the mounting points for the jack. Those are NOT points where you should lift the car up in a workshop and doing so will bend them and compromise the rust protection. There are a couple of other rust spots, but they are more a thing to check, not places, where you would always expect something.

Fuel economy in my case is what you would expect from a period 3L V6. I don't remember reading anything particularly bad about the other engine variants. Of course none of them are frugal by any modern standard.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe

_firehawk posted:

What wheels are you thinking about? Also nice G8. Mine looks about the same except I don't have the sunroof.

Also the automatic chat. When I bought the g8 5+ years ago the gxp's were commanding a $15k premium. So I settled on the GT and that auto has been fine.

I picked a set of staggered polished 20" Camaro SS wheels sort of on a whim, I wasn't planning on new tires for at least another season. I also go a set of Solstice wheel caps that pop right in and looking at getting some overlays (red) for the emblem. The setup should look absolutely wicked and I can't wait for the spring.

Read enough on g8board and other forums to get a feel for fitment issues with the Camaro wheels. I will be going with 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 rear, which seems to be the most popular approach. I have not yet decided on what tire to go with among a General A/S max, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo or Nitto NT555. As mentioned, I didn't plan on having to replace tires and it was kind of disheartening to see a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 2 tires wear off in only two seasons (<30,000 km). I suppose I drive it pretty hard.

Some people mention tire rubbing due to the higher offset on the Camaro wheels, even with the 'conservative' width taken, so I played it safe and picked up an Eastwood fender roller on sale. I might post a thread when the time comes to show off the results - I plan to paint the calipers and put on braided SS lines at the same time.

I picked up my G8 at an amazing price 3 years ago from a family that needed a 3-row SUV - I guess the dealership lowballed them something crazy on a trade-in. I've always owned Pontiac and is my dream car. I always get a lot of attention at car shows once people realize it's different and learn that it is the 4-door Australian cousin to the Camaro.

I don't regret the automatic at all for what I use it for - I find the manual mode suitable for being loud when I want and drive/sport for cruising. I will be getting a remote tune in the spring, which should liven it up, as part of my header/exhaust upgrade.

As for mods on the G8, I have an HSV steering wheel, poly strut mounts, Camaro tranny pan w/ CTS filter (upgrade for the cost of original replacements), Solo axleback exhaust, Spectre cold air intake, shark fin antenna (not shown), sport pack pedal kit (not installed), and a GXP rear diffuser.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

All tucked in for the winter! :3:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Guess who had to take a detour down a country road to get to work the other day?

I only washed it a couple of weeks ago. :negative:

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008
Got some more pictures and even videos!

The engine bay: On the upper left and right, you see the characteristic green balls of the HP suspension. These balls are filled with nitrogen at several hundred PSI. The hydraulic fluid is separated from the gas by a rubber membrane. The suspension essentially consists of cylinders, which force hydraulic fluid into the gas cushion. In case of the XM, there is a third sphere in in the middle of each axle, which can be switch on and off by valves. When it is on, the suspension is soft, when it is disconnected, the suspension becomes firm (in very relative terms!).

This is not the most advanced suspension from Citroen, not even from that period. That price goes to the Xantia Activa, which sports an ungodly amount of these spheres and has practically everything in its suspension setup controlled by hydraulics. What you get for that much complexity is a car that will not lean into corners at all!. The Xantia was essentially the mid-level car from Citroen at the time but the Activa variant can do cornering Gs of up to 1,2G on standard run-off-the-mill tires. 1.2G is super car territory! Get one of these with the 190HP V6 and you can haul serious rear end!

The upper part of the dash is nothing spectacular. No Citroen madness here :( The weirdest thing is the gage on the very right, which does a little interpretive dance on engine start. The dance tells XM gurus how much oil and other fluids the car has. After that it falls silent for the rest of the drive.

Nothing spectacular here. Climate control and a soon-to-be-replaced radio. The AC needs a refill (at least the AC compressor engages), otherwise it works fine.

The center console is more interesting! The number pad releases the engine immobilizer, which is very cool and very gimmicky. To the left of it are the mirror controls, which are currently broken :(
To the right from the shift lever is the control for the ride hight. Center is normal. One position up is elevated ride hight for low speed driving on rough terrain. Both min and max positions are pretty much for maintenance only.
To the left of the shift lever, you see the ~~~SPORT MODE~~~ switch, which will make the car's ride a liiitle bit less soft now and then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMRkP47HQ3Y

This is the starting procedure with numpad code (:ssh:), initial rise and rise into maximum ride hight. Note the broken display. The clicking noise is the pressure pump for the hydraulics, which needs to pressurize the system.

Maximum ride hight: For when you need to infiltrate a Bro Truck convention!

Note: With the car as high as this, you could get under the car and work on it. Also note: The car will come down on you like a, well, car when hydraulic pressure disappears and this will kill you!

Minimum ride hight: :rice: Herrafrush :rice:

Normal ride hight: :france: As André Citroën intended! :france:

The car comes with a little cute third sun visor in the middle, for those annoying moments, when the sun shines through the gap above your rear view mirror! Every car should have this!

Rear end. Yeah the car is filthy. This is a seasonal problem.

Double rear window, so your passengers will not get cold or hot, when the trunk is opened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANI5tyJvl6w

This is the DIRAVI in action. Note, the car is standing still but the wheel still returns to zero.

Plankalkuel fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 30, 2014

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That car is SO. loving. COOL.

And now I want one.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 249 days!)

Fart Pipe posted:

And now I want one.

Me too. Why can't we get some of the awesomely strange cars? I mean we had Renault for a little while, and what'd that get us? le Car. Where are our new Citroens? THANKS OBAMA

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

All we got was the horrible Alliance though as far as I can remember. I had one that I messed around with as a kid and even at that age I knew it was lovely. Most peoples stories about them end like: "yea I had one but it caught on fire while I was driving and it burned to the ground."

I bent the frame on mine by jacking it up and it wasnt even rusty. I dont mean I made dents in the frame, I mean when I set it back on the ground the right rear of the car was higher than the rest :psyduck:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fart Pipe posted:

And now I want one.

This. Now to go search craigslist for Alfa 164s because thats the closest I'll get here. :(

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008
Thanks, I like the car very much.

Sadly Citroen has pretty much stopped building this kind of mad car, even the XM is downright sensible, compared with earlier models. You might as well save up some money and get an SM, which is a properly mad Citroen. I know I will get one one day :allears:

One interesting detail to make non-XM owners feel better: See the dome-shaped structures, where normal cars would put their struts? Well the HP-suspension needs to have a connection to the hydraulics and there has to be some springy thing for when the suspension collapses from pressure loss (at least this is my guess, why what I'm about to tell you is the way it is). Now, the black dome-like structure under the sphere is rubber, which connects the top of the strut to the strut tower. The rubber-metal connections on this part can rot and recognizing that rot can be next to impossible. Failure of said connections will lead to a sudden reshape of your bonnet and half your seat spontaneously being stuck in in your firmly clenched anus. Surprisingly, from what I've heard, the driving characteristics will not be compromised to a dangerous degree. What constitutes sign of rot is hotly debated in the XM community. The most interesting advice, I've stumbled upon was to take a peace of old seat belt, put it over the top of the strut and fix it with the screws that hold the dome to the strut tower. This way, the bonnet will survive unscathed. I think, I can afford the ~170€ per side for replacement parts and have them changed pro-actively somewhere in the future.

Some more notes about the videos:
* There is a display on the right of the steering wheel as well. It seems to be entirely dead. It should show the time and outside temperature. Another thing on the list of stuff to fix at some point.
* The big STOP light is a typical Citroen thing which stems from the DS, I believe. It tells you to do exactly that. It will light up in conjunction with major system faults and also tell you when hydraulic pressure is suitable for normal operation. That is, why it stays on a little longer than the rest of the lights.
* The background noise in the DIRAVI video is the ceiling fan. I haven't figured out, where the fan is or where it blows, but whatever it does it does with inappropriate noise levels. Cleaning it should fix that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Plankalkuel posted:

* The big STOP light is a typical Citroen thing which stems from the DS, I believe. It tells you to do exactly that. It will light up in conjunction with major system faults and also tell you when hydraulic pressure is suitable for normal operation. That is, why it stays on a little longer than the rest of the lights.

It's there on my Peugeot 406 as well (as it shares a bunch of parts with the Xantia), I just love it. Other cars may have their "check engine" lights and whatnot, but Peugeots/Citroëns have a big "STOP" light. I think it actually flashes in certain conditions.

And why is the tiny shade above the rear view mirror not a thing today? And the double rear window? Luxury car makers are always trying to one-up each other, but all they come up with are motorized cup holder lids and massaging seats that feel like they're molesting you.

I want a big Citroën. I don't care if it's a DS, an SM, a CX, an XM, a Xantia, a C6 or even a (second-gen) C5. I want that French comfort and madnessbrilliance.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

And why is the tiny shade above the rear view mirror not a thing today? And the double rear window? Luxury car makers are always trying to one-up each other, but all they come up with are motorized cup holder lids and massaging seats that feel like they're molesting you.

I want a big Citroën. I don't care if it's a DS, an SM, a CX, an XM, a Xantia, a C6 or even a (second-gen) C5. I want that French comfort and madnessbrilliance.

My 1994 Mitsubishi Sigma had a third shade as well. Maybe it was a late 80's to mid 90's thing?

In other news: It seems the XM has marked its territory with a bit of hydraulic fluid. Oh dear :cripes: I hope this stems from the PO overfilling the fluid reservoir and me playing around with the suspension for pictures, as excess fluid is apparently "vented to atmosphere". Either that or the car doesn't like the fact it starts to get cold.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I had a pretty decent rental for the past week :shrug:

It handles alright and the interior feels nice. Really surprised with the great quality to be honest.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

awesome-express posted:

I had a pretty decent rental for the past week :shrug:

It handles alright and the interior feels nice. Really surprised with the great quality to be honest.

I thought that was the new Legacy until I saw the badge and rear quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Even if they seem a little more generic now, the new Sonatas look so much better to me than the last gen. The 2010-14 models were hideous.