Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I disagree that 'Copy' is necessarily overpowered. Because it can't copy the same piece twice in a row, it can't establish any repetitive strategies that cards like Gravity, Delete, etc. can. I do think it's the most independent piece though, which made it a great choice for Yeonseung.

I loved this episode, and I'm definitely rooting for Mentality King to take it all. I'm also glad to see at least one of the women make it through.

As for next week, I really want to see Sangmin vs Dongmin and Jinho vs Hyunmin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Way to go Yeonjoo! :neckbeard:

So drat hype for the next episode.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeonsoung spoke the truth during the deatmatch, can't believe she is so competent. Also wouldn't you have met tons of same age friends when you went to school???

Oh and was Yoohyun's guest the same woman who was always behind the scenes for yohwan last season?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'll eat my hat. Yeonjoo loving destroyed poker dude! :aaa:

Also Mentality King dominating the racing game was so satisfying, this is my favorite season 3 episode.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The best change was not having two losers determined by the game, but two winners. Made for a lot more fighting and made the thing way more tense.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

Davincie posted:

yeonsoung spoke the truth during the deatmatch, can't believe she is so competent. Also wouldn't you have met tons of same age friends when you went to school???

Oh and was Yoohyun's guest the same woman who was always behind the scenes for yohwan last season?

Yeah, she's Yohwan's wife, also known as SlayerS Jessica. I don't follow the StarCraft 2 scene too closely but she was the manager for the SlayerS pro-SC2 team and is a fiery personality. She seemed to frequently be involved in drama, attacking netizens, saying controversial comments.

This was a really good episode. I've been rooting for Dongmin this whole time because of his masterful command of the game but it's nice to see the tables turned on him for once. I was rooting for Yeonjoo also. She's basically been a follower the entire series but it's hilarious that she was able to literally use her follower ability to her advantage in the deathmatch

Also, I laughed at the flashbacks during the deathmatch; I thought they were going to force another love relationship. I wouldn't mind being close to Yeonjoo though ;-*

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 29, 2014

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot
Dongmin was kind of an rear end in a top hat this game though. He kept talking about how Yoohyun should think of the team first instead of individually winning, and Yoohyun did so and even made Dongmin to win, but it took no time at all for Dongmin to send him to the deathmatch.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
What a satisfying episode.

Running With Spoons posted:

Dongmin was kind of an rear end in a top hat this game though. He kept talking about how Yoohyun should think of the team first instead of individually winning, and Yoohyun did so and even made Dongmin to win, but it took no time at all for Dongmin to send him to the deathmatch.

It wasn't a unilateral decision. Yeonseung had Yeonjoo to protect, since she was his only ally this episode, while Dongmin had Hyunmin and Yoohyun who tried to be a member of both teams with success in neither. So naturally the choice of Yoohyun was where they met in the middle.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Yeonseung's clearly been mulling this game over in his head for awhile now, it was real nice to see him get his here.

Xoidanor posted:

Really looking forward to Jinho and Sangmin running circles around everyone.

"WINNING SEASON 3 SHOULD BE YOUR ULTIMATE GOAL!" Preach, Sangmin, Preach!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'll eat my hat. Yeonjoo loving destroyed poker dude! :aaa:

Also Mentality King dominating the racing game was so satisfying, this is my favorite season 3 episode.

Yeah, goddamn Yeonjoo's performance in the deathmatch was so refreshing in how competently executed it was. I figured she'd also just break down like Ahyoung having spent much of the season also not doing much but good on her for showing why she's in the show to start with.

I loving love Yeonseung, it was really clear that he'd grown from his experience last time with Middle Race and it was so satisfying to watch him inflict the same helplessness on the other players even if it fell apart a bit towards the end.

That end of episode preview though holy poo poo I cannot wait

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Man this episode was the best of the season so far. The main game was tense. The death match was fun and the preview got me hyped.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
So it turns out Yeonjoo is the Junghyun of this season, pretty sweet death match there. The main match was pretty interesting too, with a last minute twist and everything. I think it was Moby worthy, I wonder if somebody made them stop using the song. The thing I'm looking forward too for next week though is seeing Sangmin and Dongmin try and out exasperate each other. Jinho is pretty good at it too actually.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

In the bedroom, whenever Dongmin is sitting down in that chair, there's a book behind him called "The Color of RED". I want that book.

I'm fond of the book to the right of his head here
http://i.imgur.com/sHF8nGo.jpg

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Wow, that episode was full of surprises and definitely stands as one of the better one this season. We had Yeonseung controlling the main match (where Dongmin+Hyunmin+Yoohyun were the clear favourites) and Yeonjoo winning the deathmatch (where Yoohyun was the clear favourite.) Hyunmin still managed to claw back a partial victory the moment the alliance of 4 made a mistake though, despite them controlling the whole game. And I think the middle race works better when fighting for 5/6th rather than fighting to avoid 1st/11th (due to less potential for forcing someone into last place) and I think having partners (and fewer players in general) allows for more complicated strategies. I think Copy was too powerful (yes it can't be used for some repetitive strategies compared to the dedicated ability, but a lot of the abilities are highly situational so switching between the most advantageous ability at the time is very useful) but most of the other character changes I thought were good (optional Union is a lot better than automatic Union and they replaced some of the solo characters which would've been pretty weak in a team game).

Whole episode kinda worked as a grudge match too, Yeonseung avenging himself from the last time they played middle race and Yeonjoo avenging Ahyoung in the Memory Maze against Yoohyun. 2 people who haven't done much all season coming out of nowhere with some pretty impressive displays. And I would definitely count myself as a Hyunmin + Dongmin fan but it seemed like they get overly frustrated when things don't go their way, yes they got locked down horribly for most of the game but it's no worse than what they did to Yeonseung and he took it much better.

I was really surprised at some of the alliance/elimination choices though. Seems like Yoohyun had a great opportunity to team up with Yeonjoo+Yeonseung and take a shot at Hyunmin+Dongmin, but he didn't go for it because he had already asked to team up with Hyunmin+Dongmin. I get that he didn't want to betray people after asking them but it seemed like a poor plan from the start because when the time came Team Min would definitely show more loyalty to each other than to him so it's just "I'll team up with Hyunmin+Dongmin to win E9 and E10 then get doubleteamed by them in E11 and get eliminated!". He was hanging on the fence for most of the game still and seemed to end up picking the wrong side. Really surprised Dongmin+Yeonseung settled the elimination decision as quickly as they did and the way they did, I thought Yeonseung would push to eliminate Yeonjoo on the grounds that a) She might target Hyunmin, b) picking Yeonjoo would leave Yoohyun as an alliance possibility and he seemed like the stronger player. Also thought people would use their black garnets and I was hoping to see the head-to-head maths black mission.

ABSOLUTE HYPE from the preview. It's happening. The Jinho & Sangmin guest match we've all been waiting for.

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
Manchester Orchestra at the end there was a cruel move by the producers: "I've got chingu-ya's in all the right places. I know what they want, and I know they don't want me to stay". Buh-bye weasel-faced dude.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

doomisland posted:

I'm fond of the book to the right of his head here
http://i.imgur.com/sHF8nGo.jpg

Hah, I noticed that as well. It made me really miss all the inexplicable americana they stuck on the walls last season.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Middle Race is not interesting to watch

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
same but your posting

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Please do not bully me

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
That was quite a good episode, and the next one has a lot of promise! I was mildly disappointed in the guests though, other than Jessica and Yeongseun's guy they were anonymous as all hell. Also agree Middle Race isn't THAT exciting, although the way it worked out with the smaller alliance getting great picks and being able to outmuscle the bigger added some fun tension at least. And the deathmatch was indeed great.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
GREAT episode. Yeonseung dominating the game had me grinning so hard, and Yeonjoo was awesome in the deathmatch.

Kim Gayeon :stare: Has she made any appearances in anything else???

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

the problem with middle race is it takes too long and is probably the type of game that is better played than watched

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Middle Race came out a lot better here than last time where it took a million years for each move to resolve and everyone worked together to screw 2 people, but it's still not amazing to watch. That said, the editing made it as painless as it could be and the play/counterplay stuff was neat. It's still no Scamming Horse Race, but what could be?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
You can tell a game isn't great for TV when they have to fast-forward through the majority of it though.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Disappointed that they agreed not to do the last Black Mission; I *really* wanted to see what the Math mission was.

Also, did they ever say for sure what happens to the Black Garnets, or was it just all the players speculating that they're removed from the game entirely?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

MisterZimbu posted:

Disappointed that they agreed not to do the last Black Mission; I *really* wanted to see what the Math mission was.

Also, did they ever say for sure what happens to the Black Garnets, or was it just all the players speculating that they're removed from the game entirely?

I think it would be really cool if they ended up being worth 10 real garnets or something like that. The prize seems to be lagging way behind maybe this is why.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It'd be really weird if they didn't put the last black mission in one of the BTS

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

MENTALITY KING

Haha, suck it everybody who sad Yeonseung and Yeonjoo were B-listers! I hope the underdogs come back and use the Jinho and Sangmin starpower to stick it to Team Min.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Verr posted:

MENTALITY KING

Haha, suck it everybody who sad Yeonseung and Yeonjoo were B-listers! I hope the underdogs come back and use the Jinho and Sangmin starpower to stick it to Team Min.

He played well, but getting a draw with the other group is hardly a 'suck it' situation.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zythrst posted:

He played well, but getting a draw with the other group is hardly a 'suck it' situation.

Yes it was. Did you miss the part where Dongmin spent 2 hours sulking? :haw:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yoohyun really shouldn't have teamed up with Dongmin and Hyunmin though, I guess he never realized that the reason they didn't care who won was because they knew that anyone who had an alternative to picking one of them for the deathmatch, would. Also, on the deathmatch, considering that there's apparently an equal amount of spaces for either path, couldn't you like, mathematically solve it at a point? I mean, you'd have to be an actual genius to do that and remember it and not a Korean television show genius but still.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

One thing that peeved me about the game was that Poker Star wasn't smart enough to figure out that he basically had to immediately cross over to the other side the second she did it as anything but that would basically guarantee her victory.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Yeah, am I wrong in thinking that would eliminate her advantage immediately? If he followed her path to her start, they would both be equidistant from their goal squares. Then of course she would be unable to piggyback off his path any further.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
(It's been two pages, so I'm not bothering with spoiler tags. I hope that's okay.)

Yeonjoo just became my favorite. I still think she's bad at the main games, but she put a hell of a performance one-on-one. Her stepping into Yoohyun's square before he could finish his sentence was amazing and started a mental breakdown. That coupled with Yeonseung's new-found skill (he's been getting better and better for a while now, to his credit) means the finals aren't set on stone like I thought they were.

Middle Race was okay, I guess. This variation made for a more entertaining watch, but it's still not the best choice for TV - it's slow-paced and the optimal strategy leans towards repeating a powerful ability combo over and over. It also didn't allow space for the guests to shine. However, since it allowed for The MENTALITY KING'S REVENGEANCE and got us Hyunmin snatching (partial) victory from the jaws of defeat, I'm not too upset with it.

I'm starting to think Yeonseung's problem wasn't so much being a bad player as it was being bad at social play. As the cast thins down, he's allowed to play "solo" more often and that works for the guy. Hyunmin and Dongmin are still miles better than him, but dude's not as bad as I thought he was. Also, those two got a bad hand dealt to them these last two episodes - a "majority rules" game and one literal bad draw with the pick order for abilities this time. It was bound to happen, and it adds some cracks in that duo's invincibility aura, which is great.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Yeah, am I wrong in thinking that would eliminate her advantage immediately? If he followed her path to her start, they would both be equidistant from their goal squares. Then of course she would be unable to piggyback off his path any further.

Yeah, once the paths are entangled, information flows in both directions. It's why Yeonjoo's strategy was a bad one; Yoohyun should have just walked over to her start position and worked from there. By trying to find his way through the middle he was working at a disadvantage of half the steps and was giving Yeonjoo information.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Dias posted:

I'm starting to think Yeonseung's problem wasn't so much being a bad player as it was being bad at social play. As the cast thins down, he's allowed to play "solo" more often and that works for the guy. Hyunmin and Dongmin are still miles better than him, but dude's not as bad as I thought he was. Also, those two got a bad hand dealt to them these last two episodes - a "majority rules" game and one literal bad draw with the pick order for abilities this time. It was bound to happen, and it adds some cracks in that duo's invincibility aura, which is great.

honestly, i think its (yeonseungs social play) partly a factor of racism. he obviously gets treated somewhat different by the rest of the cast and i think that's why he keeps getting left out of the alliances. now that there's less people they have to consider him as more then a fall guy

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Davincie posted:

honestly, i think its (yeonseungs social play) partly a factor of racism. he obviously gets treated somewhat different by the rest of the cast and i think that's why he keeps getting left out of the alliances. now that there's less people they have to consider him as more then a fall guy

I always just read it as people assuming he was a moron because of his profession, and then not wanting to team up with him because of that assumption. Honestly, I don't think it's THAT much a stretch to assume that a snake oil salesman is either stupid or untrustworthy.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Shakugan posted:

I always just read it as people assuming he was a moron because of his profession, and then not wanting to team up with him because of that assumption. Honestly, I don't think it's THAT much a stretch to assume that a snake oil salesman is either stupid or untrustworthy.

You forget that Eastern traditional medicine doesn't have that reputation in the, well, East. Many people over twenty consider it to be a viable complement to Western medicine. Heck, I bet most people over fifty think of Western medicine as the alternative treatment. (for illnesses not requiring hospitalization, mind.)

Now I'm skeptical of anything without good science to back it up, but think of it as the Eastern equivalent to chicken soup and cod liver oil.

Edit: I think Yeonseung's problem is that usually when he interacts with people they come to him in a position of dependence. People come to him for help, for advice, for treatment. And since he looks like the softspoken but compassionate type of doctor (even Ahyoung tells him to be "more wicked") when he's put in a show where everyone is ostensibly of equal status (Hyunmin: "I didn't listen to even [my uni's lecturer]"), he doesn't know what to do or how to differentiate himself. So, preferring independence, he falls to the wayside. The main match in ep 3 wouldn't have helped matters.

I think he's proud, in a way that makes me like him, as opposed to Dongmin 's arrogance. He could easily have become the next Doohee, but didn't.

Fall fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 30, 2014

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, once the paths are entangled, information flows in both directions. It's why Yeonjoo's strategy was a bad one; Yoohyun should have just walked over to her start position and worked from there. By trying to find his way through the middle he was working at a disadvantage of half the steps and was giving Yeonjoo information.

By the time Yeonjoo made it over to his side he had already made some progress moving up. If he switched sides with her she'd still have the information advantage, however slight. Couple this with being distracted (by a pretty same age lady if you wanna believe the edit,) and I'm willing to give the credit to Yeonjoo for smart play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fall posted:

You forget that Eastern traditional medicine doesn't have that reputation in the, well, East. Many people over twenty consider it to be a viable complement to Western medicine. Heck, I bet most people over fifty think of Western medicine as the alternative treatment. (for illnesses not requiring hospitalization, mind.)

Now I'm skeptical of anything without good science to back it up, but think of it as the Eastern equivalent to chicken soup and cod liver oil.

He's a chiropractor, correct? That's western fake medicine, not eastern fake medicine (though I'm sure you'll find chiropractors who will claim the latter as some kind of reach for authenticity). And of course, outside of groups like SA where there are plenty of people to point out their practices are completely ineffectual, I think you'll find that the most people will line up defend these things.