Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Darn, was hoping for a deeper discount on Grimrock 2. Oh well, it can wait til winter (yes, I know the discount will be about the same but money won't be quite as tight.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Breadallelogram posted:

People have been saying this for the entire 3 years that I've been paying attention to steam sales.

I think it's just how the interface is compared to how the summer's sale was. While we can all see that there are 5500+ games for sale, the daily sales only show 9-11 and you have to search for the rest. In the summer sale, there were icons everywhere making it look like there were more games on sale. Now I have to search for them and track what is part of the autumn sale, what's a daily sale, and what's on sale until tomorrow.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:gifttank: Just a reminder, we have a Gift Train going on! Come join in and get a surprise!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Deadulus posted:

Which resident evil games are good?

I have never played any of the series, but have seen the movies. Will I have no idea what is going on?

They are only barely linked. However, there is a fight scene in Resident Evil 5 that was directly ripped and put into one of the movies. You could start with 4. You won't have any idea what's going on, but to be fair playing the previous games wouldn't have really helped understand anything.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I think todays "Featured Deals" (top set) won't be getting any further mark down after all

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I picked up Gauntlet because I heard good things about it, if any goons want to give it a go later.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Leper Residue posted:

Saints Row 4 Game of the Century edition is 7.50 for the base game plus all the dlc. which is the cheapest it's ever been.

Speaking of Saint's Row, I'm a bit disappointed that the next Saints Row isn't going to be Murderbrawl themed.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Is Cities XL worth getting? Apparently they're working on a Cities XXL but I'm in the mood for citybuilding stuff. Better to hold off?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Deadulus posted:

I have never played any of the series, but have seen the movies. Will I have no idea what is going on?

4, 5, and 6 are all pretty decent if you like actiony horror games. The later you go in the series the more actiony and the less horror focused they get. I think 5 hit the perfect sweet spot but most people lean towards 4 being the peak.

Maybe pick up 4 if you're playing solo and 5 if you have a friend who might want to play? 6 is a harder recommend unless you really liked 5

StabMasterArson posted:

Is Cities XL worth getting? Apparently they're working on a Cities XXL but I'm in the mood for citybuilding stuff. Better to hold off?

Got one of them in an earlier sale and they're garbage. Just get sim city 4 and a mod pack if you don't have it already

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

So, is The Secret World actually any good?

I've seen it recommended numerous times but i'm always wary of MMORPGS what with WoW being easily the best and all.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

UltraVariant posted:

Just bought South Park: Stick of Truth. I've heard and seen quite a bit about it, but any thoughts from thou goons?

It's the best Steam sale game I've ever bought.

You're playing an episode with nothing censored.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Got one of them in an earlier sale and they're garbage. Just get sim city 4 and a mod pack if you don't have it already

Yeah it's usually my go-to game for stuff like this but I wanted to try something new :sigh: that's disappointing.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Is anyone able to help me pick up Alien Isolation from Nuuvem as they've region blocked USA from buying stuff. :911:

Steam id: add me

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

StabMasterArson posted:

Yeah it's usually my go-to game for stuff like this but I wanted to try something new :sigh: that's disappointing.

Wait and see if Tropico or ANNO comes around again if you want another city builder. ANNO 2070 and 1404 in particular are great for eye candy and being more relaxed sims.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Philthy posted:

It's the best Steam sale game I've ever bought.

You're playing an episode with nothing censored.
Unless you're playing the Australian version.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Deadulus posted:

If you want to understand (in as far as that ever applies to RE) the series, you'll want to play RE1 and RE2. They're very old and crusty these days. If you want a good RE, you want RE4… and that's about it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

StabMasterArson posted:

My experience with cities XL was that you could design a nice looking city but the stuff going on in the back end was incredibly disappointing. If you're only looking to draw a nice a looking city and don't care about any kind of resource/population management then maybe it's OK? Keep in mind I'm remembering what I thought about a 5 year old version and the more recent stuff may be less poo poo.

If you're looking for a different city builder than SC4 then Tropico 5 is probably the next best go-to

e: forgot Anno. Resource chains always seemed the opposite of relaxing city building to me, though

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

spudsbuckley posted:

I've seen it recommended numerous times but i'm always wary of MMORPGS what with WoW being easily the best and all.

*sigh* It has some unique things (like being able to research outside the game in order to find quest solutions) to it, but it's ultimately a voice acted backtrackathon/collectathon. The combat is terrible and even HEAVY remapping of the controls doesn't make it any more fun, merely turns it from COMPLETE poo poo to serviceable poo poo (not to be confused with just plain serviceable, which is lightyears better than this).

Seriously, the combat controls like poo poo. It's terrible. But it's probably a pretty good MMO.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

spudsbuckley posted:

It's not bad. It has some variety at least. Instead of every quest being 'fetch me 10 bear asses' there are quests that involve solving puzzles that might require you to do actual historical research on the internet. (Or just look up the steps on a wiki, but still the option is there) I found it interesting enough to go through the first couple areas, but the actual combat gets old because all the enemies feel like they have about 50% too much HP. It's not terrible, but it's an MMO so you're going to be killing your way through hundreds and hundreds of them, and it's just tiring after a while. Although the combat mechanics are interesting, you get skills based on what weapon you use and you can mix and match weapons and so on. But yeah, when you have to spam 10 different attacks for every minor mook, it's just annoying enough to make me want to go find something else to do.

Edit: ^^^ oh yeah and the combat controls are terrible and clunky too, even with much rebinding. I think I kind of mentally blocked that out, it was so bad.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Wait and see if Tropico or ANNO comes around again if you want another city builder. ANNO 2070 and 1404 in particular are great for eye candy and being more relaxed sims.

Never tried ANNO but I have Tropico 4 and love that, was just after some 'serious' city building stuff for now. I'll check out ANNO if it goes on sale again

Good Citizen posted:

If you're looking for a different city builder than SC4 then Tropico 5 is probably the next best go-to

drat, I figured enough people play these kinds of games for them to be a little more popular. I'll grab Tropico 5 if it goes on sale for a reasonable amount I suppose.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StabMasterArson posted:

drat, I figured enough people play these kinds of games for them to be a little more popular. I'll grab Tropico 5 if it goes on sale for a reasonable amount I suppose.

We are all eagerly awaiting the second coming of citybuilders in the Citybound thread. Unfortunately the most recent Sim City killed the genre and seemed to have made people think that city builder games will flop even with a big name behind it like Sim City.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is there not a thread for garys mod at all? I picked it up and the game modes seem fun but would rather play with some decent people.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tippis posted:

If you want to understand (in as far as that ever applies to RE) the series, you'll want to play RE1 and RE2. They're very old and crusty these days. If you want a good RE, you want RE4… and that's about it.

Resident Evil 2 is good :smith:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

We are all eagerly awaiting the second coming of citybuilders in the Citybound thread. Unfortunately the most recent Sim City killed the genre and seemed to have made people think that city builder games will flop even with a big name behind it like Sim City.

Yeah, I bought that and tried so hard to like it. You'd figure people would be lining up to try and take over Sim City as THE citybuilding game but apparently not.

Harminoff posted:

Is there not a thread for garys mod at all? I picked it up and the game modes seem fun but would rather play with some decent people.

While it is a very fun and creative game, most of that has been long dead in favor of children yelling into mics about minecraft and do nothing but roleplay now. Building stuff in single player is probably recommended now.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
aaand down go the steam servers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
PS: Gauntlet is cheaper on Bundlestars than on on Steam. Incase anyone feels like saving $4 or so.

1 Pack - $7.50
4 Pack - $5.65/ea

There's been a lot of good deals this week, just not on Steam.

e: I have an extra copy of Gauntlet in my inventory for $5.65--I added a guy who wanted it yesterday and he never accepted the friend request 16 hours later and I just want it out of here. Anyone interested?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 30, 2014

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

StabMasterArson posted:

Never tried ANNO but I have Tropico 4 and love that, was just after some 'serious' city building stuff for now. I'll check out ANNO if it goes on sale again

Trop 5 isn't as good as 4. They tried to make it into a more difficult and balanced game and ended up breaking that specific relaxing city builder feel. Doesn't help that in 5 when you actually have to be tyrannical to do stuff there are less options available to you to do so. Def not worth twenty dollars, especially if you already have played a bunch of 4.

Banished is a real good option that hasn't been mentioned yet. Hits the right balance between hair-raising management sim and chill city builder. Just don't look up stuff on it, the economy is real easy to bust open if you know how to do it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Xaris posted:

PS: Gauntlet is cheaper on Bundlestars than on on Steam. Incase anyone feels like saving $4 or so.

1 Pack - $7.50
4 Pack - $5.65/ea

There's been a lot of good deals this week, just not on Steam.

This has been true for several years now. This is usually due to other sites price matching steam and having coupons on top of that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well I'd consider buying some Rocksmith DLC while it's (presumably) on sale but it's the only game whose page seems to be totally loving broken right now. Great job!

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Authorman posted:

Banished is a real good option that hasn't been mentioned yet. Hits the right balance between hair-raising management sim and chill city builder. Just don't look up stuff on it, the economy is real easy to bust open if you know how to do it.

I tried this and couldn't get into it at all, felt like you needed a guide or FAQ with you at all times to even play the game for more than an hour. This was an older version, though.

Think it's just going to be waiting for Cities XXL or Skylines or something, thanks for the suggestions though goons

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Gah, is there any way to unlock all the episodes in YDKJ 2015 from the getgo? Its annoying to play on someone elses computer and all the episodes they have unlocked I know the answers to.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

The first 3 maps make up an amazing rpg. The 2 maps after are bland and dull. The final two or three maps are back to real interesting rpg.

I highly recommend it as a mostly single player game. I suggest hitting up the thread for a build. Like you aren't cut out of anything in the long run in the game but using a cookie cutter build is the smart move because you can gently caress up hard and have to grind to buy the stuff that it makes sense for you to have otherwise.

TSW is different, its really about interesting world building, amusing characters and interesting quests. Avoid too much help with it and you will probably find it amazing. The endgame when I was playing was awful poo poo so I wouldn't recommend hanging around too long after but like at that point you've probably gotten 40 quality hours out of it so you are good to go.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lethemonster posted:

If I want Painkiller its the Black Edition I want for the most levels and staking action, right?

Not concerned about graphics, want lots of fun co op murdering.

If you want Co-Op you want Painkiller Hell and Damnation, the remake of Painkiller Black.

Grab some of the dlc too, it has more levels in it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

It has MMO combat. If you don't like that, you won't like Secret World.

If you like MMO combat, it's a pretty good single player lovecraft/Cthulu style RPG. You go around the world solving mysteries/figuring stuff out using google ( or just abusing the wiki, but hey ). Unlike most MMOs, they removed most of the bear rear end stuff in favor of puzzles/odd stealth sequences/the occasional boss fight, which helps smooth things out.

You should probably go check the thread for a good build if you do buy it. Also realize you don't need to do every single quest. You'll hit max level/have max level gear around the same time you finish Kingsmouth if you do, which trivializes the rest of the game. Just do the story/puzzle/investigation stuff and ignore all the combat related quests.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rookersh posted:

It has MMO combat. If you don't like that, you won't like Secret World.

I'm fine with MMO combat. I loved Final Fantasy 14, and continue to enjoy it.

The Secret World nearly bored me to death. It has the most stilted and awkward combat I've played in ages, and enemy levels seem twice as arbitrary and ridiculous, especially as it's supposed to have a level-free 'horizontal progression' system of sorts. Within a single map, an identical looking group of zombies can range from 'One-shotted fodder' to 'Rip your heart out through your rear end in a top hat hard'.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Secret World is one of my all time favorite "MMOs that I wish were actually single player" because I love the quests, and the puzzles. Some people will not be amused when they need to track down verses from specific translations of the bible for example, but I loved it. The game gives you a browser to use in game, and you will need it on a lot of the puzzles.

I agree the combat falls on the scale of somewhere between "tolerable" and "awful".

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kibayasu posted:

Resident Evil 2 is good :smith:

Eh. Was it a vast improvement over RE1, cementing the kind of cinematic zombie-puzzle genre? Yes.
Would I recommend it today? Not really, unless it's for a retrospective jaunt into those roots.

I'd probably compare it with Ultima 7: a spectacularly good and historically important game, but with the hindsight of decades worth of RPG systems and UI design conventions, it's now bordering on painful to play.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
freedom planet is pretty good

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I've been having an itch for a good multiplayer shooter, one that I can sit down for a few matches and then get up and do something else. I hated Counter-Strike back in the day, so that's out. Any recent releases with a good population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Does anyone know if DLC songs from the original Rocksmith work on the 2014 version?

• Locked thread