Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Moochewmoo posted:

Yeah I dunno. Everything says the entity has a higher top speed. Also all wheel drive is pretty much the greatest. It's life being glued to the road.

The Zentorno is absolutely AWD. Also, regardless of what the stat bars say, the Entity does not have a higher top speed than the Zentorno.

I used to think and argue that the Entity was competitive, but after doing really competitive racing the Zentorno just plain pulls away from an Entity on straights after corners. On half mile straights assuming everyone takes the optimal corner with both cars the Zentorno will gain 4 or 5 car lengths. In really competitive racing the Entity basically never wins and everyone drives the Zentorno. I speak from experience after having to sell my Entity because I held on to it for too long.

It's close, and unless the skill level of the drivers is very similar then it won't be a huge difference. If the skill level is very close the Zentorno has an edge. I fought tooth and nail to keep my entity but eventually had to deal with the fact that it needed to go because the skill level in most of the races I was doing was ruthless.

TL;DR The Entity does seem competitive until the competition is very, very close, then you realize that the Entity isn't truly competitive, it's at a disadvantage.

rally posted:

The stat bars really don't mean anything. Mods just max the bars out anyway.

The car keeps accelerating faster even after the bar is full and you keep adding things that should raise it further. The bars lie. The actual acceleration value goes way past the end of the bar for a lot of cars.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

BitBasher posted:

The Zentorno is absolutely AWD. Also, regardless of what the stat bars say, the Entity does not have a higher top speed than the Zentorno.

I used to think and argue that the Adder was competitive, but after doing really competitive racing the Zentorno just plain pulls away from an Entity on straights after corners. On half mile straights assuming everyone takes the optimal corner with both cars the Zentorno will gain 4 or 5 car lengths. In really competitive racing the Entity basically never wins and everyone drives the Zentorno. I speak from experience after having to sell my Entity because I held on to it for too long.

It's close, and unless the skill level of the drivers is very similar then it won't be a huge difference. If the skill level is very close the Zentorno has an edge. I fought tooth and nail to keep my entity but eventually had to deal with the fact that it needed to go because the skill level in most of the races I was doing was ruthless.

TL;DR The Entity does seem competitive until the competition is very, very close, then you realize that the Entity isn't truly competitive, it's at a disadvantage.

The car keeps accelerating faster even after the bar is full and you keep adding things that should raise it further. The bars lie. The actual acceleration value goes way past the end of the bar for a lot of cars.

I know this. That is why I suggested that the stat bars are meaningless, and thus the drag strip track does in fact serve a purpose and im pooping isn't, in fact, smarter than everyone who plays GTA. I totally agree about the Zentorno but I hate arguing about better/worse cars. There are people on gtaforums that swear by lovely cars.

I did keep my Entity to fill out my row of super cars though! It looks bad rear end in yellow.

rally fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 30, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I haven't touched GTAV in months since I packed my 360 up and I was thinking about getting it on the PS4. Do they still send you to bad sport hell for having fun, and is every lobby still full of people in tanks?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Broseph Brostar posted:

I haven't touched GTAV in months since I packed my 360 up and I was thinking about getting it on the PS4. Do they still send you to bad sport hell for having fun, and is every lobby still full of people in tanks?

I am usually the person in the tank so I can't comment on that. I blow up literally every personal vehicle I come across in free mode and I haven't been sent to bad sport hell yet.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Broseph Brostar posted:

I blow up every personal car I see and haven't been sent to BS since they "fixed" the criteria awhile back, as in, months ago. Long as you do missions to mix it up you're fine.

Tanks are hardly around now - they show up as a tank icon on the map and so people are a lot less likely to use them. The element of surprise is totally gone.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Kelly posted:

I blow up every personal car I see and haven't been sent to BS since they "fixed" the criteria awhile back, as in, months ago. Long as you do missions to mix it up you're fine.

Tanks are hardly around now - they show up as a tank icon on the map and so people are a lot less likely to use them. The element of surprise is totally gone.

I always get my tank out right when I get a bounty placed on me. I'll drive over to it then wait for some dots to amass near me, get in the tank and raise hell. When you have a bounty the tank icon doesn't appear properly - you just show up as the normal bounty skull except the icon changes direction on the map as though it were the tank icon. I don't think people have totally caught onto this so you can get a lot of fun out of a tank again.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Did they fix the thing where stuff that spawned was based upon levels so after you passed 30 (or whatever) you had to pull teeth to get the helicopter with the giant magnet to spawn?

That thing was so great and then it was just almost impossible to get after a certain point. Please tell me it's not still like that.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Croccers posted:

Where do you find a Blista online? I need one.

Southernsanandreasauto.com and it is 42,000, and it says "Dinka blist compact, sports" when you get in it, so it is in fact considered a sports car and can be modded quite nicely, just like in GTA:SA. I don't think it can compete with a sultan RS, it is fun enough. Much better than my Issi for control.

a cop posted:

Did they fix the thing where stuff that spawned was based upon levels so after you passed 30 (or whatever) you had to pull teeth to get the helicopter with the giant magnet to spawn?

That thing was so great and then it was just almost impossible to get after a certain point. Please tell me it's not still like that.

As far as I can tell, it has not changed as my new character (31) has not seen a buzzard yet, and I only get Mavericks and Froggers at the airfields.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 30, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

BitBasher posted:

How often does this happen unless you're playing with friends or in some kind of competitive ladder (I'm guessing there's something out there, there was a few crews for Golf like that)?
Unless you're racing on airport tarmac tracks the physics throw too much luck into the draw. Sometimes I plough through a stop sign, other times it will kill half my speed. Should I dodge that trash can or drive through it? Is it going to flip my car out time?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

rally posted:

I always get my tank out right when I get a bounty placed on me. I'll drive over to it then wait for some dots to amass near me, get in the tank and raise hell. When you have a bounty the tank icon doesn't appear properly - you just show up as the normal bounty skull except the icon changes direction on the map as though it were the tank icon. I don't think people have totally caught onto this so you can get a lot of fun out of a tank again.

I was actually wondering about this since it doesn't show up as a plane icon when you have a bounty and you're flying. Good to know.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Thanks for the replies guys. I always was a fan of tank shenanigans, but its not fun to constantly round a corner and find a tank waiting for me.

I'm excited to try the heists that I'm sure are already in the game now.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Kelly posted:

I was actually wondering about this since it doesn't show up as a plane icon when you have a bounty and you're flying. Good to know.

I don't think the chopper icon displays either with the bounty. Speaking of the chopper icon, I don't think the Crew color shows through either - I nearly shot a crewmate down while I was sniping on top of a building as he was approaching in a Buzzard.

On topic of bounties, sometimes you have to sacrifice the body when taking a bounty from a pubbie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esK3z4sf29E

And here's Wee Bairns and me destroying an Adder with style. I'm glad you can still do this without having to pay the insurance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsRz3tpAodU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Croccers posted:

How often does this happen unless you're playing with friends or in some kind of competitive ladder (I'm guessing there's something out there, there was a few crews for Golf like that)?
Unless you're racing on airport tarmac tracks the physics throw too much luck into the draw. Sometimes I plough through a stop sign, other times it will kill half my speed. Should I dodge that trash can or drive through it? Is it going to flip my car out time?

With the guys I was racing with on PS3 the Zentorno was literally essential. I could rarely luck myself into a win on gimmick jump races from time to time but on legitimate tracks it wasn't going to happen.

Racing with pubbies I could win with no problem in an Entity because as a rule people suck rear end at driving. When racing with Goons I could win a good chunk of the time in my Entity, but there were a few goons that made it dicey, and after changing out to an Entity it gave me a noticeably better margin for error.

If you have really good control over a car there is no meaningful random factor most of the time. You don't run through signs or trash cans. Clean racing is the only way to go because little fuckups add up a lot. The physics in this game for car control are actually really solid. Surprisingly so.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

God dammit. All I want to do is pick people's cars up with the magnet helicopter. You still can't buy those, right? So much for the "sandbox" :saddowns:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The car stat bars are comparable within classes, and as long as you haven't done mods. The mods don't have the same effect as they show visibly on the bars, and they make two modded cars impossible to compare unless they're both the same model of car.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

a cop posted:

God dammit. All I want to do is pick people's cars up with the magnet helicopter. You still can't buy those, right? So much for the "sandbox" :saddowns:

It's not a magnet, it's a hook. You could glitch buy them at one point but not anymore.

They seem to spawn frequently at the merryweather docks ( its always a cargobob or buzzard for me) but I'm not sure if you need to be at a certain level before that happens.

Edit: Wait is there an actual magnet helicopter?! I haven't played through all of single player, so I apologize if you weren't talking about the Cargobob.

A c E fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 30, 2014

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

A c E posted:

It's not a magnet, it's a hook. You could glitch buy them at one point but not anymore.

They seem to spawn frequently at the merryweather docks ( its always a cargobob or buzzard for me) but I'm not sure if you need to be at a certain level before that happens.

Cargobobs start spawning at level 22 last I remember and they spawn frequently at the airport and hospital as well in the city well as at Sandy Shores airfield.

a cop posted:

The magnet chopper isn't online. That would be against Rockstar's ethos.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Racing with pubbies I could win with no problem in an Entity because as a rule people suck rear end at driving. When racing with Goons I could win a good chunk of the time in my Entity, but there were a few goons that made it dicey, and after changing out to an Entity it gave me a noticeably better margin for error.

If you have really good control over a car there is no meaningful random factor most of the time. You don't run through signs or trash cans. Clean racing is the only way to go because little fuckups add up a lot. The physics in this game for car control are actually really solid. Surprisingly so.
As nice as the DS4 controller is, I still kinda dislike it. The hat thing on top of the thumbsticks is rubbish (thumbs slip off it all the time) and I just don't have the same fine control over the left thumbstick like I did with the 360 controller. Thumb is too cramped up for smooth fine control. Microsoft have it right. :colbert:
So I find myself bumping up the curbs more often, which normally isn't too much of an issue but the unsure predictably nature of hitting objects is. Or, you know, pubbies happen.
Everything is so bumpy and cluttered and bouncy compared to like... say... Midnight Club LA. But that world was designed for racing and racing alone.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

geeves posted:

And here's Wee Bairns and me destroying an Adder with style. I'm glad you can still do this without having to pay the insurance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsRz3tpAodU

Too bad the second car, the yellow one (I forget what model it was) despawned before we had a chance to repeat the performance.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Wee Bairns posted:

Too bad the second car, the yellow one (I forget what model it was) despawned before we had a chance to repeat the performance.

I stole some low-level's Cheetah after your 293840 disconnect and was able to repeat. I'll have to check if I saved that video or not.

en1125
Jul 3, 2006
I have a very specific goal...and that is to have no goals.
I

a cop posted:

I am lvl 180 and I regularly see cargobob spawns. It seems totally random now. I see pretty much an even mix of cargobobs, buzzards, and Mavericks/froggers.

Edit: I see the cargobob at sandy shores airfield more often than anywhere else.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

geeves posted:

I stole some low-level's Cheetah after your 293840 disconnect and was able to repeat. I'll have to check if I saved that video or not.

Gentlemen, thank you for giving me a new goal for the night. Time to create a new man-made dam in the bay.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
You cannot buy the Cargobob, but you can buy the Titan. What's their reasoning?

Buying the Buzzard in preparation for the heists, 200k to go until I make myself horribly out of money :arghfist:

Croccers posted:

As nice as the DS4 controller is, I still kinda dislike it. The hat thing on top of the thumbsticks is rubbish (thumbs slip off it all the time) and I just don't have the same fine control over the left thumbstick like I did with the 360 controller. Thumb is too cramped up for smooth fine control.

I want to take Xbone sticks, shorten the shaft a little and transfer those over. Going to try rubberized DS4 stick-grip things after they arrive from DealXtreme, will come back to the thread (10 for $5 instead of 2 for $15) if it works well.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

MrLonghair posted:

Just yet another in a long line of design decisions in GTA:O that leaves pretty much everyone scratching their drat heads :shrug:
The only reasoning that I could ever see them holding out on it was for future DLC but since the phone glitch allowed a number of us to grab it perhaps it got put on the back burner. But the fact that they put all the time into making the skycrane with the big rear end magnet on it, and then only allow it for like a mission and a ½ in single player just further promotes more head scratching.

At this point I want to make the little :shrug: arms on the :rockstar: logo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Where's my Epsilon Program and my Yoga, Rockstar.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Where's my Epsilon Program and my Yoga, Rockstar.

I never did the Epsilon Program in SP. I bet if it was online, it might be sweet to get the kifflon robes, but you would probably have to pay dues of like $2500 a day or some ridiculous nonsense.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It'd be really fun to see Rockstar try to implement the Epsilon Program in GTAO. I imagine the cash you'd have to shove at them would be multiplied but it'd be a fun way to get bored rich people out in the desert trying to run around that patch of land for 24 in-game hours straight to fulfill one of those trials. Maybe have a few fun unlocks like the robes, maybe a Kifflom greeting, let us buy some of the Epsilon-brand vehicles from their website, that kinda stuff.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

gently caress that here's 2 new weapons and a car, maybe some jobs we made in a few minutes

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

MrLonghair posted:

Buying the Buzzard in preparation for the heists, 200k to go until I make myself horribly out of money :arghfist:

yeah but once you have it, making money off a ton of missions is easy as hell plus you'll have a Buzzard. It's worth it!

the trick is, and this is the funny part, not doing them too fast. It's easy to do something like Trash Talk way too quickly. If I'm pubbing it I like to blow the trucks and let them clear out the depot on foot.

also has anyone else just had missions never, ever show up in the menu or in invites or anything? GTA Today, even Los Santos Connection, Frickin Lazers (or whatever) - I've played them once if at all lately.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
What is the best way of earning RP currently?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

gently caress that here's 2 new weapons and a car, maybe some jobs we made in a few minutes

Can I have them in Epsilon baby blue? I'll settle for that.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

geeves posted:

...after your 293840 disconnect....

That's fairly accurate.:( That's what I get for bragging earlier in the thread about how stable it had been for me...

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Can I have them in Epsilon baby blue? I'll settle for that.

Would that be fun for you? then no

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Psion posted:

yeah but once you have it, making money off a ton of missions is easy as hell plus you'll have a Buzzard. It's worth it!

the trick is, and this is the funny part, not doing them too fast. It's easy to do something like Trash Talk way too quickly. If I'm pubbing it I like to blow the trucks and let them clear out the depot on foot.

also has anyone else just had missions never, ever show up in the menu or in invites or anything? GTA Today, even Los Santos Connection, Frickin Lazers (or whatever) - I've played them once if at all lately.

People tend to not bother accepting their GTA Today and Los Santos Connection texts from the mission people because if you don't run them with people who know what they're doing they're easy to lose minutes before you actually die in them. So they show up much less often in invites to you, and much less often in "random contact mission".

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

blackguy32 posted:

races or missions, Kelly has a great way to RP farm using a tank and Blow Up 2 if you have a tank.

but really, races and missions. just do poo poo, RP rolls in. Play on Hard and in free-aim for bonus $/rp.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I've always wanted to try Los Santos Connection but I've heard a lot about how hard it is and it has like hacking segments or something so I never bother to accept the invite. I tried a mission the other day that had safe cracking and I thought that was kinda neat.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Policenaut posted:

I've always wanted to try Los Santos Connection but I've heard a lot about how hard it is and it has like hacking segments or something so I never bother to accept the invite. I tried a mission the other day that had safe cracking and I thought that was kinda neat.

Another goon and I soloed it the other day. It isn't too bad as long as you are careful. We had to do it twice because we hosed up the first time and let the supplier get away. But as long as you know to be prepared with a buzzard before someone picks up the coke, you should be fine.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's probably the best mission in the game insofar as it's not just drive to x, shoot ___ or deliver vehicle to ___ or whatever - it's a three part mission with three distinct things to do and it's fun in all three parts. A+ wish more missions were like it.

That said, yes, there's a hack in it. Hacking is easy, however, when you realize each refresh just moves everything left one column (and maybe up one, but I don't think so) so spotting the 4 numbers you want and then hanging onto them even if you can't get the cursor down there is simple. It doesn't take long to get really good at it.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

People tend to not bother accepting their GTA Today and Los Santos Connection texts from the mission people because if you don't run them with people who know what they're doing they're easy to lose minutes before you actually die in them. So they show up much less often in invites to you, and much less often in "random contact mission".

This, exactly. I haven't run LS Connection with non-goons in awhile. It's a long mission and too easy to screw up - it ends up being a tremendous waste of time.

blackguy32 posted:

Psion posted:

races or missions, Kelly has a great way to RP farm using a tank and Blow Up 2 if you have a tank.

but really, races and missions. just do poo poo, RP rolls in. Play on Hard and in free-aim for bonus $/rp.

And I'll throw it out there again that I am happy to run it a time or two with anyone who needs it when I am on. A bit time consuming - at least ten minutes needs to be spent in mission. If you have a tank and a buzzard doing it, it's a lot easier but the tank is absolutely necessary.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

MrLonghair posted:

I have a cargobob in my Pegasus lineup for both of my characters. Is that not normal?

• Locked thread