Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I have a solid 30MB cable connection and can stream HD content normally without issue. Regardless, whenever I attempt to watch HD Youtube 720p or higher, the videos lag like crazy. I generally see a burst of data fill the buffer for 10 seconds and then it stops and just sits there for about 15 seconds, then burst fills again. It never even attempts to buffer the entire video.

According to Youtube, I'm not on an HD guaranteed ISP which doesn't make sense at all. The only ISP they certify in my area has a slower connection via DSL.

Is Google loving with the connection? Why is it that Netflix, Amazon video, torrents, and network connection tests all perform perfectly but Youtube keeps making GBS threads itself, and is there a way to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You can always try the 'connect through a VPN and stream from there'. That will fix the problem if some transit provider that YouTube uses has a poo poo connection to your ISP.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Install Youtube Center and turn off DASH playback in the settings.

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki

If you're using chrome you need to upgrade to the developer version or install Tampermonkey to run the script.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Thanks for the input. The turn off DASH seems to help a bit once I maxed the buffer size, but it still is lagging.

New question, assuming the link is from a service provider to my ISP, who can I chase to complain? Should I call my ISP and bitch them out?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

If you call your ISP they will tell you it is Google's fault, if you call Google they won't tell you anything since they don't have customer service, and there is nobody else to call.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know in the UK, my ISP (Virgin) apparently runs a YouTube cache that is described as being woefully oversubscribed. Even on a 150mbit connection that gets me a solid 13MB/sec on speed tests and other sites, I'll sometimes have a mare buffering in YouTube.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

So suck it down, eh? I guess Google has got to the point of not caring which means it's about time for another service to take its place.

Bradster
Aug 14, 2004

Ryan Reynolds brings a brilliant new form of acting in every movie he does!
Sometimes I have this issue. It doesn't happen much but if I use something like JDownloader to download the video instead of streaming, my connection will max out.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

No. 6 posted:

So suck it down, eh? I guess Google has got to the point of not caring which means it's about time for another service to take its place.

Only if you are not on google fiber then you will get max speed to youtube and googles.

Goon API
Apr 11, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know in the UK, my ISP (Virgin) apparently runs a YouTube cache that is described as being woefully oversubscribed. Even on a 150mbit connection that gets me a solid 13MB/sec on speed tests and other sites, I'll sometimes have a mare buffering in YouTube.

Block the virginm.net caches, it will fall back to the generic YouTube servers

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

Honestly it's probably your ISP, and the idea that it's google's problem to solve lovely ISPs is kind of insane, especially in a country where we can't even get net neutrality established as law.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah no, youtube has been a steaming pile of poo poo for a lot of people for a long time, it's not always or even probably the ISP.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah no, youtube has been a steaming pile of poo poo for a lot of people for a long time, it's not always or even probably the ISP.

In general yeah, but based on the page he was showing it looks like they have a 'problem' with his ISP.

Edit: gently caress it, it's probably youtube's fault, sure.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 3, 2014

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Goon API posted:

Block the virginm.net caches, it will fall back to the generic YouTube servers

For virgin specifically, as far as I can tell, has not been possible for about 3 years. It used to be possible but since then they're moved to a transparent reverse proxy. On the plus side, the Leeds-based reverse proxy has had capacity to spare for about a year now, so no more buffering for me. They do have a couple of other data centres though, not sure what their status is. Regardless, if you connect to the Leeds centre and are getting buffering, it's likely a local contention issue. Not even a VPN will fix that.

They say they actively monitor local congestion and upgrade it without being asked, but I have my doubts - I never see my full connection speed even to nodes on virgin's internal network.

To the OP, routing and available bandwidth is not as simple as you think it is due to peering agreements. It might not even be YouTube or your ISPs fault, technically. Of course switching ISPs might still solve the issue. The official way to deal with this is to talk to your ISP and the provider, they both have a vested interest in everything working. They will likely need to talk to each other to resolve the issue. Unofficially, they will be quick to blame the other party and dismissive of each other's evidence.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Youtube used to function a lot better, when it would buffer the whole video as reasonably quickly as it could. Once the whole thing loaded, you could skip around the video back and forth pretty easily. Then they changed things so the videos only buffer a little ahead, supposedly in order to save bandwidth on data that people never end up watching. Now, whenever I try to skip around, even to just jump back 5-10 seconds for something I missed, everything stops and it redownloads that portion, and it becomes a huge hassle to try to jump back to something which should already be sitting in your cache. I'm fine with the buffering only a little ahead, but I really wish they would fix the player so it's smart enough to know about content it's already downloaded.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

XK posted:

Youtube used to function a lot better, when it would buffer the whole video as reasonably quickly as it could. Once the whole thing loaded, you could skip around the video back and forth pretty easily. Then they changed things so the videos only buffer a little ahead, supposedly in order to save bandwidth on data that people never end up watching. Now, whenever I try to skip around, even to just jump back 5-10 seconds for something I missed, everything stops and it redownloads that portion, and it becomes a huge hassle to try to jump back to something which should already be sitting in your cache. I'm fine with the buffering only a little ahead, but I really wish they would fix the player so it's smart enough to know about content it's already downloaded.

I wish it would just buffer everything. If you are on not-quite high speed DSL you used to be able to hit play, then pause and let it download the rest slowly, then watch the whole thing at your leisure when it finishes. When they only let it buffer a few seconds into the future its impossible to use.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You looked at this part right?
https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/#how_video_gets_to_you

That said, I've never seen a Video Quality Report graph look that crappy. I'm not an expert but it seems like it could be:
- Your ISP is throttling youtube traffic in the aggregate to maintain service for non-youtube traffic
- Whoever is upstream from your ISP is doing the same
- Your ISP/upstream is in a pissing match with youtube/google for peering agreements like Netflix/Verizon were

Possible reference reading from last year:
http://techreport.com/news/25162/report-major-isps-ruining-youtube-streaming-with-dirty-tactics

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

This is the correct answer to the OP's question. Read the source of that article: the Ars Technica link. It'll tell you everything you need to know.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oh good, another "paying for peering is immoral" argument, I was hoping it wouldn't just be contained to the net neutrality thread.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I use Magic Actions for Youtube, It lets the video load completely and all sorts of cool things as well.
http://www.chromeactions.com/magic-actions-for-youtube-chrome-app.html

Try it out if you got chrome. I haven't got any problems from it so far.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

computer parts posted:

Oh good, another "paying for peering is immoral" argument, I was hoping it wouldn't just be contained to the net neutrality thread.

Shhh, the Internet outrage machine cares not for how interconnection has been managed for the last 25 years.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Since the YouTube report is claiming you don't have a "HD Verified" ISP, what that means is that your network does not have a current caching arrangement with YouTube at all.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Avulsion posted:

Install Youtube Center and turn off DASH playback in the settings.

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki

If you're using chrome you need to upgrade to the developer version or install Tampermonkey to run the script.
This is a very useful tool, thanks! Finally back to the good ol' days of Youtube (click video link, do other stuff, return when the buffer is complete).

Supeerme posted:

I use Magic Actions for Youtube, It lets the video load completely and all sorts of cool things as well.
http://www.chromeactions.com/magic-actions-for-youtube-chrome-app.html

Try it out if you got chrome. I haven't got any problems from it so far.
Magic Actions never seems to do that here, though I admit I use other Chromium-based browser.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Isn't DASH playback mandatory for some resolutions, like 1080p?

edit: yes https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/issues/109

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

td4guy posted:

Isn't DASH playback mandatory for some resolutions, like 1080p?

edit: yes https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/issues/109

I can download :filez: at 3.5MB/s, but trying to use DASH playback at anything higher than 480p results in 30 second pauses every minute and a half. To compare, with DASH turned off I can open 5 videos at 720p and watch one without problems while the others buffer in the background. What the gently caress youtube? gently caress DASH and gently caress your 1080p.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Section 31 posted:

Magic Actions never seems to do that here, though I admit I use other Chromium-based browser.

Well it only works on youtube.

• Locked thread