Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

What is Transistor?

Transistor is the second game by indie studio Supergiant Games. They made their debut with Bastion, a story-driven isometric view action-RPG where you must discover the truth behind an apocalyptic scenario. Transistor is a story-driven isometric view action-RPG where you must discover the truth behind an apocalyptic scenario.

Well, at least they're sticking to what they know.

In any case, while some may see Transistor as a Bastion clone, I consider them two separate games altogether. In Transistor the details of the combat and upgrade systems are very different from Bastion's, ranging from weapon selection and actual fighting, even if Bastion veterans will feel like they've seen some of this stuff before. The story of Transistor unfolds little by little, but unlike Bastion, it is told almost in a circumspect manner, never quite stating outright what was going on. Since much of the lore is hidden behind game functions, the narrative lends itself to a lot of theorizing about the whos, whys, and ifs.

Why LP this game?

Bastion has already been LP'd by Chip Cheezum (check it out in the Archives), but Transistor is another game that people should check out. The gameplay elements, soundtrack, voice work, and story are all top notch, if needing a bit of a polish here and there. It's a game worth playing. This LP aims to go through the story, and show off everything (or at least, almost everything) the game has to offer.

How is the game being LP'd, and what are the thread rules?

Rather than do voice commentary, which I feel would interrupt the game's atmosphere, I opted to do subtitled commentary explaining game mechanics as we go. At points I'll also make one or two personal observations about the game.

There is only one thread rule: no spoilers!

Functions derived from contact with Subjects. Trace data encrypted in Functions. User access granted for Subject file data.

Limiters remove restrictions on the Process but improve User access permission to Functions. Encrypted comments detected in source control. User access granted for Process file data.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ah, this game. Wanted so much to like it as much as Bastion, but the fighting had been made worse with the turn () function. Which was a shame because the active/passive system was inspired.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I still liked it, and didn't get quite so stuck by being bad at it like Bastion. Though I did manage to kill stuff in Time 0 well.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I never finished the Cheezum LP for Bastion because I just didn't find the game interesting. This, on the other hand, looks like it has a very neat setting crammed to the gills with flavor. It doesn't hurt that I'm also digging the hell out of the soundtrack.

Voiceless Red-head Ex-Singer with an Intelligent Weapon bent on Revenge? This is gonna be fun.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be honest i'd have a hard time saying that this or bastion is better than the other because they both do things really well in their own way. the setting for this is definitely my favorite of the two, though.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
This setting is very, very cool. I've no problem putting it up on equal footing with Sebastian.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Is the video link not working for anyone else?

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Is the video link not working for anyone else?

Won't load for me, yeah.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Huh... Polsy isn't loading up at all. I didn't make a link to YouTube on the image up there... I'll make small Youtube and Polsy icons for the links later.

For now, you can watch the first episode on YouTube here.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 30, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it worked for me earlier so i think polsy is just loving up right now.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This game is currently 25% off on Steam and about 40% off on EU PSN (presumably also on NA PSN though I can't check that). You should get it. You should all get it. Transistor is a gem of a game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with this game after Bastion. The story and presentation are amazing, but the combat just feels lackluster. Bastion is solid fun even if you take the plot out, Transistor wouldn't hold without it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, I liked the turn() mechanic but having to run around helpless for several seconds every time you use it felt really terrible.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Sindai posted:

Yeah, I liked the turn() mechanic but having to run around helpless for several seconds every time you use it felt really terrible.

Yeah, it'd be really neat if the game had something that addressed this, like, oh, say, a skill that could be installed as an upgrade to other skills to allow them to be usable in Turn() recovery.

...and gave it to you very early on in the game.

Okay, me being dickish aside, while Turn() is hella cool and arguably a main selling point of the combat system, Transistor is also a Real Time Action game whenever you're not using Turn(). You shouldn't really be using Turn() all the time, for that exact reason; you'll spend a lot of time vulnerable and it can suck. But if you do want to play a Turn()-heavy style, the designers have thrown you a bone with the Jaunt() skill. Breach(Jaunt()) was always a staple of mine.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well yeah obviously I used that for the whole game because it helped a bit, but only being able to use one or two skills was still pretty terrible. I honestly think removing that mechanic altogether would have improved the game. If that meant buffing enemies a little to compensate, that'd be fine by me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Fedule posted:

Yeah, it'd be really neat if the game had something that addressed this, like, oh, say, a skill that could be installed as an upgrade to other skills to allow them to be usable in Turn() recovery.

...and gave it to you very early on in the game.

Okay, me being dickish aside, while Turn() is hella cool and arguably a main selling point of the combat system, Transistor is also a Real Time Action game whenever you're not using Turn(). You shouldn't really be using Turn() all the time, for that exact reason; you'll spend a lot of time vulnerable and it can suck. But if you do want to play a Turn()-heavy style, the designers have thrown you a bone with the Jaunt() skill. Breach(Jaunt()) was always a staple of mine.

Really? I felt that the game was almost unplayable without Turn(); the enemies were just too fast/animation wind-ups for a lot of attacks too slow for attacking outside of Turn() to ever be feasible.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
The game looks (and sounds) stunning, but it's definitely one of those things that are beyond me physically, Turn() or no Turn(). (So yay for an LP!)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if i remember correctly there's more than a few spots where turn() is basically required due to how certain enemies behave but they could have put in a little bit of a compromise where the player is able to use weaker versions of their skills when turn() is recharging or something. either that or like two of them are randomly blocked off for the duration. just some way where the player isn't entirely defenseless. i never had much issue either way, to be honest, because whenever i planned moves i would try to make them as effective as possible so i had the time to recharge.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Samovar posted:

Really? I felt that the game was almost unplayable without Turn(); the enemies were just too fast/animation wind-ups for a lot of attacks too slow for attacking outside of Turn() to ever be feasible.

Yes, Turn() is essential and straight-up required in some cases but that still doesn't mean you should do all combat in Turn(). Think of it like a combo finisher.

There are fast attacks that are suited to general action-game use, plus you've got the Breach() skill, which you have right from the start of a fresh file, which removes the windup time of another skill when you use it as an upgrade.

You can either use Turn() as an offensive measure, where you power it up as much as possible and deal hella damage, and either just run away afterwards or use a skill upgraded with Jaunt() as a stopgap, or you can use it defensively, doing most of your combat in realtime and using it when things get hairy to either quickly finish a foe or to just run away (or when it's safe to do so and you know you can survive the cooldown). Turn() itself has mechanics that reinforce this choice - most notably, if you use only a little of it, it recharges much faster, and if you use it up completely (by cramming an expensive skill into the last sliver of bar) there'll actually be a bigger delay before it starts recharging.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
From what I can see in the video, Turn() is basically borrowing time from the future and compressing it for immediate use. And once Turn() is done, you have to pay back the time you borrowed. Am I right in thinking that you'll have the same number of actions whether you use Turn() or not, and the difference is in when and how you use them?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

my dad posted:

From what I can see in the video, Turn() is basically borrowing time from the future and compressing it for immediate use. And once Turn() is done, you have to pay back the time you borrowed. Am I right in thinking that you'll have the same number of actions whether you use Turn() or not, and the difference is in when and how you use them?

...sort of?

What we've seen in the video is the bare basics of the system. There are some other intricacies that become available as more abilities are unlocked which obviously we won't be discussing now because of spoilers, and other little things that are technically active but haven't been shown yet or expounded upon in commentary.

On the whole, though, you're right; using Turn() is basically borrowing some time that you have to pay back. I don't know if the time taken to do all the skills in a Turn() is exactly equal to the time taken to do them normally but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if the planning cost of an action is relative to its actual "cast" time.

The biggest straight up benefit is that you can't be hurt during Turn(). However, things can still move (slowly) and enemies will get shifted around by stuff you do in Turn() and you'll have to account for that sometimes. There's other stuff too but I assume that'll all be shown in videos very soon.

E: I noticed the Steam sale on Transistor also includes the Soundtrack, which is a must-buy if you're on Steam. The vocal tracks are up to what is rapidly becoming Supergiant's usual excellent quality, and the BGMs are pretty good too, though not as well suited to general listening as Bastion's since Transistor makes heavy use of variable mixes with tracks fading in and out all the time depending on whatever.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 30, 2014

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Those animations are so unsatisfying, does she ever learn to swing her anime sword like a sword?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Victis posted:

Those animations are so unsatisfying, does she ever learn to swing her anime sword like a sword?

it's huge as gently caress compared to her and probably everyone else in the city

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it's huge as gently caress compared to her and probably everyone else in the city

Yeah, that. I'm actually appreciative of the fact that she carries the thing around like it's heavy as gently caress and doesn't really know what the hell to do with it. It would look dumb as hell if she was swinging it around like it was weightless.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely agree. it shows that she isn't exactly trained in things like that and even if anyone was i doubt they'd be able to swing it around like crazy. supergiant is pretty good at putting in little touches like that, and it helps the overall presentation.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Yes this obvious sword with a handle to swing with, I'll stab into the ground. Sometimes I'll ride my motorcycle holding it with one hand like Cloud Strife though.

If it's just a dumb design decision that's cool, was just wondering if that changes.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Actually with how well the rest of the character's attacks are animated, I could see her swinging it around and really showing how hard it is.

My previous experience with this game is watching someone play about thirty minutes of it. It looked cool and good, but I just got tired of hearing Mr. USB-sword's incessant dialogue.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Victis posted:

Some functions do let her do more "traditional" swings, but not many. You'll see!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So, about that bike. It's actually an anime and has a weird sword holder. Convenient, I know!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Question: How are the KB+M controls for this game, anyway? Now that I think about it, it seems like it's really suited for gamepads, with your four active abilities mapped to the four face buttons that are always in easy reach. From the videos it looks like you're using the 1234 keys to switch between abilities and LMB to use them. It sounds... kinda clunky, especially if you're trying to do it while moving outside of Turn().

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Fedule posted:

Question: How are the KB+M controls for this game, anyway? Now that I think about it, it seems like it's really suited for gamepads, with your four active abilities mapped to the four face buttons that are always in easy reach. From the videos it looks like you're using the 1234 keys to switch between abilities and LMB to use them. It sounds... kinda clunky, especially if you're trying to do it while moving outside of Turn().
I don't have a gamepad, and the controls are basically mapped to WASD to move, 1234 to hit abilities, mouse to free-aim, space to Turn(), and right mouse click to activate functions. I got used to it fairly quickly, and compared to Bastion's KB+M controls (which eventually grew on me thanks to a lot of FPS playing) Transistor's controls on the keyboard are pretty straightforward.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Samovar posted:

This. I don't remember a situation where not using Turn() wouldn't have meant standing in place and getting wailed on during a 5 second wind-up animation for an attack that doesn't even kill anything. I cannot imagine playing this game not conducting combat entirely within Turn().

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, for me the time between Turn() was just 'okay, now dash around the field with Jaunt, because realtime will kill you dead'.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Map Jaunt to a medium-long range function, preferably one with AoE (Spark is a favorite of mine). In the beginning of the fight, find the most annoying rear end in a top hat on the battlefield and use Turn(). Kill it dead. Then use your Jaunted function to defend yourself. If things go south, run behind a wall and attack it with the function. The AoE will go through a wall and hit the enemy. Do this until Turn() comes back up. Repeat.
Alternatively, Bounce lets you hit enemies from behind cover as it will bounce off the walls and into the enemies.
This game has balance issues in both directions, but they give you a wide toolkit to use. You are encouraged to experiment and you really, really should. I have never bothered to Jaunt around the field, with the exception of several gimmicky fights.

That said, I didn't like this game as much as Bastion. Its customization somehow felt a lot more limited and its world was somehow not nearly as interesting. The few really cool parts of the settings are usually shoved off screen as fast as possible, which I thought was a real shame.
And the other issue is that if you start to lose, chances are that you will keep losing. You don't have a potion as a panic button (though you can make one...sorta...) and certain enemy configurations basically require you to bypass their mechanics altogether with Mask unless you want to end up in Stunlocktown, population: you. Bastion had a similar problem, but it was only really prevalent when you used the god handicaps. It's somehow a lot worse in this game.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Like what you're doing with the subtitles. This is looking good.
Though, your technique of just spamming crash without setting up combos and backstabs was getting to me.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Jenner posted:

Like what you're doing with the subtitles. This is looking good.
Though, your technique of just spamming crash without setting up combos and backstabs was getting to me.
Don't worry, in the second video I start showing how Crash() is able to set up extra damage on enemies.

EDIT: The footage, which was originally meant to show Red's thoughts as subtitles rather than mine before I changed that, was supposed to show how the player/Red would learn to fight more effectively as the game went on.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 1, 2014

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Fedule posted:

I don't know if the time taken to do all the skills in a Turn() is exactly equal to the time taken to do them normally but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if the planning cost of an action is relative to its actual "cast" time.

There's one thing where Turn() cheats for your benefit: if the function's planning cost is higher than the amount of cost left, you can still use the said function at the end of the Turn(), meaning you can squeeze in a ridiculously high-cost function with just 1 cost left or so.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Uhh, is that really a cheat? According to this post:

Fedule posted:

If you use it up completely (by cramming an expensive skill into the last sliver of bar) there'll actually be a bigger delay before it starts recharging.

You end up paying the price for that high cost by Turn taking longer to recharge than if you'd left a little bar left.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Again, it balances out: you get a much more powerful turn that lasts longer.
Not sure whether I'd call it a cheat either, as far as I can tell it's one of the few reasonable ways to deal with the bullshit New Game + will throw at you. But I will freely admit I didn't explore the combat system as much as I could on account of not really having enjoyed the gameplay that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Ah, that part was already stated, skipped over it, my mistake. As for the NG+ difficulty is concerned, there's a number of much better ways to cheese the hell out of the game regardless of difficulty but that's with a number of skills that haven't been mentioned yet.

• Locked thread