Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
My brother in law inflicted Grinders Death Nectar on me tonight. I've never been afraid of a hot sauce before and I wasn't afraid of this one, even when I saw the 337,000 scoville warning label. Boy, I wish I had been.

The taste was pretty OK, sweet and fruity for about two seconds before your whole mouth goes numb. After that it was like pounding nails into my tongue for the next twenty minutes. Since I no longer have a gall bladder, I guess I can't digest this poo poo properly either because despite only eating an amount that could have fit on a pencil eraser, I can feel the tortilla I ate it on moving through my digestive tract right now. It's just a lump of razorblades and fire. I can't wait to see what kind of hell this is going to unleash on my rectum.

((i do not recommend this product))

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I was trying to do my first fermented hot sauce this week. I blended up a bunch of peppers, mixed in some salt, a bit of brown sugar, and some water. I put it in a glass jar and let it sit. On the second day, it was bubbling, but by the morning on the third day the bubbling completely stopped and now it smells sort of like rotten vegetables, but not too strongly. It's now day 5 and no more bubbling. I guess this batch is no good, so I'll throw it out and try again. But what sort of things might have gone wrong here, and how do you help ensure success?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

fart simpson posted:

I was trying to do my first fermented hot sauce this week. I blended up a bunch of peppers, mixed in some salt, a bit of brown sugar, and some water. I put it in a glass jar and let it sit. On the second day, it was bubbling, but by the morning on the third day the bubbling completely stopped and now it smells sort of like rotten vegetables, but not too strongly. It's now day 5 and no more bubbling. I guess this batch is no good, so I'll throw it out and try again. But what sort of things might have gone wrong here, and how do you help ensure success?

Don't throw it out, but if it started bubbling that quickly I don't think it was lacto. Lacto usually takes a bit to build. I may be completely wrong though.

As for fermenting, I'm doing my first batch and have had such odd inconsistencies between my two batches that I can't really tell ya what's going on myself, but I've brewed with lacto before and usually it takes a little to build.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

What's it supposed to smell like? One reason I think it might have gone bad is because when I was washing and throwing peppers into the blender, I noticed some of the peppers on the bottom of the shrink wrapped package I had bought were already rotten, so it's possible I threw a couple rotten peppers in there before I noticed.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

fart simpson posted:

What's it supposed to smell like? One reason I think it might have gone bad is because when I was washing and throwing peppers into the blender, I noticed some of the peppers on the bottom of the shrink wrapped package I had bought were already rotten, so it's possible I threw a couple rotten peppers in there before I noticed.

Mine went through a phase of smelling like blue/Parmesan cheese for a bit. I don't know if you have rotten peppers in yours, but next time cut them up pre-blend to check for stuff like that.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Iiiiii'm gonna go against Midorka here.
You got unexpected results from an imperfect test run using potentially already molded produce.
Dump that poo poo.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

Iiiiii'm gonna go against Midorka here.
You got unexpected results from an imperfect test run using potentially already molded produce.
Dump that poo poo.

I dunno, there's really no harm in waiting a few weeks while working on another batch.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Pioneer42 posted:

This is normally posted in every GWS hot sauce thread, but hasn't been seen in this one yet:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Mango_Habanero_Hot_Sauce

All credit goes to NosmoKing. This is a good (and easy) recipe that was posted here a few years ago. It's a great start to learning to make and customize your own hot sauces.

I made this today and it kicked my rear end. Any way I can make it less hot by stirring in other stuff like sugar or in some other way?

Edit: Also how long does it last if I store it in the fridge?

jermsz
Nov 22, 2007
Repping a bit of New Zealand in here. Hot sauce doesnt have to be American to be good!

Kaitia Fire:

Kaitia is a town in the far north of the country, kai is the maori word for food, and Kaitia as a whole translates to ample food.

The one on the right is their go to hot sauce, has lots of heat (not in the sense that Blair's after death does) and the flavour is nice. The vinegar isnt too strong in this though if you're not a fan of that.

On the left we have Kiwifruit and Habanero. A bit of a gimmick in my opinion. Lots of people love it.

Huffman's Hot Sauce

Huffmans is made out of Wellington NZ, the countries capital located at the very south of the North Island. This hot sauce isnt quite as spicy as Kaitia fire but in my opinion (as someone who lvoes spicy poo poo) its superior. The ingredients are Vinegar, Chilis, Salt, Smoked Paprika. Theres no loving Xantham vegetable gum or stabilisers, theres no added food acid. Its straight up small batch aged in barrels for a minimum of three months. The flavour is great

Packed Lunch
Jul 25, 2007

jermsz posted:

Repping a bit of New Zealand in here.

This guy makes the best stuff ever! Just ordered a silly amount from here. Apparently they have stock with miss-labeled expiry dates, going cheap.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don't know if this is appropriate but I went to Quaker Steak and Lube and did their Triple Atomic Challenge. Destroyed 6 wings. The sauce itself had some flavor and heat that very quickly snuck up on you. Key is to eat fast. I thought Winking Lizard's Trinidad Scorpion Pepper wings were hotter but they're more heat than good flavor. Ghost pepper disappointed a lot.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gatts posted:

I don't know if this is appropriate but I went to Quaker Steak and Lube and did their Triple Atomic Challenge. Destroyed 6 wings. The sauce itself had some flavor and heat that very quickly snuck up on you. Key is to eat fast. I thought Winking Lizard's Trinidad Scorpion Pepper wings were hotter but they're more heat than good flavor. Ghost pepper disappointed a lot.
The lube wings disappoint the hell out of me. Waiver and everything for their stupid show and they tasted like capsicum extract and don't even make you burn your bits if you don't wash up well. IMO not even as good as BW3 blazzing. I didn't know winking had a Scorpion pepper, maybe that'll be lunch.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mr. Wookums posted:

The lube wings disappoint the hell out of me. Waiver and everything for their stupid show and they tasted like capsicum extract and don't even make you burn your bits if you don't wash up well. IMO not even as good as BW3 blazzing. I didn't know winking had a Scorpion pepper, maybe that'll be lunch.

Blazing isn't even really hot..it's just bad.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Agreed, but it isn't offensive tasting. I just really really don't like the Quaker Lube atomic. They bring you some stupid gloves and make you sign a paper that you will not sue them and don't have a loving heart condition while the sauces doesn't even register at 500k and tastes like lovely oil.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Just made the NosmoKing Mango Habanero salsa, add me to the list of fans! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I want to make that exact stuff for my family for Christmas. I'm guessing I'm going to have to sterilize the bottles before I fill them? Does anyone know about that kind of thing here?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

kinmik posted:

I want to make that exact stuff for my family for Christmas. I'm guessing I'm going to have to sterilize the bottles before I fill them? Does anyone know about that kind of thing here?

Boil them if glass. You can also go to a homebrew shop and buy starsan, but read the directions on it. That's a no rinse sanitizer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jmcrofts posted:

I've seen some fellow El Yucateco lovers ITT, but has anyone tried their "XXXtra" hot sauce, Kutbil-Ik? It's very hot and very delicious, with a strong Habanero flavor. I can't get enough of it.

I also tried out their Black Label sauce, and didn't like it at all. Something about the overpowering smoke flavor just turned me off big time.

Tried this the other day and my stomach still hurts :(

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Tried this the other day and my stomach still hurts :(

drat. I've practically built up a tolerance to it, I use this stuff almost every day.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Midorka posted:

Boil them if glass. You can also go to a homebrew shop and buy starsan, but read the directions on it. That's a no rinse sanitizer.
Thanks for this. I'll probably boil them; I'm looking more toward a thrifty holiday, but I'll try to consider the other option too. :)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I thought the phaal at Bricklane curry house was very good. I used to get that for lunch/dinner.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

kinmik posted:

Thanks for this. I'll probably boil them; I'm looking more toward a thrifty holiday, but I'll try to consider the other option too. :)

Quick tip for you and the rest of us that make sauce. I was at AC Moore and they had little glass bottles with mini corks for $1 each. I picked up 3 for bottling hot sauce. I think they'll be just fine with corks, will report back though.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

The mango habanero hot sauce has earned some serious praise from friends and colleagues, I'm making another batch soon and would also like to try something else.
Any suggestions for a good recipe for red habaneros?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shbobdb posted:

I thought the phaal at Bricklane curry house was very good. I used to get that for lunch/dinner.

I thought it was a bit too bitter.

linusBorlaug
Aug 1, 2013
I ordered the Carolina reaper sauce and Marie Sharp's Orange pulp and habanero. I haven't had more than the tiniest taste of the reaper yet, though I have high hopes. The Sharp's on the other hand might be my new favorite hot sauce.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Here's a fair warning for anyone who thinks they're tough poo poo and decides to take capsaicin extracts: don't gently caress with it.

I ordered Pure Evil 9.6 SHU and I tried it in some pizza, about 13 drops in the sauce. In the mouth it's just perfect, nothing too intense there. But dear god do not let it get on your skin. Apparently capsaicin goes through latex. God I wish I knew that one beforehand. My hands, my thigh (accidentally dropped some on my pants ooops) and parts of my arms have been burning for about 2 days now. Even the toughest degreaser won't remove that poo poo from your skin. Just gotta tough it out like a man. Also everything you touch is contaminated so it's just amazing when you start getting it on other people.

e: Now I know why it said "Keep away from idiots" on the warning that came with it

Highblood fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 10, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Highblood posted:

Here's a fair warning for anyone who thinks they're tough poo poo and decides to take capsaicin extracts: don't gently caress with it.

I ordered Pure Evil 9.6 SHU and I tried it in some pizza, about 13 drops in the sauce. In the mouth it's just perfect, nothing too intense there. But dear god do not let it get on your skin. Apparently capsaicin goes through latex. God I wish I knew that one before hand. My hands, my thigh (accidentally dropped some on my pants ooops) and parts of my arms have been burning for about 2 days now. Even the toughest degreaser won't remove that poo poo from your skin. Just gotta tough it out like a man. Also everything you touch is contaminated so it's just amazing when you start getting it on other people.

e: Now I know why it said "Keep away from idiots" on the warning that came with it

Holy cow, I know I shouldn't laugh, but it's kind of funny in a really lovely way.

hankki
Nov 10, 2009
Could someone shed some light on how much the NosmoKing's mango habanero sauce yields? I'm making it as a part of my Christmas gift baskets and seeing how high the price of habaneros (and mangos) is in Finland, I really don't want to double/triple the recipe if it isn't necessary.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

hankki posted:

Could someone shed some light on how much the NosmoKing's mango habanero sauce yields? I'm making it as a part of my Christmas gift baskets and seeing how high the price of habaneros (and mangos) is in Finland, I really don't want to double/triple the recipe if it isn't necessary.

I made it four weeks ago and got about 400 ml by volume.

Present fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 10, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

hankki posted:

Three filled half-pint mason jars and a custard cup for me.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Well drat. I was wondering the same thing and looks like the in-laws are getting little dinky bottles of the stuff. On the same subject, how long would it last in unrefrigerated bottles?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It is very spicy and pretty flavorful. Seven little 4 ounce jars would take the recipients very far. One spoonful will spice up a couple good servings of curried lentils and rice.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Does anyone have a recipe for a home made creamy Sarah sauce?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Highblood posted:

I ordered Pure Evil 9.6 SHU and I tried it in some pizza, about 13 drops in the sauce. In the mouth it's just perfect, nothing too intense there. But dear god do not let it get on your skin. Apparently capsaicin goes through latex. God I wish I knew that one before hand. My hands, my thigh (accidentally dropped some on my pants ooops) and parts of my arms have been burning for about 2 days now. Even the toughest degreaser won't remove that poo poo from your skin. Just gotta tough it out like a man. Also everything you touch is contaminated so it's just amazing when you start getting it on other people.

Does anyone else remember that article where a lab worker talked about accidentally inhaling a small capsacaicin crystal through his nose? :newlol:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

used this stuff on some sardines the other day

really really good. Heat blends into the food so it's not overpowering the inherent flavor of the food.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Just tried the habanero version of Julio's salsa, from Del Rio TX. It's delicious. They sell their salsas in plastic tubs in the refrigerated section by the butter/cream cheese/sour cream etc.

It has a great kick and tart, salty flavor. They also make tortilla chips which are ridiculously tasty. I'm finding that habanero level salsa is a really happy place for me. Plenty enough heat to be interesting, but not enough to knock me on my rear end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I went to Peppers of Key West when I was down that way a few weeks ago. Are these hot sauce tasting bars common at all in the US? There's nothing like that here, but it was a ton of fun. Good concept too, allowing people to try lots of different sauces for free so they can buy stuff they actually enjoy. Between myself and the gf we spent about $80 in 2 trips so it obviously worked on us!

Ended up getting the Dr Assburns, the Cave Creek Chili Beer (without realising it was based on the actual beer I've had before and enjoyed), one of their own sauces, and the Fischer & Wieser Bacon/Chipotle. And a few packs of habanero jelly beans which are great fun.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Cajun power garlic sauce is pretty good. Thanks for reminding me to track down another bottle.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

There's a place around here with lots of hot sauces to try, like 100 or so, but the guy who runs it looks like he hates life so I stay away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

GrAviTy84 posted:

used this stuff on some sardines the other day

really really good. Heat blends into the food so it's not overpowering the inherent flavor of the food.
This is some really good stuff, plenty hot and unique flavor.