Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If he continues to play well in China you can probably safely say that he isn't completely awful, but I don't know that it says much about his chances of being a star in the NBA given how many marginal or worse NBA players have had success there. If you're into intangibles it probably says something about his mental strength that he was able to adjust to such a huge change so quickly.

To be he's basically Exum. Big point guard prospect with intriguing tools, but still really rough around the edges and without much meaningful information to evaluate him from. He's a little bit more of known quantity, but it's not by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was looking around for some gameplay videos of Okafor (how they work in the set, mistakes as well as successes) instead of those 1000 dunks HUGE UPSIDE capital letters videos and youtube keeps showing me new videos of Thon Maker while I'm reading that age discussion in the NBA thread and it's freaking me the hell out holy poo poo :eyepop:

but yah there were a few preseason videos and there's been a game or so now so I want to see how they're all doing. How does college preseason compare to NBA preseason? Asking cause things look lax as heck in that first one, barely bothering to pass out of a double
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUG7OKrzDmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDD1xLddV_I

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 22, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Watching cbb this morning.

Okafor looks like the real deal and ready for the NBA already.

I have no idea why Oubre doesn't play. Self is a madman.

Alexander looks incredibly raw and barely skilled.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, I think we need to start watching the CBA, look at those loving stats
Quincy Douby scored 75 points in a game, the CBA is pretty great for inflated stats

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I want, no, I NEED to know how Jamaal Franklin is averaging that many points

Also hey a dojo and Mike Harris sighting

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

Watching cbb this morning.

Okafor looks like the real deal and ready for the NBA already.

I have no idea why Oubre doesn't play. Self is a madman.

Alexander looks incredibly raw and barely skilled.

Bill Self posted:

I have no problem with playing the guys who are the best. I do know this… who we play the most now won't be who we play the most later. That's why guys just have to hang in there and keep grinding. This is a big transition people don't understand. It is a big transition from high school and AAU ball. It's like you showcase your running and jumping and athletic ability. In many cases it just takes a little time for these kids. That's what they are, is kids.

I get frustrated because the NBA people or whoever project somebody based on a pickup game in Vegas. To me that is ridiculous. It places some unfair expectations on some and it keeps some under the radar. These guys are going to be seen enough in practice by all of the NBA teams. They are going to end up where they deserve to be.

Kelly and Cliff will get a chance to (play), they just need to hang in there and be patient.

It isn't how you start a race it is how you finish it. They need to fight through and grind through some stuff. I will tell you this, if they were on fire and playing great I would never be asked this question. There is a maturation process that has to take place with everybody. Some things you just can't force feed it just has to play out.

If you look it Kelly he is a 6-foot-7 and a half wing that hasn't ever been a wing and never been a guard. Everybody was on Wigs last year but Wigs played a four and he could bounce it two bounces and everybody thinks he was a guard. He never played guard. Kelly has never played there, he has never been coming off ball screens and doing that kind of stuff. Just give these guys a chance to get their feet under them. I think everyone will be pleased in the end.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Glumslinger posted:

According to RealGm, these are the CBA league leaders in PPG:

code:
1	Errick McCollum		44.38
2	Dominique Jones		35.62
3	Quincy Douby		34.71
4	Lester Hudson		30.29
5	Michael Beasley		29.88
6	Jordan Crawford		29.4
7	Von Wafer		29.29
8	Al Harrington		29.14
9	Bobby Brown		28.43
10	Randolph Morris		27.86
11	Jamaal Franklin		27.71
12	Andray Blatche		27.25
13	Will McDonald		26.86
14	Mike Harris		26.83
15	Toney Douglas		26.62
16	Justin Dentmon		26.43
17	Willie Warren		26.29
18	Pooh Jeter		26
19	Charles Gaines		25.4
20	Jianlian Yi		25.33
21	Mike Efevberha		24.43
22	Josh Akognon		24.43
23	Brandon Costner		24.4
24	Metta World Peace	23.29
25	Zhelin Wang		22.43
26	Chris Singleton		21.5
27	Shelden Williams	21.5
28	Michel Madanly		21.33
29	Mahdi Kamrany		20.86
30	Fadi El Khatib		20.5
31	Emmanuel Mudiay		20.14
Also, I think we need to start watching the CBA, look at those loving stats

It's super dope

If Coach K wasn't such a self-involved dickwad then Self would easily be my least favorite college basketball coach

EvanTH posted:

I was looking around for some gameplay videos of Okafor (how they work in the set, mistakes as well as successes) instead of those 1000 dunks HUGE UPSIDE capital letters videos and youtube keeps showing me new videos of Thon Maker while I'm reading that age discussion in the NBA thread and it's freaking me the hell out holy poo poo :eyepop:

but yah there were a few preseason videos and there's been a game or so now so I want to see how they're all doing. How does college preseason compare to NBA preseason? Asking cause things look lax as heck in that first one, barely bothering to pass out of a double

College preseason tends to be against the cuppyest of cupcakes. It's sort of like D-League in that if you look bad it's really bad but if you look okay-to-good then you might still be really terrible.

euphronius posted:

How easy is marijuana to get in China.

Not at all. Maybe opium is the right drug for Beas

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Declan MacManus posted:

If Coach K wasn't such a self-involved dickwad then Self would easily be my least favorite college basketball coach

One more category we're beating out Tom Crean. :smuggo:

I bet Oubre gets the same playing time as Selby, which gives more time to Mykhailiuk (:dance:) but probably gets Oubre the shaft even though they don't really play the same position. I don't know, maybe it'll pan out better. Alexander definitely will, because Self is a genius is getting post players performing in college, though Cliff will probably suck in the league. But Oubre will probably leave Lawrence after this year with a bitter taste in his mouth and go dunk for a team that gets him in the late first round.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oubre got a whole six minutes.

The more I watched Alexander though the more his "force of nature" style comes to the front. He is pretty impressive down low, but Mich S. looked really small.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

Oubre got a whole six minutes.

The more I watched Alexander though the more his "force of nature" style comes to the front. He is pretty impressive down low, but Mich S. looked really small.

Self wings tend to do better in the pros than their college performance would suggest, and Self bigs tend to do worse. It's not a 1:1 sure thing like Boeheim's defensive coaching being garbage, but that's how things trend. It's very hard to grade out Kansas prospects reliably.

Of course it is hard to grade out any prospects reliably but whatever

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I know. Alexander will be a "project" for sure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

http://www.libertyballers.com/the-liberty-beat/2014/12/1/7313397/76ers-draft-pick-dario-saric-wins-euroleague-mvp-for-the-month-of

Dario Saric wins Euroleague monthly MVP.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Why top wing prospects keep going to KU is beyond me.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

Self wings tend to do better in the pros than their college performance would suggest, and Self bigs tend to do worse. It's not a 1:1 sure thing like Boeheim's defensive coaching being garbage, but that's how things trend. It's very hard to grade out Kansas prospects reliably.

Of course it is hard to grade out any prospects reliably but whatever

Who produces the hardest to grade prospects now that Ben Howland is an unemployed man?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Igor Strelkov posted:

Who produces the hardest to grade prospects now that Ben Howland is an unemployed man?

Boeheim, but that's been true for a long time.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

kiimo posted:

It was in July and I wouldn't say I called him lovely.

I just said that I thought Mudiay could be the top pick and that some mocks had reservations about him being the consensus #1. Due to his height or athleticism. I don't totally remember. But you do have a solid take on players way before the rest of us see them in action which is one of the many reason why you're mod.
lol this post is absurdly bitchmade

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EvanTH posted:

That game against Presbyterian is a total cupcake game but it actually counts. Preseason games are often against D2 or D3 schools so they really do mean jack poo poo. Michigan State played their first exhibition this season against a Christian liberal arts college with 1,000 students because one well-liked player who was injured his entire career here transferred there for his final year of eligibility.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Army actually had a guy who was close to 7' and he had not chance against Okafor. Okafor is really smooth and quick.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Its the law of conservation of matter. When Tim Duncan leaves the NBA, his clone must enter it...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers pretty much have to take him #1 if they get the first pick. Figure it out later. Embiid may never be healthy anyway.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Boeheim, but that's been true for a long time.
That makes sense

http://bballbreakdown.com/2012/03/29/syracuse-vs-ohio-state-why-boeheims-program-doesnt-prepare-his-players-for-the-nba/ For non college watching people, this is a very funny and enlightening post

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this is insanely annoying

quote:

Currently in the headlines for causing havoc in both Denver and New York, Melo has never shown the ability nor the desire to play man to man defense. He’s never displayed a positional understanding of weakside help, nor has he been able to blend himself into a team offense. The last time he truly fit in was with Boeheim at Syracuse, where their offense expects one on one play.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

straight up brolic posted:

this is insanely annoying

It's funnier because this is also there.

quote:

RONY SEIKALY
The best pro of any of the Orangemen Boeheim has coached, he benefited from being from a different country, I’m sure bringing his work ethic with him from Lebanon. His post game was polished, but I’d argue he did a lot of that polishing after he got to the NBA. He starred for some pretty awful Miami Heat teams in the early 90’s, before bouncing around the league.
Career: 14.7ppg, 9.5rpg, 1.3apg, 1.3bpg, 48% FG

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

quote:

DERRICK COLEMAN
He is the poster child for great athlete who never knew how to play the game. Bouncing from team to team for 15 years, he showed just enough promise to make another team want to trade for him, but weighing them down once he arrived.
Career: 16.5ppg, 9.3rpg, 2.5apg,1.3bpg 45% FG

What the gently caress. DC was amazing, he just didnt care/was hurt most of the time.

Also he was an AS during his 4 year peak at NJ.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That is a pretty strong adjective to use for Derrick Coleman.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

fat is the best descriptor of derrick coleman

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I meant amazing in how he knew how to play the game.

The right way.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

fat is the best descriptor of derrick coleman

I try to give him a break; dude had a pretty serious problem with alcohol and clinical depression.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol this post is absurdly bitchmade

Teach me how to post hard.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
So I'm looking at Tyus Jones, and I'm thinking "Good News For Friendship Basketball", he's the guy what signed onto Duke as a package with Okafor because they're both from the high school of Apple Valley, Minnesota but then I'm thinking dang this kid looks like a ventriloquist dummy

then I'm thinking I wonder if he has to shave to make it two brows? then I'm wondering how many years of Anthony Davis Dominance it's going to take before we get more folks coming in leaving it as two? Or will they pick up a lil PG who's like Hey AD Me Too I wanna Be Like Antman. I can't wait !!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

he's the guy what signed onto Duke as a package with Okafor because they're both from the high school of Apple Valley, Minnesota

Okafor played in Chicago, Jones played for Apple Valley but they were friends and wanted to play together in college. I dunno how Jones is doing right now, but he was a pretty coveted prospect and DX has him in the late first right now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jones has been okay so far (he's shooting poorly but he's a good distributer) but is generally regarded as a much better college prospect than a pro prospect because he's a kind of so-so athlete and shooter.

He and Okafor didn't play on the same high school or AAU team, but they were buddies from Team USA and various camps/tournaments. Everyone knows everyone in high level basketball these days.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
That's so disappointing Apple Valley sounds like a Mario Brothers name like a name made up by foreign spies to sound Western

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jones feels like Eric Maynor a bit to me. I like that, and OKC will be looking for a backup point next year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Unless he plays like he did against Wisconsin regularly I'd be surprised if he's in this draft.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
7 foot Latvian Kristaps Porzingis, DraftExpress #9, #2 international after Hezonja, busting out the Jordan Tongue. Remarkable veteran tongue presence for a kid who was born in, '95, between Bulls threepeats.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

His body shape just screams "goon".

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

kiimo posted:

His body shape just screams "goon".

NBA strength training can work miracles.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
New Ched Ford mock draft

quote:

1. Jahlil Okafor Philadelphia 76ers COLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-11WT: 275POS: C
76ers' chances of winning lottery: 25 percent

The Sixers lost their first 17 games of the season and despite a couple of wins last week, are expected to keep this spot all season long. Look up a definition of NBA tanking (by a front office, not by the players themselves) and there's a Sixers logo.

The problem with the strategy this season is that none of the elite players in this draft really fits a need. The Sixers really need help at the wing -- especially at shooting guard. But the strength of the top of the draft is in the middle and at point guard, and that's where all of the Sixers talent lies. They have three talented big men (Nerlens Noel, Joel Embiid and Dario Saric) and a point guard who won 2013-14 Rookie of the Year (Michael Carter-Williams). What do you do?

If we know one thing about Sam Hinkie -- he's not afraid to collect assets. Right now, Okafor is the consensus No. 1 pick. He may not fit a need, but he's crazy talented and there will be minutes for him alongside Noel and Embiid. Emmanuel Mudiay might be a slightly better fit for the Sixers and could come into play if they decide to try to trade Carter-Williams for another high draft prospect. And Karl-Anthony Towns may be the best fit of the group because he does something that Noel doesn't do and Embiid shouldn't be doing -- stretch the floor. So while Okafor gets the nod right now, Mudiay and Towns are still very much in the mix.

PLAYER CARD
2. Karl-Anthony Towns Detroit Pistons COLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-11WT: 250POS: C
Pistons' chances of winning lottery: 19.9 percent

Whether you love or hate Stan Van Gundy, I don't think anyone saw the Pistons being this bad. A loss last week to the Sixers punctuated the misery in Detroit right now. If ownership hadn't just turned the keys of the franchise over to Van Gundy, he'd probably be out of a job right now.

The only real bright spot for Detroit right now is in the middle: Andre Drummond still looks like he has the potential to be a stud. Greg Monroe is likely bolting this upcoming summer when he hits unrestricted free agency. Josh Smith is getting more minutes at the four, but isn't helping his cause. Brandon Jennings is having a solid season statistically, but he doesn't make anyone better. The issues at the 2 and 3 are much more glaring.

I think Towns would get the slight nod over Mudiay right now. He's huge, has been a defensive monster and can also stretch the floor. Drafting Towns allows them to let Monroe walk in the summer and to use his cap space to get some help at the wing.

PLAYER CARD
3. Emmanuel Mudiay New York Knicks COLLEGE: ChinaHT: 6-5WT: 196POS: PG
Knicks' chances of winning lottery: 15.6 percent

The Knicks are a mess and desperately need an infusion of young talent. Their best young talent probably is Tim Hardaway Jr., but he's averaging just 17 MPG and is likely a long-term backup in the NBA. Iman Shumpert still has promise, but he still hasn't lived up to his potential. The team needs help at really every position Carmelo Anthony doesn't play.

I think the Knicks would be thrilled to pick up Mudiay -- a big point guard (something Phil Jackson has always loved) who can play on or off the ball. Mudiay is a work in progress, but he's a terrific athlete who can attack the basket. He'd offer Knicks fans something they've desperately needed for a while -- hope.

PLAYER CARD
4. Kristaps Porzingis Minnesota Timberwolves COLLEGE: LatviaHT: 6-11WT: 220POS: PF
Timberwolves' chances of winning lottery: 11.9 percent

The Timberwolves are in the best place of any team in the top five. They are loaded with young talent: Ricky Rubio, Andrew Wiggins, Zach LaVine and Gorgui Dieng could all be All-Stars some day, while Anthony Bennett and Shabazz Muhammad have shown some serious talent as well. That's six potentially elite young players, which gives the Wolves the luxury of drafting the best player left on the board as they don't have any obvious long-term holes.

Porzingis sure looks like that guy. He's big, he's athletic, he plays with a great motor, and everyone who's played with him or against him raves about his potential. He seems like a great fit on a team that has already shown that it can embrace international players.

PLAYER CARD
5. Justise Winslow Los Angeles Lakers COLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-6WT: 222POS: SF
Lakers' chances of winning lottery: 7.6 percent

Lakers fans can breath a huge sigh of relief if they land here in the Top 5. Thanks to the Steve Nash trade, the Lakers owe this pick to Phoenix if it falls between No. 6 and 30. The team will be cutting it very, very close this season. Had the Lakers lost the coin flip with the Jazz, this pick would have gone to the Suns. Ultimately, losing would be the best thing to happen to the Lakers. The team really has one promising young prospect -- Julius Randle -- who is missing his rookie season with a leg injury. He's their power forward of the future.

Every other spot in the starting lineup is really pretty wide open going forward. I think Winslow might be the perfect fit for them for a number of reasons: 1. The Lakers are currently starting Wesley Johnson at the 3; and 2. Winslow has the sort of toughness and winner's mentality that Kobe Bryant can respect. Like Randle, he's going to go hard every minute. While Winslow still needs to work on his jumper, he should be able to come in right away and give the Lakers hustle, toughness and defense along with his terrific ability to finish drives at the rim. With Randle and Winslow as the two guys the Lakers will be building around, Lakers fans can start to feel better about the team's long-term future.

PLAYER CARD
6. Kevon Looney Utah Jazz COLLEGE: UCLAHT: 6-10WT: 210POS: PF
Jazz' chances of winning lottery: 7.5 percent

The Jazz, like the Wolves, are actually loaded with promising young players at every position. Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors have already arrived, to a degree. Others like Dante Exum and Rudy Gobert look like they're going to join them soon. The jury is still out on the ceiling for players like Alec Burks, Trey Burke and Enes Kanter (who will be a restricted free agent this summer), but there's talent there.

That sort of depth gives the Jazz some flexibility here. With Kanter potentially leaving over the summer, the Jazz could use some more size, and Looney could be an interesting fit. He's long, athletic, a beast on the offensive boards and very versatile. Put him on team that already has Favors, Gobert and possibly Kanter, and the Jazz have potentially one of the deepest frontcourts in the NBA.

PLAYER CARD
7. Mario Hezonja Charlotte Hornets COLLEGE: CroatiaHT: 6-7WT: 200POS: SF
Hornets' chances of winning lottery: 4.3 percent

Of all the teams in the top 10, the Hornets are the most surprising. Many, including yours truly, picked them to not only be a playoff team, but potentially one that could grab a fourth or fifth seed. Instead, they've been a mess all season. They have the talent to turn things around, and I wouldn't be shocked if they get their act together. But if they stay on their current trajectory, they'll at least get a chance to add another potential young cornerstone to the roster.

The Hornets don't particularly have any glaring needs. They have talented young players like Kemba Walker, Cody Zeller, Lance Stephenson, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, P.J. Hairston and Noah Vonleh. And they have a few key veterans like Al Jefferson and Marvin Williams. Their biggest need is probably 3-point shooting (the team is shooting just 31 percent from 3 this season, with no one cracking 40 percent other than Vonleh). Hezonja could be a complement to Kidd-Gilchrist at the 3. He isn't getting as many minutes for FC Barcelona as scouts would like, but the talent is terrific. He's a very good athlete, a prolific scorer, an improved shooter and can play with some attitude. His defense is a major question mark, but he has the potential to be an elite talent.

PLAYER CARD
8 Myles Turner Indiana Pacers COLLEGE: TexasHT: 7-0WT: 240POS: PF
Pacers' chances of winning lottery: 2.8 percent

The Pacers knew they were in for a long season when Paul George sustained his long-term injury. But I don't think they understood how badly it would go. Starting point guard George Hill has yet to play, and David West missed the first 15 games of the season. To date, big man Roy Hibbert has been their only real bright spot.

Next season, they'll hopefully have a healthy George, Hibbert and Hill as their core. West will be an unrestricted free agent and will be 35 going into next season, so the situation at the 2-guard is pretty wide open.

The Pacers could go a lot of ways here, but Turner seems like a good fit. The fact that he leads all freshmen, and all players on our Big Board right now, in college PER is a bonus, too. The Pacers, like everyone else, will just have to take a long look at those knees. Turner says he's healthy, but the way he runs has some scouts suspicious. If he's healthy, a front line of George, Turner and Hibbert would be very, very long -- and very, very scary defensively.

PLAYER CARD
9 Willie Cauley-SteinBoston Celtics COLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 7-0WT: 240POS: C
Celtics' chances of winning lottery: 1.7 percent

It's still a little early to get a complete grasp on the direction in which the Celtics are heading. They haven't been terrible, but they haven't been good either. Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green are the veterans right now, and have been playing well. Several young players, including Jared Sullinger and Tyler Zeller, have been good as well. And the team remains very high on young players Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, Kelly Olynyk and James Young.

I suspect that at some point Rondo and Green will be gone -- if not by the trade deadline, then this upcoming summer. The Celtics also need shot blocking, and Cauley-Stein seems like the obvious option for them. He's still an enigma offensively, but Cauley-Stein's athleticism, length and ability to get off the floor should make him a dangerous weapon on defense in the NBA. I think he'd be a nice fit in Boston.

PLAYER CARD
10 Chris McCullough Orlando Magic COLLEGE: SyracuseHT: 6-9WT: 200POS: PF
Magic's chances of winning lottery: 0.8 percent

The Magic have played better than expected this season, and they've done it despite injuries to the likes of Victor Oladipo and No. 4 pick Aaron Gordon. When everyone is back and totally in rhythm, it's not out of the question that the Magic could end up landing in the playoffs in the watered down East.

The Magic have their center, Nikola Vucevic, locked up long term. Tobias Harris is scoring like a mad man again. They love the future potential of Gordon, Oladipo and Elfrid Payton. Evan Fournier and Kyle O'Quinn are giving them good minutes, too. McCullough is a very interesting prospect. He's got a 7-foot-3 wingspan, protects the rim, but can step out and nail a jumper. He's having a very impressive freshman season at Syracuse, and could be a nice long-term pick to play behind Channing Frye at the 4.

PLAYER CARD
11 R.J. Hunter Oklahoma City Thunder COLLEGE: Georgia StHT: 6-5WT: 185POS: SG
Thunder's chances of winning lottery: 1.1 percent

I don't expect the Thunder to be sitting in this position for long. With a healthy Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook back on the floor, they'll make a strong push for the playoffs. Still, this is where they currently sit, and if for some reason they can't break away from the pack (the West is awfully loaded), it would give the Thunder a chance to add another young potential star to the stable.

I could see the Thunder going a lot of potential ways next summer, but Hunter stands out as a fit. He's mature, shoots the lights out and reminds many scouts of Klay Thompson. If he's anywhere close to that, he could land the starting 2-guard spot in OKC and they could terrorize the league for the rest of the decade. But don't get your hopes up, Thunder fans. I think Hunter will be long gone before the Thunder actually draft in June.

PLAYER CARD
12 Stanley Johnson Denver Nuggets COLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-7WT: 237POS: SF
Nuggets' chances of winning lottery: 0.7 percent

The Nuggets were hoping that the addition of Arron Afflalo, Gary Harris and a healthy Danilo Gallinari, as well as an improving Kenneth Faried, would mean that they wouldn't be in the lottery again. If they were playing in the East, they wouldn't be. But in the loaded West, it's hard to believe the Nuggets are going to crack one of those top eight spots, despite some solid play of late.

The team doesn't have any real glaring holes right now, and picking at No. 12 means they probably aren't going to fill them even if they had them here. It would be hard to pass on Johnson. His NBA body, toughness and hustle would give the Nuggets a potential replacement for Wilson Chandler and Alonzo Gee, who both should be free agents next summer.

PLAYER CARD
13 D'Angelo Russell Houston Rockets COLLEGE: Ohio StateHT: 6-5WT: 176POS: SG
Rockets' chances of winning lottery: 0.6 percent

The Pelicans send this pick to the Rockets if it falls between No. 4 and 19 as part of the Omer Asik deal they did in July. The Rockets are a pretty elite team right now. A great backup point guard is probably the biggest need. While Russell is more of a combo guard, he's shown the ability to run a team at Ohio State this season, and projects as a Jamal Crawford-like guard at the next level.

PLAYER CARD
14 Jakob Poeltl Chicago Bulls COLLEGE: UtahHT: 7-0WT: 230POS: C
Bulls' chances of winning lottery: 0.5 percent

The Bulls get this pick from the Cavs as part of the Luol Deng trade in January 2014. The Cavs acquired it as part of an Omri Casspi-for-J.J. Hickson swap in 2011. What it means is that once again, the Bulls are going to have a lottery pick, despite an already loaded roster.

While the team is loaded with bigs -- Joakim Noah, Pau Gasol, Taj Gibson and Nikola Mirotic -- Noah is the only true center on the roster. Poeltl, who is rising on draft boards, could be a steal at No. 14. Not only is Poeltl dominating the boards as a freshman, but he also has a terrific offensive game as well.

PLAYER CARD
15 Kelly Oubre Atlanta Hawks COLLEGE: KansasHT: 6-7WT: 204POS: SF
The Hawks continue to get the gift that keeps on giving from the Nets as part of the Joe Johnson trade. This season, the Hawks have the right to swap picks with the Nets.

Atlanta's biggest need is at the wing position, and if it can somehow land Oubre here, it will be reminiscent of the year Josh Smith fell to them. Oubre is a top-5 talent, but he's struggled to get much playing time at Kansas this season, and when he is on the court, he's struggled. He's definitely worth the risk at 15, though.

PLAYER CARD
16 Caris LeVert Philadelphia 76ers COLLEGE: MichiganHT: 6-6WT: 185POS: SF
The Sixers get this pick from the Heat via the Cavs. If the Sixers draft a big with their first pick, they�??�?�¢??ll likely try to get another wing with their second pick. LeVert would be a nice add here. He's probably the best passing wing in college basketball right now, and shows a nice balance between scoring and getting others involved.

PLAYER CARD
17 Cliff Alexander Milwaukee Bucks COLLEGE: KansasHT: 6-8WT: 251POS: PF
The Bucks have been a pleasant surprise this season. They have one of the best young cores in the league, featuring Giannis Antetokounmpo and Jabari Parker. Brandon Knight is having a career-best season as well. Alexander could be another interesting player for them. He's a strong, physical rebounder who tries to dunk everything he touches. He isn't particularly skilled, and scouts wish he was a few inches taller, but at No. 17, he's a very good piece.

PLAYER CARD
18 Montrezl Harrell Phoenix Suns COLLEGE: LouisvilleHT: 6-7WT: 243POS: PF
The Morris twins have been largely holding down the power forward spot for the Suns, but adding Harrell would make it even stronger. Harrell is a more explosive athlete, a better rebounder and shot blocker. He lacks the Morris' ability to drain 3s, but adds some toughness to a Suns front line that can be a little on the soft side.

PLAYER CARD
19 Terry Rozier Chicago Bulls COLLEGE: LouisvilleHT: 6-2WT: 190POS: PG
The Bulls still hold their breath every time Derrick Rose steps onto the floor, and his backups are either old (Kirk Hinrich) or undersized (Aaron Brooks). Rozier is Tom Thibodeau's type of point guard. Tough, athletic and gets after it defensively. He's a better jump shot a way from being a terrific option on the offensive side as well.

PLAYER CARD
20 Frank Kaminsky Cleveland Cavaliers COLLEGE: WisconsinHT: 7-0WT: 234POS: C
LeBron has made it pretty clear he's not exactly into rookies, but Kaminsky could be the exception. The team needs long-term help in the middle, and Kaminsky is the most experienced player on our board. He can step out and shoot the 3, but is also a solid rebounder and shot blocker. Best of all, he looks like the type of prospect who can step in and play right away.

PLAYER CARD
21 Egemen Guven Dallas Mavericks COLLEGE: TurkeyHT: 6-9WT: 210POS: PF
The Mavs always have had a fondness for international players, and Guven is a player with terrific long-term potential. He was the MVP of the European under-18 championships, and a number of scouts have compared him to a young Pau Gasol. The Mavs are in win-now mode and are unlikely to play rookies. Selecting a draft-and-stash player in Europe might be their best option.

PLAYER CARD
22 Trey Lyles Brooklyn Nets COLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-10WT: 235POS: PF
The Nets are quickly realizing that the hundreds of millions they spent trying to buy an NBA title have been wasted. As Marc Stein wrote on Tuesday, Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez can all be had for the right price in trade right now. That really puts their entire roster in flux in the long term. Right now, however, their biggest long-term need appears to be at the power forward position. With Kevin Garnett likely retiring at the end of the season (and he's a free agent even if he doesn't) they could use some help. While Lyles isn't an elite athlete, he has one of the highest basketball IQs of anyone in the class, and is super skilled.

PLAYER CARD
23 Bobby Portis Washington Wizards COLLEGE: ArkansasHT: 6-11WT: 231POS: PF
The Wizards are pretty well set in the long term at point guard, shooting guard and center. They're also hoping that Otto Porter Jr. will be a long-term answer at the 3, and he's shown some signs that this could be the case. That leaves power forward as their biggest long-term need. Nene only has one year left on his contract, and he's prone to injuries. Portis doesn't particularly wow you, but he's big, athletic and can score both inside and outside; he'd be a nice get this late in the first round.

PLAYER CARD
24 Dakari Johnson San Antonio Spurs COLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 7-0WT: 255POS: C
Johnson is quietly putting together a very nice season coming off the bench for Kentucky. He has the second highest PER of anyone on the team behind Towns. While the Spurs have a solid starting center in Tiago Splitter, Johnson would be a terrific backup for them.

PLAYER CARD
25 Sam Dekker Toronto Raptors COLLEGE: WisconsinHT: 6-9WT: 230POS: SF
The Raptors remain the best team in the East, but just the fifth best in the NBA -- which should tell you something about the conference. The Raptors have a strong starting five and some depth, giving them the luxury to just draft the best player they can find. Dekker isn't wowing anyone yet this season, but he's a big, tough forward who can score from multiple spots on the floor.

PLAYER CARD
26 Tyus Jones Boston Celtics COLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-1WT: 170POS: PG
The Celtics drafted Marcus Smart in June, but with the growing chances Rajon Rondo will be wearing a new uniform next season, they could use some depth here. Jones is a very different player from Smart. He lacks Smart's size, strength and athleticism, but he's the purest point guard in the draft, rarely makes mistakes and plays without fear. He could be a perfect backup for Smart.

PLAYER CARD
27 Rondae Hollis-Jefferson Los Angeles Lakers COLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-7WT: 220POS: SF
If the Lakers add a small forward with their first pick, adding a guard like Hollis-Jefferson would be another nice complement to the team. Hollis-Jefferson is an elite athlete, defends multiple positions and plays with the type of competitiveness that the Lakers -- especially Kobe -- really value. If he had a decent jumper, he'd be much higher on the board. He could end up being a Gerald Wallace type of player in the NBA.

PLAYER CARD
28 Chris Walker Portland Trail Blazers COLLEGE: FloridaHT: 6-10WT: 220POS: PF
Walker finally is starting to play up to his potential at Florida. If he continues to show up, he won't be around when the Blazers pick. If he does fall here, the Blazers get one of the two or three best athletes in the draft. He's a tweener and still developing his offensive game, but the physical tools are off the charts.

PLAYER CARD
29 Delon Wright Memphis Grizzlies COLLEGE: UtahHT: 6-5WT: 178POS: PG
Wright is one of the more NBA-ready prospects in the draft. He can play both the 1 and the 2, is a good defender and has shown much better range on his jump shot this season. The Grizzlies obviously have a stud at point guard in Mike Conley, but Wright could be an excellent back-up to Conley.

PLAYER CARD
30 Justin Jackson Golden State Warriors COLLEGE: North CarolinaHT: 6-8WT: 200POS: SF
Here's exactly what the Warriors need more of: long, versatile wings who can shoot the basketball. If you're going to go in, go all in, I suppose.

PLAYER CARD
Traded picks: 1. The Wolves will send their pick to the Suns if it falls between 13-30; 2. The Kings will send their first round pick to the Bulls if it falls somewhere between 11-30; 3. The Lakers will send their first round pick to the Suns if it falls somewhere between 6-30; 4. The Pelicans will send their pick to the Rockets if it falls somewhere between 4-19; 5. The Hawks have the right to swap first round picks with the Nets; 6. The Grizzlies will send their first round pick to the Cavs if it falls somewhere between 6-14; 7. The Heat will send their first round pick to the Sixers (via the Cavs) if it falls somewhere between 11-30; 8. The Rockets will send their first round pick to the Lakers if it falls somewhere between 15-30; 9. The Clippers will send their first round pick to the Celtics; 10. The Bulls can swap first round picks with the Cavs if the Cavs pick falls between 15-30.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Declan MacManus posted:

NBA strength training can work miracles.

Roy Hibbert went from not being able to do a push-up to looking completely jacked so there's hope for all of us.

• Locked thread