Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

orcane posted:

Didn't that crash the game/servers? If so, they patched it because programming is hard, not because they hate fun (they do hate fun though).
Dunno about the Titan but the Tow trucks hardlocked anyone in the vicinity on the 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I thought that was when two row trucks pulled at opposite ends of the car. But knowing R* stranger things cause the entire session to hard lock. Best on was the flying Vinewood Tours bus

en1125 posted:

Often I found that I was going too fast on jumps and missing the perfect spot by overshooting it. A fully upgraded super is going to be too fast at top speed for a lot of them. Also I found that it didn't always require 4 wheels but it is important to hit at least 1 front and 1 back wheel and get the other 2 down very quickly after.

I used the zentorno, usually at about 3/4 speed. Sultan is also good for a lot of these.

Some of the landing spots are pretty small. Some are very forgiving. I used a YouTube guide to get a good idea of the sweet spot on ones I was having trouble with.

The Sprunk stunt jump by the rooftop rumble garage I get the failed message before I even leave the ramp.

geeves fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 1, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
No, that just broke physics. I guess it crashed games too but the other Tow truck one was for boring trolling. All you did was tow a car and for whatever reason that would crash other players games when you came within rendering distance :shrug:

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
The new passive mode I think is even better than before for loving with people. I've been just cruising the skies in a Maverick heli for the last couple minutes and I have had 2 tanks and 4 dudes shooting rockets at me, and not understanding why they can't hit me. They actually sort of stopped shooting each other just to try and go after me. All I want to do is watch from a nice viewpoint, ya know?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Lyer posted:

Do vehicle mods add that much in terms of performance? The online races are such a clusterfuck, I really don't want to be doing those if it's not absolutely necessary.

Yes, the difference between a stock car off the lot and a fully tuned car is pretty substantial. Different cars tune differently, so it's more for some cars than for others. For example the difference between a stock Sultan and a fully tuned Sultan is pretty impressive because it gets a really steep bonus from engine mods. Even just the spoiler is a really obvious change to handling on most cars.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lyer posted:

Do vehicle mods add that much in terms of performance? The online races are such a clusterfuck, I really don't want to be doing those if it's not absolutely necessary.

Yes they do. Having Turbo and the lowered suspensions in particular are great for just driving around town/in missions let alone races.

Get someone to trade wins with on a short course until you have 50 race wins and unlocked all the win-unlocked parts, and you don't have to worry about them ever again.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes they do. Having Turbo and the lowered suspensions in particular are great for just driving around town/in missions let alone races.

Get someone to trade wins with on a short course until you have 50 race wins and unlocked all the win-unlocked parts, and you don't have to worry about them ever again.

So did they fix the whole thing where turbo makes the car slower, or are you playing on last gen?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Scyron posted:

The new passive mode I think is even better than before for loving with people. I've been just cruising the skies in a Maverick heli for the last couple minutes and I have had 2 tanks and 4 dudes shooting rockets at me, and not understanding why they can't hit me. They actually sort of stopped shooting each other just to try and go after me. All I want to do is watch from a nice viewpoint, ya know?

Okay, buzzing around in a passive mode Buzzard was too effective. It seems it's also able to damage non-passive pedestrian players with physical contact.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lyer posted:

E:and I had that god drat Black Eyed Peas song stuck in my head all day.

It's different from car to car as to how much, but yes, they do. Trading wins for Criminal Records is probably your best bet to bypass the poo poo if you don't want to do it. As a bonus you'll get some good RP out of it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

im pooping! posted:

So did they fix the whole thing where turbo makes the car slower, or are you playing on last gen?

No matter how long they take to fix it, you're still going to want to be able to use it once its fixed. And that's gonna mean having like 35 race wins on your character to have it unlocked for all road vehicle classes.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

im pooping! posted:

No, I don't think they have. There have been no release notes outside of "Fixed Online Issues" for 1.0.2/3/4. And I haven't seen anything in regards to viewing the patches that would show possible updates, like they did for snow and christmas clothing last year or new vehicle and weapon models.

I'm trying to keep the OP / 2nd Post updated as much as possible with regards to R* updates.

Psion posted:

We should really put together something for the OP, because this is a perennial question.

Something like "best for racing," and "pretty good/has a notable feature" so people don't just pick the same cars over and over.

something like this maybe? but for all classes:

I'm thinking something like this would get you an idea of what cars are cool to have as well as which ones are the pro min/max racing best-in-class.

e: also it might be worth having "cars to avoid in this class" if there even are any, like cars that are so bad they aren't worth it at all.

I like this idea. I'd like to put best Goon created Jobs and more car info in the 2nd post.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'll take a crack at the car thing for every class I know about, then everyone can disagree and eventually it'll be ready for the OP. Anyone with Car Opinions - especially about Sports Classic, Sedan, Muscle, Compact, and SUV, please post.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I enjoy using the Dominator in the Muscle class, mostly because it's a great height to use in missions as a portable cover thing as well. But even though people say the Gauntlet is slightly better for "racing" in my experience the Dominator performs equally well.

I use a Stanier for Sedans because it's quite peppy with mods on and seems to handle other people trying to bash you around in races quite well, even though it's not got the highest top speed.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Karin Futo feels like a marble on ice and I swear it was better last-gen :arghfist:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I would trade wins with someone (PS4 - ILL_MITCH) some time... I like racing and I don't feel the need to cheat or whatever but the races are so, like, chaotic that I'm lucky to come in like 5th or 6th because some asshat decided to push me off a cliff. :p

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Croccers posted:

I wonder if the race Stunt Jump glitch still works. Pick an official race that has a stunt jump in it's circuit. Instead of finishing the race just turn around and keep hitting the Stunt Jump. The race where you drop from the elevated road near the IAA/FIB buildings to the street was the quickest one.
I'm permanently stuck on -3 Stunt Jump Remaining.

It does. I was doing that on the same race just the other day. Knocked off 10 or so. Downtown underground is the name of the race. Set it to 1 lap and just turn around once you go over the jump and repeat. You probably won't get it every time but you can still knock them out fairly quickly.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

A c E posted:

It does. I was doing that on the same race just the other day. Knocked off 10 or so. Downtown underground is the name of the race. Set it to 1 lap and just turn around once you go over the jump and repeat. You probably won't get it every time but you can still knock them out fairly quickly.

Thanks, I needed this info!

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
For SUV, not out of speed, but the Declasse Granger is pretty good because it can hold 8 people. As for my compact of choice I have an Issi fully modded out which is pretty cool. I feel like there might be a better compact out of pure performance but I haven't had much issue racing other cars and winning either.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 1, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

A c E posted:

A little confused... what does this glitch accomplish?

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Feenix posted:

A little confused... what does this glitch accomplish?

50 unique stunts for that putrid lime green color.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Croccers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHBVJK_140
Dude was the first one to quit when the job vote popped up.

lol

Video capture is such a great feature, I can't wait to try it. Do you do all that editing in PlayStation as well?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Scyron posted:

50 unique stunts for that putrid lime green color.

No I mean, what is the end result? You can repeatedly do the same stunt jump (in a race) and get multiple credits?

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Also want to say any race run with 'catch up' on is scrub tier.

If you fight your way from the back of the pack, it's not really you, it's ketchup.

If you get in the lead, the governor kicks in and here comes Pitt MacNeuverston, the dick who wiped out on the first corner.

Don't even get me started on slipstream, that is total bullshit.

Edit: I don't want to hear any of this 'yeah, but on some races' poo poo either. No. Ketchup and slipstream are never good and you are bad if you think so.

E2: if you win with ketchup on you're not really winning, you're just losing a little better than the other scrubs

Slush Garbo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 1, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Feenix posted:

No I mean, what is the end result? You can repeatedly do the same stunt jump (in a race) and get multiple credits?

You unlock lime green as a paint color for all vehicles at LSC after completing 25 or 50 stunt jumps or whatever. So by doing this you can do the same jump over and over again instead of having to do each jump once, yeah.

since most of the stunt jumps are pure poo poo, being able to cheat them like this owns. I'm gonna do it tonight :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 1, 2014

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hugh Malone posted:

lol

Video capture is such a great feature, I can't wait to try it. Do you do all that editing in PlayStation as well?

Yep, it's pretty simple. You can edit by 1 second, 5 seconds, 20 seconds+ intervals.

Hugh Malone posted:

Also want to say any race run with 'catch up' on is scrub tier.

If you fight your way from the back of the pack, it's not really you, it's ketchup.

If you get in the lead, the governor kicks in and here comes Pitt MacNeuverston, the dick who wiped out on the first corner.

Don't even get me started on slipstream, that is total bullshit.

Edit: I don't want to hear any of this 'yeah, but on some races' poo poo either. No. Ketchup and slipstream are never good and you are bad if you think so.

E2: if you win with ketchup on you're not really winning, you're just losing a little better than the other scrubs

I try to remember to turn that and catch up off for races I host. Unless it's a GTA race and you want maximum carnage (see Horse Factory) because slipstream is too overpowered. Slipstream would be good if you actually could draft with another player and actually pull away from the pack, but all it does is encourage rear-ending and pitting.

geeves fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 1, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Psion posted:

You unlock lime green as a paint color for all vehicles at LSC after completing 25 or 50 stunt jumps or whatever. So by doing this you can do the same jump over and over again instead of having to do each jump once, yeah.

since most of the stunt jumps are pure poo poo, being able to cheat them like this owns. I'm gonna do it tonight :v:

Ohhhh that's why I got it unlocked despite definitely never completing more than 10 unique jumps

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

geeves posted:

Yep, it's pretty simple. You can edit by 1 second, 5 seconds, 20 seconds+ intervals.

Cool, that's good enough for me. I don't need to do sweet overlays and fades and stuff like Broughy.

geeves posted:

Slipstream would be good if you actually could draft with another player and actually pull away from the pack, but all it does is encourage rear-ending and pitting.

Agreed. It's totally broken, and kills your brakes too. I've only ever seen it work with hardcore F1 style players, they can actually use it to break away by working together.

Usually if its an awesome stunt ramp race, or most types of serious races I play non contact. I just wanted to bitch on my soapbox about ketchup and slipstream for a sec for any new people in this thread who haven't heard it from me before :evilbuddy:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

According to people on the internet this is what I've found out for the best cars to race in once upgraded.

Super: Zentoro
Sports: Elegy RS / Sultan
Sports Classic: Monroe
Coupe: Exemplar
Muscle: Gauntlet / Dominator
Sedan: Schafter
Compact: Blista
SUV: Huntley S
Off-Road: Sanchez
Bike: Bati 801

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Croccers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHBVJK_140
Dude was the first one to quit when the job vote popped up.

This is truly bad driving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsNrPet0SuQ

I got stuck with this french dude on a mission... keep in mind it was TIMED. He is so bad at cars. (and motorcycles.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there a way I can host my own race without others? (you know, select the track, etc?)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

Is there a way I can host my own race without others? (you know, select the track, etc?)

Yeah in the pause menu under the online tab iirc, you can choose the job and start your own lobby then just start without inviting anyone else.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Feenix posted:

This is truly bad driving:

I've made two new characters over two different accounts, and you know you spot a bad driver when they DNF on Mall or Nothing.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Feenix posted:

Bobtista posted:

Yeah in the pause menu under the online tab iirc, you can choose the job and start your own lobby then just start without inviting anyone else.

And if you want to run goon-made races, you can book mark from the social club site http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/leet_like_jeff_k/games/gtav/ps4/jobs

I think you'll have to restart Online (maybe the game) for them to show up in your Bookmarked list.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Zip! posted:

According to people on the internet this is what I've found out for the best cars to race in once upgraded.

Super: Zentoro
Sports: Elegy RS / Sultan
Sports Classic: Monroe
Coupe: Exemplar
Muscle: Gauntlet / Dominator
Sedan: Schafter
Compact: Blista
SUV: Huntley S
Off-Road: Sanchez
Bike: Bati 801

Replace Gauntlet with Blade, Sultan with Massacro, and Bati with Akuma, and you have my racecar list

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

What's the deal with the Monroe? Is it new? Last time I bothered to update my garage, Z-Type was still the Classic go-to car.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Why'd I think the Buzzard was 2.5mil? I just hit level 43 and it's now 1.75??

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

OK - this all looks pretty good. I'm not sure at all about a Sultan for sports racing; I love mine but for racing? Here's what I've got so far. I'm not putting in "other notables" for the sake of length, but those will be in the end result.

Super Cars
Best for racing: Zentorno
Second best for racing: Entity XF

Sports Cars
Best for racing: Massacro
Second best for racing: Elegy RH8

Muscle Cars
Best for racing: Blade
Second best for racing: Gauntlet/Dominator

Sports Classics
Best for racing: Monroe ... maybe?
Second best for racing: Z-Type ... also maybe?

Sedans
I've got Schafter, Stanier, maybe Tailgater? No idea how to order those.

Compacts
Best for racing: Blista
Second best for racing: Issi

Coupes
Best for racing: Exemplar
Second best for racing: F620

SUVs
Serrano, Radius, Huntley S, who knows?

Off-Road
Sanchez, how about a 4-wheel vehicle for comparison's sake - Sandking XL, Bifta, Dune Buggy...?

Motorcycles
Best for racing: Akuma
Second Best: Bati 801 or 801RR

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Feenix posted:

Why'd I think the Buzzard was 2.5mil? I just hit level 43 and it's now 1.75??

It's always been 1.75. Think of it as you just saved 750,000 you can put towards a car. Or half a tank. Or whatever!

ALSO - Stalk whoever sells it on ingame Lifeinvader before you buy, then wait a bit to see if it actually processes. It probably won't work but you're SUPPOSED to get a one-time 10% off discount coupon when you buy from them next. Might save you some money - but definitely expect to pay the full 1.75m.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Psion posted:

It's always been 1.75. Think of it as you just saved 750,000 you can put towards a car. Or half a tank. Or whatever!

ALSO - Stalk whoever sells it on ingame Lifeinvader before you buy, then wait a bit to see if it actually processes. It probably won't work but you're SUPPOSED to get a one-time 10% off discount coupon when you buy from them next. Might save you some money - but definitely expect to pay the full 1.75m.

Ok so I bought it. Where... umm... is it?

[edit] NM. Just got a text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Bifta is an incredibly good off-road vehicle I've found. The problem with Sanchez in an off-road environment is that it's a 2-wheeled vehicle where the player can be hit and knocked off the bike mid-race, which usually causes a huge time loss. A vehicle like the Bifta is small, nimble, lightweight, and has the benefit of being a car so it can endure minor taps and survive long falls (like say off Mt. Chilliad). Before the Turbo mod hosed up on new gen, I would be leaving these Level 500s with their Sanchezes in the dust with it.

• Locked thread