Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I also really like the Bifta, for the reasons you do. I'm thinking Bifta best, Sanchez second best (with the caveat that it's a motorcycle, be careful)

off-road is kind of hard as a category because sometimes you want a Sanchez for some races, sometimes you really, really don't.

Maybe split that into two, like Bifta > Rebel, etc and Sanchez > Blazer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Feenix posted:

Ok so I bought it. Where... umm... is it?

[edit] NM. Just got a text.

Call Pegasus :)

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Zip! posted:

According to people on the internet this is what I've found out for the best cars to race in once upgraded.

Super: Zentoro
Sports: Elegy RS / Sultan
Sports Classic: Monroe
Coupe: Exemplar
Muscle: Gauntlet / Dominator
Sedan: Schafter
Compact: Blista
SUV: Huntley S
Off-Road: Sanchez
Bike: Bati 801

Hugh Malone posted:

Replace Gauntlet with Blade, Sultan with Massacro, and Bati with Akuma, and you have my racecar list

Hugh Malone has it right on in my experience while I would add the Z-Type to Sports Classics.

Super: Zentoro
Sports: Elegy RS / Massacro
Sports Classic: Monroe / Z-Type
Coupe: Exemplar
Muscle: Blade / Dominator
Sedan: Schafter
Compact: Blista
SUV: Huntley S
Off-Road: Sanchez
Bike: Akuma

The Dukes may also be viable in Sports Classics, it seems to perform great but I haven't had a lot of time with it. It definitely seems to turn better than the Blade.

The Bifta for off road is really iffy for me because the wheelbase is so short it makes it squirrely and can easy spin out through no fault of the driver.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Why do you only get one chance to change your appearance after the initial character creation?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Rockstar's talked about implementing plastic surgery in recent months so maybe they'll do that for that "first major content update".

BitBasher posted:

The Bifta for off road is really iffy for me because the wheelbase is so short it makes it squirrely and can easy spin out through no fault of the driver.

It honestly kind of strikes me as the off road equivalent to the Carbonizzare, but I'll admit that it probably isn't the absolute best pick in every off road race. If it's a simpler Blaine County desert style run then a Sanchez would probably work just as well, but in a race with lots of bumps, hills, jumps, and otherwise rocky terrain then I'm going to want the added protection of a Bifta so I don't get flattened for landing a 20 foot drop the wrong way.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Also, yesterday afternoon/evening I was playing with my real life friend Havok1. It came to my attention that when he was a passenger he was trying to murder every car that came near us and that there were apparently 4 or 5 goons in the lobby and we were in a private chat channel. Apologies to everyone he tried to ventilate, I'm pretty sure it was a number of you. I was trying to tell him which ones were friendlies but that wasn't spectacularly successful when it was like five goons nearby with only two non goon victims pubbies getting molested by said goons.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I was debating buying an Akuma as my race bike, so far I've liked the stock ones mainly because it's lighter I guess and turns better than a Bati. I bit the bullet and bought a Bati 801RR but I now figured out it's impossible to get custom paint, I have to use livery.

I don't have enough experience I guess with bike races though, so I'm still wondering if I should sell the Bati and just buy an Akuma.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bati and Akuma is like the age-old Adder and Entity debate. If I remember right, Bati has a better top speed but the Akuma has better acceleration. Either one works but they have their clear advantages against each other.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

im pooping! posted:

I was debating buying an Akuma as my race bike, so far I've liked the stock ones mainly because it's lighter I guess and turns better than a Bati. I bit the bullet and bought a Bati 801RR but I now figured out it's impossible to get custom paint, I have to use livery.

I don't have enough experience I guess with bike races though, so I'm still wondering if I should sell the Bati and just buy an Akuma.

The Akuma has far and away the best acceleration of the bikes if I remember right. It goes like crazy. It also turns really well. Turning really well then getting back up to speed (almost literally) immediately after a turn is a great combination.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Bati and Akuma is like the age-old Adder and Entity debate. If I remember right, Bati has a better top speed but the Akuma has better acceleration. Either one works but they have their clear advantages against each other.

I love the Akuma. The Carbon RS is basically an Akuma you can't paint (may be a bit more useful for stunting). Has anyone used the newer bikes like the Thrust? Or is it just an overpriced disappointment?

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

BitBasher posted:

Hugh Malone has it right on in my experience while I would add the Z-Type to Sports Classics.

Oh yeah, you are correct sir, I should have mentioned it because it has the highest top speed, and that I think of it as the Adder of sports classics.

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I'm sure you and your 37 dollars will prove to be quite the legal sensation
Still no love for the Hakochou? I love mine. I see where it loses a full bar in acceleration to the Akuma but it wins in every other stat.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SisterFister posted:

Still no love for the Hakochou? I love mine. I see where it loses a full bar in acceleration to the Akuma but it wins in every other stat.

I think racing is really heavily weighted towards acceleration being the dominant stat, which is why I think "picking the best car for racing" is leaving a lot of players not picking the most fun stuff to drive when not racing. If you really like driving the thing, tell me why and I'll put it under Notable. I only own an Akuma and used to own an 801 so I don't know anything about it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

SisterFister posted:

The only time I tried driving it, at least for me the turning radius was twice that of the smaller bikes. If it's anything like its real life counterpart it works great when it's going straight, not so much otherwise(I noticed a weight stat on the SSAA website and don't know how it really affects bikes).

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Will have to try out the Massacaro and Bifta then for races.

drat you, cutting out my savings for the Buzzard! (Another 15 levels to go welp...)

Ah well, the extra 10 car garage will come in handy eventually I assume.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

im pooping! posted:

The only time I tried driving it, at least for me the turning radius was twice that of the smaller bikes. If it's anything like its real life counterpart it works great when it's going straight, not so much otherwise(I noticed a weight stat on the SSAA website and don't know how it really affects bikes).

I can agree with this. I bought it but sold it back because the turning sucks rear end on it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Psion posted:

I think racing is really heavily weighted towards acceleration being the dominant stat, which is why I think "picking the best car for racing" is leaving a lot of players not picking the most fun stuff to drive when not racing. If you really like driving the thing, tell me why and I'll put it under Notable. I only own an Akuma and used to own an 801 so I don't know anything about it.

Pretty much yes. Only really long straights or moderate downhill straights will get a car to their top speed. High acceleration will get a car to it's top speed much faster.

Taking corners, even meaningful swerving on a straight will dip you under top speed, so except in some pretty limited circumstances as long as the top speed is close acceleration is a lot more important. The Akuma has buttloads of acceleration. All of the acceleration. It hits it's top speed in a ridiculously short distance. A couple hundred yards if memory serves, and it hits most of it's top speed in something stupid like 75 yards. It's ridiculous.

Other notable cars I would say are:

Karen Sultan, being a monster of a four door sedan when fully tuned with excellent weight balance front to rear and a very evenly divided all wheel drive system with excellent handling. It can peel out all 4 tires. This bastard goes. Best 4 door in the game IMHO with a miniscule insurance replacement cost of 157 bucks. As a note though, it's base model is mediocre because it gets disproportionally high performance boosts from it's engine upgrades when compared to other similar cars. It starts very mediocre and ends great. I can drive this car online and run down supercars when I need to. Everyone should own one if you have access to all the mods. (Sports)

Carbonizarre, for being a slick little rear wheel drive monster with the bonus of being a hard top convertible. It's top speed is fantastic and it's acceleration is great as well. When fully tuned this car is furious and WANTS to go fast. It will also get away from you if you suck at driving and managing a throttle, but it has good traction and balance and a good driver can make it sing. This car will teach you how to be a good driver. It will teach you how to manage throttle on corners and in the rain if you let it. It will teach you how to master a pile of horsepower and keep it in check, a skill that will make you a better driver at pretty much every other car in the game. Also, it sounds awesome. (Also Sports)

EDIT: If you are on PS4 I can pull either of these cars (or any on the race list above) out of my garage fully tuned and let you give them a spin or a ride in the passenger seat. Either find me on or set up a time.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

I really need to mix up my garage, but i dont want to get rid of anything. I need to get a Massacaro i've decided, i also just drove a Jester for the first time last night in SP to do one of those stockcar races with and i liked it a lot.

anyway this is what i currently have. the only order is that's how i remembered them :)

Adder
Entity
Carbonizzare
Ruiner
Dominator
Felon
Sultan
Sanchez
Akuma
Sentinel XS
Roosevelt
Classic Coquette
Huntley S
Sandking
Tailgater
Blista

i'm really regreting getting that place with a six car garage up north :arghfist::(

otoh, it is nice getting the gently caress away from downtown sometimes

f/e: prolly gonna lose my Sentinel which sucks cause i've loved them since gta:3

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Also to help any new players prioritize, what classes of race do you see frequently / sometimes / never?

like I always see super and sports races, I don't think I've ever raced in an SUV, and everything else infrequently. Is that typical?

BitBasher posted:

Other notable cars I would say are:

Agreed on both - I'll put your comments in there.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

poopzilla posted:

i'm really regreting getting that place with a six car garage up north :arghfist::(

otoh, it is nice getting the gently caress away from downtown sometimes

You can Buy a 10 car garage and replace the 6, then put 4 cars you absolutely will never sell in spots 7,8,9 and 10, the bottom 4 cars when on the organize cars list. Then go re-buy the 6 car property and you will still have those 4 cars on the mechanic call list even though they are no longer visible in your garage. You can still use all 20. That will cost some one time cash though, on the money you lose on the property sales.

Psion posted:

Agreed on both - I'll put your comments in there.

Feel free to edit as needed, I'm wordy about cars and driving in this game.

Psion posted:

Also to help any new players prioritize, what classes of race do you see frequently / sometimes / never?

like I always see super and sports races, I don't think I've ever raced in an SUV, and everything else infrequently. Is that typical?

In order or Rarity races that I see, from most used to least used:

(Most used)
Super
Sports
Offroad
Muscle
Sports Classic
Motorcycles
Coupes
Compacts
Sedans
SUV
(Least Used)

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 2, 2014

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Has anyone had luck customizing a plate for gtao? I tried making a plate with ifruit but it doesnt save or anything. Also, are they visible to other players? I've got a great idea for a plate (it's DIKBUT)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I customized a plate with ifruit and it showed up like two weeks later. It's really stupid how bad that system is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Make sure it's a plate you like too. You only get one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Add another LLJK Goon to the friendly skies in a Buzzard!

Also, I was a bit underwhelmed flying it with how wobbly it was and the it dawned on me I probably need to up my flying level.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
No joke I must have had 0 flying when I made my new character I have spent close to 4 hours in the air and only have 20's%. I have done a fair bit of air races and I have tried the trick where you take off and land(?) to try and boost it but it ain't going too fast.

i'll be getting on for a bit here. I want to try and get like 3 car sales and maybe run some missions or races.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Psion posted:

The Akuma is at its best when the course you're on features a lot of right angle, point and shoot corners. The 801RR will eat the Akuma's lunch on sweeping turns, you'll never have to lift.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

BitBasher posted:

You can Buy a 10 car garage and replace the 6, then put 4 cars you absolutely will never sell in spots 7,8,9 and 10, the bottom 4 cars when on the organize cars list. Then go re-buy the 6 car property and you will still have those 4 cars on the mechanic call list even though they are no longer visible in your garage. You can still use all 20. That will cost some one time cash though, on the money you lose on the property sales.

:aaaaa: Wow, I had no idea about that. Thanks!

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes they do. Having Turbo and the lowered suspensions in particular are great for just driving around town/in missions let alone races.

Get someone to trade wins with on a short course until you have 50 race wins and unlocked all the win-unlocked parts, and you don't have to worry about them ever again.

Ugh, I'm done trying to win these things legit. All that keeps happening is dudes with faster cars ram into me and by that point I just don't have any chance of winning.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Actually the best cars of each category is whichever has the most crazy options for modding. I hope they add proper custom paintjobs sometime after heists, but that is probably not feasible. (And they will gently caress it up somehow and only make it available for the lawnmower or some poo poo.)

Snaggletooth
Mar 15, 2002
Chasing a fellow LLJK crew member driving a Zentoro in my fully upgraded Entity, they were constantly pulling away. The Zentoro is more squirrely though. What an ugly car... I've switched irregardlessly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Policenaut posted:

What's the deal with the Monroe? Is it new? Last time I bothered to update my garage, Z-Type was still the Classic go-to car.

Nah the Monroe's been in from the start. I have no clue why people have said Z-Type was the best in class, it's only really good at being among the most expensive cars in the game and handles like trash.

Psion posted:

Yeah a ton of races are set by default to sports or super and people don't bother changing it. When I was starting out, I liked to set the class of races I hosted to SUV or Sedan since so many people not only didn't have a custom vehicle in them, but also never practiced with those classes. Got me a good deal of easy wins to get parts.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 2, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think this is pretty close to done. Final thoughts, cars to add to the notable list, bad opinions?

"What's the best car for racing?" Well, here's what the thread thinks. Best and second best options.
  • Super - Zentorno | Entity XF
  • Sports - Massacro | Elegy RH8
  • Muscle - Blade | Gauntlet/Dominator
  • Sports Classics - Monroe | Z-Type
  • Sedans - Schafter | Stainer
  • Compacts - Blista | Issi
  • Coupes - Exemplar | F620
  • SUVs - Huntley S | Don't race SUVs. Don't even buy one. No, really.
  • Off-Road - Motorcycle: Sanchez | 4-Wheel Option: Bifta -- Both have serious pros and cons; this depends a lot on the race and your personal style.
  • Motorcycles - Akuma | Bati 801/801RR

Super races are the most common, followed by sports. Offroad, Muscle, Sports Classics and Motorcycles happen occasionally. Coupes, Compacts, and Sedans are rare. SUVs are the rarest by a factor of about a billion. Prioritize your purchasing.

Other Notable Cars - you might want some of these if you aren't racing 24/7.
  • Adder: highest top speed in the game. (Super)
  • Voltic: lowish top speed for the class, but incredible acceleration. (Super)
  • Sultan: Mediocre when unmodded, amazing when fully modded up. Four doors, near-perfect balance and AWD, excellent handling. Best 4 door in the game with the bonus of incredibly cheap insurance. Everyone should own one. (Sports)
  • Carbonizzare: Hardtop convertible. Not convinced? Ridiculous top speed and acceleration; it wants to go fast. This car will teach you how to be a good driver - it'll get away from you if you let it, otherwise you'll have a car which can take supers at a fraction of the price. The skills you learn here will make you better with every other car. Bonus: sounds awesome. (Sports)
  • Phoenix: You can put a Plymouth Superbird wing on this. Enough said. (Muscle)
  • Sabre Turbo: Sounds great, looks good, lots of mod options. (Muscle)
  • Felon GT: sells for $9500 at LSC, if you can find one (Coupes)
  • Baller: sells for $9000 at LSC, is the most common vehicle worth selling. Good acceleration. For some reason there are two distinct Baller models in-game. (SUV)
  • Granger: Can hold 8 people - 4 inside and 4 on the running boards outside. The 4 outside players will probably die the first time you crash into something, so make sure you don't like them. On the upside they can shoot guns one-handed so it looks really, really cool until they die. (SUV)
  • Sandking XL: paint it hot pink and run people over in a huge truck. What's not to like? When you hit rank 100, consider upgrading to a Dubsta 6x6. (Off-Road)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Snaggletooth posted:

Chasing a fellow LLJK crew member driving a Zentoro in my fully upgraded Entity, they were constantly pulling away. The Zentoro is more squirrely though. What an ugly car... I've switched irregardlessly.

agreed, but I made mine look sort of like the Tumbler from Batman so it's alright I guess: http://rsg.ms/3e095d4

most supers are ugly, to be honest.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
ay turdferguson and pretty gloomy :whatup: what about that survival

en1125
Jul 3, 2006
I have a very specific goal...and that is to have no goals.

Scyron posted:

No joke I must have had 0 flying when I made my new character I have spent close to 4 hours in the air and only have 20's%. I have done a fair bit of air races and I have tried the trick where you take off and land(?) to try and boost it but it ain't going too fast.

i'll be getting on for a bit here. I want to try and get like 3 car sales and maybe run some missions or races.

Doing the flight school stuff will lvl your flying skill much faster than just flying around. Same goes for shooting range to lvl up shooting.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe
Alright, I've decided: explosive football is my new favorite sport and by far the best Capture mission.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

Alright, I've decided: explosive football is my new favorite sport and by far the best Capture mission.

Ahaha thank you. Sorry I disappeared, I hard froze coming out of that last one.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I really really want them to bring back poker for online. It's pretty much all I did in RDR, so they already have the basic architecture and a huge casino.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The casino in LS has actually been updated a few times over the past year, like they made a rudimentary interior that you can glitch into and I think there's some code here or there that suggests that the casino may be operational some day. That'd be pretty incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Heists.

The winter holiday patch has just about gone gold but, heists. Please.

• Locked thread