Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

So apparently the ink congealing in my TWSBI 580 was entirely because there was a crack in the collar (somehow, I don't know, maybe the liquid was evaporating?) and ever since I replaced the piece (and the barrel because TWSBI guy sent me a free barrel too) it's been working perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
My mum wants a pen to do small italics (like to write a letter) in for christmas, would a 1.5 mm parallel and good Rhodia / Clairefontaine paper be the best for this? She's not a fan of dip nibs but if there's a better fountain pen I'll get that instead.

Also, can I put old man winter in my parallel? I'm not sure how it works but I don't want to waste ink testing it, old man winter is a very wet ink from what I can tell.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I have both 1.1 and 1.5 lamy nibs and while the 1.5 "shows" the width variation a bit more, it's is a tad wide for my "automatic" everyday handwriting, I have to focus on making the letters a bit bigger or it ends up cramped.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
Heads up, Amazon has certain models of the vanishing point (Most medium-nibbed ones, from what I've seen) for $85-90.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Nib creep status: Still Annoying

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Yeah, there's not nearly enough of it.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Clearly, the solution is to get a pilot metro:

this is after me being clumsy as gently caress and knocking off desk.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

:toot:
The solution is to not worry about it. Especially not if it's a tiny bit of ink on the slit. Alternatively, get a safari with a black nib. Or something with a hooded nib.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
So I got in on a Lamy 2000 for half off Massdrop thing several weeks to a month ago and it has had some crazy poo poo happen to the point it is like a Kickstarter project. Lamy apparently sent all 234 pens to a random person in Iowa instead of the Massdrop distribution place, and now we're waiting on a reshipment. Although they're now including a bottle of Lamy black ink, so that's good. Still, that means someone in Iowa received about $40k in pens. Maybe it was another customer but I really hope it was just a random person that's super confused now.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Brightman posted:

So I got in on a Lamy 2000 for half off Massdrop thing several weeks to a month ago and it has had some crazy poo poo happen to the point it is like a Kickstarter project. Lamy apparently sent all 234 pens to a random person in Iowa instead of the Massdrop distribution place, and now we're waiting on a reshipment. Although they're now including a bottle of Lamy black ink, so that's good. Still, that means someone in Iowa received about $40k in pens. Maybe it was another customer but I really hope it was just a random person that's super confused now.

Any idea where in Iowa? That's where I live, and I need to make a new friend from the sounds of things.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

what would you even DO with two hundred and thirty-four Lamy 2000s

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Ebay. If you got 'em for free, that's 100% profit on each one even if you sell them at half price. Lucky bastard.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Deviantfish posted:

Heads up, Amazon has certain models of the vanishing point (Most medium-nibbed ones, from what I've seen) for $85-90.

poo poo, I wish I'd seen this yesterday, they're back up to $125-$130 today :(.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

NeurosisHead posted:

Any idea where in Iowa? That's where I live, and I need to make a new friend from the sounds of things.

No, Massdrop wasn't giving out that info in the update, although they might not have known either.

cobalt impurity posted:

Ebay. If you got 'em for free, that's 100% profit on each one even if you sell them at half price. Lucky bastard.

That's if they know what they are, someone that has no idea might do anything with them. Sell them for 5 bucks at a farmer's market, toss the lot since they have no ink, donate them, etc. Anyone that knows may either try to send it back out or yeah, eBay like crazy.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
3 weeks ago I hadn't used a FP since junior school. Now I have a Metro, converter, 2 inks, and a Safari M + broad nib on its way with Diamine Sargasso Sea and Damson inks. Not written this much for years!

And I can't decide if sbrebrown is a genius or lunatic...

UK goons: Pure Pens has 10% off with coupon code 'Twitter' until midnight GMT today.

Slimchandi fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 30, 2014

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Not really a fountain pen question, but I use pentel energel deluxes and was wondering if anyone makes a pen/refill system that uses similar gel ink with a fine to super-fine tip? Feels kind of wasteful the way I go through these pens.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

What is the best ink for writing on envelopes or anything that will have to stand up to weather? I've never really gone into bulletproof inks, but is there any particular brand you'd recommend?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dudeabides posted:

What is the best ink for writing on envelopes or anything that will have to stand up to weather? I've never really gone into bulletproof inks, but is there any particular brand you'd recommend?

Noodler's is basically *the* brand for bulletproof inks. Heart of Darkness gets a lot of love in this thread, as does Noodler's Black. But there are a bunch of other brands that make waterproof inks, like the De Atramentis Document series.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 1, 2014

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Dudeabides posted:

I've had success using the Organics Studio pigmented inks, namely Gregor Mendel, at the recommendation of this thread.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

door Door door posted:

Not really a fountain pen question, but I use pentel energel deluxes and was wondering if anyone makes a pen/refill system that uses similar gel ink with a fine to super-fine tip? Feels kind of wasteful the way I go through these pens.

For gel inks and superfine tips, the king is Uniball with its Signo: http://www.jetpens.com/Uni-ball-Signo-UM-151-Gel-Pens-0.28-mm/ct/285
(the link is for 0.28 mm, but they do make a 0.18 mm that will punch through most lovely paper)

The ink STILL runs out super fast so it probably won't help you, but still. Your only other real alternative is to write with drawing pens such as the Copic Multiliner SP, which goes down to some ridiculous nib widths - 0.03 is available but god help you if you actually try to write with it.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 1, 2014

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

Dudeabides posted:

I've used Noodler's Black and it's worked without problems. That said, if you can, test your ink on the envelopes you're planning to use first. A lot of envelopes are made with lower-quality paper (even the ones that come with nicer-quality paper, drat you Muji), so the ink can feather a lot if you're not careful. It's not so bad as long as you write large enough to offset the feathering or go with an extra-fine nib, but it might not be the effect you're going for.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dudeabides posted:

I love Noodlers polar blue. It's waterproof and weatherproof ... Specifically it Will not freeze in cold temperatures. It dries to an interesting flat blue color, pretty good with feathering. It hasn't stained my pen but it will stain fingers.

I use it and Dark Matter in my daily writers .

Dark Matter is a replica of Government issued ink used in the 1940s. It has mild waterproofing, which gets better the longer it sits on the paper. It's a nice dark grey black.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

You guys in this thread got me into FPs and I got a pilot metro with a bottle of noodler. Unfortunately my college classrooms have tiny desks and I have dropped my pen several times, it now leaks from the nib. What do I do?

Part of me wants to get a new FP. The metro always felt a little uncomfortable because I hold it right where the body turns into the tip, and I like the idea of a FP with a softer body, too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blue squares posted:

You guys in this thread got me into FPs and I got a pilot metro with a bottle of noodler. Unfortunately my college classrooms have tiny desks and I have dropped my pen several times, it now leaks from the nib. What do I do?

Part of me wants to get a new FP. The metro always felt a little uncomfortable because I hold it right where the body turns into the tip, and I like the idea of a FP with a softer body, too.

Dropping might have just caused ink to flow out to the nib sharply, have you tried emptying and rinsing before re-inking?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Dropping might have just caused ink to flow out to the nib sharply, have you tried emptying and rinsing before re-inking?

Nope, I will do so! In fact I have forgotten to rinse despite filling it maybe 10 times since the last rinse.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blue squares posted:

Nope, I will do so! In fact I have forgotten to rinse despite filling it maybe 10 times since the last rinse.

Good luck! You may want to look at a Lamy Safari, they're not round so they don't roll easily.

Definitely give it a good rinse and flush with water. All that dropping may have shaken a lot of ink into the feed and nib.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I rinsed it out until all the water was clear then wrote on a paper towel until it was dry. Dried everything else out. Still leaks when I shake it and when I write it gets all over my fingers. I think I busted it.

When you press gently on the metal part (of the nib), is it supposed to separate from the plastic black part easily? Mine is pretty bendy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Have you got a picture?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

grack posted:

Have you got a picture?

Do they all leak if you shake them? Mine does, and so a lot ends up in the cap. Then when I put the cap on the end of my pen, it ends up on the end. Then all over my hands.

Plus it's just never been that comfortable for me. The Lamy Safari looks a lot more ergonomic.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 2, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Push the feed (the black plastic part) and the nib back in to the pen with your fingers.

From your pictures it looks very much like they've been knocked out a little, which would account for the leaks and your ability to pull the nib so far up.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

That feed looks much too far from the nib. You shouldn't be able to see a visible gap like that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

grack posted:

Push the feed (the black plastic part) and the nib back in to the pen with your fingers.

From your pictures it looks very much like they've been knocked out a little, which would account for the leaks and your ability to pull the nib so far up.

Wow. Thank you, grack. It clicked several mm back into there. The shaking leak problem still exists though.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
So it's the first day of Hobonichi 2015. AWWWWW YISSSS.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blue squares posted:

Wow. Thank you, grack. It clicked several mm back into there. The shaking leak problem still exists though.

It may have something to do with the ink you're using, or there's a messed up seal somewhere in the feed system because you're right, you should not be spraying ink all over the place. If you feel up to it you can try placing a small amount of silicon grease in the collar (where the nib and feed seat in to the pen) and see if that helps.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Your pen shouldn't leak all over but how vigorous a shake are you talking about here? I waved at a fly once with a pen in my hand and splattered ink across three walls in my office so if you're jostling it a bunch maybe stop doing that.

I had a pen I thought had a leak, turns out it just was a really wet writer and didn't travel well. Once I quit carrying it and only used it at my desk never had another issue.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is there a current production pen that writes similar to an esterbrook 9550 (posting nib)? I like the super-fine line it makes while also being smooth and relatively dry. The closest I've tried are pilot pens, but they seem a bit wider and lay down a lot more ink in my experience. I'd use the esterbrook more, but I think the pen body is too short and lever filling is kind of a hassle.

I also need a Esterbrook replacement, sort of. I have a 9128 (flex!) in an M2 and the ink capacity is terrible. It'd be nice to put the nib into something more modern.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

I'm using two this year for different things. Sadly the Avec (half a year, two books) version has no December pages, so only the normal one can be used right now.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

Mine still hasn't come! I ordered the Onett cover, so I didn't expect it yet, but I still hate you...

I just hope it comes by Christmas, because I ordered some gifts simultaneously. :ohdearsass:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

milpreve posted:

Mine still hasn't come! I ordered the Onett cover, so I didn't expect it yet, but I still hate you...

I just hope it comes by Christmas, because I ordered some gifts simultaneously. :ohdearsass:

I really, really wanted a Hobonichi cover more than the actual planner but not sure if it's worth the high price tag. Perhaps, would you review it when it arrives? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've been using Noodler's Borealis Black as my "daily" ink. I like that it dries very quickly, doesn't feather much on cheap paper, and flows well from my Metro. I'm thinking of asking for/getting a TWSBI 580 Diamond* for Christmas, and I'd like to pick up a second ink. How good is Noodler's 54th Massachusetts?

*I've been saying that I'll get one since August... Actually, I'm glad I waited, I really like the new red bodies.