Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Bruce Boudreau admitted in an interview aired during tonight's Ducks game that he didn't know who Corey Perry was before becoming head coach. I don't blame him for being confused, I'm mostly surprised the opening exchange didn't go like this:

Perry: How are you, Coach?
Boudreau: Thanks, Fuckass.
Perry: Pardon?
Boudreau: That's your name, right? It's the only phrase I've heard my players use to refer to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Aphrodite posted:

That's Easter.

Stop trying to take the Christ out of Christmas. :colbert:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Dammit Bruins, the one time I'm actually willing to cheer for you and you lose are losing to the Ducks.

:argh:

grack fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 2, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The game is still on.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Giving up 2 shorthanded goals in a minute to the coyotes is a new one

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Coyotes fans travel pretty well!

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

hifi posted:

Coyotes fans travel pretty well!
That's a lot of empty seats

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

darkwolf220 posted:

Was it the same penalty? Also, has anyone ever gotten a hat trick that is all SHGs? Just sayin, there is still time.

Fleury had 3 SHG in a game vs St Louis once. Only 2 were on the same penalty though.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
apparently the league record for consecutive losses is 17? Oilers are more than halfway there with 10, and the schedule is not kind to them in the upcoming weeks.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Discussion question: what's the longest stretch of time a team has been completely terrible?

By that I don't mean 'longest stretch out of the playoffs'; the Panthers are the record-holders there, but there was one season in the middle where they tied the Habs for 8th in points but lost out on wins. While disappointing, that season wasn't futile. I mean the longest stretch that a team was out of the playoff discussion by New Year's.

Because I think the Oilers might be close.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Starsfan posted:

apparently the league record for consecutive losses is 17? Oilers are more than halfway there with 10, and the schedule is not kind to them in the upcoming weeks.
The Oilers are the only team with four 10+ game losing streaks since the 2004 lockout.

Feb 25 - Mar 21, 2007 - 12 games; 0-11-1
Dec 31 - Jan 30, 2010 - 13 games; 0-11-2 (they lost every single game in January)
Mar 8 - Mar 31, 2014 - 11 games; 0-8-3
Nov 11 - Dec 1, 2014 - 10 games; 0-7-3

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The record for SHGs on one penalty is 3, and it wasn't a hat trick.

In a game total it's 4, no hat trick there either.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Albino Squirrel posted:

Discussion question: what's the longest stretch of time a team has been completely terrible?

By that I don't mean 'longest stretch out of the playoffs'; the Panthers are the record-holders there, but there was one season in the middle where they tied the Habs for 8th in points but lost out on wins. While disappointing, that season wasn't futile. I mean the longest stretch that a team was out of the playoff discussion by New Year's.

The Scouts/Rockies/Devils were absolutely putrid for almost the entirety of their existence until they made the playoffs in 87-88. The one year they actually made the playoffs in that span, in 77-78, they finished in the 2nd in the Smythe Division.

Sounds good, right?

The Smythe was so putrid that year that they finished second with a record 21 games under .500. They Flyers beat them in two games.

So yeah, next time you complain about your division sucking, remember that there was a time when a team that went 19-40-21 technically made the playoffs.

Pat Clements fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 2, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I heard in the locker room preparing for my beer league game that the Jackets won tonight. Not only that, I was amazed that it recorded too when I got home. I'm going to watch this game even though I know the outcome because I can't wait to see what it looks like for the Jackets to win a game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MaoistBanker posted:

Bruce Boudreau admitted in an interview aired during tonight's Ducks game that he didn't know who Corey Perry was before becoming head coach. I don't blame him for being confused, I'm mostly surprised the opening exchange didn't go like this:

Perry: How are you, Coach?
Boudreau: Thanks, Fuckass.
Perry: Pardon?
Boudreau: That's your name, right? It's the only phrase I've heard my players use to refer to you.

He knew who Corey Perry is, he just didn't recognize his face.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Albino Squirrel posted:

I know Chicago and St.Louis both had a decent stretch where they were massive piles of poo poo (about a decade). Up until this year the Thrashers/Jets have been pretty terrible and on a streak about as long as the Oilers.

Im sure fans of other teams have better ideas of their dark times, those are just the ones Im familiar with.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Like, boy, more of you should really appreciate the playoff format we have now.

For most of the '80s 16 of the 21 teams made the playoffs, which makes it even funnier that the Penguins basically didn't make the playoffs all decade.

e: The Blackhawks were only bad for an extended period of time from '98 until the cancelled season.

The Blues were never awful for an extended period. They made the playoffs every single year between '79 and '04.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

if NBC has that kind of boner for Marty, maybe they'll put the game on a sister network

oh bravo :golfclap:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
"What was the war like, Grandpa?"

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Oilers tanked in the wrong years. 08 & 09 had Stamkos and Tavares, 2013 had Mackinnon and 2014 had Ekblad, who's gonna be a fuckin studddd

Hall is gonna be an all-star, not sure about the other 2

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
gently caress you Oilers

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Pat Clements posted:

The Scouts/Rockies/Devils were absolutely putrid for almost the entirety of their existence until they made the playoffs in 87-88. The one year they actually made the playoffs in that span, in 77-78, they finished in the 2nd in the Smythe Division.

Sounds good, right?

The Smythe was so putrid that year that they finished second with a record 21 games under .500. They Flyers beat them in two games.

So yeah, next time you complain about your division sucking, remember that there was a time when a team that went 19-40-21 technically made the playoffs.

I swear these player names from the 77-78 Rockies are made up. The leading scorer was Wilf Paiement?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I love the sports analysts letting everyone know if they were GM of the Oilers they would make sure to not make a "panic move." The team is on a 10-game losing streak, literally has not improved in like 6 years, but yeah don't make any moves, they might improve with the current roster.

Awful centre depth is a bad reason to waste a year of Draisaitl's ELC

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Oilers tanked in the wrong years. 08 & 09 had Stamkos and Tavares, 2013 had Mackinnon and 2014 had Ekblad, who's gonna be a fuckin studddd

Hall is gonna be an all-star, not sure about the other 2
Hall already is an all-star, and as a prospect was the MVP on consecutive Memorial Cup champs in the 2 years before his draft. Plus the #1b pick in that draft was Seguin. Yakupov had OHL numbers that would put him about even with Stamkos or MacKinnon, was the surefire #1 pick forever. RNH wasn't considered an especially strong #1 nor the 2011 a strong draft but it wasn't 96 either, and he looked extremely promising in his rookie year.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

quote:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 11m11 minutes ago
Andrew Ference with some strong criticism of the dressing room. Didn’t name names but called it “a joke” some of what’s happening in there.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 10m10 minutes ago
Ference was referring to certain players having to be convinced to be happy to be in NHL and not moping around feeling sorry for themselves.

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 9m9 minutes ago
Says its been addressed countless times in room. Eakins admitted it’s an issue but wouldn’t elaborate at all. Says it’s an internal issue

It looks like the knives might be starting to come out in Edmonton.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Boo hoo, I'm making 6 or 7 figures on a losing team. Life sucks, I want to quit, my dad said it wouldn't make me less of a man. I knew I should have joined the Bills instead.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

Albino Squirrel posted:

Barring the completely ridiculous miracle '82 run, the Canucks were trash from their inception until the 91-92 season.

Oilers still have a ways to go yet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

N: Snider mad

V: flyers bad

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

DJExile posted:

N: Snider mad

V: flyers bad

Has a team ever benefited from having an owner so active in player/personal decisions? I mean, isn't it pretty much widely known that Snider was the one who forced the Bryz contract, for example? Also, all the fuckery that Jerry Jones does with the Cowboys etc...seems like a recipe for disaster in any sport.

E: I can see how it would be extremely hard for billionaire owners to NOT have a say in their little toy franchises, but I mean they also probably want to win sooo...

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Speaking of the Jackets, they're saying "Look, we're not gonna deploy the parachute and declare ourselves McDavid Bowl contenders, buuuuuuuuuuuuut...."

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2014/12/owner-on-board.html

I am completely fine with this, to be honest.

I don't think there's any one thing that can be done to fix this season so there's no point in making any major moves. I'm confident in this team when healthy and I'd rather them keep as much of it in tact as possible.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Methot is apparently good to go tonight, but can't play unless there's a roster move. Watch them put Ceci in the AHL

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

The Dirty Burger posted:

Methot is apparently good to go tonight, but can't play unless there's a roster move. Watch them put Ceci in the AHL

Just waive Colin Greening. He is terrible.

Or Michalek, or Neil, or Smith, or Phillips, or...

revtoiletduck fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 2, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Evander Kane is good, and cool too.

quote:

Power97: Evander Kane's latest Instragram picture:
In Vegas, doing push-ups with piles of money on his back...
Thoughts? - T&V http://t.co/zU4LDt0ceu

This is shortly after he did a tweet celebrating the three-year anniversary of the money-phone picture.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Evander Kane is good, and cool too.

This is shortly after he did a tweet celebrating the three-year anniversary of the money-phone picture.

The Winnipeg media is going to have another aneurysm and its going to be glorious. The Jets fans seem to have moved on and love the guy so it will be hilarious watching them try to spin that whole "lost the fans" thing a second time.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Lecavalier is a healthy scratch tonight apparently.

$4.5M/yr until 2018.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Adam Oates went on Wyshynski's podcast yesterday and was talking about the "dangers of puck possession". His argument was that it was dangerous to possess the puck so much because you take more hits and therefore get more injuries.

So that's why he had Jay Beagle centering the first line!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I really love the idea of Evander Kane going to the bank and withdrawing a shitload of cash just to troll his own team's media on Instagram.

Mind_Taker posted:

Adam Oates went on Wyshynski's podcast yesterday and was talking about the "dangers of puck possession". His argument was that it was dangerous to possess the puck so much because you take more hits and therefore get more injuries.

So that's why he had Jay Beagle centering the first line!

Holy poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well he's not wrong, if you have the puck, someone is going to hit you.

Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have realized that "puck possession" refers to the team, not the individual. If your dudes are getting crushed constantly then maybe they should loving pass the puck once in a while. Tire out the other team chasing you around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Mind_Taker posted:

Lecavalier is a healthy scratch tonight apparently.

$4.5M/yr until 2018.

Thank god

• Locked thread