Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Death Skid Marks is out and it seems to fit with FTL in terms of roguelike/roguelite/whateverness, although it is more actiony in the combat it does have the randomised permadeath brutal difficulty etc. So here is a mini write up.

You are driving 666m to get to a concert and you fight cars along the way.(The enemies shown in the splash screen are the ones in the cars and give you advance warning of what weapons you'll face or if they are in a special car.) Each car is split into 4 quadrants if one gets destroyed the car blows up. An easy way to do this is to grind the cars against the guard rails at the side of the screen (or push them off the top or bottom). You can also kill the passengers and the car will crash.

After each segment of road you get a choice between 2 segments to follow on with, special signs denote things like shops, robots or rush hours etc. It is generally better to pick the segment that takes you less distance as the closer you get to 0km the harder it is.

Shops are where you can sort out picking up new passengers, getting jobs, buying weapons/drugs/car upgrades/one use items/concert tickets. The only way to acquire money is by getting jobs, the more crew the more jobs you can have at once. The jobs are things like 'destroy cars with melee without killing the passengers' harder ones are worth more and can be swapped out at every shop.

Passengers hold weapons and items, everyone but the driver can use a weapon and to win everyone needs a concert ticket. Each passenger has different benefits, the gimp can take melee but is weak to ranged damage whilst the terminal patient is bad at everything.

To upgrade passenger stats you can buy drugs at the shops, drop off a guy for experimental medical treatment or win at russian roulette, to upgrade the car you can buy upgrades at the shops.

Overall the game is pretty fun but also brutally hard as you're balancing killing in a certain way for money with the damage you'll receive from maybe drawing each encounter out. You'll need to upgrade your passengers so again you have to risk being without a crew member due to russian roulette/medical experiments or earn lots and pay for shitloads of drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

madjackmcmad posted:

That's quite a promise!
I know, right? Been playing since this thread cropped up in 2010, probably sunk 1200+ hours into CoQ. I'd do a toxx clause but I doubt I'd buy all 10 copies at once due to finances, so.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Desideratus posted:

I know, right? Been playing since this thread cropped up in 2010, probably sunk 1200+ hours into CoQ. I'd do a toxx clause but I doubt I'd buy all 10 copies at once due to finances, so.

It's pretty crazy/awesome how much Caves of Qud has been played. I really wish I had been smart enough to put game metrics collection into it. 16,531,350 snapjaws killed would be fun to see on a website somewhere :D

Maybe for the steam version!

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Is there a tiles version of CoQ and if not is it planned for the eventual Steam release?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wezlar posted:

Is there a tiles version of CoQ and if not is it planned for the eventual Steam release?

There's no tiles version at the moment. It'd obviously be awesome to have it for the Steam version, but it's a gigantic build.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Death Skid Marks looks hilarious and awesome.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Hey Unormal, I've been meaning to get into CoQ for a while, but it's pretty intimidating. Is there a wiki or forum still up somewhere for it? I could use a newbie guide.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

RickVoid posted:

Hey Unormal, I've been meaning to get into CoQ for a while, but it's pretty intimidating. Is there a wiki or forum still up somewhere for it? I could use a newbie guide.

Yeah, there's our forums: http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/forumdisplay.php?7-CoQ-General

The archived SA thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3374214&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The Bay 12 thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=016cc61a2cb02fd7509e2721dc0210bf&topic=73201.0

4chan guide: http://pastebin.com/0ExECmUn

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

And bookmarked. Thanks!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:frogsiren: IT RETURNS :frogsiren:

Source code now available on Github. All player configs/scores/mortems/etc from the earlier test server are intact.

If you run into any bugs, or have suggestions for improvements to the UI/feature set/whatever, please file a bug report.

pre:
$ telnet phobos.ancilla.ca 3666
Trying 76.10.176.200...
Connected to phobos.ancilla.ca.
Escape character is '^]'.

=================     ===============     ===============   ========  ========
\\ . . . . . . .\\   //. . . . . . .\\   //. . . . . . .\\  \\. . .\\// . . //
||. . ._____. . .|| ||. . ._____. . .|| ||. . ._____. . .|| || . . .\/ . . .||
|| . .||   ||. . || || . .||   ||. . || || . .||   ||. . || ||. . . . . . . ||
||. . ||   || . .|| ||. . ||   || . .|| ||. . ||   || . .|| || . | . . . . .||
|| . .||   ||. _-|| ||-_ .||   ||. . || || . .||   ||. _-|| ||-_.|\ . . . . ||
||. . ||   ||-'  || ||  `-||   || . .|| ||. . ||   ||-'  || ||  `|\_ . .|. .||
|| . _||   ||    || ||    ||   ||_ . || || . _||   ||    || ||   |\ `-_/| . ||
||_-' ||  .|/    || ||    \|.  || `-_|| ||_-' ||  .|/    || ||   | \  / |-_.||
||    ||_-'      || ||      `-_||    || ||    ||_-'      || ||   | \  / |  `||
||    `'         || ||         `'    || ||    `'         || ||   | \  / |   ||
||            .===' `===.         .==='.`===.         .===' /==. |  \/  |   ||
||         .=='   \_|-_ `===. .==='   _|_   `===. .===' _-|/   `==  \/  |   ||
||      .=='    _-'    `-_  `='    _-'   `-_    `='  _-'   `-_  /|  \/  |   ||
||   .=='    _-'          `-__\._-'         `-_./__-'         `' |. /|  |   ||
||.=='    _-'                                                     `' |  /==.||
=='    _-'               DoomRL by Kornel Kisielewicz                 \/   `==
\   _-'                   DoomRL Server by Ben Kelly                   `-_   /
 `''                                                                      ``'

Type 'help' for a list of commands.

guest>
Features:
  • Play DoomRL from the comfort of your terminal
  • Multiple save file support
  • Config file editing
  • Shared high score list with postmortems
  • Watch games in progress or saved recordings
  • BETA SOFTWARE, may explode horribly at any time. I'll try not to wipe your saves :)

Quickstart Guide:
Connect to phobos.ancilla.ca:3666 using the telnet client of your choice. Linux/OSX users probably have it installed already. Windows users will probably need PuTTY. Make sure your terminal is at least 80x25 or you'll get a warning when you connect (and DoomRL won't render properly).

Register a new account with register <username> <password>.

Optionally, use config user, config controls, and config colours to edit your DoomRL configuration.

Type play <name> to start a new game. The save file will be stored under the given name, so you can have multiple games on the go.

You can type help at any time for built-in help.

(If you just want to watch me die a lot, there's no need to register, just connect and type watch ToxicFrog)

Importing your player info

I've hacked together a script to automatically import DoomRL player/score/mortem files, but have yet to come up with a non-terrible way of letting people upload that info automatically. In the meantime, you can get your stuff imported, if you don't feel like unlocking everything from scratch, as follows:
  • Register an account on the server
  • Send me an archive containing player.wad, score.wad, and your mortem directory
  • Wait for me to import it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Death Skid Mark is pretty neat but I'm at a loss as to how one even survives later levels. I got to about the 3/4 mark on medium and nearly every car was packing guns that shredded me in a hurry despite maxed out fenders and defenses on my dudes. Despite having rank 4-6 guns on 3 dudes with scopes and maxed ranged skill it was still faster to ram cars than shoot them.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Death Skid Mark is pretty neat but I'm at a loss as to how one even survives later levels. I got to about the 3/4 mark on medium and nearly every car was packing guns that shredded me in a hurry despite maxed out fenders and defenses on my dudes. Despite having rank 4-6 guns on 3 dudes with scopes and maxed ranged skill it was still faster to ram cars than shoot them.

Firstly 2 items that are incredibly useful the wrench and first aid kit, repairs and health can help greatly if you're in dire need of them without a shop. Also whilst scopes are nice some single use stuff like gas grenades and rockets are incredibly useful if you come across a car that'll gently caress you up.

Have you been killing the passengers/driver? Sometimes its just better to kill the most deadly crew men first and then focus on taking down the car in the way to get the most money.

Only other things are have you been taking advantage of Russian roulette/medical experiments/weapons lab to boost stuff for free?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
What exactly do the Wilderness Lores do in Qud?

I usually grab all of them because I think it increases survival, and I know it decreases the chances of getting lost in a particular biome but is that all?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

Firstly 2 items that are incredibly useful the wrench and first aid kit, repairs and health can help greatly if you're in dire need of them without a shop. Also whilst scopes are nice some single use stuff like gas grenades and rockets are incredibly useful if you come across a car that'll gently caress you up.

Have you been killing the passengers/driver? Sometimes its just better to kill the most deadly crew men first and then focus on taking down the car in the way to get the most money.

Only other things are have you been taking advantage of Russian roulette/medical experiments/weapons lab to boost stuff for free?

I made it to 56 km one run with repair + medkit but I got sandwiched between a combine, a tank and a rocket car, all in the prefect positions to kill half my dudes, ruining the run.

I usually try to kill the driver but sometimes that just doesn't work out.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

I made it to 56 km one run with repair + medkit but I got sandwiched between a combine, a tank and a rocket car, all in the prefect positions to kill half my dudes, ruining the run.

I usually try to kill the driver but sometimes that just doesn't work out.

Ah well, you just got hosed then!

What car were you trying with?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

Ah well, you just got hosed then!

What car were you trying with?

Standard. Don't have a lot of cars unlocked yet. Did some rocket car but the lack of party slots is brutal. Might try some combine next, not sure I'll like being slow.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Standard. Don't have a lot of cars unlocked yet. Did some rocket car but the lack of party slots is brutal. Might try some combine next, not sure I'll like being slow.

Yeah rocket car is fast and fun but you hurt for cash even if you pick all the gun kills give money jobs, at least the combine has 3 slots even if it handles like a snail.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Desideratus posted:

Unironically, if you put CoQ on Steam I will buy 10 copies just to pass spares out to friends; It's my favorite roguelike to date.

I'm not sure I'll buy ten, but I might get three plus mine.

(Maybe even during not-sales, although I've given a disgusting number of people Recettear. :haw: )

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mechacop can eat a bag of dicks. That is all.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I feel like the Mobile Roguelike section could benefit from the addition of Hoplite. It's a fun little hex based tactical combat roguelike with a free 16 level dungeon and a 2 buck endless mode. The interface was actually design for touch screens and it's got charmy pixel graphics. If you want a short time waster that actually makes you think, it's a really solid package.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man after all the laughably bad code I cleaned up to get Caves of Qud running smoothly under Unity's awful .NET implementation, I'm kind of surprised/impressed it ran at all under MS.NET.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Why is Caves of Qud being built in Unity, anyhow? Isn't that a 3D engine?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

tinkerttoy posted:

It can do 2D fine, and it has a bunch of cross-platform deployment options so it's pretty easy to build for PC, Mac, mobile, etc.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

tinkerttoy posted:

I'm actually working on a 2d game using unity. It's not perfect, but it is very easy + quick to work with, and runs on practically everything.

That said, the unity editor is definitely meant for 3d games (although they've been adding more 2d stuff lately). But, there's actually tons of 2d unity games out there despite that. I'd guess the most popular game using unity is hearthstone.

There are a bunch of roguelikes built in unity too, although I can't think of anything huge. There's desktop dungeon, if you want to count that as one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Man after all the laughably bad code I cleaned up to get Caves of Qud running smoothly under Unity's awful .NET implementation, I'm kind of surprised/impressed it ran at all under MS.NET.

Have you experimented with the recent Microsoft .NET release for Linux any?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Have you experimented with the recent Microsoft .NET release for Linux any?

Nope, I'm hilariously busy with Sproggi + Unity Caves of Qud + future game projects, not to mention assorted other minor responsibilities like a 'real job' and 'family' and 'playing Dragon Age'.

I feel like I'm falling massively behind on every front every minute. I need 100 more hours a day! :D

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Is there an android port of POWDER? I've only found the author mentioning a beta but apparently it's nowhere to be found anymore?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

lordfrikk posted:

Is there an android port of POWDER? I've only found the author mentioning a beta but apparently it's nowhere to be found anymore?

The beta is on the "ten years of development" post on the news front page:
http://www.zincland.com/powder/
http://www.zincland.com/powder/release/powder118_beta.apk

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Thank you, I'm blind :downs: Only read the Downloads section.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just downloaded Caves of Qud to try it for the first time. My first character, a hellish axe-wielding mass of limbs Marauder, killed a whole bunch of poo poo and then got fatally shot in the rear end with an arrow while spectacularly dismembering a dude. My second character had light manipulation and every single fire-related mutation, including spontaneous combustion. He caught fire IN THE STARTING TOWN and had to fling his blazing rear end into the watervine pits. Then he burned down a shitload of jackal dudes, including a unique, before finally being killed by an angry flaming bear (which is just about the most metal thing I can think of).

This game is hilarious and rad.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Does CoQ have any tilesets? ASCII burns my brain but the character gen has me so intrigued! :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bobo the Red posted:

Does CoQ have any tilesets? ASCII burns my brain but the character gen has me so intrigued! :(

CoQ actually has remarkably well-designed ASCII.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

CoQ actually has remarkably well-designed ASCII.

Which still isn't a tileset.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Bobo the Red posted:

No, but I think it's decent enough that you should at least give it a look first:

...and if that still hurts here is a palliative (if out of date) vision of the future:

panzertape
Nov 5, 2014
Can you guys recommend me some cool rogues for Android? Whats your pick? I wish they'd release a proper FTL for phones...

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

No, but I think it's decent enough that you should at least give it a look first:

...and if that still hurts here is a palliative (if out of date) vision of the future:

I did look! I just don't have it in me. Oh well, someday.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Bobo the Red posted:

I did look! I just don't have it in me. Oh well, someday.

Well, when Unormal gets his ducks in a row after Sproggiwood we'll likely start to see pictures of the new CoQ game and the warm fuzzies will flow for all. :3:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

panzertape posted:

Can you guys recommend me some cool rogues for Android? Whats your pick? I wish they'd release a proper FTL for phones...

Pixel Dungeon is p good

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

Which still isn't a tileset.

Well, since it's not using an actual console, strictly speaking it is actually just a tile set. Just one you don't like. :hist101: WHAT IS A ROGUELIKE? WHAT IS A TILESET? THE WORLD DEMANDS ANSWERS TO THESE STIRRING QUESTIONS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

panzertape posted:

My favorite is Cardinal Quest. Hoplite is really good too, though a bit easy.