Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Godholio posted:

WWII was a lovely deal for bomber crews. 8th Air Force's casualty rates were obscene, especially when you start comparing them to other groups.

Thats what happens when you fly thin aluminium into high velocity chunks of metal that fill miles of sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
I was thinking more of dogfighting. WW2 would also suck for tanks if you were in a sherman.

For a more refined list:

Cool:

Spec ops:Vietnam-SOG,Angola War-Recces
Infantry:WW2-U.S. or German, Korea-U.S.
Armor:WW2-German Eastern Front
Air:WW2-German Eastern Front. Korea-jet figher pilots over mig alley

lovely:

Infantry: Same as previous but now I'll also add in anyone on the losing side of a battle in ancient times where you just had to start running for your life and probably still just end up getting cut down from behind or getting captured by nice people like the Assyrians, also WW2-Russian Eastern Front
Air:Vietnam-U.S.(not super deadly but annoying), WW2-bomber crews and Soviet pilots in the Winter War
Armor:WW2-sherman crews
Naval: WW2-German U-boat crews

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

8lbsofanalsex posted:

Cool:
Armor:WW2-German Eastern Front

I feel like if at any point you're reduced to stacking the frozen bodies of your enemies on roads just so your tanks can get traction on the mud, you've got a lovely war going.

Actually when writing that out it sounds pretty metal, so maybe not.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I feel like if at any point you're reduced to stacking the frozen bodies of your enemies on roads just so your tanks can get traction on the mud, you've got a lovely war going.

Actually when writing that out it sounds pretty metal, so maybe not.

I think the riding around in Tiger and Panther tanks popping T-34s by the dozens would make up for most of that.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

8lbsofanalsex posted:

I think the riding around in Tiger and Panther tanks popping T-34s by the dozens constantly breaking down with engine/transmission malfunctions/lack of spareparts would make up for most of that it much worse.

ftfy

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 2, 2014

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

8lbsofanalsex posted:

I think the riding around in Tiger and Panther tanks popping T-34s by the dozens would make up for most of that.

Please do not encourage other dorks to come and post in excruciating detail about this.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Tiger's broke the gently caress down and the eastern front was an incredibly lovely mud- and deathfest, not sure how that's encouraging anyone to go all :goonsay:. I'm firmly in the camp of masturbating over huge deathmachines with fuckoff guns.

Speaking of fuckoff guns, I would have loved if the tank museum at Bovington had spent a gazillion man hours and cash to restore this thing.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
How about a laser?

USN-Laser-Dewey-03 by Jeff Head, on Flickr

USN-Laser-Dewey-04 by Jeff Head, on Flickr

USN-Laser-Dewey-05 by Jeff Head, on Flickr

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

moosepoop posted:

How about a laser?

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Please do not encourage grover to come and post in excruciating detail about this.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I may have asked this before but what happens if the lens gets wet? What if some teachers pet named Kent smears axle grease across the front?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tide posted:

I may have asked this before but what happens if the lens gets wet? What if some teachers pet named Kent smears axle grease across the front?

Not much, the energy density of the beam at the aperture is lower than the energy density of the beam at the target, because it's being focused there; this one is actually 6 individual beams that are all aimed to hit the same point. Also this is only a ~30kW laser, not a 5 megawatt one you could use to vaporize a human target from space if you have a phase conjugate targeting system.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Grover posted:

Not much, the energy density of the beam at the aperture is lower than the energy density of the beam at the target, because it's being focused there; this one is actually 6 individual beams that are all aimed to hit the same point. Also this is only a ~30kW laser, not a 5 megawatt one you could use to vaporize a human target from space if you have a phase conjugate targeting system.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I am currently reading a German account of the Eastern Front- it was cool for nobody, except the Officer's at their desk back at high command.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There is no desirable position in WW2. Everyone shared in the misery.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Man gently caress lasers. KE penetrators are cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa_vuX5_oAk

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Not entirely true

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

Not entirely true

Actually, Werner, we're all tickled to hear you say that. Frankly, watchin' Donny beat Nazis to death is is the closest we ever get to goin' to the movies.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Actually, Werner, we're all tickled to hear you say that. Frankly, watchin' Donny beat Nazis to death is is the closest we ever get to goin' to the movies.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Add WWI air to your lovely list. No parachutes. Rudimentary training. Wood and cloth planes that'd tear their own wings off.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Ron Jeremy posted:

Add WWI air to your lovely list. No parachutes. Rudimentary training. Wood and cloth planes that'd tear their own wings off.

And wacky engines without real throttle control that like to plunge the plane into the ground when you turn

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Teddy fuckin' Williams!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ron Jeremy posted:

So its like this:

Cool:
Anywhere but WWI

lovely
WWI

gently caress even being on-board a boat in the USCG you where liable to get sunk or damaged by German U-Boats because we had no sonar or radar back then.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

holocaust bloopers posted:

I heard the US mainland coastal batteries was pretty sweet place to be.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Motorpool ftw.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Phanatic posted:

phase conjugate targeting system.

Like this is a real thing.

Have fun building your death star, the rest of us in the real world will kill people with magnets:

By the way this program produced the coolest name the Navy has ever come up with "Velocitas Eradico".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Genocide Tendency posted:

Like this is a real thing.

I was referencing the same movie Tide was, not going Grover. gently caress the F-35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgNgAiGQ_IM

Chinatown posted:

Motorpool ftw.

I'm pretty sure my grandfather was the inspiration for the Don Rickles character in Kelly's Heroes:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Phanatic posted:

I was referencing the same movie Tide was, not going Grover. gently caress the F-35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgNgAiGQ_IM

It was friendly fire. I just quoted you to have a lead in to "Have fun building your death star, the rest of us in the real world will kill people with magnets".

That and phase conjugate what the gently caress ever doesn't even sound like english.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Every time I see this pass I am on loving awe. How did he get that?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
What is so special about that pass

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's basically permission-to-loot.jpg, which means he can in turn trade for whatever his unit needs, which will make him a loving hero.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Three weeks to do whatever whenever wherever in a port facility. Jesus Christ. What port is that? I can't get any google hits for "Captain R.J. Manson." e: I suppose it's gotta be somewhere in North Africa given the timeframe.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 2, 2014

movax
Aug 30, 2008

moosepoop posted:

How about a laser?

I'm knocking over things with my boner.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

movax posted:

I'm knocking over things with my boner.

Grover alt-account spotted.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Lou Takki posted:

Nah, Movax is actually insightful and funny most of the time. The antithesis of grover

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011
All wars have lovely things going on so it will never be fun 24/7. I was more going for combat scenarios that would be memorable if you were lucky enough to not die as war is the only place you can get those. Probably the thing that most makes me view a job in wartime as lovely is if you had no good chance of affecting the outcome. If you want to talk about lovely living conditions or being at a high threat of death there are plenty of places in the civilian world where you can find those. For annoying maintenance problems, I can just try driving my car.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I can write a list of the times that my mil job felt worthwhile:
--providing command and control for the rescue of 7 people on Haiti during the earthquake humanitarian efforts
--real world search and rescue of a bush pilot
--the time we intercepted a drug runner, handed the coordinates off to the Colombian AF, which promptly shot the plane down

That's all I got. About 20 hours of mission time out of 1100+. Yep.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Lou Takki posted:

"He knows too much."

>readies ether rag

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

One time an AF osprey blew an engine or some poo poo and did an emergency landing in the boonies in Djibouti. They flew a new engine out on a 53 and we provided security for about 45 minutes. They gave us 2 full magazines for about 12 of us. And no we didn't spread load those either.

Welp that's my story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Mortabis posted:

Three weeks to do whatever whenever wherever in a port facility. Jesus Christ. What port is that? I can't get any google hits for "Captain R.J. Manson." e: I suppose it's gotta be somewhere in North Africa given the timeframe.

I believe it was Portsmouth. He didn't see combat, so far as I know, but he worked supply in the 8th Air Force and did a lot of TDY to forward areas to set up supply chains. Like this:

I think AAF 389 was in France. The gallery of his poo poo that I've scanned in is here:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/phanatic/sets/72057594139739640/

I've posted this before in another thread, and it's loving hilarious:
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/phanatic/155807906/in/set-72057594139739640
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/phanatic/155809090/in/set-72057594139739640
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/phanatic/155811321/in/set-72057594139739640

• Locked thread