Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Mind_Taker posted:

Adam Oates went on Wyshynski's podcast yesterday and was talking about the "dangers of puck possession". His argument was that it was dangerous to possess the puck so much because you take more hits and therefore get more injuries.

So that's why he had Jay Beagle centering the first line!

I think this is a courageous moral stance by Oates, to say that hockey is just a game and we should not sacrifice our well-being for the profit of abstract corporate entities. Winning a game, after all, is only winning a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

For a player with the assist totals of Oates you think possession would be intuitive for him. I don't think a former player has gone from hero to zero without criminal proceedings like Oates has for me.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Hand Knit posted:

I think this is a courageous moral stance by Oates, to say that hockey is just a game and we should not sacrifice our well-being for the profit of abstract corporate entities. Winning a game, after all, is only winning a game.

I hope Oates becomes the Nietzsche of hockey philosphy

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
N: Andrew MacDonald and Vinny Lecavalier are healthy scratches tonight in San Jose and Umberger demoted to the 4th line

V: :tastykake:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Sasha aint ratchet posted:

N: Andrew MacDonald and Vinny Lecavalier are healthy scratches tonight in San Jose and Umberger demoted to the 4th line

tbh I'm still a fan of Berube because even if he's a bit slow to do it sometimes he's actually willing to do poo poo like this

Sucks that he hates Akeson but overall he does seem to at least have a handle on this abysmal roster

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Sasha aint ratchet posted:

$9.5mil in the pressbox and a $4.6mil player on the 4th line

:stare:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Dirty Burger posted:

$9.5mil in the pressbox and a $4.6mil player on the 4th line

:stare:

The Holmgren Legacy

Kinda feel bad for Hextall, he really did inherit a shitshow.

e: Umberger is a Hextall thing though, so thats all on him.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Furnaceface posted:

The Holmgren Legacy

Kinda feel bad for Hextall, he really did inherit a shitshow.

e: Umberger is a Hextall thing though, so thats all on him.

Umberger is like that very first bad move to remind you that all GMs are human. I still see what he was trying to do (well, undo, because again, Homer), but boy howdy did it not work out even slightly

Oh well, rip the band-aid off and all that, maybe having a salary cap effectively $10m less than the rest of the league will teach the front office a lesson

Maybe

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Holmgren must have known he was getting a "promotion" from being a GM ala Kevin Lowe and signed Andrew MacDonald until 2020 as a final gently caress you

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
gently caress Adam Oates.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Philly's contract situation is so terrible it's easier to blame sabotage than incompetence, that much is certain.

Edit: At what point do you spend more of Snyder's money and eat the traditional buyout cap hits, if it really will make your roster better?

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 2, 2014

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

DOOMocrat posted:

Philly's contract situation is so terrible it's easier to blame sabotage than incompetence, that much is certain.

http://capgeek.com/flyers

Every time I look at this page I find something new to laugh about

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Vicas posted:

http://capgeek.com/flyers

Every time I look at this page I find something new to laugh about

Don't be glum! Maybe 2019-2020 will be Andy Mac's rebound season!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Mind_Taker posted:

Adam Oates went on Wyshynski's podcast yesterday and was talking about the "dangers of puck possession". His argument was that it was dangerous to possess the puck so much because you take more hits and therefore get more injuries.

So that's why he had Jay Beagle centering the first line!

How did Wyshynski react?

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Vicas posted:

I hope Oates becomes the Nietzsche of hockey philosphy

All he needs now is a bunch of self centered, blithering idiots defending him at every turn.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
I think the Oilers have actually killed my enjoyment of hockey this season. They're so bad (and seem to be actively getting worse + ruining their rookies) that I'm not even interested in watching actual good teams play.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pierre McGuire posted:

I think the Oilers have actually killed my enjoyment of hockey this season. They're so bad (and seem to be actively getting worse + ruining their rookies) that I'm not even interested in watching actual good teams play.

Take off your glasses, or put on glasses if you don't wear em, and watch the other blue and orange team with your new blur-o-vision. Pretend it's your team and celebrate

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Methot returns tonight, and Karlsson's out

lol

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Huge power outage at the Joe right now. Red Wings' practice is canceled, who knows what will happen tonight.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 2, 2014

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Anders posted:

How did Wyshynski react?

I didn't actually listen to it, I just read some Twitter comments about it.

Oates always preached "territory" over "possession", i.e. when you get the puck dump it into the offensive zone, and then retreat like poo poo to your own defensive zone so the other team doesn't score! And then hope to hell for some fluky penalty against the other team so Ovie can hit a dinger.

The Dirty Burger posted:

lol

Wait what? Is Karlsson injured?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

Huge power outage at the Joe right now. Red Wings' practice is canceled, who knows what will happen tonight.

Some fat cat team exec is all "SEE? We totally need a new arena! This proves it!"

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

xzzy posted:

Some fat cat team exec is all "SEE? We totally need a new arena! This proves it!"

I made that joke on Sunday, but this is far more than just the Joe - everything downtown is out, because the city's power grid is real bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A bankrupt city having problems with infrastructure? I'm shocked.

Or not shocked, because there's no power.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

I didn't actually listen to it, I just read some Twitter comments about it.

Oates always preached "territory" over "possession", i.e. when you get the puck dump it into the offensive zone, and then retreat like poo poo to your own defensive zone so the other team doesn't score! And then hope to hell for some fluky penalty against the other team so Ovie can hit a dinger.

Wait what? Is Karlsson injured?

Oates wasn't actually on the podcast, they were discussing something he had said to Marek on HNIC.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

The Dirty Burger posted:

lol

And they're also sitting Wiercioch.

On a related note, the islanders will spend the entire game in the Sens zone tonight.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

bub spank posted:

On a related note, the islanders will spend the entire game in the Sens zone tonight.

I can't wait to see the new look Sens powerplay.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

bub spank posted:

Methot/Cowen/Gryba/Ceci/Phillips/Borowiecki sounds like the worst puck moving defense group in the modern era of hockey.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
It's sad really. Oates was such a smart and gifted player on the ice. Who would have known he'd be so stupid in real life? Not McPhee's fault at all.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Crosby and Bortuzzo are both sick and questionable for tonight's game. Sounds like the Pens might callup Scott Wilson as insurance.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

AsInHowe posted:

I made that joke on Sunday, but this is far more than just the Joe - everything downtown is out, because the city's power grid is real bad.

It extends into Midtown, too. Half of Wayne State is lights out right now.

gently caress it. I still love Detroit. Even if we're not allowed to have utilities.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Naet posted:

It extends into Midtown, too. Half of Wayne State is lights out right now.

gently caress it. I still love Detroit. Even if we're not allowed to have utilities.

I played the Detroit version of Monopoly once but it only has Jail and Baltic Avenue, and all the little house tokens were broken.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Garrioch says Karlsson will play. Crisis averted.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
If the power isn't fully restored at the Joe by 3:30 or so, the game will be postponed. It would take at least that long to fully set up the arena for the game tonight, especially the catering.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
am I too late to be astonished at Canada taking Fucale and his .886

Why not Comrie and Jarry? How do you not even invite Jarry?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

revtoiletduck posted:

Garrioch says Karlsson will play. Crisis averted.

Phew. If he weren't there, who would they blame for the upcoming loss?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

T-Bone posted:

he Just Wins Games™

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

a false posted:

he Just Wins Games™

the best part is the guy they snubbed literally won the Memorial Cup last year

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Rene Bork posted:

All he needs now is a bunch of self centered, blithering idiots defending him at every turn.

And, thus, the new motto of the NHL management fraternity becomes "we are all Nietszche."

T-Bone posted:

Why not Comrie and Jarry? How do you not even invite Jarry?
I guess you're maybe too late in that this sort of approach isn't new to the way Hockey Canada operates. For what it's worth, Pronman was going on yesterday about how taking him is reasonable(ish) and this isn't just a winz thing, but it still looks pretty bad. And, really, even if he is a genuine prospect, that still doesn't seem like reason enough to take him over someone like Jarry.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Ginette Reno posted:

Crosby and Bortuzzo are both sick and questionable for tonight's game. Sounds like the Pens might callup Scott Wilson as insurance.

I can't remember, have they played any teams with mumpy players recently? I know they haven't played the Blues, and they played the Ducks for the opener, but I feel like there's another team that had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
They're all second round picks (Jarry/Comrie/Fucale) -- is winning the U18 really enough to get you picked over a guy who has posted a career CHL .920+ and just won the Memorial Cup man Canada can be dumber than DeBoer when it comes to team selection he already sucked vs. Finland last year surely they remember that

• Locked thread