Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Exit Strategy posted:

Daisy-chained.

What is this GPIB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
Speaking of cables, I wonder why s-video never really took off, and most general-use electronics still use those crappy RCA cables :argh:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Zombie Chow posted:

Speaking of cables, I wonder why s-video never really took off, and most general-use electronics still use those crappy RCA cables :argh:

In the US Component was better and in Europe they had SCART which is (usually) superior or at least of similar quality.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

El Estrago Bonito posted:

In the US Component was better and in Europe they had SCART which is (usually) superior or at least of similar quality.

SCART is poo poo, the only redeeming features are audio return and RGB video.

Cheapest-feeling and flimsiest connector ever made. And so huge.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
SCART still took less space than the 5x RCA connectors needed for component video + stereo audio

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

SCART is poo poo, the only redeeming features are audio return and RGB video.

Cheapest-feeling and flimsiest connector ever made. And so huge.

And it's almost impossible to plug in if you can't see the socket. Also, it gives fun surprise if you happen to touch the pins while the other end is plugged in.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Is it seriously called SCART?

Was no one in Europe aware of SHART and SCAT back then?

Also reminds me as much as I love Wikipedia for getting quick information, they really need to become obsolete. I just searched SCART and got a 3/4 page filled with 'PLEASE GIVE US MONEY'

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Pretty sure it's a point of pride for French engineers not to know informal English.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zombie Chow posted:

S-video makes your SNES, N64, and PS1 games crisp as hell on a decent CRT :dance:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I never felt that s‐video was much of an improvement. I always went to the trouble of getting the cable, but was always disappointed once I plugged it in. The gap between s‐video and Y PB PR/RGB is bigger than any other.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Dec 3, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ha, that reminds me yet again of the laptops we got as part of my school's laptop program.

They all had video out, and yup...it was S-Video. And in the early 2000's, plenty of TVs didn't have S-Video, so cue everyone buying a little S-Video to RCA dongle.

(well, it had a VGA out, too, but a VGA-in on a TV was more rare than an S-Video.)

V V V Didn't you have to have one of the early generation GCs? For some reason, i thought I read they eventually took out the RGB out because only a few games ever used the higher resolution. I do remember having it for my GC, though (still stuffed in a closet somewhere...and with the Wii (and Wii U?) being backwards compatible, can't even really sell it.) V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Dec 3, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, s-video wasn't worth it over composite, but RGB from my Gamecube to a good CRT TV was glorious.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rectus posted:

And it's almost impossible to plug in if you can't see the socket. Also, it gives fun surprise if you happen to touch the pins while the other end is plugged in.

Are you still talking about SCART? Because I'm pretty sure it's keyed and only possible to insert one way in at most two tries. :colbert:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Are you still talking about SCART? Because I'm pretty sure it's keyed and only possible to insert one way in at most two tries. :colbert:

It's keyed, but the female plug is flat with just the outline of the shield to guide you. Unless the socket is recessed it will just feel like a smooth surface, and you'll have a hard time finding even where the socket is, much less getting it rotated to fit in.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, s-video wasn't worth it over composite, but RGB from my Gamecube to a good CRT TV was glorious.

The few GC games that supported progressive scan (the Metroid Prime games are good examples) were very lovely with a component hookup.

I'll gladly take s-video over composite any day of the week if I'm playing on a console that doesn't support component output. The difference, at least to me, is night and day.

I was lucky enough to have picked up a bunch of composite/s-video multi-cables for pennies on the dollar back when stores were just trying to get rid of them, and they're a godsend when you're hosting a "retro gaming" night.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

SCART cables were a pain to plug in, and were massive, but single cable connections between the TV and VCR was at least easy and tidy. Also, having the TV automatically switch onto the VCR channel when a tape was inserted, then back to TV when it was ejected, was pretty cool.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

dissss posted:

SCART still took less space than the 5x RCA connectors needed for component video + stereo audio

Not that this was ever an issue since any CRT tv would be huge.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

DrBouvenstein posted:

V V V Didn't you have to have one of the early generation GCs? For some reason, i thought I read they eventually took out the RGB out because only a few games ever used the higher resolution. I do remember having it for my GC, though (still stuffed in a closet somewhere...and with the Wii (and Wii U?) being backwards compatible, can't even really sell it.) V V V

The first version of the GC had a digital out(technically analog) for component cables, and games that supported progressive scan mode could take advantage of this to run in 480p. The feature was removed in later models.

Meanwhile, in PAL-land there were RGB SCART cables for the Gamecube available that gave a slightly higher picture quality, but games still ran by default in 576i 50Hz. A similar cable was also available for the Wii, as the standard Wii came with composite cables and a SCART adapter. Unlike component, SCART is still limited to 576i though(but it did add the option of automatically switching to the correct AV channel on system power-on) Along with that, the digital out port on PAL GCs was never used at all, but was still present in the hardware.

Also available in PAL-land was PAL60(480i 60Hz), an option for almost all games. The system stored this setting, asking to use it on startup. On the GC's box this was advertised as being only possible with the RGB cable, but it works just as well with the included composite+SCART adapter cable. The setting is even stored in the system so you don't have to hold a button during startup, compatible games will just ask to display in 60Hz mode. The Wii also supports this mode and can be set to use it in the system menu(and all Wii games are compatible with this mode)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Early GCNs actually outputted digital video, with a chip in the cable doing the conversion to YPBPR or VGA. That’s why no equivalent third‐party cords exist.

e: f;b

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

S-video makes your SNES, N64, and PS1 games crisp as hell on a decent CRT :dance:

It's OK but any good CRT that has an S-video hookup (Sony PVM or similar) will also have hookups for RGB over component and that will make your poo poo look waaaaay better.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's OK but any good CRT that has an S-video hookup (Sony PVM or similar) will also have hookups for RGB over component and that will make your poo poo look waaaaay better.

When did RGB even become a thing? I remember having several large, decent-for-the time TVs (late 90s) that had S-Video but no component.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Last Chance posted:

When did RGB even become a thing? I remember having several large, decent-for-the time TVs (late 90s) that had S-Video but no component.

I think they became widespread when CRTs were going through their last hurrah in the early 2000s. I still have a 24" Samsung I inherited from my little brother in 2005 that has component, and the picture quality was very good from what I can remember.

They were also common on early flat panel LCD TVs, before HDMI. The first LCD TV I had in 2006 had two or three banks of component inputs along with DVI, VGA, S-Video and composite RCA.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
RGB was common in Europe via SCART, but in the US/Japan it was mostly component. They had roughly the same level of quality, both being better than S-Video or composite.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Last Chance posted:

When it comes to good CRT's its been the standard on video production monitors for a long time (Sony PVM's are popular for old game systems) but it didn't really shine until the late 90's when big heavy big screen TV's became super popular just before the widespread advent of flat screens.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

When it comes to good CRT's its been the standard on video production monitors for a long time (Sony PVM's are popular for old game systems)

It was also used on medical monitiors (like for endoscopy cameras) for a while before it had mainstream home-use adoption, too.

I think a lot of them were essentially the same as for video production (Sony PVMs,) but just gone through a bit more rigorous testing/QA/etc... to be approved for medical use.

Here's an endoscopy cart with everything else missing, but that sweet, sweet PVM monitor still on top:

Of course, to use them for games, you'll probably have toget some RCA-to-BNC connectors:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

It was also used on medical monitiors (like for endoscopy cameras) for a while before it had mainstream home-use adoption, too.

I think a lot of them were essentially the same as for video production (Sony PVMs,) but just gone through a bit more rigorous testing/QA/etc... to be approved for medical use.

Here's an endoscopy cart with everything else missing, but that sweet, sweet PVM monitor still on top:

Of course, to use them for games, you'll probably have toget some RCA-to-BNC connectors:

The list of things I wouldn't do to own that cart is very, very short.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Get a lot of endoscopies and get it as a frequent flyer award?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

There's thing thing called "money" that can be used to buy things:
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/endoscopy-cart

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
The cart with the monitor :argh:

We had a bank of similar 20ish" Sony PVM's at the TV studio I worked at ages ago. They're a lot heavier than they look. Each one of those fuckers had to have weighed sixty pounds. Clearest picture I've ever seen on a monitor, though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

We had a bank of similar 20ish" Sony PVM's at the TV studio I worked at ages ago. They're a lot heavier than they look. Each one of those fuckers had to have weighed sixty pounds. Clearest picture I've ever seen on a monitor, though.

i work at a tv studio and when it came time to replace the CRT's with LCDs the ones mounted in rows to the ceiling just got drywalled over and LCD's mounted over them. you can pop your head in behind the set and see them still.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

i work at a tv studio and when it came time to replace the CRT's with LCDs the ones mounted in rows to the ceiling just got drywalled over and LCD's mounted over them. you can pop your head in behind the set and see them still.
Take them. :pram:

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Imaging-Endoscopy-Cart-3-Shelf-TI-1900-w-Sony-PVM-20L2MD-19-Monitor-/390988848532
The cart is pretty sweet too.

There's others. One is 23,500 bux.

Yermaw Zahoor has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Dec 5, 2014

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

S-video also makes VHS dubs to DVD or digital look awesome if you happen to have a good S-VHS VCR. 30 year old home recordings and prerecorded movies never looked so good when I find the time to back up what VHS I have left (mainly OOP and rare movies/tv stuff).

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
For a short while I had a 32", 4:3 aspect monitor for my PC that needed an RGB cable.

During a clear out of a store room, I found 3 of them. I could only get the one to fire up, but the company just wanted rid of them.
I got a couple of security guys to put it in my car, then had to get my landlord to help me carry that mother up the stairs.

Playing M1 Tank Platoon 2 was glorious on that thing.

:-/

I also had a "3d mouse" doo-hickey that used ultrasound thingies to detect your hand movements to move the mouse pointer. Seeing as you had to raise your hand above desk level, it was pretty poo poo after the novelty wore off. Also don't tip your head forward, sneeze, blow your nose or do anything above desk level.

That was before the turn of the century. My god.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

For serious, though, why not?

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

DicktheCat posted:

For serious, though, why not?

Because even though it's obvious that the station has no use for them, they're probably still on the books somewhere and nobody wants to be shitcanned for taking a few CRT monitors no matter how useless they are to the owner now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Hand scanners were horrible pieces of poo poo.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

HDMI 2.0 can do 4K at 60hz, I think.
Yes, but unless it's 4096x2160 or 3840x2160 at 60hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling it's marketing bullshit masquerading as 4K.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dick Trauma posted:

Hand scanners were horrible pieces of poo poo.

Oh, poo poo, I had one like that. You had to scan at the right speed or you'd freak out the computer and get a blue screen. That was $99 not well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

mints posted:

Because even though it's obvious that the station has no use for them, they're probably still on the books somewhere and nobody wants to be shitcanned for taking a few CRT monitors no matter how useless they are to the owner now.

Actually, I doubt they are on the books. I would wager it is more of a " less cost-effort to just leave them there" thing.