Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm about to need to drive a lot of staples into wood.

I have six chairs I need to re-web. The cushions are fine, but the cheap rubber webbing woven through to support them is no match for six D&D-playing teenage boys. That's at least 8 straps per chair, to be attached twice per end (you staple the webbing on once, then double it over and staple it again), for a total of at least 800 staples needing to be driven through jute webbing into wood.

My research tells me what the pros use is some sort of pneumatic stapler; this is well out of my price range. The options are:

1. Well-made hand staple gun. Pros: Drives staples with sufficient force. Cons: That's 20 pounds of force applied by my fragile ladyhands, every time I need to cock the lever. Times 800 staples. I foresee no good here.

2. Electric staple gun. Pros: Less damage to ladyhands. Cons: Every single Amazon review says these can't drive staples for poo poo, unless into very soft wood.

3. Rent a compressor, a hose, and a nailgun (can't find anybody who rents pneumatic staplers locally). Pros: has the power for the job. Cons: Expense, noise, having to learn how to operate complex equipment on the fly, with bonus chance of amusing permanent injuries if I screw things up.

Are there any options I'm missing here? Do you have suggestions? I'm about ready to grumble and pay somebody to reweb the chairs, but I think I'd enjoy doing this one myself if I don't have to go broke on tools beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
If you go the regular staple gun route, make sure to position your work so you're just leaning into it instead of squeezing the handle with your hand.

I'd go the pneumatic route, but I already have a compressor.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have an electric stapler. Arrow staples don't work for poo poo but whatever that other brand of staple is that comes in a plastic case, works okay. Still have to tap one down occasionally. Also have a hand stapler but I rarely use it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Which brand of electric do you have?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Which brand of electric do you have?

Ironically it's Arrow brand.

wormil fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 27, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I got an electric brad gun that drives staples, that seems to have the muscle for the job but I don't have the brand or model handy.

E: Amazon history: tacwise 181els

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 27, 2014

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

3. Rent a compressor, a hose, and a nailgun (can't find anybody who rents pneumatic staplers locally). Pros: has the power for the job. Cons: Expense, noise, having to learn how to operate complex equipment on the fly, with bonus chance of amusing permanent injuries if I screw things up.

Are there any options I'm missing here? Do you have suggestions? I'm about ready to grumble and pay somebody to reweb the chairs, but I think I'd enjoy doing this one myself if I don't have to go broke on tools beforehand.

Compressors and staple/nail guns aren't particularly complex or dangerous. You can pick up a small low powered compressor fairly cheaply. They're pretty handy to have around as well.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So, is this Lowes DeWalt miter saw $78 better than the harbor freight one?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_122210-70-DW715_0__?AID=10926682&PID=4328635

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

canyoneer posted:

So, is this Lowes DeWalt miter saw $78 better than the harbor freight one?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_122210-70-DW715_0__?AID=10926682&PID=4328635

The HB one is a sliding miter and it has a frickin' LASER on it.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
I know the general consensus is that portable table saws are no good. If I have the option of a portable or nothing, would the Kobalt table saw currently on sale for $200 be worth considering?

For perspective, I've been using a cordless 5.25" circular saw for the last seven years, so I'd guess even a bad table saw would be a vast improvement.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009
Thoughts on this compressor?
http://yuma.craigslist.org/tls/4781192897.html
The thing runs and has air, I don't think I can go too far wrong for 100 bucks.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

snickles posted:

I know the general consensus is that portable table saws are no good. If I have the option of a portable or nothing, would the Kobalt table saw currently on sale for $200 be worth considering?

For perspective, I've been using a cordless 5.25" circular saw for the last seven years, so I'd guess even a bad table saw would be a vast improvement.

Any table will be 10x better than that.

Personally I'm a home depot guy and I saw the portable ridgid for the same price. Might want to compare them.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You generally get what you pay for in table saws. Cheaper saws will be louder, with sloppy miter slots, and fences that won't stay parallel to the blade.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPSLsI3t_Uw

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 30, 2014

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Is there any reason to be wary of a second-hand pancake compressor? As far as I can figure, brand-new small compressors run $100 and upward, and I can find second-hand Porter Cable compressors with hoses on Craigslist for ~$50. This, for instance: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/4758754926.html

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nothing wrong with used compressors.

As long as it doesn't look like it's been running nonstop for a year doing a house remodel, go for it. Are you sure you need a pancake compressor? Good for a brad nailer/finish nailer and filling car tires but not much else.

e: beat me on the edit. I don't really hate pancake compressors, they just get used a lot for things they can't do well.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 30, 2014

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What's wrong with pancake compressors? All I need to run is a staple gun, and not at a rapid clip. It's for reupholstery, not for construction.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Just check and make sure there isn't any corrosion in the tank. You can do this by running it for a little while and then draining it using the purge valve.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

wormil posted:

You generally get what you pay for in table saws. Cheaper saws will be louder, with sloppy miter slots, and fences that won't stay parallel to the blade.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPSLsI3t_Uw

Maybe I am a big ninny, but watching his hand position on those first few cuts made me cringe a little bit.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

asdf32 posted:

Any table will be 10x better than that.

Personally I'm a home depot guy and I saw the portable ridgid for the same price. Might want to compare them.

Thanks for this. My local Home Depot only had the cheaper ryobi saws on display when I went to look. That ridgid looks like a better saw. Not a huge amount of information about it, but it seems quality.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I have become interested in taking cheap crap tools and turning them into something usable. I have fixed up a groz 60 1/2 block plane and a no 5 jack plane to the point that they are really nice. Not lee valley quality, but certainly no worse than any of the vintage Stanleys I've had a chance to play with when tuned. Also made a couple crap sets of butt chisels usable.

I am currently working on turning a hf no 33 1/2 into a scrub plane and making a set of bench chisels. After that, though, I am kind of at a loss. Has anyone made a wood smoother or infill plane? I'm tempted to just go straight to the infill since I have access to a machine shop.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

SkunkDuster posted:

Maybe I am a big ninny, but watching his hand position on those first few cuts made me cringe a little bit.

Me too.

My dad nearly lost his thumb on Christmas Eve 6 or 7 years ago because he got too comfortable with his table saw.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Gounads posted:

Me too.

My dad nearly lost his thumb on Christmas Eve 6 or 7 years ago because he got too comfortable with his table saw.

Watched for this. Yes, this was bad. Not sure if he sped the video up or not but (and this is a judgement) that guy looked way to comfortable with his saw

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It drives me nuts to not see people wear correct PPE. I work for a big manufacturing company (not on the floor) and they are nuts about it. They even send us emails this time of year about safe practices for hanging up Christmas lights.
It takes, like, 4 seconds to put on eyes, ears, and gloves. But all the PPE in the world can't correct unsafe practices.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SkunkDuster posted:

I posted it because he plainly shows what I wrote about sloppy miter gauges and rip fences.

But the constant safety nagging everytime a tablesaw video comes up on any forum is super annoying. Personally I give no fucks if someone cuts off every one of their fingers. If a person cares about themselves they will take precautions.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

wormil posted:

I posted it because he plainly shows what I wrote about sloppy miter gauges and rip fences.

But the constant safety nagging everytime a tablesaw video comes up on any forum is super annoying. Personally I give no fucks if someone cuts off every one of their fingers. If a person cares about themselves they will take precautions.

I think folks take issue because the video poster is taking a position of instruction and showing the world how they do things regarding table saws. If they are cavalier at home and off youtube no one cares, but when beginners are likely to see ther attitude towards safety, it is different.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Cross posted from the woodworking thread although in retrospect probably is better here. Small update: I picked up a Dewalt finishing blade at lowes for half off so I'll give that a try.

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm not sure if I should post this in the tools thread or here but...

I set up my harbor freight sliding miter saw and adjusted it. I'm beginning to think I should have just made some test cuts with it first to see how true it was but the miter angle gauge was obviously off so I just adjusted the stop as well.

Anyway with a nice square, the blade seems to be true. Like no gaps that I can see at all. However when I make cuts and flip the pieces around 180 it seems like it's off maybe 1/64th on one edge - maybe 1/128th. I mean just a tiiiiiny bit, but enough to be able to tell.

So my options.
1. I need to try to adjust it again even though I spend 2 hours adjusting. I suppose I could be doing something wrong.
2. Something else is throwing it off like crappy uneven test stock (which it is).
3. The blade that came with it isn't good enough for super fine work (this is where I'm leaning)
4. I am somehow being sloppy with the cut because I am a woodworking babby (also likely)
5. This is perfectly normal variation and if I were making a picture frame (my first anticipated test project) I wouldn't even be able to tell after I glue everything up.

Am I just being a spergy perfectionist or should this be micron perfect? Should I invest in a better blade and try again?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I think folks take issue because the video poster is taking a position of instruction and showing the world how they do things regarding table saws. If they are cavalier at home and off youtube no one cares, but when beginners are likely to see ther attitude towards safety, it is different.

The only person responsible for your personal safety, is you. And I have news for you, there are lots of videos on youtube of people who talk about safety and on the surface appear to be using a tablesaw properly but are not and making subtle mistakes that are more likely to get themselves hurt than the guy in the video. Danger is not always obvious. And even when people are using saws safely, there were will still be people who want to talk about safety; it gets so, so tiresome. Bottom line, go to a credible source for instruction on safe procedure.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

canyoneer posted:

It drives me nuts to not see people wear correct PPE. I work for a big manufacturing company (not on the floor) and they are nuts about it. They even send us emails this time of year about safe practices for hanging up Christmas lights.
It takes, like, 4 seconds to put on eyes, ears, and gloves. But all the PPE in the world can't correct unsafe practices.

I thought the advice was no gloves for anything with moving blades? No issue with the other advice, one of the foreman I used to work with on a previous job was happy for people to steal ppe for home use, if it meant you turned up to work with all your fingers and eyes :v:

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
I got those two 44" HF tool chests like I had previously said. Initial impressions are all very very good. I could have used one or two slightly deeper drawers so I could put my circular saw in but my routers fit and I now have a permanent enclosed place to put the vast majority of my stuff, which feels good.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Anubis posted:

I got those two 44" HF tool chests like I had previously said. Initial impressions are all very very good. I could have used one or two slightly deeper drawers so I could put my circular saw in but my routers fit and I now have a permanent enclosed place to put the vast majority of my stuff, which feels good.

Glad you are happy with them. I like mine as I mentioned before. There is a side cabinet attachment (which I do not have) that would probably accommodate your circular saw if you want to pick it up in the future.
This thing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Cakefool posted:

I thought the advice was no gloves for anything with moving blades?

Probably. Like I said, I'm a hobbyist so I have no idea. But not knowing something won't stop me from arguing on the internet about it!

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
So HF wouldnt take a 20% off coupon on any of the BF items. The coupons says "not valid for in store events" which probably was what got me.

The 12" compound slider is $139 which is probably the lowest it's going to get but I decided to pass because I was a little butt hurt over the coupon.

I did pickup an M12 rotary tool at Home Depot for $79. Been waiting on this one for a while now, have been surprised how often I use my lovely Dremel one.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Quick update... I bought that fiskars x27 axe and tried it out today. There was a world of difference that I wasn't prepared for.

In the beginning, I was throwing as much force behind it as the old axe. I ended up splitting a small log, and also the stump underneath it I was using as a stand. After that, I figured out just the weight of the axe was usually enough for the easy stuff.

I had a stack of wood I had tried and given up splitting with my old axe. I was convinced I'd have to break out the wedge and sledge hammer. All knotty and y-bend stuff. This thing went through those with a max of 2 strikes each.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can someone please find that video of the guy in sandals demonstrating his "strong" "stronger" and "strongest" log splitting attacks? I'm not having any luck and it's so topical.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Bad Munki posted:

Can someone please find that video of the guy in sandals demonstrating his "strong" "stronger" and "strongest" log splitting attacks? I'm not having any luck and it's so topical.

I know exactly what you're talking about, I have gifs on my computer at home

Edit: Found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgyQQGPZwrk

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 2, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sointenly posted:

So HF wouldnt take a 20% off coupon on any of the BF items. The coupons says "not valid for in store events" which probably was what got me.

The 12" compound slider is $139 which is probably the lowest it's going to get but I decided to pass because I was a little butt hurt over the coupon.

I did pickup an M12 rotary tool at Home Depot for $79. Been waiting on this one for a while now, have been surprised how often I use my lovely Dremel one.

Honestly you're better off IMO.
I used a 12" compound slider (not mine) when putting up a deck and it just felt like garbage.. On day 2 I grabbed my $99 Hitachi non-slider and did 90% of the work with it instead of the HF one. I can't remember the particulars. but it was hard to keep straight, it was out of adjustment a lot. The guard was being a pain in the rear end for larger pieces of wood. the exhaust port clogged up quickly..

I already have an old sears rip saw so the slider isn't a big deal to me but honestly if I needed to cut something wider than my 12" could cut normally I'd pull out my circular saw and go from there.

Rotary tools are amazing.. one of those things you keep saying to yourself "when am I really going to use this" then you get one and it gets used a lot more.

On my list next is one o them thurr fancy oscillating tools.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Edit: Found it

Thank you so much, I'd been looking for that for a while and the recent axechat reminded me. :cheers:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Where did this come from? Does anyone actually split wood like this (other than this guy)? He is taking 10 ft. leaps while swinging an 8 lb. maul over his head, in sandals.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

armorer posted:

Where did this come from? Does anyone actually split wood like this (other than this guy)? He is taking 10 ft. leaps while swinging an 8 lb. maul over his head, in sandals.

Uhhh hello do you know literally nothing about splitting wood???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oadLuyIyjlI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

armorer posted:

I have no idea, the dude probably tried to impress his buddies one day when he was 14 and it stuck. His other videos are good too, there's a good one that (as I recall) has him using a winch to pull down a quite large tree, which falls close enough to him that he has to outrun the tree.

Dude's an idiot who thinks he has found a better way to swing an axe than the rest of us mortals.