Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Elendil004 posted:

C'mon one of you nerds play with me

We tried, 0.11.1 didn't work, but 0.11.3 did.

But since Elendil is a US goon, and I'm in Norway, latency killed us. Sort of sucks you have to guess at latency, but that is what alpha is for. It sort of worked though, until we got a third player in, also US goon.

I need some EU goons to play this with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A lot of the desync issues should be cleared up with 11.4, scheduled for release Thursday.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Boogalo posted:

A lot of the desync issues should be cleared up with 11.4, scheduled for release Thursday.

But what about the 1 trillion year reconnect time?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Ineptitude posted:

Pretty clean!

That 4-length L-shaped belt in the middle of the picture could be removed though, just have the inserter grab the gears directly from the assembler and input into the assembler to the right (Unless the gears are being used elsewhere as well?)

Nope, good spot! I'll have to remove that when I turn it back on, right now I got way too many conveyer pieces so I've turned it off for a bit.

This mission got fun as soon as I started to run out of iron trying to make the huge amount of Steel and AP Ammo it needs and after fussing about for ages wondering what I'd do I just went "gently caress it" and rolled a massive conveyer belt all the way down to the south of the map to mine out a massive amount of iron, with a bit of skirmishing with bugs while I was down there and some hive kills. Then Copper started to run out because AP Ammo takes a ton of copper so I'm working on grenading out and killing hives protected by turrets to the west now to get at the copper ore there.

There's something hugely satisfying about seeing an empty conveyer belt fill up with ore you've transported along a massive conveyer belt and this mess of fabricators and inserters come to life and begin spewing out waves of ammunition. Or finding a minor inconvenience like occasionally having to go put coil in the boilers on your far off mining complex and instead of putting up with it you can spend the resources to run a coal feed to it out of pure laziness.

I am ruining this land and loving it.

Tonight I might finally get to play with the Trains. I hear they're deadly.

Fans fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 1, 2014

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Fans posted:

Just don't cross the tracks until you get power armor with 4 energy shields.
They're pretty much a necessity though, there is never enough iron ore and oil.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Fans posted:

Nope, good spot! I'll have to remove that when I turn it back on, right now I got way too many conveyer pieces so I've turned it off for a bit.

Use a long handed inserter. They can pick up and insert anywhere on a factory, or anything really.

For trains, set your autosave to 1 minute while you are working on it if you have trains running at the same time.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I built my first train in multiplayer. I went away from the main base, made a little circle, ground out the engines and built it, then some fucker runs in, gets in it while I'm filling it with wood, and runs me over (Because we're on a curve). I explode into gibs, crashing the server.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Here is our current belt hell

Yes, we have way too much space dedicated to steel.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Boogalo posted:

Here is our current belt hell

Yes, we have way too much space dedicated to steel.

Copper wire on belts is a terrible idea. :goonsay:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Wire is the only thing where your input takes up less space than the output, so you should generate copper wire on demand.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

FISHMANPET posted:

Wire is the only thing where your input takes up less space than the output, so you should generate copper wire on demand.

Constructing the wires takes more space than running a couple full belts - the answer is just to make way more wire upstream.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

FISHMANPET posted:

It has worked ok so far. We're 35 hours in and while it's not super optimal, it's fun to try to jig things into places they really shouldn't fit. We have a huge depot set up to the east and were about to ramp up module production for rocket defense until we hit a wall of desync loops.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I said it before and I'll say it again, I would love belts that took electricity but layered up to allow onramps and offramps. I'd like that in a mod.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Just like in everything else, handling wire can be done in many ways. (Factorio! :yayclod:) Wire is used for only a small number of things, though, so let's take a look:

"Chips" (Basic Circuits) require 3 wire, but wire is made in twos, so the 'best ratio' is 3 Wire assemblers to two Chip assemblers. So let's further take at some designs.
[X]: I've seen some factories with wire/chip at 1:1. Don't do this.
[A]: The basic design is to have 3 Wires output to a belt and feed 2 Chips. This works out well and tends to balance nicely, plus it scales alright if you want to do 6/4 or 9/6 (though more than that and you need blue belts or both sides of a belt). It doesn't scale with Assembler3s or if you pack speed modules/beacons into them, since blue inserters only go so fast.
[B]: A more simple design staggers the assemblers a little so the three Wires directly insert from the assemblers into the Chips, each Chip with one Wire to itself, plus a shared one in the middle. I've found this works out "generally ok" but one Chip tends to stall; especially once you have a single Inserter Upgrade you end up with a few ticks with one Chip at 4 wire and one Chip at 2 wire. Scales with +Speed nicely, though, as long as +Inserter follows along.
[C]: My favorite. Scales with speed, nothing stalls.

Wire is fed into a stationary train car to act as a huge chest that the chips can take from as they need. Especially with +Inserter, the Chips end up with 9+ wire inside and never stall no matter how many speeds you cram in/around them.

---

Now for Redchips, one Wire can feed just about 7.5 (tested, not mathed) which means a 1:1 wire/redchip set is just silly. Belt that malarkey.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Wow. Maximum :spergin:

Edit: Max sperg is just how you win at the game, that's all I'm saying.

ikanreed fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 2, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ikanreed posted:

Wow. Maximum :spergin:

That factory spat out 3 L3 Modules per minute.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629545&userid=111378&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post432586402

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I take it multiplayer is in now then? The website is down :(

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

I take it multiplayer is in now then? The website is down :(

It's because I wanted to download the demo and try this game. Sorry everyone. :(

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pyromancer posted:

Just don't cross the tracks until you get power armor with 4 energy shields.
They're pretty much a necessity though, there is never enough iron ore and oil.

Hey wait a minute, don't train oil! While it's nice for a logistics puzzle, barreling/training/emptying/refilling barrels is hugely less efficient than making a long pipeline.

Making the traintrack alone will triple (or more) your Iron cost for base connection, let alone the sets of inserters, barrel costs, engines etc. Plus, the pipeline has virtually no limit on bandwidth (like 120/sec, which is like 80 healthy pumpjacks) and nearly-instant transport.

I would like barrelling to be the way to go since it is a nice puzzle to solve, but currently, don't train oil.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Evilreaver posted:

Hey wait a minute, don't train oil! While it's nice for a logistics puzzle, barreling/training/emptying/refilling barrels is hugely less efficient than making a long pipeline.

Making the traintrack alone will triple (or more) your Iron cost for base connection, let alone the sets of inserters, barrel costs, engines etc. Plus, the pipeline has virtually no limit on bandwidth (like 120/sec, which is like 80 healthy pumpjacks) and nearly-instant transport.

I would like barrelling to be the way to go since it is a nice puzzle to solve, but currently, don't train oil.

I see you like hooking up pipe after pipe after pipe instead of just letting logistic bots do all the work of building straight tracks.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ikanreed posted:

I see you like hooking up pipe after pipe after pipe instead of just letting logistic bots do all the work of building straight tracks.

Not sure why...

1. You cannot do that the same way with pipes?

and how...

2. You got logistics in the middle of nowhere?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Michaellaneous posted:

I usually use logistics bots for that.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I usually use logistics bots for that.

Yes but logistics bots need an active robotport or did I miss something?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Michaellaneous posted:

Not sure why...

1. You cannot do that the same way with pipes?

and how...

Oh, I see, you haven't lived with spitters very long then. Building little minibases that eventually get leveled.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's because I wanted to download the demo and try this game. Sorry everyone. :(

Website is up. :spergin: away!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Michaellaneous posted:

Yes but logistics bots need an active robotport or did I miss something?

Use logistics robots to place roboports. Everything is logistics bots

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Use logistics robots to place roboports. Everything is logistics bots

Except things you can bring by trains. Because :spergin:.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Boogalo posted:

Website is up. :spergin: away!

Ok that was fun. Demo is pretty straightforward, except for how to make the most out of steam engines. Also I realized that I can't walk through my stuff. :downs:

It seems like the game really lends itself to interesting puzzles, if a skim of the thread is anything to go by.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Is there anyway to automate tree cutting? I'd love to have a way to unleash hordes of buzzsaw wielding tree cutters on them but I can't find a way to do it if there is.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Ok that was fun. Demo is pretty straightforward, except for how to make the most out of steam engines. Also I realized that I can't walk through my stuff. :downs:

It seems like the game really lends itself to interesting puzzles, if a skim of the thread is anything to go by.

It does! The complexity of your factories just increase as you go on and are given more tools to increase efficiency, which you need to use because everything you're making to increase your efficiency requires more work and automation than the last lot of improvements. Then you start to need resources from further away from your base and ways to get them home at speed, all while angry aliens try to eat your stuff because your new efficient set ups are polluting the air.

It's all nicely intertwined in encouraging you to slowly expand, then deal with the problems of your expansion.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Fans posted:

Is there anyway to automate tree cutting? I'd love to have a way to unleash hordes of buzzsaw wielding tree cutters on them but I can't find a way to do it if there is.

It does! The complexity of your factories just increase as you go on and are given more tools to increase efficiency, which you need to use because everything you're making to increase your efficiency requires more work and automation than the last lot of improvements. Then you start to need resources from further away from your base and ways to get them home at speed, all while angry aliens try to eat your stuff because your new efficient set ups are polluting the air.

It's all nicely intertwined in encouraging you to slowly expand, then deal with the problems of your expansion.

Construction bots can and will deconstruct an entire forest in a matter of seconds.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Evilreaver posted:

Maybe it's not worth it if it's just train track for oil pickup exclusively, but I already have minerals collected by train, why would I not train oil from sources nearby the stations or next to existing track?
Pipelines are an annoyance to build and walk around, and when oil is depleted you can't just pick them up and place somewhere else. And barelling/emptying solution isn't much of a puzzle - 2 chests, one assembler, one smart inserter(to not unload empty/full barrels as you load them) and 3 regular inserters. Besides, steel chest of full oil barrels is the most compact oils storage, not those huge oil tanks.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 2, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pyromancer posted:

Maybe it's not worth it if it's just train track for oil pickup exclusively, but I already have minerals collected by train, why would I not train oil from sources nearby the stations or next to existing track?
Pipelines are an annoyance to build and walk around, and when oil is depleted you can't just pick them up and place somewhere else. And barelling/emptying solution isn't much of a puzzle - 2 chests, one assembler, one smart inserter(to not unload empty/full barrels as you load them) and 3 regular inserters. Besides, steel chest of full oil barrels is the most compact oils storage, not those huge oil tanks.

Why store oil at all? The pumpjacks helpfully turn off when the line is full, and just one or two long lines give thousands of storage
Why pick up dead oil pumps? They drop to 0.1/sec, meaning that *eventually* you can live off just dead pumps
And the pipe is super easy to lay and an order of magnitude cheaper than trains unless there is literally a train right there at *every single* pump site. That list of things you said? A long pipe's list is "A long pipe" and only one step harder than running the powerline out there (which you have to do anyway).
Also, when training in oil, you end up with the refineries next to your mineral input or a long belt somewhere (and back) for the barrels, with the pipes your refinery complex can be anywhere in your factory to make piping petro/fuel easier.

+Bandwidth is unlimited and constant, built-in storage is immense, you never have to wait for the train to come in. No need to fuel a train or run turnback loops. Flexibility of refinery placement.
-You can't ride a train out to the site for maintenance, you might someday run over the pipe in your tank.

In my book, "don't train oil" is pretty much the same as "don't put two colors of science on the same side of a belt". You can if you want, but it'll either be a pain, or just more annoying than the simple solution.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I haven't played this in over a year. Now there are trains and robots and multiplayer? :psyduck:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

oxbrain posted:

I haven't played this in over a year. Now there are trains and robots and multiplayer? :psyduck:

And tanks :torgue:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Why store oil at all? The pumpjacks helpfully turn off when the line is full, and just one or two long lines give thousands of storage
Why pick up dead oil pumps? They drop to 0.1/sec, meaning that *eventually* you can live off just dead pumps
And the pipe is super easy to lay and an order of magnitude cheaper than trains unless there is literally a train right there at *every single* pump site. That list of things you said? A long pipe's list is "A long pipe" and only one step harder than running the powerline out there (which you have to do anyway).
Also, when training in oil, you end up with the refineries next to your mineral input or a long belt somewhere (and back) for the barrels, with the pipes your refinery complex can be anywhere in your factory to make piping petro/fuel easier.

+Bandwidth is unlimited and constant, built-in storage is immense, you never have to wait for the train to come in. No need to fuel a train or run turnback loops. Flexibility of refinery placement.
-You can't ride a train out to the site for maintenance, you might someday run over the pipe in your tank.

In my book, "don't train oil" is pretty much the same as "don't put two colors of science on the same side of a belt". You can if you want, but it'll either be a pain, or just more annoying than the simple solution.

:psyduck: What?
Why would I put refineries where oil is mined? Refineries always stay at home base and never move, load oil to barrels where it's mined, unload oil from barrels into pipes and storage tanks at home base to refine. Don't transport barrels on the belt, they're only in the train or at train stations chests.

You complained about iron spending for rail and advocate running tons of pumpjacks on 10% wells in next sentence.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 2, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Mineral input, as in, where you put minerals into the factory. Ie, your furnace setup

And the price of a pumpjack is miniscule. I advocate building a new jack and planting it rather than spend any time tearing up a dead one. If five pumpjacks stop being enough, build 5 more, you end up with 5.5 net. Later build 5 more, you end up with 6 net, until you don't need more (serious lategame, if ever)

Heck, tearing up a dead jack assembly probably costs more manhours than clicking "pumpjack" in the build menu as you drive over to a new well- unless you have bots tear it down because bots are great.

Edit: there is literally no advantage to using trains, and I can keep coming up with more advantages to the pipe. Fewer moving parts, less power (particularly running the train), fewer of all parts (just iron compared to iron/steel/stone/assemblers/inserters). But now I'm getting :spergin: so I'm done, factorio however you like.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 2, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Evilreaver posted:

Edit: there is literally no advantage to using trains, and I can keep coming up with more advantages to the pipe. Fewer moving parts, less power (particularly running the train), fewer of all parts (just iron compared to iron/steel/stone/assemblers/inserters). But now I'm getting :spergin: so I'm done, factorio however you like.

You can cross train tracks (If you dare) but pipes get in the friggin way.

That's it though, if you don't want to go past the pipe then pipe seems best.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Underground pipes are fine. If you want to train your oil for fun, go for it, but underground pipes are just flat-out better. At least until the AI is revamped and they can be attacked.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I've thought about modding oil to be more viscous, to avoid/address just that issue - give barreling oil (or small pumps, for that matter) a purpose. However, the trial-and-error of fiddling with the numbers in the definition files and reloading Factorio over and over puts me off.

One of these days I'll do it, if nobody beats me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

When absolutely every loving tree has to die.

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4757

(fake) Edit:

Shintaro posted:

I've thought about modding oil to be more viscous, to avoid/address just that issue - give barreling oil (or small pumps, for that matter) a purpose. However, the trial-and-error of fiddling with the numbers in the definition files and reloading Factorio over and over puts me off.

One of these days I'll do it, if nobody beats me to it.

I tried modding in a Tar-like liquid at one point. It's an interesting logistical situation to deal with. Without very regularly spaced pumps it pretty much just pooled up by the origin within a few tiles.

IIRC fooling with this:
code:
   pressure_to_speed_ratio = 0.1,
in a fluid entry does what you're looking for. Been a while but 0.1 was moderately sluggish without being annoying.