Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My G Watch would be off by 15-20% by the end of the day relative to my Fitbit. It also was not predictable in such a manner that you could just mentally correct for it (for example, 20% low every day).

While the Fitbit would show the same approximate number of steps for the same approximate daily routine, the G Watch would be wrong in different directions each day. Sometimes it'd be low, sometimes it'd be high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
So apparently Wear Lollipop is final, release either tomorrow or next week, watchface SDK is a go.

https://plus.google.com/+DerekRoss/posts/2M5zn7SDz95

:neckbeard:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just hope wear lollipop was debugged a bit more thoroughly than phone or tablet lollipop.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Three Olives posted:

So apparently Wear Lollipop is final, release either tomorrow or next week, watchface SDK is a go.

https://plus.google.com/+DerekRoss/posts/2M5zn7SDz95

:neckbeard:

Can't wait for wifi, bluetooth, and battery life to go to poo poo like with phone Lollipop.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
What are the best options out there for fitness trackers that have built in heart rate sensors? It would be paired with an Android phone, if it matters.

I was looking at the Microsoft Band for my wife for Christmas, but some of the reviews are pretty mixed. She doesn't need a pedometer, but (mostly) accurate heart rate sensing, graphs and poo poo synced somewhere, and the ability to coordinate somehow with her running app (RunKeeper, but she could switch) would be great.

Any extra features typical of smart watches would be nice but aren't necessary. If it shows the time and maybe has a stopwatch, I think she'd be fine doing everything else on her actual phone screen. She'd rather be able to set it and forget it than fiddle with settings.

Are there some coming out after Christmas that would make me regret buying now? Should I just jump on the Microsoft Band? Some reviews (including in this thread) have made me hesitant. I haven't heard much about the Basis Peak. Has anyone here tried it? Is there another option out there I'm missing?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

incogneato posted:

What are the best options out there for fitness trackers that have built in heart rate sensors? It would be paired with an Android phone, if it matters.

I was looking at the Microsoft Band for my wife for Christmas, but some of the reviews are pretty mixed. She doesn't need a pedometer, but (mostly) accurate heart rate sensing, graphs and poo poo synced somewhere, and the ability to coordinate somehow with her running app (RunKeeper, but she could switch) would be great.

Any extra features typical of smart watches would be nice but aren't necessary. If it shows the time and maybe has a stopwatch, I think she'd be fine doing everything else on her actual phone screen. She'd rather be able to set it and forget it than fiddle with settings.

Are there some coming out after Christmas that would make me regret buying now? Should I just jump on the Microsoft Band? Some reviews (including in this thread) have made me hesitant. I haven't heard much about the Basis Peak. Has anyone here tried it? Is there another option out there I'm missing?

It sounds like her goal is to get heart rate into RunKeeper and not an actual GPS enabled standalone device, in which case she probably would be much better off with a Bluetooth HR strap. If she wants to view HR and stopwatch in real time she is probably best of with a Forerunner.

Run trackers and wearables are completely different markets right now, they are both dabbling in crossovers but I just wouldn't bother with them at this point.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So I've just come across this:

http://wornandwound.com/2014/06/27/the-withings-activite/

It's so different to everything else (tap the sapphire to set alarms? 1 year batter? everthing else?) so I'm not totally convinced it's real. I'm totally into this design though, being a fan of the Max Bill they mention toward the end.

More:

http://www.withings.com/us/withings-activite.html

From the site:

> French craft. Swiss Made.
> Designed in Paris, Activit is manufactured with great care in Switzerland using exclusive watch materials and bears the precious Swiss Made label.
>
> High-end Swiss dials
> Designed in Le Locle village, the dials come in 2 colors: a sleek black pattern with an orange accent and a glistening white face with a blue accent. Both dials feature a pair of glittering hands.
>
> An unalterable watch case
> Protected by a scratch-proof domed sapphire glass, the 5 ATM water-resistant case is made from a stainless 316L alloy steel resilient to time and corrosion.
>
>A fine calf leather strap
> The stitched strap with straight cut waxed sides is made in a black or tawny Barenia leather from Haas Tanneries, the supplier of the finest French Haute Couture houses. Its soft grain and high quality promise that Activit will age beautifully.
>
> Get on the right track
> Withings Activit is a unique tool to inspire and empower a healthy lifestyle.
>
> Make every move count
> Activit fuels your healthy motivation by tracking all your movements, keeping you informed at all times and supporting your efforts - until you reach your goal.
>
> Get the rest you deserve
> Activit watches over your sleep patterns to provide comprehensive monitoring
>
> Optimize your sleep
Whatever you wear to bed, accessorize with Activit. In the morning you will have a detailed picture of your night. Activit can also wake you up with a silent vibration alarm.
> Advanced Sleep Analysis
> Using Activits data, the Health Mate app is able to build an in-depth graph of your sleep patterns and provide you with key sleep quality indicators.
> Silent Alarm
> Set an alarm in the Health Mate app and Activit will wake you with a gentle vibration. Forgot for what time you set your alarm? Simply tap twice on the glass: Activit will spin its hands to show you the alarm time, then return to the current time.
>
> Stop counting laps
> Withings Activit is able to identify and log your swimming workout.
> 5 ATM water resistant
> Activit is 5 ATM water resistant (50 m).
> Extra silicone watch strap
> Easily change straps when you exercise with the quick release spring bars.
> Swim recognition
> Feature will be available by the end of the year, after a free firmware update.
>
> No need to charge it
> No cable, no dock.
> Activit works on a CR2025 button cell providing a battery life that exceeds 8 months. When the time does come to replace the battery, simply use the provided tool.
>
> Automatic time zone changes
> Activit is connected to your smartphone and automatically displays the correct time.
> Should you fly coast to coast or abroad, the watch will instantly adjust to the corresponding time zone.
>
> Your personal coach monitor
> Withings Activit works with the Health Mate app to develop your global wellness activity plan.
> Pre-order now
> Your Withings Activit will be delivered before the general launch (end of November) and so you will be among the first to own it.
> Charged upon shipment.

Too good to be true? Did I just spam a big fat hoax I should have verified beforehand? Iunno wtf

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 4, 2014

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I'm actually rather liking my LG G Watch. Battery life seems to last a day, which is great.

Finding it's pretty useful for changing music on my phone while driving.

I wish the voice text dictation had a trigger word to tell it when I'm done because it starts sending on any pause in speaking or word that it didn't understand.

Are there any recommended watch bands? Preferably metal. I think this one is too thin so the back of the watch presses into my arm a bit.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Three Olives posted:

It sounds like her goal is to get heart rate into RunKeeper and not an actual GPS enabled standalone device, in which case she probably would be much better off with a Bluetooth HR strap. If she wants to view HR and stopwatch in real time she is probably best of with a Forerunner.

Run trackers and wearables are completely different markets right now, they are both dabbling in crossovers but I just wouldn't bother with them at this point.

I probably explained my needs wrong. Running is only one thing she does. She's very active over all and in the gym or playing sports a lot. More importantly, I think she'd get a kick out of graphs of calories burned, sleep patterns, and that sort of thing.

But I see what you're saying. Maybe these crossover smart watch/fitness trackers are a bit too new yet.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

From my own research it seems the Basis Peak and the upcoming similar device from Jawbone (2015 release) might be the best available for what you've mentioned. If the jawbone weren't so promising I'd have bought a peak already.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I don't know about everything else but touchscreen analog watches are nothing new. The Tissot T-Touch has been around for a couple of years now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

T-Touch was the first high end watch I ever bought, quite a few years ago now. At least five? Definitely showed early warning signs of my current android wear obsession.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Sextro posted:

From my own research it seems the Basis Peak and the upcoming similar device from Jawbone (2015 release) might be the best available for what you've mentioned. If the jawbone weren't so promising I'd have bought a peak already.

I think this is the right post.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The first time I legit tried to use my keylink it failed and I had to uninstall/reinstall/re-pair to make it work again. :( Sometimes I hate myself for being an early adopter.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Microsoft has the band in stock in store only right now. I was able to pick one up today, but they were going fast.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Wear 2.0 is finally out!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...cards-and-more/

Finally official custom watch faces.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Got it installed on my G Watch. It's not a massive step forward, but the ability to cancel card dismissal and the theater mode are welcome additions.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My G Watch R never got an update, which is interesting since it was really fast with the last one.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a phased rollout so it's a bit random.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
With the new update everytime I delete an email notification or anything on my Moto 360 it buzzes after it has successfully completed the action. I cannot for the life find the option to turn off this annoying buzz, anyone have any idea?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So I returned my Band after 2 weeks with the first (L) and 29 days with the second (M) at the MS store (NYC). They asked me why the return and didn't even pretend to listen to the answer. I guess they were making sure it wasn't because I broke it or whatever but they should be really looking for feedback on why it's no good hardware or software-wise.

I forgot to bring back the charging cable which cost me 20bux on the refund. ffs

6 word review : they better not gently caress up V2.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got the update now. It's... familiar?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Apparently Best Buy has the Misfit Flash for $25? Seems to be working well. I used mine to track sleep last night and in a 8 hour sleep period, I got 6 hours and 9 minutes of deep sleep. Which seems right since it takes a while for me to fall asleep.

Step tracking seems more accurate than the G Watch. I'll see how useful the fitness tracking is when I go to the gym tonight. But totally seems like a steal for $25.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was considering buying a Band, but I've wisely switched back to android finally and now there are a variety of watches compatible with my device. I want something that isn't a hybrid/analog watch with a little notifications area, but the main thing for me is media controls. Skipping songs will suffice. I'd rather not spend ~$300. Fitness features aren't necessary. My blood type is gravy

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

codo27 posted:

I was considering buying a Band, but I've wisely switched back to android finally and now there are a variety of watches compatible with my device. I want something that isn't a hybrid/analog watch with a little notifications area, but the main thing for me is media controls. Skipping songs will suffice. I'd rather not spend ~$300. Fitness features aren't necessary. My blood type is gravy

It sounds like a wear device is what you want. Get an LG G watch for under $150. It may not be the prettiest thing in the world but it'll do everything you need it to and has a battery that will last about one and a half to two days.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Protocol7 posted:

Apparently Best Buy has the Misfit Flash for $25? Seems to be working well. I used mine to track sleep last night and in a 8 hour sleep period, I got 6 hours and 9 minutes of deep sleep. Which seems right since it takes a while for me to fall asleep.

Step tracking seems more accurate than the G Watch. I'll see how useful the fitness tracking is when I go to the gym tonight. But totally seems like a steal for $25.

Thanks for this. Best buy had mailed me a $10 gift card for some reason, so for $15 how could I resist.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

It sounds like a wear device is what you want. Get an LG G watch for under $150. It may not be the prettiest thing in the world but it'll do everything you need it to and has a battery that will last about one and a half to two days.

Don't read any of the reviews of the LG G watch which were mostly retarded and buy it for under $150, there is absolutely no reason to spend more on a Wear watch right now, the platform is good but still really immature, there is no true second gen device and we are at the end of the cycle for first gen devices with nothing that doesn't involve major compromises.

If you can snag a G watch R for $200 bucks go for it, a Moto 360, meh, I wouldn't but fine, same for the Sony 3, if you really, really must the Zen Watch isn't a horrible buy at $200 full price but honestly just buy a G watch for $100-ish, you will be perfectly happen until the next gen rolls around and saved a bunch of money.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

ahahahahah I never feel more patriotic as a Canadian than when I shop online. $128 on amazon, wont ship here. $189 on amazon.ca for the exact same device.
gently caress me right off

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Put a deep scratch into my moto360 yesterday :(
I guess GG3 isn't as scratch resistant as I was expecting.

It's gone through a bunch of bumps before, but I guess knocking it into a stair rail while drunk will scratch it.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Today I learned that if you're playing a flick out of Google Play Movies & TV and your watch disconnects, the app auto-pauses your movie. I took and poo poo and when I came back I could pick up my yearly Christmas viewing of Die Hard where I left off.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

MKBHD did a top five wearable list. Not a lot of detail or surprises, seemed to be based mostly on looks, but worth watching for those who are just starting to consider one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh2wtbNrlyw

As a G Watch R fan I was disappointed that he didn't even turn the screen on or talk about it at all. The 360 is a bit sexier but the hardware/display quality difference is huge.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 15, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are there any Wear alarms where I can set it on the handset and turn it off from the watch?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Seems like the Fitbit Charge HR is actually starting to make its way out to various retailers.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Seems like the Fitbit Charge HR is actually starting to make its way out to various retailers.

I was really considering the Charge HR but I think I'm going to go with the Jawbone Up 3. The Charge just seems like it is venturing in the lovely smart watch territory and I would rather a smartwatch be a smart watch. That and I understand why Fitbit isn't supporting HealthKit or Google Fit but I think I want something a little more open.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Three Olives posted:

I was really considering the Charge HR but I think I'm going to go with the Jawbone Up 3. The Charge just seems like it is venturing in the lovely smart watch territory and I would rather a smartwatch be a smart watch. That and I understand why Fitbit isn't supporting HealthKit or Google Fit but I think I want something a little more open.

Strangely they do support Microsoft's health data service (probably because it was the only game in town for years), so the precedent is certainly there.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
It's pretty clear that they're still trying to push subscription to their "premium" service (ooh pretty graphs), which is why they refuse to allow their data to be simply output to other fitness aggregation platforms.

EDIT: Just read that you said you understand why, so disregard. I do kinda feel that the stubbornness will hurt them in the end once HeathKit starts to take off more.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Three Olives posted:

Olives, did you already preorder an Up 3?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Pebble steel is $119 right now at bestbuy if you have access to a .edu email.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Vintimus Prime posted:

Olives, did you already preorder an Up 3?

Nope, want to see a review first but short of a Samsung Fit level review of "It's poo poo" it seems like a good replacement for my Fitbit Flex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Pebble steel is $119 right now at bestbuy if you have access to a .edu email.

So you all should buy it. Paid $219 CDN for it today, and I love it so far.