Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Solumin posted:

I've been using Noodler's Borealis Black as my "daily" ink. I like that it dries very quickly, doesn't feather much on cheap paper, and flows well from my Metro. I'm thinking of asking for/getting a TWSBI 580 Diamond* for Christmas, and I'd like to pick up a second ink. How good is Noodler's 54th Massachusetts?

*I've been saying that I'll get one since August... Actually, I'm glad I waited, I really like the new red bodies.

54th Mass is the bomb diggity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Alder posted:

I really, really wanted a Hobonichi cover more than the actual planner but not sure if it's worth the high price tag. Perhaps, would you review it when it arrives? Thanks.

I got the tweed cover and the tweed feels awesome and it has nice pockets, but the leather's fake and that's a bummer considering how much it cost.

I started using the planner this week since mine starts in December and it's been great for all of 2 days. The timeline and grid on each day makes college stuff easy to arrange logically in a way that I can tell when and where I'm supposed to be doing things at a glance.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Swagger Dagger posted:

I got the tweed cover and the tweed feels awesome and it has nice pockets, but the leather's fake and that's a bummer considering how much it cost.

I started using the planner this week since mine starts in December and it's been great for all of 2 days. The timeline and grid on each day makes college stuff easy to arrange logically in a way that I can tell when and where I'm supposed to be doing things at a glance.

Thanks for the info and I'm mildly disappointed how it's fake leather too. Neat, IDK it started in Dec as I'm used to planners beginning in Jan. How do you deal with empty space/blank areas? I always think planners sound great in theory but then I realize welp there are days where I just don't have any plans, you know?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Alder posted:

Thanks for the info and I'm mildly disappointed how it's fake leather too. Neat, IDK it started in Dec as I'm used to planners beginning in Jan. How do you deal with empty space/blank areas? I always think planners sound great in theory but then I realize welp there are days where I just don't have any plans, you know?

I just roll with it, sometimes there's blank space and sometimes I write grocery lists or to-do lists or draw pictures, just whatever. I've found that being overly rigid with how I'm going to use a notebook or planner or whatever is the fastest way for me to stop using it, because once I break the pattern or fall behind I end up losing steam entirely.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Remora posted:

Seconding this, though I don't use it because I still have a bottle of Black Swan in Australian Roses (the original color, obviously) and it's my favorite ink ever ever ever.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't see this thread until recently, but I have always had a great fondness for excessively smooth pens such as rollerballs (I particularly love the uniball vision line). This led me to become interested in fountain pens after a brief dabble in a cheap calligraphy set.

I just picked up a Cross Stratford Fountain box set at Staples a few days ago for 20 bucks. It came with the pen and 6 disposable ink cartridges, and so far I have really enjoyed it. I'm wondering now if anyone has any experience with this pen. It's possible that it's extremely bad, and I just love it because fountain pens are amazing. If this is the case, I want to get an even better pen right away to feed my growing penlust.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Have you considered a Pilot Metropolitan?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
From Reddit: dang that's a nice ink, J Herbin's Stormy Grey

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Zorblack posted:

I didn't see this thread until recently, but I have always had a great fondness for excessively smooth pens such as rollerballs (I particularly love the uniball vision line). This led me to become interested in fountain pens after a brief dabble in a cheap calligraphy set.

I just picked up a Cross Stratford Fountain box set at Staples a few days ago for 20 bucks. It came with the pen and 6 disposable ink cartridges, and so far I have really enjoyed it. I'm wondering now if anyone has any experience with this pen. It's possible that it's extremely bad, and I just love it because fountain pens are amazing. If this is the case, I want to get an even better pen right away to feed my growing penlust.

I have a Cross Dubai from Staples that I picked up on a whim (it was on clearance for like :10bux:. It's a super wet writer and feathers like crazy on just about any paper and doesn't have any particular strong points for me aside from looking nice and being a weighty pen. That being said, I always reach for my Safari in EF and this is a very wet M, so I didn't expect to be wowed.

I think if you like it, keep using it and consider adding (several) Metropolitans to your stable. The M nibs on those are slightly less wet than the ones on the Cross and since they're brass, they have a similar good weight. You might also consider getting some different nib sizes and types as they suit you. I love practicing lettering with my Pilot Parallels, for example and my first fountain pen was a Plumix (I've since swapped the nib onto a Metropolitan).

Part of why this is a fun hobby is that you can feed that penlust in so many (often cheap) ways.

And then you have to get inks for those pens....:negative:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Zorblack posted:

Keep using it! Figure out what you like and what you don't like from the pen and then go from there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That stormy grey is really nice but I can't shake the feeling that I'd just be putting on airs if I wrote with a gilded ink.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
To be fair it seems he's really overworked the pen specifically for the gilded effect, also it's 2014 and you're using a fountain pen so it's a little late to worry about airs

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

EnsGDT posted:

Remora posted:

Seconding this, though I don't use it because I still have a bottle of Black Swan in Australian Roses (the original color, obviously) and it's my favorite ink ever ever ever.

For what it's worth, my TWSBI Vac 700 hated hated HATED 54th Massachusetts, and the ink pretty much permanently coats the inside of the barrel so you don't get to see the ink sloshing around inside your demonstrator. There's a lot I like about the ink, but that's two reasons I might not recommend it for a Diamond 580.

Edited to add: I mean, coats the barrel while you have the pen filled with the ink. It rinses out afterward. And right now I have the Vac 700 filled with Iroshizuku black, which also clings to the barrel.

C-- has de Atramentis Sherlock Holmes in her 580 USA -- now that is a great color ink that looks really good when sloshing.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 3, 2014

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Today, after almost a full two weeks with my Metro, I decided that my initial impression was correct and the M nib is indeed too broad for my handwriting/preferences. So I have an Penmanship with the EF nib headed my way to swap into my current Metro, as well as another Metro with the F nib so I can try both out. And I'd still maybe like to pick up a Lamy Al-Star and/or Logo at some point, not to mention the possibility of nicer/vintage pens. Oh god, what have you people done to me? :P

Can't say this surprises me a whole lot. I had a strong feeling looking at the samples Goulet provides I'd want the F nib over the M. (But I also really wanted the zigzag pattern body, which only came in the M.) And my previous preferred pens were the Pilot G2 0.38mm and the Sakura Pigma Micron 0.30mm, so that already set a precedent.

This is all based on the Pilot ink cartridge that came with my Metro, anyway, I haven't tried any of my samples yet. That'll be coming soon though, as the cartridge is about empty and I'll probably just keep the one that comes with my 2nd Metro as an emergency backup.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

cobalt impurity posted:

Have you considered a Pilot Metropolitan?

I know this is legit, good advice, but it always makes me laugh. The answer really is always to get a pilot metro.

Anyway if someone in here would be interested in swapping ink with me when I get that free bottle of Lamy Black then PM me. Otherwise I'll probably throw it in SA Mart or just deal with it. Blue would be nice.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is there any reason to get a Pilot Metro when I've got a Lamy Safari? I presume they're pretty similar in terms of how they write? I went for the Safari over the Metro because I liked the look of the triangular grip and I couldn't really differentiate between "the starter pen" and "wonderful entry-level pen" (also when I looked on Amazon UK I could only see Pilot MR which I didn't realise was the Metro, and then I spotted a Safari in a shop).

Anyway, two weeks after getting a Safari in medium, I'm now waiting for a second one, fine, in black, so I don't have to keep carting it between work and home and I wanted to try a finer nib. But I'm wondering if I should have got a Metro for the variety.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Swagger Dagger posted:

That stormy grey is really nice but I can't shake the feeling that I'd just be putting on airs if I wrote with a gilded ink.

The gilded effect is strong because there's such a thick layer of dried ink writing flexed, you probably wouldn't notice if you write with a normal nib and don't flex.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

chizad posted:

Today, after almost a full two weeks with my Metro, I decided that my initial impression was correct and the M nib is indeed too broad for my handwriting/preferences. So I have an Penmanship with the EF nib headed my way to swap into my current Metro, as well as another Metro with the F nib so I can try both out. And I'd still maybe like to pick up a Lamy Al-Star and/or Logo at some point, not to mention the possibility of nicer/vintage pens. Oh god, what have you people done to me? :P

Can't say this surprises me a whole lot. I had a strong feeling looking at the samples Goulet provides I'd want the F nib over the M. (But I also really wanted the zigzag pattern body, which only came in the M.) And my previous preferred pens were the Pilot G2 0.38mm and the Sakura Pigma Micron 0.30mm, so that already set a precedent.

This is all based on the Pilot ink cartridge that came with my Metro, anyway, I haven't tried any of my samples yet. That'll be coming soon though, as the cartridge is about empty and I'll probably just keep the one that comes with my 2nd Metro as an emergency backup.

If you're going to go with Lamy, realize that their nib sizes are bigger than the equivalent in Pilots. You'd want an F or XF, the M would be way too wide for you. My Vista with an M nib was also scratchier than my Metro with an M nib, for what that's worth.

chippy posted:

Is there any reason to get a Pilot Metro when I've got a Lamy Safari? I presume they're pretty similar in terms of how they write? I went for the Safari over the Metro because I liked the look of the triangular grip and I couldn't really differentiate between "the starter pen" and "wonderful entry-level pen" (also when I looked on Amazon UK I could only see Pilot MR which I didn't realise was the Metro, and then I spotted a Safari in a shop).

Anyway, two weeks after getting a Safari in medium, I'm now waiting for a second one, fine, in black, so I don't have to keep carting it between work and home and I wanted to try a finer nib. But I'm wondering if I should have got a Metro for the variety.

No. The metro is generally smoother and slightly less expensive than the Safari/Vista while also coming with all the accouterments one needs to get started, but if you prefer the look and feel of the Safari then go nuts. I really liked the triangular grip and the ability to swap out nibs easily (and buy them seperately), but at the same time I also prefer the Metro's weight from being all metal and the F nib I yanked out of a Kakuno is a perfect writer for my office work as well as just being bright and cheery. :)

A lot of the bullshit with pens is finding something that fits your preferences, and the Metro is an affordable starting point, but so is the Safari. I'd recommend a beginner getting both and comparing them after getting used to using them.

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East
So, I've been using fountain pens for a few years now, but have always had trouble with the feeds on cheaper pens (and the Noodler's Ahab) skipping or writing too dry. I've always used tap water to flush them out and clean parts. Does the addition of household ammonia make a noticable difference when cleaning feeds? Has anyone tried a different substance, like a small amount of dish soap?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

My nice TWISBI demonstrator cap always has ink in it :argh:

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

chippy posted:

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

I think the best part of this post is referring to your pen bag as your "Everyday Carry."

"By god, I don't step out the door without my .357 Smith and Wesson snub nose loaded up with hollow points and my Pilot Metro loaded up with Heart of Darkness."

On a related note, I'm grabbing a Metro off of Amazon now to compare to my current sidearm.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

cobalt impurity posted:

If you're going to go with Lamy, realize that their nib sizes are bigger than the equivalent in Pilots. You'd want an F or XF, the M would be way too wide for you. My Vista with an M nib was also scratchier than my Metro with an M nib, for what that's worth.

No. The metro is generally smoother and slightly less expensive than the Safari/Vista while also coming with all the accouterments one needs to get started, but if you prefer the look and feel of the Safari then go nuts. I really liked the triangular grip and the ability to swap out nibs easily (and buy them seperately), but at the same time I also prefer the Metro's weight from being all metal and the F nib I yanked out of a Kakuno is a perfect writer for my office work as well as just being bright and cheery. :)

A lot of the bullshit with pens is finding something that fits your preferences, and the Metro is an affordable starting point, but so is the Safari. I'd recommend a beginner getting both and comparing them after getting used to using them.

Plus the safari has an ink window (right?) which is great for people who write away from home and don't want to carry an ink bottle around with them! I hate running out of ink while I'm in class.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Is there a nice/neat way to fill my pen (Metro, but any pen) with a converter? I dip the nib into the ink, squeeze the converter until I think it's full...then pull the nib out and wipe all the ink off? That part is always messy for me, is there a simpler way to do it that I'm missing, or is it just messy? Is there a good technique to use to reduce mess/wasted ink?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

that one guy posted:

Is there a nice/neat way to fill my pen (Metro, but any pen) with a converter? I dip the nib into the ink, squeeze the converter until I think it's full...then pull the nib out and wipe all the ink off? That part is always messy for me, is there a simpler way to do it that I'm missing, or is it just messy? Is there a good technique to use to reduce mess/wasted ink?

You could pull out the converter and use an eyedropper to fill it with ink instead of dunking the pen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Use a syringe to fill the converter. Even then though it's going to be a little messy, but inky fingers is part of the fun of fountain pens!

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

If you don't habitually go about your business with technicolor hands, I don't know what you're doing.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

angerbot posted:

Wow I never thought of using the comic drawing nib as a fountain pen nib replacement! I think I have my Nikko G somewhere...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

khamul posted:

So, I've been using fountain pens for a few years now, but have always had trouble with the feeds on cheaper pens (and the Noodler's Ahab) skipping or writing too dry. I've always used tap water to flush them out and clean parts. Does the addition of household ammonia make a noticable difference when cleaning feeds? Has anyone tried a different substance, like a small amount of dish soap?

I use a bit of rubbing alcohol on my non-M600 pens once in a while, especially on the feeds. It cleans ink you didn't know was there, even Baystate Blue.

EDIT:

I think you need a TWSBI for variety. Maybe a nice blue Vac 700 or the 580AL...

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 3, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

angerbot posted:

I want some of that ink so bad but so does apparently everyone else. Has it ever come back in stock anywhere?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Hey, that's pretty nice handwriting. What's the purple pen there?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Anybody got some insight in regards to the current run of the Noodler's Nib Creaper? I'd like to try something with a decent amount of flex and the Konrad was a little big for my tastes.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

Meldonox posted:

Hey, that's pretty nice handwriting. What's the purple pen there?

Why, thank you.

It's a Lamy Safari . It's more burgundy than purple in person. Still pretty.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Ok, falcon question time. My pen seems to be starting each stroke quite light and finishing heavy/wet rather than staying uniform. Anyone else had this issue?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

strangemusic posted:

Ok, falcon question time. My pen seems to be starting each stroke quite light and finishing heavy/wet rather than staying uniform. Anyone else had this issue?

Soft pens can do that. I have a flexy Waterman pen, it does the same thing. Are you applying pressure on the barrel on the downstroke?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Help, pen nerds. I was on the phone and started doodling with my Safari on the outside of an Amazon package, on the cardboard and the shipping label, and then the thing stopped flowing properly, scratchy with only a small amount of ink coming through.

Neither of the things I was drawing on feel sticky or anything like that, doesn't seem like there would be anything that would gunge up the nib, but I took out the cartridge and ran a load of hot water through it, then replaced the cartridge. Now I'm just getting a very small mount of watery blue through it, although the amount doe seem to be gradually increasing. How can I get it going again?

e: If I lay the back of the nib on some tissue paper, dark blue starts spreading into it pretty drat quickly so it doesn't seem like it's just having trouble getting to the actual tip of the nib.

ee: Still can't get the bloody thing going. How on earth have I hosed up a two week old pen. My manager wrote something with it right before it happened, is there anything he could have done? If he pressed down on the nib and damaged it, it wouldn't stop the ink flowing would it? I don't' think he did that anyway, it looks fine.

chippy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 4, 2014

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

chippy posted:

Help, pen nerds. I was on the phone and started doodling with my Safari on the outside of an Amazon package, on the cardboard and the shipping label, and then the thing stopped flowing properly, scratchy with only a small amount of ink coming through.

Neither of the things I was drawing on feel sticky or anything like that, doesn't seem like there would be anything that would gunge up the nib, but I took out the cartridge and ran a load of hot water through it, then replaced the cartridge. Now I'm just getting a very small mount of watery blue through it, although the amount doe seem to be gradually increasing. How can I get it going again?

e: If I lay the back of the nib on some tissue paper, dark blue starts spreading into it pretty drat quickly so it doesn't seem like it's just having trouble getting to the actual tip of the nib.

Don't write on cardboard with a fountain pen. Cardboard particles are stuck in your nib, if you run a brass sheet between the tines you should be able to clear it. If you don't have a copper sheet a piece of paper might work. Same thing can happen if you write on newspaper or recycled paper.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Brightman posted:

Don't write on cardboard with a fountain pen. Cardboard particles are stuck in your nib, if you run a brass sheet between the tines you should be able to clear it. If you don't have a copper sheet a piece of paper might work. Same thing can happen if you write on newspaper or recycled paper.

Bleak. OK, cheers for that. Anyone know where I can get a brass sheet in the UK?

e: Seems like it might be cheaper/easier to get a new nib...

chippy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 4, 2014

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East

chippy posted:

ee: Still can't get the bloody thing going. How on earth have I hosed up a two week old pen. My manager wrote something with it right before it happened, is there anything he could have done? If he pressed down on the nib and damaged it, it wouldn't stop the ink flowing would it? I don't' think he did that anyway, it looks fine.

A lot of times I find that when writing on cardboard or other fibrous material you get fibers in the slit of the nib. I just take my fingers and wipe or pull the foreign material out gently, at the cost of having inky fingers. After you've flushed out your pen you will probably have water in the feed unless you give it time to dry out. Leeching ink out with a tissue or other absorbent material can get the watery ink out of the way though. Fibers and residual water are both fairly harmless to the long term functioning of a fountain pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

chippy posted:

Bleak. OK, cheers for that. Anyone know where I can get a brass sheet in the UK?

e: Seems like it might be cheaper/easier to get a new nib...

Just try using the corner of a piece of paper, or take it apart and flush the nib like crazy under a tap maybe. You could use it as an excuse to get an italic nib though if you wish.